1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

DP Battle Tower Records

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Peterko, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havak

Havak I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I usually cruise most of it with Starmie, I forgot to remention that all my other 4 or 5 attempts got me to Battle 60-67, I always seemed to lose at roughly the same point. But for once I'd gotten to Battle 70, so I faniced my chances. Losing at 93 really pissed me off lol.

So yeh, I never really struggle until after the 2nd fight with the Tycoon, but after that and up to about fight 70, I seem to get all the luck thrown against me. When I have the time I'll probably easily rip through the first 49 battles, but I don't know if I'll try something new or not.
  2. Expert Evan

Expert Evan every battle has a smell!
    is a Forum Moderator

Next time I continue with battle tower, I will try out the party of starmie, weavile & garchomp in the 50+ streaks as I was able to transfer over one from my pearl game after teaching it aerial ace.
  3. Captain Falcon

Captain Falcon

I used this team in the battle tower and got 78 wins before losing to double team abuse.

Slaking@choice band
    Adamant 6Hp/252Atk/252Spd
    Return
    Earthquake
    Shadow jab
    Fir punch

Gengar@Life orb
    Timid 6Hp/252SpA/252Spd
    Thunderbolt
    Shadow ball
    Hypnosis
    Focus blast

Blissey@Leftovers
    Bold 252Hp/252Def/6SpA
    Calm mind
    Thunderbolt
    Ice beam
    Softboiled
  4. pre

pre

Damn... just lost at 68 to 949 Cresselia using Jumpmans team (surived two Starmie Surfs and a Garchomp Outrage w/ 1 HP remaining to kill my chomp that had 16 HP left on it with psychic)! First try though... I had to sacrfice my TTar (which would have ate Cress) to a Modest Metagross when I was out of position. Damn 1 HP Cresselia - my Starmie and Garchomp have max attack IV's and EV's!

One problem: somewhere I heard that if you're team was all level 100 that you would face level 100 opponents... yet my 3 Pokemon are all level 100 and are bumped down to level 50! Anyone know why this happens?

Another dilemma I'm faced with sometimes is with an Alakazam lead - I always end of switching to TTar to take what I hope is a SB but is always an Energy Ball and then switching to Garchomp to take a FB which takes chomp down to about half health. I'm not sure if it would just be a better idea to switch to chomp no matter what... any ideas?

Mismagius is another weird spot. I always switch to ttar to eat the shadow ball. I assume this is the right move but my tar always ends up eating alot from an EB which i hate. Also Starmie leads are another interesting play - i assumed that I switch to TTar, take the TB and DD while it surfs me and kills it with crunch. I probably would have been better of throwing in garchomp to eat the TB, but i'm queasy about sending him in against a possible IB.

Damn, I was totally going to beat BT until that stupid cresselia survived with barely any health. In fact, everyone in that match survived as if they hung on with a focus sash. No good :P. Thanks for the great team Jumpman btw, I'm sure I'll beat iBT eventually.
  5. venom_prince91

venom_prince91

I'm using Jumpmans team, however I keep on losing around 50-60. Most of the time I put it down to:
    -Hax
    -Poor switching on my part (I really have no idea what the AI is gonna do)
    -Sub-par IVs

With switching, is there ever a guarantee as to what the AI will do? In Jumpmans analysis of his team, it says Weavile will ALWAYS Night Slash on Starmie, but is this true for every other Pokemon with a Super-effective hit?
  6. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

the AI will use the more damaging move virtually every time. a slaking ones used EQ on my starmie as i switched to tyranitar, which baffled me since both EQ slakings have shadow claw, but it was the CB slaking so maybe that one's programmed to be "safe" or something i don't know

yeah, switch in garchomp straightaway, the most it will take is an 80 BP non-stab move and then murder zam with EQ
  7. hbdragon88

hbdragon88

In room 59, Hitmonlee used Close Combat on my Snorlax and then proceeded to finish it off with Stone Edge. That puzzled me since SE has a horrible 80% accuracy and CC was SE against Snorlax. Has anyone tested to see if they will always do this - always change moves? The only reason I can come up with is because it wants to avoid the defense drops? Whenever this happens Snorlax usually finishes said Pokemon on the same turn, so I haven't been able to test it - Hitmonlee was the exception because he was Sashed.
  8. Cherish

Cherish

I'm another guy who just copied Jumpmans team straightaway, but I haven't been able to make it to 100 wins...

This were my streaks: 42 - 49 - 44 - 52 - 86 - 41 - 42 - 64 - 45 - 41.

Most of the time I got busted by teams with 3 difficult to counter Pokemon. Like Tyranitar who killed Starmie with Crunch, (but I think I should have switched...), Steelix who killed TTar with Gyro Ball and Glaceon who survived Outrage and KO'd Garchomp with Blizzard. That's most of the story, and I'm affraid it's most of the time my own fault because I do not switch enough...

But I also have problems with some Pokemon, which I would like to have some advice for, from some of the lot who plays Jumpmans team:

Gallade/ Bronzong/Dusknoir: All of them can set up Trick Room, which ruins te whole team because it totally relies on speed. And they are all to sturdy to be killed quick.

Bronzong: Even without TR, this thing can cause heavy havoc. Mostly because of Gyro Ball and Shadow Ball which are everywhere (and it resists both Chomps STAB moves). Is there a main strategy for this thing? I shit my pants every time I encounter one...

Mamoswine: After Starmie is gone, this one will sweep the entiry team with SE moves. Is there anything I could do about it?

Abomasnow: Especially as starter, because TTar can KO with RS. All but one have SE moves against all 3, and can also OHKO all 3 iirc. So I don't know what to do about it, most of the time I just use Psychic from Starmie, but I would like to know if there is a better option.

Ludicolo: Same as Abomasnow.

Aerodactyl: Too fast for Starmie and TTar, and has SE moves for them both. Garchomp switch immeadately?

Bulky Waters/ Normals and Grasses can most of the time be swept by Starmie, so they are not that much of a problem. Also Salac Berry Lucario and Focus Sash Armaldo have proven to be dangerous for the team, but they can be beaten.

And then there are of course that bloody annoying critical hits... But I think I'll just have to live with that...
  9. Time Mage

Time Mage

Let's see if I can help. My team is quite close to Jumpman's, so many strategies will apply.

10. Logan

Logan

In single, I also got to 105 with

Weavile @ Lum Berry
    Jolly Nature
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    - Swords Dance
    - Night Slash
    - Ice Shard
    - Brick Break
    Can usually sweep.

Latias @ Life Orb
    Timid Nature
    100 HP / 252 SpAtk / 156 Spd
    - Calm Mind
    - Recover
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    Destroys

Magnezone @ Leftovers
    Modest Nature
    220 HP / 136 Def / 96 Spd / 56 SDef
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk

Magnezone is here for the resists and to stall badely..
  11. DarkDestruction

DarkDestruction

Electivire @ Expert Belt
    Naughty - 252 A, 252 S, 6 HP
    - Fire Punch (couldn't be bothered with breeding for Ice Punch)
    - Low Kick (same as above for Cross Chop, and I like the variable power)
    - Earthquake
    - Thunderpunch

Zapdos @ Sitrus Berry
    Modest - 100 SD, 100 S, 100 D, 210 SA
    - Protect
    - Toxic
    - HP Ice (70)
    - Discharge

These two are my leads. Unless there are some very serious threats looming (or some EQ / Discharge-immune opponents), I use the most effective move with Electivire and Discharge with Zapdos to raise Electivire's speed. If they don't die right away, then these two usually last a long time, but when they do,...

Mesprit @ Wise Glasses
    Modest - 252 SA, 252 S, 6 HP
    - Calm Mind
    - Grass Knot
    - Ice Beam
    - Psychic

Lickilicky @ Leftovers
    Adamant - 100 D, 100 SD, 100 HP, 210 A
    (Ability: Oblivious)
    - Substitute
    - Power Whip
    - Return
    - Focus Punch

(Before I go on, just looking at Mesprit's moves, you can see why, first, I didn't give Electivire Ice Punch (three Ice moves on the same team? I don't think so), and second, you can see why Mesprit doesn't have Thunderbolt.)

These two are my defensive sweeping backup team. Unless it's a necessity that I take someone out with Lickilicky, Lickilicky almost always leads with Substitute and Mesprit with whatever will work. Here's how my defeat went.

Beginning of battle 74. I send out Electivire and Zapdos. My opponent sends out Lucario and Hippowdon. (Fatal error ahead.) Worried more about Lucario (Endure, Salac, Reversal) than Hippowdon's obvious Earthquake, Electivire uses Earthquake (kills Lucario, Hippowdon ~70% HP left), Zapdos uses Discharge (Hippowdon's fine, Electivire's Motor Drive kicked in), and Hippowdon uses Earthquake (Electivire dies).

He sends out Tyranitar; I send out Mesprit. Zapdos uses HP Ice on Hippowdon (~10% HP left, lucky SOB), Mesprit uses Grass Knot on Tyranitar (~30% HP left), Tyranitar kills Mesprit with Crunch (Tyranitar must die for that), Hippowdon Crunches Zapdos (~55% HP left).

I send out Lickilicky. (Next fatal error ahead.) Zapdos uses HP Ice on Tyranitar (instead of Hippowdon, thinking it would kill it; ~15% HP left), Tyranitar kills Zapdos with Stone Edge, Lickilicky kills Hippowdon with Return (instead of hitting Tyranitar with Power Whip and Zapdos killing Hippowdon - then I might've had a chance). Gengar comes out (absolute worst opponent for Lickilicky). Gengar uses Sludge Bomb (~60% HP left), Tyranitar kills Lickilicky with a Critical Hit Stone Edge. Game over.

If anyone couldn't tell, that's my Double Battle Tower Team. 73 wins. Then I screwed up. Twice that battle.
  12. pre

pre

Fuck this game x 6. Lost after 49, 44 and 42. Honestly, stupidest hax ever.

Battle 50

Stamie vs. Claydol. Starmie Surfs, Claydol down to 1% health, Claydol TR, m00b. Are you kidding me? Send out chomp to wreck shit.
    Garchompvs. Gengar. Totally forgot about TR but w/e, Gengars can't KO me. Turns out it was the modets LO one and used SB, brings me down LOW but I nail it and kill with Outrage.
    Garchomp vs. Ursaring. Oh shit Ursaring in a TR.... it used Return and nailed the shit out of me. Once again, forgot TR but hardly matters that much. Even if I switched in ttar it would have gone first the next turn and done this:
    Tyranitar vs Ursaring: Ursaring used Hammer Arm...CRITICAL HIT (prollu unnessecary but completely fagggg).

As you can see, TR tears teams relying on speed to shit. Fuck that. The next time its worse....

Battle 45

Starmie vs. Poliwrath: Psychic... doesn't kill, Wrath uses EQ, does about 1/3 of health (guessing). Starmie TB (in case AI switched to a dark or something...), poliwrath KOed. Looking good, starmie murdered the first poke.
    Starmie vs Tentacruel: Starmie psychic, does about 5/6 health, tentacruel mirror coat, dead starmie. fuck. It was the FS one. Screw that.
    Garchomp vs Tentacruel: EQ that bitch. This was prolly a mistake, i should have sent out ttar to crunch/eq this ho.
    Garchomp vs Dewgong locked in EQ against something I can't KO.... switch duh.
    Tyranitar vs Dewgong Dewgong Sheer Colds, OHKO. Hahahah fucking haxmove.
    Garchomp vs Dewgong Outrage... doesn't do enough, only 2/3rds damage, dewgong Horn Drill for the OHKO (in a sandstorm vs sandviel pokemon... why oh why!)

So yeah that was annoying.

Battle 43

Starmie vs. Glaceon last time i was in this match up glaceon surivived and KOed with Shadow ball, so this time I'll switch to Ttar.
    Tyranitar vs. Glaceon SB does nothing, DD b/c glaceons can't do much to Ttar in a sandstorm boosting SpDef... it uses Hail. I RS and MISS. (fucking snow cloaks worse than sand veil for sure!). It blizzards CRITICAL HIT, brings me down to 1/4 health, I use RS again and obviously miss, it blizzards for the kill. FUCK.
    Garchomp vs. Glaceon. No one survives outrage. Cept this did... with 1 health after taking 1/8th of her health from sandstorm... of course its Blizzards for the 1hko. fuck again.
    Starmie vs. Glaceon surf kills. duh
    Starmie vs. Pinsir is there even a god? Starmie surfs for 2/3rds health damage, pinsir X-Scissors... and you guessed it... needless CH to finish this streak.

OMG. Stupidest game ever. Why was this thing even created?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

On a more constructive note, AA on Garchomp saves little children. Had to use it against a 6xDT skarmory and umbreon, and it has saved my life, hitting for that 1% damage that these bitches always seem to survive with after you hit them with starmie/ttar. It also saved me against a DT blissey once iirc. Use it. It is good stuff.

.... back to that stupid Tower I go....
    - t3hde
  13. Little Green Yoda

Little Green Yoda

Around which rank do most people usually see a lot of hax in the WiFi Battle Tower? For some reason, I can't get past rank 3 for the life of me. Either I get screwed by a crucial crit, have 2 of my Pokemon die to Sheer Cold, or have an opposing Pokemon wake up at the worst time. Admittedly, there have been times where I have lost to bad matchups rather than hax. But hax has been pretty prominent in about 2/3rds of my losses.
  14. hbdragon88

hbdragon88

I believe that OHKO moves ignore accuracy modifiers, so sand veil won't help at all.
  15. forbidden

forbidden

@Hobbes, using Adamant CB Chomp?

If so I would change that to your starter, switch on the obvious ice users and switch once outrage is done. Worked pretty well for me. Its Suicidal most of the time. =D

My team of Chomp/Gengar/Blissey got me to 100+ easily so I think it makes a great starter.
  16. Little Green Yoda

Little Green Yoda

Fuck, I get to Rank 3 again and lose three straight times due to random crits. Now in my 4th crack at it, I go up against an illegal Hypnosis/Nasty Plot Crobat. Fuck the WiFi Battle Tower.
  17. Volteon

Volteon

I could get to 96 using...

Ambipom, Porygon-Z and Dusknoir.
    I got surprised I got that far with such team!

Ambipom @ Silk Sarf
    Jolly, 6HP, 252 Attack 252 Speed
    Brick Break
    Return
    Fake-Out
    U-Turn

Ambipom's Fake-Out HURTS and that's evem more important against a 3 Pokémon team. It get 2HKO with Return against things like Latios and even Salamence (assuming no Intimidate)

Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs/Scarf (Depending on my mood)
    Modest, 6HP 252 S.atk 252 Speed
    Thunderbolt
    Ice Beam
    TriAttack
    Dark Pulse

Basic fast special sweeper. When I lost due to something, I replaced PZ with Lucario (special) holding Life Orb very well. Though I could just get to 90 this time.

Dusknoir @ Leftovers
    Careful, 252HP, 78 Defense, 180 S.def
    Will-o-wisp
    ThunderPunch
    Pain Split
    Shadow Sneak

My main thing against Double Teamers. Pain Split keeps it alive because of the 100% hit thing and (when I was using Lucario) Toxic immunity+Aura Sphere could KO them. Very interesting thing and gets even more important combining it with Ambipom's immunity to Ghost and Fake-Out (Plus Burn damage).
    Metagross gave me some hard time, but Dusknoir could burn them and PZ's Thunderbolt deals nice damage.
  18. pre

pre

Nope, I'm using Jump's team and the Garchomp is Adamant, bulky and Scarfed. I'm sure that I'll be able to win with the team if I don't have bad luck, but I haven't played since last time b/c I get so fed up going only to the 40's to get haxed. I made it to almost 70 on my first try without knowing anything about how the team works, and now I know far better how to play with it but I get stuff like 3x OHKO moves hitting in a row.

Your team, forbidden, seems interesting, if only because Gengar would prevent some dumb OHKO hax. Have you posted it up already/would you care to post more about it in depth?

There you go folks, thats how you beat BP Sandveil Chomp in OU... oh wait, OHKO moves are banned (and does sub protect against ohko's as well?)... silly landshark.

- hobbes
  19. Little Green Yoda

Little Green Yoda

I'm guessing the average WiFi Battle Tower player is stuck on Rank 3. After many painstaking tries, I finally passed Rank 3 yet Rank 4 and Rank 5 were a walk in the park by comparison. Rank 6 was a bit iffy with some crithax but I also drew the long straw when an opposing Metagross missed with Meteor Mash. =p

The possibility that the lower number rooms are more popular probably worked in my favor since I usually pick the higher number rooms. Which would help explain why I faced the same exact team twice in a row to finish Rank 5.

Update: My DDGyara/YacheChomp/CounterBliss team just cleared Rank 6 and is currently riding a 28 win streak.

And on the off chance that the OP gets updated or for the those of you who care, my team:

Gyarados @ Lum Berry
    Dragon Dance
    Earthquake
    Ice Fang
    Waterfall

Intimidate is a godsend and Lum helps with Sleep leads. Can usually wreak havoc after one DD.

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
    Swords Dance
    Earthquake
    Dragon Claw
    Fire Fang

Covers Gyara's Electric and Rock weak. Yache gives it an opportunity to SD or strike hard.

Blissey @ Leftovers
    Seismic Toss
    Ice Beam
    Softboiled
    Counter

Counters Gengar (none that I've met have Exploded), Starmie, and pretty much every Special Attacker out there. Physical moves are pretty predictable and Counter has net me a large number of kills, including many Outraging ScarfChomps.
  20. Expert Evan

is a Forum Moderator

Finally! My diamond version now has 105 win streak along with my pearl, which means final 5th star for diamond. Now in pearl I need to get the underground star to get its 5th and final star.

I still have unfinished business in emerald battle frontier as I still need to get the 7th and final gold for battle factory while racking up more battle points for those valuable move tutor points.
  21. pre

pre

Congrats, EE. I still need this stupid BT star for my 5th in Diamond, and I need to win whatever place in battle frontier that chooses the moves for you depending on nature (palace?) to get my final gold.
  22. Expert Evan

is a Forum Moderator

Thanks hobbes. Well the old expression: "If you don't succeed, try try again". Actually my son once again succeeded in getting the streak for diamond up to 105 using the classic Jumpman16/DougJustDoug team of starmie/tyranitar/garchomp.
  23. kingofgames

kingofgames

I ended my own record by quitting
    I wanted to get more battle points, and those 20 points are interesting at battle 21 and 49

My SINGLE BATTLE Record is 177

Machamp: No Guard
    Choice Scarf
    252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 HP

Dynamic Punch
    Stone Edge
    Thunder Punch
    Ice Punch

My Lead. Basically will OHKO most Pokemon in the Battle Tower. If I know I'm up against something I'm weak against.... I'll switch to.....

Cresselia
    Leftovers
    252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD

Psychic
    Ice Beam
    Rest
    Sleep Talk

Really hard to kill for those pokemon in the Battle Tower, but for an odd reason, their Gengar really hurts her :( and she doesnt like it. When she needs to get her rest....

Spiritomb
    252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA

Dark Pulse
    Hypnosis
    Nasty Plot
    Pain Split

My "negator" Whenever I KNOW those pokemon begin to double team, Pain Split. I can take down their HP slowly. Then finish off with Machamp, since his moves will never miss.
  24. Brawley

Brawley
    is a Past WCoP Winner

Thinking of Using this team in the BT:
    Heatran@Choice Specs
    252 Sp. Attack/252 Hp/4 Defense
    Fire Blast
    Earthpower
    Dragon Pulse
    Dark Pulse

Vaporeon@Leftovers
    252 Hp/252 Defense/4 Sp. Attack
    Bold
    Surf
    Toxic
    Protect
    Wish

Dragonite@Life Orb
    252 Attack/ 252 Speed/4 HP
    Adamant
    Dragon Dance
    Outrage
    Fire Punch
    Earthquake

Thoughts?
  25. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

kingofgames you honestly voluntarily quit after coincidentally only tying TRE's record? i find that hard to buy for some reason lol, why would you quit in the middle of a round anyway (the round would have ended at 182)?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)