1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

DP Battle Tower Records

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Peterko, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shipship

shipship

Yeah HP Fighting would be way too weak to get the required OHKO's.
  2. Chinese Dood

Chinese Dood

If the calculator I'm using is accurate, Alakazam's Expert Belt HP Fighting (assuming 70) will always just be a tiny short of OHKO on a Tyranitar that has either 255 HP or 255 Sp Def.

Looking at the Battle Tower Pokemon database, ... 2 of the Ttars have 255 HP. One that doesn't have HP EVs has Speed EVs and Scarf, which will outspeed Alakazam if it's +Speed. The other that doesn't have HP EVs has Chople Berry, which means HP Fighting won't OHKOed either (Focus Blast won't OHKO that one too).
  3. shipship

shipship

Did you give Tyranitar +1 Sp Def?

I ask because "just short of a OHKO" is way too high. HP Fight doesn't come close to a OHKO because of the +1 Sp Def.
  4. shipship

shipship

True on both points.

I just haven't bothered to change them yet because this is the Scizor I use for player-to-player battling, where U-Turn and Pursuit are better.
  5. Chinese Dood

Chinese Dood

I did. But I must have entered a number or two wrong haha. I just tried it again just now. Alakazam does a max of 98% damage even when Ttar has neither HP or SpDef EVs. With Ttar having max HP, Alakazam's HP Fight 70 only does a max of 83-ish %.
  6. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

ok on my doubles team..
    water pulse over hydro pump on ludicolo???I just lost at 38 cause of parahax and blast missig 2 times so i put lum on ludi and WP>Hydro pump.is it a good idea?
    oh and would't LO be better on zam in shipship's team?
  7. Shelcario

Shelcario

Water Pulse versus Hydro Pump,

Water Pulse:More accurate,can cause confusion,offers STAB,less power

Hydro Pump:Less accurate,offers STAB,more power
  8. McGrrr

McGrrr Facetious
    is a Contributor Alumnus

More relevant for battle tower would be:

Water Pulse: too weak, will regularly make winning more difficult than it should be (and by extension likely to cost you your streak)
    Hydro pump: the accuracy is going to screw you sooner or later (and by extension likely to cost you your streak)

Conclusion: both are flawed, don't use either one.
  9. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

not really..i have been facing greater success with watrpulse then hydro pump.
  10. Dan Dan

Dan Dan

Maybe you can run Surf on Ludi, and change Jolteon to a Water Absorber like Lapras who can still use Thunder and set up Rain Dance?
  11. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

That would be cool...but i need the speed and the high sp.att+lapras has to many weaknesses..Oh and i had replaced relicanth with slaking and he was doing fine but both times i lost to a bronzong so i think i wanna replace slaking to a more powerfull scarfer.Who can attack each turn :p
    I Really have no idea who to put in the 4th slot.
  12. Lightsabre

Lightsabre

maybe HP[water]? it's ten points higher then water pulse if you get perfection

I think that with HP water the power is 105 compared to 90(water pulse) with STAB and 157(HP[water]) to 135(water pulse) with rain. and that can make a difference
  13. duckjerky

duckjerky

I think the farthest I've gotten has been 45 in the singles, and I am not really into doubles (translation: I suck >_>) w/ this team, I think :

Miltank@Leftovers (Jolly)
    Scrappy
    252 HP/80 ATK/120DEf/58 Spe
    Return
    Toxic
    Milk Drink
    Heal Bell

Ambipom @ Muscle Band (Also Jolly)
    252 ATK/252 Spe/6 HP
    Fake Out
    Double Hit (might change that to return and stop fearing subs)
    U-Turn
    Brick Break (Might change to Aerial Ace to avoid getting DT'd)

Mismagius@Wise Glasses (Hasty this time)
    252 SA/252 Spe/6HP
    Will-o
    Thunderbolt
    Energy Ball
    Shadow Ball

I just get plain out walled, DT'd or Quick Claw+OHKO'd.
  14. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

Well you need a fast Super ultra fast hard hitting sweeper or a setup stratergy as you can see stall teams dont work in the BT.
    And you need to change your natures to differetn stats.
  15. Chinese Dood

Chinese Dood

Toxi-stall works fine in single battle tower. Peterko did use Skarmory on his 459 streak one to do that and it worked fine.

That having said, Impish is definitely the way to go for Miltank, especially since not much speed EVs are invested anyway.

@Lightsabre: While HP Water could potentially get a base power of 70, it's not like it's an easy task to do, and imo it is not worth it for the 5 extra base power compared to Bubblebeam. HP Water would be better used on a non-water type pokemon that can't really learn other water moves. I agree with Dan Dan's idea.

@duckjerky: without Brick Break on Ambipom, Magnezone walls the entire team, and Tyranitar will be fairly troublesome as well. A resting Snorlax will also be tough to take down, with or without brick break. Having two pure normal types isn't that great as they share a common weakness, and neither of those normal types have any resistance aside from ghost.
  16. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

I thought i would take a break from doubles and try a single streak and
    Just Beat my old singles record of 123 and got to 141 :),With the following team :

Umbreon @ Focus Sash**Beachy
    careful/calm
    syncronize(I think i spelled it wrong)
    252hp/252sp.def/6def
    ~Yawn
    ~Charm
    ~Flash
    ~Substitute

Beachboy's smexy creation.i just had to try it out hats of to him.

Garchomp @ Lum berry**Game Shrak
    Jolly
    Sand Veil
    252att/252spd/6def
    ~Outrage
    ~Earthquake
    ~Sword Dance
    ~Substitute

Sorry arch,Just had to steal the awsome nick :P
    About chomp:"words"

Scizor @ leftovers**Sniper
    adamant
    Tecnition
    72hp/252att/184spd
    ~Sword Dance
    ~Quick attack
    ~Brick Break
    ~Night slash

My lack of platinum really hurts.As sooon as it come out im going to change it :)

How I lost:
    Dark sent out beachy
    AI send out hitmonlee.

Im certain it is gonna CC so i go for yawn.

hitmonlee used close combat
    A critical hit.
    Beachy held on with sash(or some such)
    Beachy used yawn

OK so im right i decide to let beachy die so chomp can get a free switch.

Hitmonlee used blaze kick
    The attack missed
    Beachy used charm.

Ok that was freakin gay.no free switch on a sleeping poke for me.so i decide to charm once more.

Hitmonlee is fast asleep.Zzzz
    Beachy used charm.

Maybe i can get in a few flashes and hope he misses is my next thought.

Hitmonlee Woke up.
    Hitmonlee used blaze kick.
    Beahy fainted.

Gay

Go GAME SHRAK
    Ok so this is where the mistakes start.

Garchomp used SD.
    Hitmonlee used close combat.
    garchomp lost around 23%

Frankly i just wanted to see if i could keep a sub up without wasting a turn and I could so yeah.

Game shark used earthquake.
    Hitmonlee held on using focus sash
    hitmonlee used CC.
    CTITICAL FUCKING HIT
    Game shark fainted.

TBH i knew it held a sash from my experience with the tower as the sash one has blaze kick so i wanted it to sash then sub then kill it.So i take minimal DMG.looks like i wasn't haxed but lost due to stupid play.the rest is self -explnatory as scizor quick attacks it and is up against a straptor at -1.

I think this team can get past 200 but am to lazy to give it another shot.ill wait till i get platinum and then get scizor with BP and superpower along with sub.

Ironic isn't it, The AI gets haxed and i lose :(
  17. Polis4rule

Polis4rule

shipship, may I try out your team to see how far it gets me?
  18. Battle-Tower Challenger

Battle-Tower Challenger

I have a question. Will the AI pokemon switch if i use perish song?
  19. Shelcario

Shelcario

More than likely they will, another example of when the AI also switches is if the opponents' pokemon has the ability Natural Cure such as Starmie and you poison or paralyze it next turn the AI will more than likely switch.
  20. shipship

shipship

I got to 139 wins with this team which is my best for doubles so far.

On Scizor, I actually stuck with U-Turn over X-Scissor. The slight loss of power is very rarely an issue, but U-Turn lets you switch-out afterwards which is actually quite useful in doubles. There are many occasions where you want to hit something hard with U-Turn once but switch to something else afterwards. Since not attacking is a HUGE liability in doubles (even more so with an offensive team) the free switch you get after U-Turn is very useful.

I actually lost to an all-Eevee team. I got overconfident and played very poorly. The Flareon with Overheat and Quick Attack did a number on my team (I didn't see it as much of a threat initially). My Heatran got killed by the Vaporeon with Hydro Pump that ran a ton of Sp Def Ev's. I thought I could 2HKO it with a Heatran Fire Blast (Flash Fire boosted) followed by an Alakazam Energy Ball, but it lived both hits with like 5% health afterwards and thus did like 95% to my Heatran with Hydro Pump. In the end my Scizor was stuck on Bullet Punch vs Leafeon. Normally Scizor walls Leafeon quite badly but the super-annoying one with Sand-Attack and GrassWhistle managed to beat me before I was able to 3HKO it (Bullet Punch missed twice when he was down to red because of stupid Sand-Attack). I definitely could have won it if I didn't play badly but oh well.

Will post a screenshot later (includes both my 267 in singles and 139 in doubles).

EDIT:
    [​IMG]
  21. shipship

shipship

Sure go for it.
  22. kd24

kd24 yo daddy musta been a drug dealer? why, cuz you're dope
    is a Pokemon Researcheris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

just found my old diamond game and my ds, will be trying to "streak" again for singles (i think someone passed me on top 30)
  23. shipship

shipship

Here is my screenshot. My 139 streak in doubles hasn't been updated yet.

[​IMG]
  24. MapleSandwich

MapleSandwich

I've gotten 28 in Wi-Fi so far, and that's streak could still be going if I bother to pick up my Diamond again. The team I used has been changed up as I've climbed the ladder to rank 10, but this is the team I'm using for this streak:

Lucario @ Focus Sash
    Timid
    Inner Focus
    40 ATK/252SPD/216 SpAtk
    -Swords Dance
    -Close Combat
    -Dark Pulse
    -Counter

Countersash Lucario always earns a lot of laughs against the silly BT computer. Almost every Scizor and Garchomp and Tyranitar run into Counter for the OHKO. Swords Dance + Close Combat is for a potential sweep against a weaksauce lead that can't KO me. Dark Pulse is for all the Azelf and Gengar.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf/Colbur Berry
    Hasty
    Levitate
    4HP/252SpAtk/252SPD
    -Hypnosis
    -Shadow Ball
    -Destiny Bond
    -Thunderbolt
    Another lulzy Pokemon that manipulates the tower. Scarf Gengar can outspeed anything and shut down sweepers in the blink of an eye with Destiny Bond. However, I found Hyposis on a scarfer was rather lame, and he could outspeed and sleep a lot of threats and 2HKO them with Shadow Ball assuming my luck held up. TBolt for Ghost Resists 'n stuff.

Articuno @ Leftovers
    Sassy
    Pressure
    252HP/78DEF/174 SPATK
    -Ice Beam
    -Roost
    -Toxic
    -HP Ground
    This used to be my Shuffler for Wi-Fi, but I found the overabundance of Garchomp was getting to me. So I adapted and substituted this for Swampert. Can easily survive a boosted Dragon Claw or unboosted Outrage, especially since rocks aren't as common on the Wi-Fi tower. Toxic is for everything that would take too long to KO otherwise. The convenient HP Ground is for any Scarftran that find their way here, as it can eat a Fire Blast too and my team's screwed against them otherwise. But with BP Scizor everywhere now, I might be forced to switch back to Swampert.
  25. Battle-Tower Challenger

Battle-Tower Challenger

i looked at jumpmans lopunny-team and cresselia. its really cool that lopunny can use Charm. but..why do nobody use a
    Mesprit?? <3
    it can Charm AND trick the enemy and has bulky stats with a speed that is not bad. did you notice that?
    or is there a fact I didnt notice?

whats your opinion?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)