1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

DP Battle Tower Records

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Peterko, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

What team did you use in Emerald? I only got to 98 there with my CBSala, CMCune, Curselax team (that I think is the best without exploiting the AI with something like a Curse Dusknoir), and I don't think I lost over a dozen times total with it. I'm hesitant to try something different because DP is more fun in a way and definitely more recent and the hax in Emerald were ridiculous but maybe one day I'll care because I want to have broken 100 eventually.
  2. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

How can you use Curse Dusknoir to exploit the AI? Are you referring to some form of CurseTrapper with Mean Look? Because I tried several "cheap" teams in Emerald (PerishTrappers, etc.), but was foiled by even cheaper AI hax with Quick Claws, OHKO's etc. My point is -- even trying to exploit the AI, I couldn't come up with anything reliable.

(And I assume you meant Dusclops for Emerald).
  3. Little Green Yoda

Little Green Yoda

I haven't actually tried Ghost Curse in the Emerald Tower so I don't know if the "AI" is smart enough to switch out or not (the R/S "AI" was not). But at the very least, Ghost Curse overcomes evasion.
  4. kingofgames

kingofgames

Not to be off topic, but I think this thread has not been updated in a while.
    Could someone please update it or create a new thread of this?

I would LOVE to read what pokemon, IV's, EV's they used in the battle tower, You know, NEW Strageties
  5. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

we should just wait to see if/when peterko has time to do it, it's quite an unselfish undertaking he started in the first place. and people have been posting in this thread pretty regularly, just read through the last few pages

doug, i'm referring to the fact that Wobby/Dusknoir was pretty cheap, but I can't even remember what either Larvi (who got to 504 in the RS tower) or someone else did in Emerald that was "cheap", it may have involved Missy/Wobby or something
  6. DougJustDoug

is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

Somebody should gather and organize the strategy information in these BT threads and make an article for the main site. Or maybe it should just be organized into a "Battle Tower Guide" and included in the Resource sticky, kind of like X-Act and Peterko's Breeding Guide.

I know it's not human vs human competitive battling info, but it's definitely "competitive" analysis. TRE's doubles team and strategy is totally brilliant. The information in that post is just too good to be buried in this thread. I think the same thing about all the info on Jumpman's team for singles. If you look how many people have used that team to succeed in the BT, it's ridiculous.

I know in-game play is really not the point of Smogon. But, if Smogon ever "endorsed" anything directly related to in-game play, I think Battle Tower strategy is virtually the only thing that would make sense, while still adhering to Smogon's "Competitive Battling" mission. Some of the strategies presented in these threads go way beyond the stuff seen in guides on other sites. This sort of serious, thoughtful analysis really only makes sense here at Smogon, where we take something like "beating the Tower AI" to a whole different level. I can only describe it as "serious competitive battling".
  7. riichard99th

riichard99th

me and my friend managed a 51 win streak in the battle tower link rooms took us a really long time to get it that high ( got killed by quick claw sheer cold abomasnow) i used salamence and tyranitar and my friend used electivire and milotic.
  8. Flash_gearz

Flash_gearz

This is why we always use a pokemon with sturdy =/
  9. Havak

Havak I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I used a team of Latios, Curselax & CB/Agility Metagross in the Emerald Battle Tower, I had a few scares but I actually never got really unlucky, for once. I lost multiple times on my Sapphire version with the same team due to hax, so I'm probably just really lucky to have made it so far. Although I did break 105 on Sapphire as well, eventually.

Diamond Battle Tower hasn't liked me yet though, losing 4 times at roughly the same point is hard to take. Especially when I was using Starmie/Gyarados/Electivire as a test. Having to stall a Double Team/Discharge/Pluck Zapdos out of PP by constantly switching with Gyarados and Electivire. I then got 6 Dragon Dances with Gyarados, in hope of a sweep. But after taking down Zapdos and Regigigas my Life Orb took me down. I sent out Starmie, Thunderbolted Articuno for over half damage, but then was Frozen by Ice Beam... I got so annoyed as the match had taken a good half an hour that I totally forgot about Natural Cure and didn't switch to Electivire straight away. Articuno used Agility, beat Starmie and then beat Electivire. Ever since I've tried your team (Jump) and had similar results. Hoping to do better this time but I sitll haven't touched it since reaching fight 70.

Spent a while on Courtyard Colosseum Survival Battle, on PBR recently. Got the 100 win streak there, but that's the highest you can get sadly. After figuring out a way to get the right colours on the Wheel, it became even easier. Having a team of 6 Pokémon and only facing an opponents 4 at max isn't that challenging...
  10. Time Mage

Time Mage

FINALLY I got past the 100 victories mark. So far I'm on 105 victories and I can continue. I think I'm at a point at which I can win nearly any match unless the RNG hates me, which will happen at some point, of course. I had some problems with Trick Room in the past (see previous posts from me here) and also hated Ludicolo, but thanks to continuous experience and the advice of DougJustDoug I handle those quite well now.

This is my team:

Starmie@Expert Belt
    Timid, Natural Cure
    252 SA / 252 Sp
    - Surf
    - Psychic
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt

Weavile@Life Orb
    Jolly, Pressure
    252 A / 252 Sp
    - Ice Punch
    - Night Slash
    - Brick Break
    - Aerial Ace

Garchomp@Choice Band
    Jolly, Sand Veil
    16 HP / 252 A / 240 Sp
    - Earthquake
    - Outrage
    - Stone edge
    - Fire Fang

I find Weavile to be much better than Tyranitar, since it can use Aerial Ace, which is great against Gallade, Medicham, Ludicolo and most of the pokes that rely on evasion, plus has Brick Break which grants a lot of coverage to the team, plus stabbed Ice and Dark attacks. Tyranitar, in my opinion, only has the advantage of being sturdier and starting Sandstorm for Garchomp, but overlaps to much in coverage with it.

Anyway, I plan to advance much further with this team, although who knows if I'm going to be defeated in the next battle...
  11. Expert Evan

Expert Evan every battle has a smell!
    is a Forum Moderator

Congratulations on the 100-win streak with your team Time Mage as I still have to get back to getting my 5th and final star for diamond version as things haven't been so easy like it was in my pearl game when my son got to 100 wins with Jumpman16's team of starmie, tyranitar & garchomp. I had originally used weavile before using Jumpman16's team and may try it in place of tyranitar as it can handle those pesky grass types and other ice types as well.
  12. DougJustDoug

CAP Leader

I'm glad the advice helped. Unfortunately, lessons in the battle tower come at a great cost. Nothing sucks more than "learning a lesson" in battle 65 and having to start all over agin. I posted all my detailed experiences to hopefully spare other players a little pain.

I hope your streak continues. As you said, at this point you can beat just about any team. After 100 wins, you've seen just about everything you will face going forward. Yes, the order of pokes will change and you'll see a little variation. But, you've got the playbook down pat to go as far as the AI will allow. Keep focused and think about every move. At this point, one mistake can cost you everything. I found that I could only play 5-7 battles at a time, before losing concentration. So, I'd power down and come back the next day. I really think that helped me stretch my win streak considerably. Good luck!

Interesting that you use Weavile over TTar. During my run with Jumpman's team, I kept thinking, "Weavile would be great here." So I'm currently playing a team of Gengar, Weavile, and Swampert. I'm only in the 40's with it, but haven't been playing much BT lately. I'm fairly certain this team will NOT be as effective as Jumpman's. But, the type-coverage offensively and defensively is awesome, which makes it fun. I just can't blow through easy teams as quickly as I could with Jumpman's squad. That's a little frustrating. I'll post details, if my streak gets up a to a respectable number.
  13. Team Rocket Elite

Team Rocket Elite Data Integration Thought Entity
    is a Pokemon Researcher

Do you still try 1v1? Have you tried to beat your 177 streak since you posted it but lost once? 20 times?

I got that record really early on(~3rd try ever on my English game). I'd say at least 100 tries since then. I haven't really had much time to play since I ended by Double Battle streak.

I'm wondering if you are sure that is your 100% best team

It's the best I've made so far. I'd say I've made a few teams that about as good but I've never gotten enough luck to match my 177 win streak.

While we're posting old records:

255 straight wins in Sapphire Lv50 Battle Tower

113 straight wins in Emerald Single Lv50 Battle Tower
    220 straight wins in Emerald Double Lv100 Battle Tower

76 straight wins in Single Lv100 Battle Factory
    959 rooms cleared in a row in the Lv50 Battle Pike
    61 straight tournament wins in the Single Lv50 Battle Dome

273 Floors cleared Lv100 Battle Pyramid
    This probably could have gone on just about forever but I lost the streak due to my batteries dying during a save.
  14. Time Mage

Time Mage

Bleh, ended my streak with 110 victories. Lost to a Curse Miltank I let setup, was forced to bring out Garchomp as my last pokémon, and I chose Outrage fearing an immunity to EQ on the next pokes... Just to meet an Empoleon next who Blizarded me for the KO.

Bad played on my part >_<
  15. Anti

Anti
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Impressive, Team Rocket Elite. Particularly the 273 Battle Pyramid floors cleared - what did you use? I've never found anything particularly effective there, baring prob'ly Blissey. I figured something like a Rapidash with Run Away would be most useful.
  16. PR3DAT

PR3DAT

Don't be so frustated for this, probably that Empoleon was holding a Focus Sash or Quick Claw. lol
    Don't know why.. but my best strike on Sapphire is because of my Metagross holding Quick Claw. rofl
  17. Team Rocket Elite

is a Pokemon Researcher

I used Slaking, Metagross and Latios in the Battle Pyramid.

I passed around a Shell Bell and fought wild Pokemon to heal. If I see the trainer in advance, I start with CB Slaking and flatten them. I usually collect every item on every floor.
  18. hbdragon88

hbdragon88

Hahaha, I'll never forget the time wher I raised an EndRev Heracross - and the first Pokemon I faced was a Treecko with Aerial Ace and Quick Attack.

I also ran an MR/SC Articuno with Double Team and Brightpowder, but the AI never ever missed. I think I had four DTs up and they landed Sing on me. Poliwrath once hit me three times in a row with Water Pulse. Prior to trying to employ evasion I had Water Pulse to cover the Steels and Rocks that often had Sturdy. I had similar success with Smeargle until Quick Claw didn't activate and Dodrio killed it with Double Edge.

Hm. I may try it again - the Articuno I ran had 252 EVs in special attack and speed, so I'm going to retrain. My last Tower run ended in room 67, so I may see just what the AI has to offer. I'll keep Articuno last and bring him out second since the AI seems to like to tech against the first Pokemon.
  19. Invective

Invective

lol, most haxed battle against a mono ice in d/p.
    infernape, starmie, garchomp was my team,
    mamoswine, weavile, glalie was the BT.
    infernape flare blitzes, mamo hangs on with focus band, gets EQed by mamoswine, send in starmie, surfs him to death. next is a weavile, outspeeds starmie and hits with ice punch for some reason.starmies surf kills, and then comes glalie. glalie has QC, activates, crunches or something to kill starmie. then garchomp, QC activates again for him, blizzards, hits and freezes, and then i turned the game off. dammit.
  20. Darkflagrance

Darkflagrance

I've been trying out my own Latios...sadly, it's the crappy running one. Was your Latios soft-reset for?
  21. hbdragon88

hbdragon88

TRE probably has the Eon Ticket and soft-reset at Southern Island, or he's really really into it and chased down the roaming Latios dozens of times before catching the right one. I use Latios, and mine was caught at Southern Island. I tried to also catch a Modest Latias in Sapphire...it had 0 IVs in each stat. My Quirky one from Emerald was better.
  22. Team Rocket Elite

is a Pokemon Researcher

My Latios is a Southern Island one.

The Wandering Latios/Latias in RS has rigged IVs. Other than HP and Atk, the IVs are 0. The Emerald wandering Latios/Latias seems to be normal.
  23. lockon

lockon

Got to Battle 176 with this team, untill some Articuno owned my Latios & Breloom.

[​IMG]
    @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 6 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
    Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Shadow Ball
    - Thunderbolt
    - Counter
    - Destiny Bond

If played well, this thing takes out 2 pokémon. Countersash the first, and Destiny Bond the second one. Thunderbolt for Waters, Shadow Ball for a good STAB attack.

[​IMG]
    @ Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal
    EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spd
    Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Spore
    - Substitute
    - Focus Punch
    - Seed Bomb

Spore the leading pokemon, put up a Substitute and start Focus Punching and Seed Bombing.

[​IMG]
    @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 80 HP / 176 Spd / 252 SAtk
    Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Calm Mind
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Grass Knot
    - Recover

Calm Minds a couple of times, and then sweeps. Dragon Pulse is a nice STAB, and Grass Knot is for those Tyranitars and whatnots.
  24. Havak

Havak I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

ARGH!!! For fucks sake! Lost on Battle 93. Mismagius Crit Hitted my Tyranitar with Energy Ball, but I got the fight down to the last 2 Pokéon, then my Garchomp doesn't KO Rhydon with EQ, and it Crit Hits me back with an Earthquake of its own. Complete Bull Shit, why does it always happen?

Used Jumps Starmie / Tyranitar / Garchomp Team.

Think it's time to try something else after 5 or 6 failed attempts?
  25. DougJustDoug

CAP Leader

I tried over a dozen times before I got a nice long streak without excessive bad luck. Usually, my streaks would end in the sixties. Frustrating, but not as bad as 93. That hurts....

Here's a tip on quicker restarts: Use SubSporePunch Breloom for the first 35-42 battles. He can almost single-handedly win those first 40-or-so battles with very little risk. Because he sleeps everything, it eliminates a lot of the BS crits and other hacks. Quick Claws still suck. Anyway, I found it easier to cruise with Breloom in the early rounds. Then switch out to my main team (Jumpman's) from the 40's onward.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)