1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

DP Battle Tower Records

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Peterko, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ondore

Ondore

The Platinum Frontier facilities are as follows:

Battle Tower

Battle Factory (same as Emerald, rentals only)

Battle Arcade (BT rules with no hold items, roulette played before each fight that may affect the field or give you/your opponent items to work with)

Battle Castle (earn points to buy items or to preview the team your opponent is using)

Battle Hall (1v1 battles)
  2. Wolfie92

Wolfie92

I got to 79 my first try on singles but got 3 O'd by a toxic stalling zapdos. My Swampert missed every possible chance with toxic, Lucario missed with stone edge, and Zapdos pulled of 3 protects in a row. I'll probably try get 100 soon. I used a scarf togekiss, swampert and lucario by the way.
  3. Capt. Pork Chop

Capt. Pork Chop

I think I got up to 44. Then I got destroyed by a revenge killing weavile :X
  4. paramylodon

paramylodon

I lost a game where my opponent had a toxic stalling zapdos.
    It managed to survive my YacheChomp's +2 outrage...because of focus band (10% chance), among a massive assortment of other, luck related, incidents. My scizor got swaggered the turn it used swords dance, and then hurt itself in confusion until it knocked itself out (would probably have been able to sweep the opposing team), and the same basic thing happened with my third pokemon (hurt itself in confusion every single time until it knocked itself out).

The platinum frontier sounds interesting. I think I want platinum now.

The most I've ever gotten in D/P was 126 apparently. I don't remember how I lost that.
    I've more recently been trying out a lot of different teams and seeing how they work. None of my ideas based around any strategy have been as succesful as blind, uncoordinated, throwing together of random sweepers.
    Yachechomp owns the battle tower. All the teams I used that weren't so succesful were teams lacking yachechomp (and based around some variant of trick/ encore-> setting up a sweeper). Now I'm thinking of yachechomp, and then two other sweepers who can set up on whatever it is that yachechomp can't set up on (and one of which would preferably have some revenge killing capability, for when hax through whatever means ends chomp).

The battle tower isn't a question of how good or skillful you are. It is a question of to what degree you can do things to avoid hax.
    Substitute is a godly move in the battle tower, and I have to try and find as many ways to incorporate it as I can, teaching it to random sweepers over whatever move is most droppable, in order to exploit it. To bad it is a guessing game against pokemon that run OHKO moves as to what to do; they often use a OHKO move the first time you sub (usually hitting), and then switch to a regular attack to break the sub. I'm not sure what to do after that, as I don't want to risk setting up (so I can KO the next turn) only to be met by a OHKO move.

Anyone notice how OHKO moves seem to hit far more often then not?
    If they were legal, to me it seems like they would be used very often. Any special sweeper that learns such a move can take down blissey without a problem. Stall would no longer be viable. Only shuckle and magnezone are pokemon of use that can have sturdy (and magnezone loses most of that use when you give it sturdy). I'm glad homosexual things such as OHKO moves are not legal.

EDIT:
    I see that the top people did post their teams.
    I guess I just didn't do it quite right.
    Wow, scratch my above plans; I'll be a unoriginal and copy their ideas. Flash isn't a move I had on my cresselia. I didn't have thunder wave either, or even charm =/.
    Congrats most of all to you Jump, as well as everyone else whose met a decent amount of success.
  5. FastHippo

FastHippo

If that's not skill, what is it? The absence of skill is called luck. Is it luck that only two people have streaks above 400? Or that four have streaks above 300? Or that three of those four have multiple streaks above two and three hundred? Or that the fourth one stopped playing singles after a streak of 330, and then put up streaks of 653 and 770 in doubles?

Why is it that the highest streaks, outside of Jumpman16, with Jumpman16's 462* streak team are, 203* and 165?

I have streaks of 311, 246 and 227, all of those streaks ended because of my mistakes, also known as lack of skill. I also made many sound decisions to keep those streaks alive. Still, a trainer with more skill probably would have extended those streaks.

EDIT: I started writing this before your EDIT.
  6. paramylodon

paramylodon

I'm sorry; I should have frased what I said better.
    It is skill in avoiding problems with luck, and not skill with being "good" (in the sense of powerful/effective against a real human opponent; the sense of being good on shoddy); both require skill, you just have to use that skill for a different purpose. It is hard, and that is why so few have reached so high (and I've only gotten to 126, which is still probably better then a good number of people).
    When I got to 126, I probably did have luck (in that I managed to not fall for so many "hax" scenarios that it was probable by then that I should have lost to some). My team wasn't built well for avoiding luck; for the most part I simply tried to power trough it (not a skillful strategy when the goal is to avoid hax for as long as possible).

I also like the idea of your team that got you to over 300, and am considering trying it, although probably after I try some more with the cresselia based teams.

Also, for wifi, my rank is 10 and I currently have a streak of 28 (which would put me in the top 10).

I have two questions:
    Has anyone ever tried setting up with the use of memento (such as trick+memento uxie/latios with even perhaps duel screen)? If so, how has it worked?
    And the even bigger question: where is the battle tower database? That sounds like it would be very useful.

In conclusion, however, I've been fiddling and playing around with the battle tower a lot, and I have much admiration for those who are succesful, and wish to get a streak of 200 some time, having, like I said, as of yet never beaten 126.
  7. Nipa

Nipa

I get 120 in singles some time ago...

Team was:
    Gengar @ focus Sash
    Naive
    255 SpA 255 Spe
    -TB
    -Destiny bond
    -Shadow ball
    -Energy ball

Garchomp @ Yache berry
    Jolly
    252 Atk 252 Spe 6 HP
    -Outrage
    -Swords dance
    -Fire fang
    -EQ

Starmie @ Life Orb
    Modest
    252 Spa 252 Spe 6 HP
    -Thunder bolt
    -Ice beam
    -Surf
    -Psychic

Basic strategy was just take one or two opponents down with gengar, then sweep with Chomp.
  8. FastHippo

FastHippo

The database is linked in the OP. When/if you decide to try any of my teams, or a variant based on the strategy, send me a PM. I will give you whatever help I can.
  9. Chinese Dood

Chinese Dood

I think you forgot Skarmory, which was what Peterko used in his team to get his rank #2 just behind Jumpman's. And, also, Battle Tower pokemon rarely switches anyway, so magnet pull wouldn't have been useful for Magnezone in the tower.
  10. FastHippo

FastHippo

On a side note, I play pokemon, but I've never really had my own game. I buy them for my kids and play the Tower when they're not playing. So, I decided to buy four copies of Platinum. Three for my three oldest kids and one for my wife's oldest kid(ME!). I had planned on finishing it quickly so that I could get the new things that I needed from it. Well, my youngest who's five found that I had bought four copies, he "knew" one of them was for him. Needless to say, I still don't have my own Pokemon game.

They've been playing all night. My five year old really got a kick out of me reading the characters' lines, in character. He actually reads exceptionally well for five, but he'd rather hear me. Anyway, they are having a great time. No regrets. I'm glad I got it "for him".
  11. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

thats is quits the humours story.I really respect you for the fact that you have kids and you play.your so cool.
    and i think since now sala is getting outrage.is it possible that mence replace chomp as a setup sweeper as DD outrage gives speed and power and SD only gives power.
  12. paramylodon

paramylodon

Thanks, I will do so when I decide to try it.

I forgot to mention "with decent special defense" (which skarmory doesn't really have), but I see your point. In the battle tower at least, it can clearly be used to success. Most of the OHKO users that I remember also happen to be physical (all the users of guillotine and horn drill; many of the sheer cold users are specialized OHKO users with rest/talk and 2 OHKO moves).

EDIT:
    Good luck with your kids Fast Hippo. I guess you could buy a fifth?
  13. pokemontx

pokemontx

My single battle has gotten me 69 consecutive wins only.
    My team is: Gengar @ petaya berry, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Substitude and Destiny Bond
    Garchomp @ choice band, Earthquake, Fire Fang, Dragon Claw, Stone Edge
    Ambipom @ life orb, fake out, earthquake, last resort
  14. Lightsabre

Lightsabre

what's the last move on Ambipom? and I lost my streak due to blasted charizard(who my team is supprisingly weak to). I'll pick it back up after I beat Platinum
  15. Chinese Dood

Chinese Dood

It probably doesn't have a 4th move since Last Resort is used, BUT... uh, Ambipom doesn't learn Earthquake lol.
  16. Olimarman

Olimarman

For clarity, are these records for lv 50 or 100 BT? Or both?
  17. paramylodon

paramylodon

There is no lv 100 BT in D/P.
  18. Olimarman

Olimarman

So then why are Dragonite and TTar listed on some teams? I'm pretty sure there is.
  19. Jibaku

Jibaku Balance is a fool's master
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

That's because everything >50 levels down to Lv.50 in D/P BT
  20. greg3064

greg3064

All Pokemon over level 50 are set to level 50 in BT, so you can have TTar and Nite in there, but it is all level 50.
  21. Olimarman

Olimarman

Ahh alright. My mistake. So it would become level 50 with the proper stats when EVs and IVs are factored in at level 50?

As in, it would have the exact same stats as if it were 50.
  22. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

Bingo.
  23. M4GNITUDE

M4GNITUDE

Ah man, I'm down to 18th.
    I better try and get myself back up there again.
  24. Nipa

Nipa

25. supermarth64

supermarth64 Here I stand in the light of day
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Because the 2nd team is an edit of the original post.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)