1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

DP Battle Tower Records

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Peterko, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingofgames

kingofgames

Well I ran during a battle

I only wanted my name to be out there on that charts. That, and I couldnt try out my other teams without the computer getting some luck hack.

Believe me or not if you like. Another reason why I quit is because .... I got bored.
    I might just try that plan everyone else does, and quit after the 21st battle.
  2. Expert Evan

Expert Evan every battle has a smell!
    is a Forum Moderator

wow Kingofgames, that is quite unthinkable just to run. Anyways now with both my Diamond & Pearl games at 105 wins, I will probably return back to them at a later point just to see how far I'd go in both of them. But for now, I've returned to the Emerald Battle Frontier so I can rebuild my battle points as I've been squandering them for move tutors. For starters, I wager a bet then won a round in the battle pike for an easy 15 battle points.
  3. pre

pre

No fucking way. You have got to be fucking kidding me BT. It's my birthday and you cheat me?

Starmie vs. Lanturn
    ~ Electric type vs. Starmie... we all should know what that means... say 'Hi' to Garchomp!

Garchomp
    vs. Lanturn
    Lanturn used Charge Beam! It doesn't effect Garchomp... Garchomp EQ's Lanturn for a nice early KO.

Garchomp
    vs. Floatzel
    ~ Damage calced EQ - does only 79.17% - 93.23% on the three floatzels that have Maxed HP... and floatzel's Ice Fang is a bitch, doing 68.97% - 80.79% from the Jolly one, which isn't bad, but its generally accepted that its safer to switch to Tyranitar, absorb the Ice Fang (if its one of the 2 floatzel that have it) and then DD on its ass. In this case, I switched to TTar, which was a bad move...

Tyranitar
    vs. Floatzel
    ~ Floatzel uses Rain Dance! (um fuck me in the bum... doubled speed floatzel outruns my whole team, and one of the RDers has super effective moves against my whole team). Floatzel used Waterfall (boosted by RD)... OHKO. Holy fucking shit, its the worst possible floatzel i could encounter. Outrage will kill, and Ice Fang thankfully won't KO...

Garchomp
    vs. Floatzel
    ~ Floatzel used Ice Fang. Its a Critical Hit! Garchomp Fainted! (I'm not going to lie, I basically gave up here...)

Starmie
    vs. Floatzel
    ~ Floatzel used Crunch! Starmie loses 70% of it's health, leaving it with 40/132 HP. Thank God! Starmie used Thunderbolt, Floatzel fainted. Bye Bye demon rat.

Starmie vs. Infernape
    ~ OMG. Only one Infernape outspeeds Starmie (the one with ThunderPunch is 176 speed compared to starmie's 167), i could win this, seeing as RD is still in effect, surf will overkill*20! Wrong, this Infernape has grass knot, no quick claw or choice scarf, is modest, runs only 160 speed yet OUTSPEEDS STARMIE FOR THE KO. WTF???

Only conclusion I can make from this is that the link with the database is wrong... There must be two Infernape's that are speed boosting natures. Thats such bullshit.

- hobbes
  4. kingofgames

kingofgames

Hobbes, I believe the database is not wrong, but rather incomplete. I can into a similar problem, but won.

It was against a Froslass with Attract, Destiny Bond, on the same set
  5. pre

pre

Because having a frosslass use attract on you is far worse than an infernape outspeeding your stamie... lol jokes. But i know what you mean. It's only off slightly, and generally insignicantly, but it still matters. One thing I also feel it's missing is abilities and genders. It would be far easier to narrow what pokemon you're facing down if you knew these things. For example, if the toxicroak you're facing does not 'shudder in anticaption', you can look at only the dry skin ones and see which you are facing. It would be an epic task to do this, but very useful, imo.

- hobbes
  6. SirRaven

SirRaven

Idk if you guys even care, but here's my offline team, it sucks on Wifi though lol.

(I don't even remember getting this far in the BT, I have the suspicion that I was very, very drunk, so idk what strategies I had or anything.)

Lost at 126.

Froslass@ Choice Specs
    Snow Cloak
    Timid
    252 spatk/252 spd/6 hp
    -Ice Beam
    -Thunderbolt
    -Shadow Ball
    -Psychic

Garchomp @ Brightpowder
    Sand Veil
    Lonely
    252 atk/252 spd/6 hp
    -Earthquake
    -Outrage
    -Fire Blast
    -Sandstorm

Metagross @ Lum Berry
    Clear Body
    Adamant
    252 atk/252 spd/6 hp
    -Meteor Mash
    -Earthquake
    -Bullet Punch
    -Thunderpunch
  7. Little Green Yoda

Little Green Yoda

So apparently, losing twice on Rank 7 is enough for a demotion whereas the earlier ranks took 4 losses for that to happen.

Scarved Machamp's Dynamicpunch is deadly stuff. Should I really pack a Ghost or Slowbro specifically for it?

P.S. Fuuuuuuck. I just lost to a Garchomp due to Sand Veil hax. First it outspeeds my own Chomp twice despite mine having max speed. Then Blissey survives a Sword Danced EQ and Seismic Toss misses.

P.S.S. Now I've been demoted to Rank 5 because another non-Scarved Garchomp outsped my Jolly, 31 IV, 252 EV Chomp for the KO. How did I know it wasn't Scarved? Because the thing survived Blissey's Counter with a Focus Sash. -_-; Never mind the minimum damage my Gyara did to the Walrein that should've died instead of my Gyara.
  8. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Abilities (if they have more than one) and Genders have always been determined at random right before the battle. I really don't know what to say about that speed BS though, I'd be as mad as you are and possibly madder depending on how high above 100 wins I was.
  9. Little Green Yoda

Little Green Yoda

Ugh. I don't know if it's the crazy Battle Tower brand hax at work or if hacked shit really does permeate the WiFi Tower as much as some say it is. I just got swept by a Sheer Cold Smeargle that hit 3 out of 3 times. =[
  10. Team Rocket Elite

Team Rocket Elite Data Integration Thought Entity
    is a Pokemon Researcher

I believe the Wi-Fi tower works like this:

1 loss in Rank 9 and 10 to drop a rank
    2 losses in Rank 7 and 8 to drop a rank
    3 losses in Rank 5 and 6 to drop a rank
    4 losses in Rank 3 and 4 to drop a rank
    5 losses in Rank 2 to drop a rank

Loss counter resets to 0 if you complete a set of 7.

It's been a long time since I've been at Rank 6 or lower so I'm not sure how often hacked Pokemon appear there but nothing really blatant appears at Rank 8+.
  11. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

I have had some "impossible" speed hax in the tower. I can't remember exactly. But I know I posted it in one of the Smogon BT threads. I think the AI may occasionally switch up an item and put a quick claw in place when it "really needs it". I can't imagine they would outright hax the speed priority rules of the game. The only way to know if hax like this has occurred would be to Trick/Frisk/Knock Off the item and see if it's a Quick Claw. Good luck having one of those moves when you need it at 100+ wins....
  12. Loetke

Loetke

I've had my Quiet Exeggutor outrun before, AND after I used Trick Room when up against a Garchomp. Good times.
  13. Expert Evan

Expert Evan every battle has a smell!
    is a Forum Moderator

In looking back at my frustrating attempt to get 2 games at 105 wins, I'm rather relieved that I never gave up even though it was my son that accomplished the 105 wins both times. It's nice to finally have 2 games both with a 5-star black trainer card. I'm not sure how many others have at least one but 2 games with 5-star black trainer cards. While I am tempted to keep going, I've returned to the emerald battle frontier where I can accumulate more battle points for the valuable move tutors not available in diamond nor pearl.

If don't succeed, try try again.
  14. pre

pre

I will of course continue to try. Jumpman's team has been boring me lately (too good? gets cheated far to often? I really don't know), so I've been using a different team for the first 40-50 battles and then switching off to the deadly trio that is Jump's team. I'm currently using the basically flawless double punching Metagross from the giveaway in the wifi forums, with the same random EV's that it was given, leveled up to get Meteor Mash @ Expert Belt; Miltonic/Sandman's jolly SD Heracross (4/252/252 spread) @ Wide Lens; and my own Modest HP Ice 70 Gengar, also max speed and spatk @ LO. It's fun to use, and I really enjoy Gengar in the BT, as it is immune to 3 types and 3 OHKO moves. I'm sure theres a better configuration out there, but i like being able to switch attacks on all three pokemon, and i lead with Heracross (who really needs Wide Lens, as it boosts SE to 88% and Megahorn to 93.5%) and try to get in a SD if i can. All three pokemon are fairly solid, but I feel i'd have problems against faster opponents like weavile or froslass (gengar is only 162 spd, heracross ~150, metagross ~106?)

I like the synergy of the team alot, which makes me think TRE's Metagross/Gengar/Blissey team would be great to use. However, I'm not entirely sure about the movesets he used - Aromatherapy on Blissey only seems useful for getting rid of being Toxiced as a last poke, or someone paralyzing Gengar. Gengar also seems to have a weird moveset, as Sludge Bomb is always weird to see on something... would HP Ice 70 be better on this beast if it was obtainable?

Thanks (Currently at 53 w/ Jumps team btw... only incredibly bad hax happened at battle 21 where I got Critical Hit, missed Focus Blast 3 times, and was paralyzed!... something like 0.016875% chance of happening if my math is good enough).

- hobbes

EDIT: I just faced:

Nidoqueen 4 Adamant Scope Lens 165 147 107 85 105 128 Earthquake Shadow Claw Crunch Superpower Atk/Speed

And outsped it with Tyranitar, who is only 124 Spe compared to 128. It didn't matter that I outsped it, seeing as I would have raped it with Starmie/Garchomp even if it had killed Ttar, but the fact that I went first startled me. Once again, the speed was messed up! I'm not so sure i trust the database anymore...
  15. Little Green Yoda

Little Green Yoda

Thanks for the info, TRE!

And the reason I brought up "hacking" is because multiple people have mentioned it with regards to the Wi-Fi Tower, particularly about "max stats". The only blatant hack I've seen thus far is the illegal Hypnosis + Nasty Plot Crobat I posted about earlier.

Doesn't Quick Claw activation have an animation this gen?
  16. kingofgames

kingofgames

The activation is like your pokemon eating a berry.
  17. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

I had no idea. I've had animations turned off since the very beginning. Or, I just didn't notice it when those animations happen.
  18. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

As I think I've mentioned in either this thread or the Offline Battle Tower Teams thread, I believe that, as in Emerald, the AI's pokemon do not have 31IVs until later on in your streak, probably 49+. Someone's HP Fire Timid Starmie was never outsped by one Weavile it faced, and three are Jolly and supposed to be faster.
  19. hbdragon88

hbdragon88

It isn't speed hax, its the quirky nature of the Tower, which I believe is triggered when a Pokemon has been switched in.

Case one: After seeing Hypnosis-Gyro Ball Bronzor kill my Heracross, I switch Latios in only to see Bronzor go first and put Latios to sleep. There's only one Bronzor in the Tower and it holds a Sitrus Berry. (After that, it got really ugly; I switched Snorlax in and set up six Curses through repeated Hypnosis attempts to ensure I could OHKO.)

Case two: After Hitmonlee Blaze Kicks my Heracross to death, I switch Latios in. Hitmonlee goes first and KOs with Stone Edge. Both Hitmonlee in the Tower moveset are Adamant and do not hold Quick Claw. Even if they Jolly they can't outspeed Latios (Jolly 85 speed vs. Modest 110) anyway. And I know that particular one had a Sash because I switched Snorlax in, surivved Close Combat, and would have Body Slammed Lee to death had the sash not kicked in.

Case three: I have not played the Tower substantially yet. In Emerald I remember sometimes seeing Snorlax go first with Curse despite being as slow as heck and already slow from 1-2 Curses already under its belt. That may have changed in Diamond however.
  20. pre

pre

@Jumpman: Thanks, I remember you did mention that in the Emerald thread. I was at battle 54 though, so it might be even later than 49+. I also remember my 162 Gengar outspeeding some 167 things in the early rounds, so i think you're definitely right with the less than perfect IV's thing.

@hbdragon88: Shit. After those stories, you make my misfortunes seem like nothing. I wonder why the BT is so screwy like that, b/c that really blows when you get outsped for know reason.

- hobbes
  21. Team Rocket Elite

Team Rocket Elite Data Integration Thought Entity
    is a Pokemon Researcher

Here's my latest Single Battle Tower team. Yay for CPU AI abuse!

Gengar @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Levitate
    Nature: Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
    EVs: 6HP, 252SpA, 252Spd
    -Thunderbolt
    -Counter
    -Shadow Ball
    -Destiny Bond

Blissey @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
    EVs: 252HP, 252Def, 6SpD
    -Seismic Toss
    -Counter
    -Aromatherepy
    -Softboiled

They're the same Gengar and Blissey from my 177 Run, but Metagross was replaced with...

Froslass @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Snow Cloak
    Nature: Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
    EVs: 150HP, 4Def, 248SpA, 108Spd
    -Thunderbolt
    -Ice Beam
    -Taunt
    -Destiny Bond

Taunt with a Choice Scarf? Don't ask.

The strategy of this team is to cause the opponent to suicide on you. Get an advantage over the opponent's team by KOing one of their pokemon with Gengar or Blissey, then Destiny Bond their other two Pokemon for the victory. By using Destiny Bond to deal with most of your opponents, it bypasses annoying things like Double Team, Brightpowder/Lax Incense, Focus Sash, and OHKOs. Quick Claw can still be a problem, but only if they get you before you start a Destiny Bond chain.

The Basic Strategy:

Step 1 - It is Turn 1:
    -If you can KO the opponent within two Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt(e.g the 4 Fire Starters, Psychic Types, etc.): do so.
    -If the opponent is suspected to be a Physical Attacker (e.g. Heracross, Machamp, Metagross): Use Counter (Finish them off -with Shadow Ball if needed afterwards)
    -----If they turn out to be a surprise speical set: Switch to Blissey
    -If the opponent is not something you can easily take on or is a special attacker that is faster than you: Switch for Blissey

Step 2 - When it is 3-2:
    -If you have Gengar out and are damaged: Destiny Bond until they KO you. (It is very likey that they will within 8 turns >_>)
    -----If you suspect the opponent to be clearly faster than Gengar (Weavile, Jolteon, Aerodactyl, Crobat): Switch out to Blissey
    -If Gengar is still at full health: Repeat Step One, except use Destiny Bond instead of switching to Blissey when in danger
    -If Blissey is your current Pokemon: Switch to Froslass or Gengar (Probably Froslass), then Destiny Bond them

Step 3 - When it is now 2-1:
    -Send out your other ghost and Destiny Bond the opponent.
    ----- If it is 3-1 for some reason, Destiny Bond the opponent if you have a ghost out, or Sacrifice Blissey if it isn't a safe switch out, then Destiny Bond.

*If at anytime you suspect/confirm that an opponent cannot directly attack you, switch to Froslass and Taunt it. Then switch to Blissey.
    *Try to avoid getting into a situation where the opponent sends out a OHKO user when you have a Blissey out.
    *You'll know that you are using the team right when ~50% of your KOs are by Destiny Bond.

I will admit that I was relatively lucky at times during the run, as Gengar got flinched while using Counter only once out of at least 20 possible chances of it occuring and never got burned/frozen very often.
    A number of Close calls including Blissey Hitting a Mamoswine with Counter through 6 Double Teams after it hit me with a CH EQ and a DDTar Missing a Stone Edge allowing me to heal to survive and Counter kill it.

Lost to a Rock Polish, Rock Blast Armaldo which screwed over my Gengar strat, Froslass took out Gallade with Destiny Bond and was then left with a Blissey against a Belly Drum Hariyama, ow.

Single Battle
    Team Rocket Elite (330) - Gengar, Blissey, Froslass
  22. pre

pre

Need I say anything else. That is godly, just like your double battles team. Just wow. I think I might try this team out after I inevitably fail again with Jump's (at 60 right now...). I admire the way you abuse the AI, just like with your Smeagle in Double battles.

330. My goodness.

- hobbes
  23. kingofgames

kingofgames

I had no trouble getting to 150 or above
    Its all about knowing or THINKING what kind of nature, and EV'd the AI is using against you.

By thetime you reach Battle 75, you should have an idea what the AI will throw at you.
    I wonder if I kept going, would I have been able to beat TRE
  24. hbdragon88

hbdragon88

My tribulations in Diamond...are absolutely nothing compared to Emerald. I've made two topics about it here, see I am the master of hax and my RMT thread in my signature for more details. If I combine all my Emerald Tower streaks together, I've ran through 470+ rooms and still not have earned a gold symbol; combining all my Pike streaks comes out to be 2300+ rooms without a gold symbol. I'm taking an extended break from Pokemon for now to start clean, because I'm convinced that there's some self-fulfilling propechy going on now with so much phailure.
  25. pre

pre

Wow, I'd like to post the best luck of my life right here:

I was stuck in a position where all I had left was Garchomp, and I needed to use Outrage to KO his 2nd poke (Machamp). I Outrage, and pray that the next poke is killed by it. Guess what the next poke is? STEELIX. Is there someone in the game better at taking outrages than steelix? I doubt it.

I hit with my outrage, do like ~20% damage, he uses ice fang, I'm down to 105 HP from 201. I get confused, but still use outrage and don't hit myself in confusion. He ice fangs again and MISSES. I snap out of confusion, use Outrage again. He Ice Fangs and hits this time, bringing me down to 13 HP. I get confused, yet still use outrage and hit, bring him down to about 10% HP (i was praying for a critical hit lol). About to turn off my game, i wait and he uses Fire Fang... brings me down to 3 HP, and I avoid confusion again to KO with outrage.

Yes, I 5HKOed a Steelix w/ Outrage, never hit myself in confusion, sandveil haxed his ice fang and survived with 3 HP. That's some lucky stuff.

- hobbes

EDIT: I just saw your post hbdragon88 - I may have inadvertently beaten your unlucky hax with some luckiness myself!
    EDIT2: I'm loving battles 60+ with legendaries - they are far easier to beat than random OU pokes.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)