1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

DP Battle Tower Records

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Peterko, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shipship

shipship

Can someone please update?

I don't mean to insist but it's been there for a week.
  2. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

updated after 2 months...shipship don´t be such a crybaby, there were non-updated records posted mid-december ._.

btw. put the pic into the post that I link to in your doubles record, if it isn´t there already

LOL ET I´m not dead and I´m always around ;)
  3. Groombridge

Groombridge

He lives etc!

Just wanted to throw some props to Peterko, Jumpman and Team Rocket Elite for this excellent thread. When this first started in September 2007, competitive Pokemon was all about Shoddy, playing against people not the AI - this thread pretty much single-handedly legitimised BT as a form of 'real' Pokemon worthy of time and attention. I'm sure the leaderboard is the reason many of us play, so thanks to Peterko for maintaining it (to the point where we get agitated if a new record doesn't go up!).

Thanks for the Latios advice: I assumed you had 26 HP for a very specific reason...

And not to bug you or anything, but I'm on the board for Multi twice (at No.5 and No.7-9)...

EDIT: (b' ')b
  4. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

Petereko:just a general question,Have you quit the battle tower?Or do you still play it?
  5. Griffin

Griffin

I have a question for the more experienced BT players. Do the opposing Pokémon switch out when affected by Perish Song?

Edit: A quick test (I turned out to have a Perish Singer in my box!) learns that the first battle Aron switched on the turn he would have fainted. Can anyone confirm if every Pokémon in the battle tower (specifically doubles) acts that way?
  6. Froshy

Froshy

OH OH OH SOO CLOSE ON MULTI BATTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grr...got to 56...gah needed that last battle but the damned Emo Speed Pokemon Trainer I teamed up with lost both her pokemon and left me with a Magnezone and Togekiss. I think I got up here with much luck before skill because my partner had won the last 6 battles for me, plus I'm using UUs which most usually don't. Anyways, here it is...I forgot the EVs but I'm gonna try to remember.

Nidoking
    Mild @ Life Orb
    252 Spe_120 Atk_136 SAtk
    -Earthquake
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Ice Beam
    -Thunderbolt

Azumarill
    Jolly @ Choice Band
    156HP_96Atk_252 Spe
    -Waterfall
    -Ice Punch
    -Superpower
    -Return
  7. PurpleNurple42

PurpleNurple42

Good news and bad news.

I made it over 300 with my double battles team. It is such a good team that not only did I make it to 300 but I also made it to 301 and then crushed trainer 301 and saved the game. And after that my boss yelled at me at work for playing videogames so I traded in my DS and games for a PSP and now I watch movies at work, he doesn't seem to care about that, i don't know why? Oh well, maybe someone will buy my old pokemon diamond and continue my double battle streak (i saved them in an exclusive box marked DOUBLE BATTLES, or something like that).

I hope Darkseeker or someone will give my team a try, i'd like to see how far someone else could get with it :)
  8. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

I did try it and lost at 71 but now im giving it a break to try out TR.Deutornopia is absolutly awsome.he really has been helping me out.
    Ill get back to the explsosion team after i finish up with th TR team :p
  9. Groombridge

Groombridge

Good luck, dude! Whichever team you use, I'm sure you'll make the leaderboard before long...

- -
    Multi: 69 wins.

Latios @ Choice Specs
    Timid, Levitate
    26 HP, 252 SpA, 232 Spe (changing to 252 Spe soon)

Draco Meteor/Psychic/Surf/Thunderbolt

Metagross @ Wide Lens
    Adamant, Clear Body
    152 HP, 252 Atk, 100 SpD

Meteor Mash/Bullet Punch/Ice Punch/Earthquake

Almost got to 70, but a team of legendaries took me apart due to a combination of misplaying and having a partner with a Gardevoir.

The AI team starts with Tyranitar and Suicune. My partner has a Latias (Psychic/GK/Energy Ball/Recover @ Colbur Berry) and a CM Gardevoir. Obviously I'm in trouble. I could go for a 2HKO on TTar with Surf, but that will do nothing to Suicune and Meta won't be able to shift it if Latios dies. Furthermore, Suicune's Ice Beam will OHKO Latios, probably Latias too, and if it has Blizzard, that could kill both of us simultaneously. TTar is bad news, but it can't take both dragons out at once.

I decide to drop Draco Meteor on Suicune, predicting that Latias will attack it too since it can do more damage to that than to TTar. Meta can deal with TTar in time.

Turn 1
    Latios: DM Suicune, 15% left
    Latias: GK Suicune, kill
    TTar: Crunch Latias, Colbur, 40% left

AI: Moltres

Both dragons are alive still, but Moltres is a problem for Meta. Here, I decide to hit Moltres with DM, but I'm not sre if that will kill. Latias will probably go for TTar, but it might help me out some with a random Psychic.

Turn 2
    Latios: DM Moltres, miss
    Latias: GK TTar, 45% left
    Moltres: Air Slash Latias, kill
    TTar: Crunch Latios, kill

Me: Meta
    Partner: Gardevoir

Balls. Latios missing didn't affect things too much, as it turned out. I have to kill some pokes, fast. Hoping that Meta will survive Moltres' attack, I use MM on TTar since Gardevoir will die otherwise. Gardy will use its TBolt on Moltres.

Turn 3
    Moltres: Flamethrower Meta, kill
    Gardevoir: Thunderbolt Moltres, whatever
    TTar: Crunch Gardevoir, kill

Well, crap. It's always annoying to lose on the seventh battle of a run...

Taking out Suicune wasn't such a bad move, given Latias' Colbur Berry - it could survive TTar hitting it. Suicune could potentially OHKO both dragons and would have stomped my side with a CM or two, so it had to go.

Looking back, I should have switched Meta in on Turn 2 as a sacrifice, so Latios could return to Surf Moltres and TTar away. I could have predicted that Latias would go for TTar, weakening it for Surf - which OHKOs Moltres regardless. It would have been Gardevoir and Latios locked into Surf for the last poke, which might not have been so bad.

All told, I'm really enjoying Multi. The challenge of predicting your partner as well as your opponents is rewarding when you get it right!
  10. crobatchop

crobatchop

Is Soul Dew allowed in BT? (Don't worry, I don't have one)
  11. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

Yes its allowed but it doesn't work!
  12. Nipa

Nipa

Doubles: 87 wins

Metagross @ Choice scarf
    Jolly 28 / 31 / 4 / 0 / 31 / 31
    252 Spe 252 Atk 6 HP
    -Explosion
    -Hammer arm
    (random)

Gengar @ Focus sash
    Timid 16 / 6 / 29 / 9 / 7 / 28
    252 Spe 252 SpA 6 HP
    -Destiny bond
    -Shadow ball
    -Thunder bolt
    -Psychic

Garchomp @ Yache berry
    Jolly 28 / 26 / 28 / 3 / 31 / 31
    252 Atk 252 Spe 6 HP
    -Swords dance
    -Dragon claw
    -Crunch
    -Earthquake
    (Failed at outrage... Have it too long at daycare D: )

Infernape @ Choice band (Chanced into LO nowadays)
    Jolly 23 / 31 / 14 / 29 - 31 / 4 / 31
    255 Atk 255 Spe(...)
    -Flare blitz
    -Close combat
    (random)

Strategy is just explode with Meta and Gengar kills ghosts. Yache berry make sure that Chomp can have at least one SD without dieing and then sweep hard.

I got 57 in singles with same team but without Meta.
  13. Chinese Dood

Chinese Dood

Aw, SO CLOSE to getting a record on here! :( I misplayed, and got hit by critical hit, but hey I'm still happy I made it past 100!
    Double Battle Streak: 103

Team:
    Lead#1: Togekiss - Calm - Serene Grace @ Lum Berry
    EVs: 252 HP 252 Def 4 Sp A.
    IVs: 30 / 27 / 24 / 31 / 27 / 0
    - Follow Me / Wish / Protect / Air Slash

Lead#2: Snorlax - Relaxed - Thick Fat @ Leftovers
    EVs: 176 HP 80 Attack 252 Defense
    IVs: 30 / 30 / 30 / 31 / 30 / 3
    - Belly Drum / Protect / Return / Earthquake

Bronzong - Sassy - Levitate @ Chesto Berry
    EVs: 252 HP 252 Def 4 Attack
    IVs: 31 / 31 / 31 / 23 / 26 / 26
    - Trick Room / Psych Up / Faint Attack / Earthquake

Gyarados - Adamant - Intimidate @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 52 HP 252 Attack 28 Def 4 SDef 172 Speed
    IVs: 27 / 31 / 31 / 24 / 31 / 31
    - Waterfall / Ice Fang / Return / Earthquake

The typical battle happens like this:
    Turn 1:
    Togekiss Follow Me. Snorlax Belly Drum

Turn 2:
    Togekiss Follow Me. Snorlax attacks. If Earthquake can kill at least one pokemon (and hurt the another), then use Earthquake. Earthquake 2HKOs anything that's not resisted.

... Togekiss keeps using Follow Me, unless I'm pretty sure Snorlax won't die, or unless I'm sure opp will aim for Togekiss without follow me anyway, in which case Togekiss uses protect (or Wish if I think Togekiss can survive). There are other cases where Togekiss would use air slash, but not too common. After Togekiss faints... Bronzong comes in.

Turn Whatever:
    Snorlax used Protect!
    Bronzong used Trick Room.... then the turn after that Snorlax attacks while Bronzong uses Psych Up on Snorlax. Pretty much IF this set up worked, Gyarados is never used.

When I face certain fighting type leads, or ground type leads (that will use earthquake to by-pass Follow Me), first turn I Protect with Togekiss while switching Gyarados in to deal with them first. Other times, I switch in Gyarados just to get the Intimidate in.

So here's how I lost:
    Facing Dragonite and Aerodactyl Lead...
    --> I figured they're probably physical (well, aero is for sure), so I'll just get Gyarados in for intimidate while either Ice Fang or Waterfall next turn depending on what the situation is.
    Turn 1: Gyarados comes in and intimidates. Dragonite restored with White Herb (ok that's cool too). Togekiss Protects. Aerodactyl used Rock Slide (~60-ish% to Gyarados I think). Dragonite used Draco Meteor on Gyarados. Gyarados fainted.

--> O well, at least I got the Intimidate on Aerodactyl and rid Dragonite of its White Herb so Dragonite's at -2 SpA. I'll just go for belly drum now.
    Turn 2: Togekiss used Follow Me. Aero Rock Slides (~18% to Togekiss, ~11% to Snorlax), Dragonite used Thunder (~36% to Togekiss). Paralyzed Togekiss. Lum activated. Snorlax Belly Drums.

--> Then the next turn I dunno why. I just figured that Dragonite's going to attack Togekiss anyway, and Aerodactyl's gonna use Rock slide. so Togekiss might as well take this time for Wishing while Snorlax OHKOs Aerodactyl with its not very effective Return.
    Turn 3: Aerodactyl used Rock slide. some damage to Togekiss. CRITICAL HIT on Snorlax, putting Snorlax to low yellow. Dragonite Draco Meteor Snorlax. Snorlax fainted. :(

--> It was pretty much over after this, since I'm left with 2 low attacking pokemon (Bronzong & Togekiss). I tried to see if I can manage to win out of this still. Bronzong used Trick Room. Togekiss got paralyzed by Thunder again. Basically Togekiss just kept using Wish and Protect, and sneaked in an air slash when possible. Bronzong just kept using faint attack with no good result. I just double targetted on Aero, since Dragonite was at -4SpA already. I was hoping that if Dragonite runs out of Thunders, I might still have a chance if Bronzong and Togekiss just keep targetting Aero.

Guess what? Aero fainted, after like 6 or 7 turns lol. But... Rampardos came into play with MOLD BREAKER, and it just so happens that Trick Room JUST ran out, ugh... Rampardos first KO'd Togekiss with Stone Edge. I was hoping it's choiced (though now I just checked that the choiced one doesn't have stone edge). If it WAS I still had a slim slim chance. But yah, Bronzong actually survived one earthquake when it was just at 60% health, which surprised me, but yah, lost the next turn.

Uh, sorry for long post. I tend to get carried away with these things. I'm not sure if Gyarados is fitting. I've thought of using Gyarados, Starmie, Slowbro, and Salamence, for different reasons, but ended up with Gyarados.

Anyway, I'll try again to hopefully get at least a slightly higher record so I can make it onto the list.

EDIT: What I SHOULD have done was, in Turn 3, TOgekiss wish while Snorlax Protects, and Turn 4 Togekiss use Follow Me While Snorlax attacks. Honestly I dunno why I didn't do that.
  14. Lightsabre

Lightsabre

I love the trick method. the easy set-up is wonderfull. I just beat the second round tower tycoon becuase he used calm mind with his lead(cresselia). this is to easy(so far). the only time I almost lost was when the opponent used U-turn....... I mannaged to win by exploding the switch in and then weakening the next pokemon(not yanmega who has the scarf) with scizor and then latios could set up on it. thankfully the slowbro didn't use ice beam. but he knocked out my sub so I had around 60 HP latios, no other pokemon, and +5 or so SPATK. then he brought out yanmega and I thought I was done for. I actualy outsped him! that was the closest battle I've had so far. I would've been so much farther then this, but my brother thought it would be funny to make me run while I was doing the laundry -__-
  15. notthegoatseguy

notthegoatseguy

I've got a question concerning the double battles in the BT:

I've noticed in Single that, if I start with the same Pokemon long enough, then the AI often sends one out that basically acts as a counter first thing.

Does something like this happen in Doubles? More specifically, what would be the AI's counter for Dark Void Smeargle or Trick-choice user?
  16. Lightsabre

Lightsabre

I havn't noticed the AI adapting to the trick usage, probably because the only way to do that is to use someone with sticky hold and two thrids of the pokemon that can are weak to psycic. I have no clue how it works in doubles though
  17. link6491

link6491

Hmm... I have been having a lot of fun playing through this. Record is 56 for me (not great) though a team of Suicune/ Zapdos/ Raikou almost killed me with a freeze-hax from Suicune.

BTW, I am running

Garchomp @ Jolly (Yache Berry)
    6 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
    Dragon Claw/ Crunch/ Earthquake/ Sword Dance

Starmie @ Timid (Expert Belt)
    Forget, the spinner set from before Platinum
    Surf/ Ice Beam/ Thunderbolt/ Recover

Infernape @ Naive (Focus Sash)
    64 Atk/ 252 SpAtk/ 192 Spe
    Nasty Plot/ Close Combat/ Flamethrower/ Grass Knot

not sure if I could post this, will delete if not. Just looking for advice past battle 49. Every time I hit there, I tend to just have tremendous bad luck (Curse Snorlax w/ Yawn crippling my team and setting up) and didnt have much experiece
  18. Lightsabre

Lightsabre

try a trick lead. It's worked for me. the snorlax will be forced to yawn continuasly, so you switch, sub, sleep off the yawn, set up, and destroy him
  19. Chinese Dood

Chinese Dood

EDITED: OK, I finally lost at 132 Win streak for Double Battle Tower. Too bad I couldn't get just a few more, but ah well, I'm still happy.

Just a recap of my team:
    Lead#1: Togekiss - Calm - Serene Grace @ Lum Berry
    EVs: 252 HP 252 Def 4 Sp A.
    IVs: 30 / 27 / 24 / 31 / 27 / 0
    - Follow Me / Wish / Protect / Air Slash

Lead#2: Snorlax - Relaxed - Thick Fat @ Leftovers
    EVs: 176 HP 80 Attack 252 Defense
    IVs: 30 / 30 / 30 / 31 / 30 / 3
    - Belly Drum / Protect / Return / Earthquake

Bronzong - Sassy - Levitate @ Chesto Berry
    EVs: 252 HP 252 Def 4 Attack
    IVs: 31 / 31 / 31 / 23 / 26 / 26
    - Trick Room / Psych Up / Faint Attack / Earthquake

Gyarados - Adamant - Intimidate @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 52 HP 252 Attack 28 Def 4 SDef 172 Speed
    IVs: 27 / 31 / 31 / 24 / 31 / 31
    - Waterfall / Ice Fang / Return / Earthquake

Basic Strategy is to have Togekiss Follow Me while Snorlax Belly Drums and attacks. When Togekiss faints, Bronzong comes in to Trick Room (while Snorlax Protects) and let my Snorlax be nearly the fastest pokemon in the tower so Snorlax can continue sweeping. Bronzong Psychs Up to Snorlax and can also attack. Faint Attack on Bronzong is for hitting levitating/flying ghosts that Snorlax can't hit, and had proven to be useful vs Double Teaming Cresselias/Dusknoirs/etc.

There was pretty much one thing that this team really hates... rock slide, which by-passes Follow-Me (I'm not so worried about EQ, since 3 of my pokemon are immune, not TOO worried much about heat wave or blizzard since Snorlax resists, even though I nearly lost to Glaceon Blizzards once). Typically I get Gyarados to come in to weaken the rock slider and then waterfall usually hits super effective on the pokemon with Rock Slide. However, my Gyarados only had enough EVs to outspeed +115s, and... precisely that's how I lost -> vs a Jolly Aerodactyl.

To be honest, I forgot how I lost exactly (which is... weird, to say the least), but I just remember that that team had an Aerodactyl, Rhyperior, Gallade, and something else. Snorlax got Belly Drum down, but barely fell short of the OHKO Rhyperior with +6 Earthquake. Aerodactyl was Jolly and flinched Gyarados with Rock slide (and then KO'd the next turn). Snorlax also got flinched once. In the end I was left with Bronzong by himself facing a full health Aerodactyl, full health Gallade, and a low HP Rhyperior which Bronzong then KO'd but fainted 2 or 3 turns later.

NOTE for myself: Bronzong rarely ever uses Earthquake, since it's paired up with Snorlax, and I don't want Snorlax to get hit. Iron Head would have proved to be a lot more useful vs Rock and Ice types I think.

I'll get a pic some time. I think I'm going to take a break from Double Battle Tower now, since I don't think I'll get a higher streak soon, and I've been battling with this team for long enough to take a bit of break.

EDIT2: pic:
    [​IMG]
  20. Battle-Tower Challenger

Battle-Tower Challenger

yeah. i used nearly the same team beachboy told us.
    and my new record is 186.

Umbreon
    @ focusSash
    252hp 252sdef 4speed(!)
    calm
    -Charm
    -Subsitude
    -Yawn
    -Flash

Bulky-EV'd-Gyarados @ Leftovers
    adamant
    -DragonDance
    -Waterfall
    -Stoneedge
    -Taunt

Garchomp
    @ Lumberry
    252atk 252speed 4hp
    -Earthquake
    -Outrage
    -Sworddance
    -Substitute

i will edit a photo if it is needed
  21. EeveeTrainer

EeveeTrainer

This thread will become irrelevant in 2 days... AND JUMP WILL BE KING OF PLATINUM!
  22. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

maybe this thread can become DPP records :p
    I mean it has the tradeback records why not just add a platinum section.
    And i think that if peterko does go back to the platinum tower then just maybe he has a shot at topping the list.
  23. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!

well the plan is to make a new topic...I thought about giving everyone a week or two before opening it so that it doesn´t get spammed with "yay my record is 14 I want to be on the list"

because I am not able to get platinum as soon as many of you guys I will need at least the english names of the facilities

also this thread is too precious to be irrelevant, maybe people will play both towers, I mean it´s kind of an honor or quite an achievemnt to make this list isn´t it?

yeah this will stay open and I will copy this record list (updated of course) into the new topic with a link to this topic

ET I don´t understand why jump would automatically be king of platinum...the two towers (lol) have different movesets plus iirc jump wasn´t sure (hadn´t decided) if he´d play platinum tower at all (although he did say he felt that the platinum tower was even easier with his team)
  24. Griffin

Griffin

Wait, would that mean that the new thread will be for DPPt or that there will be two threads, one for Pt and one for DP, but with the DP records in the Pt thread too?
  25. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!

basically I don´t see a reason to close this one, of course you will be allowed to post in the DPPt records topic as well (I mean your DP records)...the second topic will list all of the records both DP and Platinum

Diamond/Pearl Battle Tower and PLATINUM Battle Frontier Records (or whatever it´s called) will be the name of the topic (or a shorter version "DP Tower and Platinum Frontier Records")
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)