DP Beedrill

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Analysis: http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/beedrill

He doesn't get too many new options for Platinum so I think I'm fine with this. Only real notable additions anyways are Iron Defense and Bug Bite (for... who knows?). Too much rabbling with Sandstorm and Hail which isn't usually present in UU. Also I've elaborated more counters and patched some sets. I've also added a set and put more description on the Endeavor set. Any help is appreciated but I think most people get that Beedrill is just easily countered...

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: U-Turn / X-Scissor
move 2: Poison Jab
move 3: Brick Break
move 4: Aerial Ace / Pursuit
item: Choice Band
nature: Adamant / Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Beedrill has fairly mediocre stats similar to its Bug buddies. Beedrill's STABs are average and its movepool is at least better than some of the other Bug-types. U-Turn is a great scouting move and also damages your foe within the process. X-Scissor has more power than U-Turn and Beedrill isn't forced to switch after use. Poison Jab is STAB to back up when Flying-types show up. Poison Jab also replaces the now special Sludge Bomb. Brick Break will hurt Steel-types as well as Rock-types harder than most of Beedrill's moves. The final move comes down to whether you hate other Bug-types, or you think other Pokemon would attempt to escape Beedrill. Pursuit is useful against frail Psychic-types that might switch out in fear of X-Scissor or U-Turn. It also is Beedrill's best attack against Ghost-types such as Drifblim and Rotom. Aerial Ace is useful for other Bug / Poison-types.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: X-Scissor
move 3: Poison Jab
move 4: Brick Break / Aerial Ace / Pursuit
item: Life Orb
nature: Jolly

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Here Beedrill attempts to raise its mediocre Attack from 259 to 518. With a Life Orb this figure becomes 673. The problem with this set is Stealth Rock can ruin Focus Sash, which is why it isn't present here. With something as frail as Beedrill, it might as well attempt to hit as many Pokemon as it can. Brick Break is Beedrill's best weapon against Rock and Steel-types, Aerial Ace demolishes Bug / Poison-types, and Pursuit is his best weapon against Ghost-types.</p>

[SET]
name: Agility
move 1: Agility
move 2: X-Scissor
move 3: Poison Jab
move 4: Brick Break / Aerial Ace / Pursuit
item: Life Orb
nature: Adamant

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set uses a different approach for Beedrill than the Swords Dancer. Instead of raising Beedrill's Attack stat, it attempts to boost its Speed. After an Agility, Beedrill reaches a respectable stat of 498; outpacing even the likes of Electrode. The same attacks apply to this set as well. X-Scissor is Beedrill's reliable STAB move followed by STAB Poison Jab to at least damage Flying-types. Brick Break, as mentioned, will demolish Rock and Steel-types. Aerial Ace dominates against Bug / Poison-types. Pursuit hurts Ghost-types.</p>

[SET]
name: Baton Pass
move 1: Baton Pass
move 2: Swords Dance / Agility
move 3: X-Scissor
move 4: Substitute
item: Leftovers

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Beedrill gains access to Baton Pass via XD purification. This gives Beedrill a slight edge over most of its fellow Bug-types with a few exceptions. Substitute works well in slot four to give Beedrill an easier time Baton Passing the boosts as well as setting the strategy up. Beerill has the possibility of passing both Swords Dance and Agility; however, it requires a Pokemon to switch into Beedrill while using Agility and (with a Focus Sash) use Swords Dance.</p>

[SET]
name: SwarmSalac
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Swords Dance
move 4: Pursuit / Brick Break
item: Salac Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This is a different approach to Beedrill than his usual sets. Stealth Rock is a major pain for Beedrill, but this set can still use it to Beedrill's advantage. After switching into Stealth Rock, Beedrill should be left with 75%. Substitute down while the opponent switches or attempts to cripple Beedrill. After that attempt to Swords Dance or repeat the Substitute. After that, Salac Berry should activate and attempt to finish the job. Pursuit is probably the best move in slot four, but Brick Break still works well next to X-Scissor. Keep in mind that you're walled by Bug / Flying-types with X-Scissor and Brick Break.</p>

<p>Endeavor isn't a horrible choice on this set in slot four. If you plan to use Endeavor, it is best to make your HP even instead of odd. This way, you will set up Substitute 5 times (or 4 if Beedrill has stepped into Stealth Rock) and activate the Salac Berry and leave Beedrill with 1 HP.</p>

[SET]
name: Insect Endeavor
move 1: Substitute / Endure / Swords Dance
move 2: Endeavor
move 4: Swords Dance / Pursuit / Brick Break
item: Salac Berry / Focus Sash

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Novelty at best, but still can work. You can use Substitute, Endure, or Focus Sash to help you get down to 1 HP. Substitute can give you a chance to use Swords Dance and isn't completely tarnished by Stealth Rock, which is the reason why its listed. The advantage is Beedrill's HP isn't very good, thus giving an excuse to use Endeavor even when you don't have 1 HP. X-Scissor should be used as its his better finishing move than Poison Jab, as Steel-types are immune to Poison anyway. Brick Break gives an excuse to hit Steel-types who would otherwise block X-Scissor. Pursuit is another consideration to hit more Pokemon neutral.</p>

<p>Focus Sash is best alongside Swords Dance in slot one and Pursuit or Brick Break in slot 4. Make sure Stealth Rock is out of the way before you attempt this with Focus Sash.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Pin Missile and Twineedle can break Substitutes but are outclassed by X-Scissor most of the time. Payback is an alternative to Pursuit if Beedrill feels that Pursuit is too weak. Beedrill is an exceptional starter and can utilize Toxic Spikes on something such as the Endeavor set, similair to Endeavor Infernape in OU.</p>

[EVs]
<p>The usual 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe spreads will do for anything that lacks Substitute. If you have Substitute in your moveset then swap the 4 HP EVs into Defense so the Berry activates after the third Substitute. With Endeavor, make your HP value even so that Substitute will leave you at 1 HP after 5 times.</p>

[Opinion]
<p>Beedrill got some neat changes in Diamond and Pearl, but not enough to justify it outside of UU or even lower than that. Its mediocre stats as well as taking 25% from Stealth Rock make Beedrill a shaky addition to one's team. To make matters worse, it is outclassed by many Pokemon in UU, such as Scyther and Venemoth. In the NU environment, Beedrill stands a chance; but outside of that you're limited to Endeavor if you don't want to be outclassed by other Bug-types.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Weezing, Muk, and usually any Poison-type Pokemon that carry a move other than their own STAB Poison become excellent counters to Beedrill. Steelix, Aggron, and Probopass can block most of Beedrill's moves barring Brick Break. Rotom has few problems against Beedrill that lack Pursuit and carries either STAB Thunderbolt or Shadow Ball to wear the bee down. Wormadam-S can block most of Beedrill's moves and can attack with either STAB Flash Cannon or Gyro Ball. Magcargo only fears Brick Break but otherwise can switch into Beedrill and scare it off. Magcargo also boasts Flame Body to cripple Beedrill if it dares to fight against Magcargo one on one. Camerupt also can step into either of Beedrill's STAB attacks all day assuming Poison Jab doesn't Poison Camerupt.</p>

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hm. No comments? I gave it a quick look over and it looks good. Maybe some grammar people can come alone.

Agility could probably be slashed in alongside Substitute if you wanted to try and pass both. I've seen an Endeavor + Toxic Spikes @ Focus Sash gimmick set screw me other in UU. I'd throw in Toxic Spikes in Other Options.

Yes Toxic Spikes definately should be mentioned in other options. Whether or not it's outclassed in UU I think it is a viable option, and may buy you a free Layer due to the element of surprise.

I'm also supporting Iron Defence on the Baton Pass set for BP Teams.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I can't add Iron Defense at the moment, but the Beedrill really needed a revamp badly. I would "sneak" it on, but I'd rather not. Look at it now I guess.

Why can't you just repost this in the Platinum Updates section. That's what I had to do with Tauros.

Wait look down and RB Golbat's post. He makes a good point.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I agree, just repost this in the Platinum Updates Forum with any other additions.

Then lock this.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Since only Beedrill can get Baton Pass and only Kakuna can get Iron Defense. Yup, RBG is correct.

Magcargo only fears Brick Break but otherwise can switch into Beedrill and scare it off
... and Beedrill runs the risk of being burned by Flame Body.

Probably worth mentioning. I look forward to trying some of these out.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Added and reworded some things.

Final conclusions or arguments? If not, I'll upload this in a little bit today.

I think endeavor should be mentioned on the chocie sets as a last resort attack if hes weakened enough to severely dent something like Weezing or Steelix.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)