1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

DP Battle Tower Records

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Peterko, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MapleSandwich

MapleSandwich

This has probably already been answered, but is this going to be adjusted to accompany the Battle Frontier?
  2. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

thats what i understood from what peterko said or he will just make a different thread.
  3. EvilMario

EvilMario

I'm up to 110 now with Dragonite (Yache, with Outrage, Dragon Dance, Fire Punch, Earthquake) in Battle Hall. I've taken out Ice, Water, Dragon and Dark ranks entirely.. and I'm taking the other ones slowly (up until about rank 7).

Spiritomb actually gave me the biggest scare. I couldn't OHKO it with Outrage (looks like it was left at > 5%), but it used Icy Wind. Thankfully, Dragonite was still faster than the Spiritomb and went onto win. My other 'big scare' was Jynx. Thanks to Yache Berry, I survived a Blizzard from her with 7 HPs left. I'm lucky I didn't run into any Salamence, or Garchomp in the Dragon tier (although they might still pop up in Ground/Flying..), and the only Weavile I ran into used Punishment on me.

I'm sure there are better Pokemon, and my luck will run out, but I find the Battle Hall very enjoyable. ;)
  4. BeachBoy

BeachBoy

Whew, finally I've got time to get back into the swing of BT.

That's awesome! Congratulations. :D That gives me some confidence. I'm going to shoot for 200 with it, see how far I can go, after I complete another run with the UGS team. A while ago (with UGS) it was all about making the list, but now I want to get higher, because I know that team has the rocket fuel to fire into higher battles. (It was just my error that ended it, pfft, damn you Raikou) And I also want to see how both teams fair over in Platinum.

Oh, I almost forgot to ask. [incoming maniac questions] Who/what ended your streak with that team at 187? I'm curious to know... And was it bad luck or a mistake on your part? How did Gyarados perform in your streak? Weak link or vital component? I've been considering moving around that slot, but I don't know, intimidate and typing with Umbreon might be too good to change. Some feedback about the team's performance would be a joy to hear. Thanks anyway, and also for giving my team a chance. [/late]

Haha, oldest kid in the family, that's awesome. And it's cool that your son has a great time with it, and to experience such with a father like you. Great to hear they're having a blast. Do they know how well you do in the BT? Ever attempt the BT as well with you? (Even though they probably don't grasp competitive play yet)
  5. FastHippo

FastHippo

6. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

working on the new topic and it is almost finished

hmm could someone tell me whether there are multiple level challenges in platinum like in emerald? I mean lv.50 and open level...or is every facility lv.50 only like the DP tower or is each facility different? if yes how?

I wonder if it isn´t too early to post the topic... just 2 weeks after platinum came out in the US

everyone better start playing the battle frontier now :)
  7. Team Rocket Elite

Team Rocket Elite Data Integration Thought Entity
    is a Pokemon Researcher

Battle Tower
    Single - Lv50
    Double - Lv50
    Multi w/Trainer - Lv50
    Multi w/Friend - Lv50
    Wi-Fi - Lv50

Multi w/Trainer is with an in-game partner. Battle Tower is the only facility you can partner with a CPU ally. Multi w/Friend is with another person. I'm not sure if your friend has to use Platinum or not. Wi-Fi if the Wi-Fi Battle Tower like in DP. I haven't tried it yet so I'm not sure if it's exactly the same ot not.

Battle Factory
    Single - Lv50, Open
    Double - Lv50, Open
    Multi - Lv50, Open

The Pokemon they give you in Open are Lv100 so although it is called Open level, it's really Lv100 mode. Multi is with another person who has Platinum.

Battle Hall
    Single - Open, 1 per Pokemon
    Double - Open, 1 per Pokemon
    Multi - Open, 1 per Pokemon

Battle Hall keeps an individual streak for every species of Pokemon that is eligible in the Battle Frontier. I'm currently planning on a Weedle run some time. You can only have one active streak at a time, though. Multi is with another person who has Platinum.

Battle Castle
    Single - Lv50
    Double - Lv50
    Multi - Lv50

Multi is with another person who has Platinum.

Battle Arcade
    Single - Lv50
    Double - Lv50
    Multi - Lv50

Multi is with another person who has Platinum.

I haven't tried Battle Frontier over Wi-Fi yet. I'm guessing it counts as "Multi w/Friend".
  8. Battle-Tower Challenger

Battle-Tower Challenger

well, i don't remeber exactly. It was Rhydon. I know it haxxed me a few times. I did not do important mistakes.
    The battle is too long ago to remeber what was the situation. Sorry.

But i can say, Gyarados is a very important member. One reason: His ability to cripple physical attacks is just amazing. Switching was an important thing i did with the team. (God, thank you that the AI can't predict!)

But sometimes Gyarados failed. Examples: I DDed a few times in the face of the AI's pokemon (which was crippled by Umbreon or intimidate) and only got lol-damage. And than a simple Critical Hit sended Gyara to the graveyard...
    Other simple example: Stone Edge accuary ....nothing more to say.

So sometimes it did (nearly) nothing.

Maybe Return is a good option for Stone Edge?

All in all the team is difficult to play. More difficult then Jumpman's team. My first Streaks with this team were less then 100. But later i got the feeling to play with this champions.
    Every battle needs a lot concentration and i always have to look at the move set list of the AI's pokemon. I use http://133780x.argentosonline.com/BattleTowerStats.html in the battletower.
    This stress paid off. This team is very succesfully if played right. Nice job BeachBoy.

e: I am not on the list with this record. Why?
  9. BeachBoy

BeachBoy

Peterko's a busy guy, he doesn't usually update immediately.

Interesting, thanks for giving some feedback.

I'm going to try and tinker around with Gyarados' EVs, moveset and such to see what would really work best with Umbreon and Garchomp. When I put it on the team, I didn't do a whole lot of research with it. As it was mainly the ability and typing that got it on there.
  10. Carl

Carl or Varl
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

yeah its not too early peterko I've already got 2/5 gold plates in the frontier :)

I'm not a big fan of the battle castle mainly because its too time consuming to do 7 battles but I do kind of enjoy the arcade. and the factory is still a bitch.
  11. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

Yeah. The idea of the Battle Castle is great and I want to enjoy it, but it really drags out. The Arcade I also like; the "anything-is-possible"ness of it makes each battle unique and fun. The Battle Hall gets repetitive, and I've never liked the Factory. Slow to start, hard to keep up.

I've only gotten the silver print for every facility. Palmer and Dahlia I can beat easily enough for the color print, but I've yet to find some time (still trying to convince myself the Castle is fun. xD).
  12. MapleSandwich

MapleSandwich

I've gotten every Silver print so far, plus the Gold prints for the Tower and Castle. I haven't bothered with the Hall yet, I know it's going to take a much better Pokémon than I used to get the Silver to beat all 170 matches. Battle Factory I should probably go back and mop up. After a few times through, you start identifying the effective strategies, my favorites to use are the
    Timid Gardevoir with Destiny Bond and Jolly Fake Out/ U-Turn Infernape.

The team I've been using so far in the three 3v3 facilities is:

Garchomp@Yache/Persim Berry
    Jolly Nature, Sand Veil
    80 HP/176 ATK/252SPD
    -Swords Dance
    -Flamethrower
    -Earthquake
    -Outrage

In the early matches, I find being able to Outrage twice in a row saves time when I need to play the game without paying attention to it. Basically, this thing clears the first 28 battles or so for me. Then I have to put Yache on it and pay attention for a while.

Lucario@Focus Sash
    Hasty Nature, Inner Focus
    40HP/216SpATK/252SPD
    -Swords Dance
    -Close Combat
    -Psychic
    -Counter

A little bit of everything. SD CC has allowed me to beat out Psychic types before that threatened to end my streak, while Psychic stops Poison types. Counter is for halting heavy hitters like Garchomp and Machamp.

Gengar@Colbur Berry/Payapa Berry
    Hasty Nature, Levitate
    6 HP/252 SpAtk/252 SPD
    -Shadow Ball
    -Hypnosis
    -Destiny Bond
    -Thunderbolt

This thing has always done wonders for me in the Battle facilities through both the ADV and DPP gen. Shadow Ball and TBolt help take care of things my other two Pokémon may falter against, but if I'm being forced to use this, it's generally only for one reason: Destiny Bond. I can flash it right in the AI's face and it just keeps right on attacking. Hypnosis can save my skin occasionally if I'm against the wall and have no chance to survive, but most of the time I just ignore it, because 60% is weak.
  13. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

You know beachy,you could always go 252/252 att/spd as that would give you maximum spd/att then you only need to DD twice or thrice and your good for a sweep but just make sure the natures adamant as after 2 DDs you outrun everything and then you only need the attack.
    fast used gyara but with jolly and sub.I dint like the idea of a jolly nature
    as you already have DD to boost your spd.I used Ice fang over sub cause then the lati's gave me trouble.

And the other 2 movees were EQ and waterfall.EQ is for gay electric types.
    Now you dont have 2 worry to much about acc. either.
    exceot maybe on ice fang :/
  14. Scarlet Spyder

Scarlet Spyder

I am really enjoying the Battle Arcade. I just beat the Frontier Brain for the first time and the randomness can be so awesome (or horrible). I am currently using Garchomp, Scizor, and Latias (Psycho Shift ftw)
  15. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

thank you a lot TRE

ok the topic will be opened tomorrow...that will be a lot of updating work with so many facilities and battle modes hmm

also for some facilities and battle modes I´ve decided on minimal streaks needed to make the list, for example single tower 49 and higher (maybe I should´ve made it 105 considering you can use your DP teams)...I will see how that works out

@ battle-tower challenger: I have the updated DP tower list ready (which will be part of the new topic), so just wait until tomorrow
  16. FastHippo

FastHippo

Yeah, I used Jolly because I wanted to use one DD to outspeed every unboosted pokemon. And to outspeed as much as I could win I couldn't DD. Substitute allows for maximum DD until they awaken, and to protect against status.
  17. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

Yeah,you did use jolly but normally if i had to choose i would go with Ice fang as if the pokemon wakes up breaks your sub.
    you attack.DEad Lead

In comes latios(?)
    you fail to ohko,he finished you of DM.

In comes garchomp.takes another DM.
    Lives and outrages and now you have an unboosted Chomp locked into rage with an unknown pokemon left.

But if you just DD twice that means you outrun everything and ohko 95% of the BT.
    the only disadvantage is Quick claw lanturn or anyother SE user.
    But then you keep DD'ing till the opponent wakes up and break your sub from what i have understood...

So i just thought adamant + Ice fang was supereior not that im very good but thats just my opinion.
  18. Fatality

Fatality

I am not sure if this goes in Simple Q&A or not, but in BT, is Grass Knot or Energy Ball generally better? I would be getting STAB.
  19. Carl

Carl or Varl
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

It may depend on the pokemon using it but I think that I'd rather have Energy Ball over Grass Knot. With Energy Ball you can always count on dealing out the same amount of damage no matter what opponent you have. It's more conservative which usually isn't a bad thing when it comes to BT strategy. I don't have any facts to prove it's statistically better, though; just my personal preference.
  20. Fatality

Fatality

It would be Ludicolo, in the Rain. I was debating over the last move, but I did think Energyball was better, I wanted a second opinion...

Ludicolo @ Lum Berry
    Modest, Swift Swim
    132 Def, 252 SpA, 124 Spe
    -Rain Dance
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam/Hidden Power Electric
    -Energy Ball/Hidden Power Electric

I was thinking Ice Beam and both STAB would be good, but I don't have any Electric attacks and giving opposing Gyarados free Rain didn't seem like a good idea...
  21. Wishy

Wishy

From my experience, I'd say Energy Ball is better especially in the early rounds where there are a lot of NFEs, making Grass Knots power weaker.

I almost lost my Battle Factory streak to Curse Piloswine. Thank God Magneton could outspeed it and had Magnet Bomb... I suggest you guys be careful when you meet it, EdgeQuake hurts.
    Edit: Fuck Wartortle. And fuck Freeze. Don't use Metang, it sucks balls. >:/

Wasn't the Battle Frontier topic supposed to be opened today? <_<
  22. Fatality

Fatality

How do you guys "counter/stand" quick claws? I lost at 50 when the opponents Grambull quick claw'd twice in a row, letting me set up rain then KOing my Swift Swim ludicolo that would probably have OHKOed or at least severely wounded it. Then the Grambull quick clawed again killing Kingdra with a critical hit Stone Edge. I was stuck with Scizor who killed Grambull but failed to kill the other two pkemon.

I know it's not the greatest team, but it's an example of how quick claw completely destroyed my strategy.
  23. MapleSandwich

MapleSandwich

Focus Sash makes everything easier.
  24. Knut LB

Knut LB

Azelf @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 4 Atk/252 Spd/252 SAtk
    Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Explosion
    - Psychic
    - Grass Knot
    - Flamethrower
    This gets atleeast 1 KO in every battle. Grass Knot for handling waters, rocks and grounds better. Explosion gives me a ko sometimes.

Metagross (M) @ Expert Belt
    Ability: Clear Body
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spd
    Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Meteor Mash
    - Earthquake
    - Thunderpunch
    - Ice Punch
    This is mainly for some bulk with power on the team. This works great with Sala. If i expect fire or ground attack i switch to him. The punches is mainly to take down the X4 weaks to them.

Salamence (M) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 28 Atk/252 Spd/228 SAtk
    Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Flamethrower
    - Earthquake
    - Crunch
    This is my mixmence variant. Max speed for oputspeeding everything possiible, and hurt them with powerful attacks. Crunch is for ghosts and psychics. I usually use this after Azelf.

I used this team to get 70 wins. Any suggestions for me?(changing moves, pokemons, items...)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)