DP Claydol

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Analysis: http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/claydol

Granted that usually most movesets should be versatile, the first one is just moreso a pain to look at, and could really confuse people in my opinion. Yes, I'm still working on Weezing a bit, but I think that now that Claydol has been toned down to UU, he might require a change-up. What I'd like to suggest is to split the Spinner set into 3 different ones. One Physical, one Special, one Mixed.

10 / 1 / 08 4:56 Eastern Time: Did Spellcheck, started analysis.
13 / 1 / 08 : Fixed Spinner set, added more about Tyranitar, minor spelling errors.

[SET]
name: Rapid Spin
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Reflect / Stealth Rock
item: Leftovers
ability: Levitate
nature: Relaxed
EVs: 236 HP / 96 Def / 176 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Claydol was commonly used in ADV for this reason: Rapid Spin. It was immune to Spikes and had reasonable defenses, and this remains unchanged in D/P. With the addition of two new entry hazards: Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes, Claydol still is immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes and is also resistant to Stealth Rock. This is usually why Claydol seems appealing on paper, but your opinion could be changed once you notice the amount of Pursuit users and such going against Claydol.</p>

<p>Ice Beam and Earthquake is the best combination for any Claydol set. Ground and Ice hit everything neutral but Bronzong, which you won't see most of the time unless you use Claydol in OU. Even if you think mixing is a bad thing to do, it isn't. Claydol can combat Tyranitar with Earthquake and with the given EVs, you can OHKO Salamence most of the time. Take note though that Salamence can still lose even if Claydol has 0 Special Attack EVs if Salamence steps in on Stealth Rock once. If you aren't fond of using these two together, there are still more options. As long as you focus on using a Ground move, you can mix and match with using either Ice Beam and Earthquake as suggested, Stone Edge and Earthquake, Stone Edge and Earth Power, and Ice Beam and Earth Power.</p>

<p>Allow me to make a quick note that Stone Edge and Earth Power will bring disadvantages to the table sadly, but it's not a overall huge deal if you play it in UU. Rock and Ground hit everything neutral but Bronzong and enemy Claydol, so really the only big thing you should fear is other Claydols. Earth Power may look neat on paper, but it 3HKOs Tyranitar under the Sandstorm, but remember that Tyranitar is OU and Claydol will mostly play UU now.</p>

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Earth Power
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Rest / Reflect
nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Calm Mind is very evil for Claydol, and Ground / Ice is a nasty combination, so in UU this could pose quite a threat. Adding more Speed may not be a bad idea either. Anyways, Calm Mind is something new to Claydol, and this set takes advantage of it. Rest is useful for healing, but Reflect can soften physical hits.</p>

[SET]
name: Trick Room Supporter
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Explosion
move 4: Reflect / Light Screen
nature: Brave
EVs: 236 HP / 244 Atk / 28 Def

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>The Attack EVs are designed to OHKO Blissey, but since Blissey is in OU and Claydol is in UU, you can ditch some of the Attack for elsewhere, or just insert a certain amount to threaten a sweep. The move set is very expendable actually, and could amass from using other moves in the fourth move slot. Grass Knot, Shadow Ball, Rapid Spin, Stealth Rock, Hidden Power, weather-changing... the list is endless. Experiment with this set to satisfy your needs.</p>

[SET]
name: Sleep Talker
move 1: Rest
move 2: Sleep Talk
move 3: Earthquake / Earth Power
move 4: Ice Beam / Stone Edge
nature: Relaxed / Impish / Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Claydol lacks a recovery move, and this set attempts to patch that. Sleep Talking is still very useful and in this move set is once again versatile. Ice Beam and Earthquake are probably your best options however, as the ability of staying mixed will stump your opponent on what to switch into him. However, the move set can range from Ice Beam and Earthquake to Ice Beam and Earth Power, Stone Edge and Earthquake, and Stone Edge and Earth Power. If you're not going mixed, then choose Bold or Impish, otherwise stick with Relaxed.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]
<p>Choice Band and Choice Specs are always an option to Claydol, but one must wonder when they would prove useful. You loose versatility badly and Claydol likes that. Not only that, but there are better contenders for both of them.</p>

<p>Hidden Power is also an option, ranging from Fighting, Rock, and Electric. Grass Knot and Shadow Ball are also good moves on Claydol and can help with those that attempt to switch in and KO you. Psychic is another STAB move, but it has horrible coverage, and let's face it, it will attract Dark-types.</p>

<p>Light Screen can be used over Reflect in any moveset but the Calm Minder. Claydol also can use Toxic to wear down opponents. Substitute could be useful for blocking status, but good luck blocking some of those hits with a low HP Sub. Psych Up could steal enemy Calm Minders or anything else interesting to Claydol, even something like Swords Dance. Skill Swap is useful in double battles. Claydol can Rock Polish, oddly enough, to raise his Speed. Power Trick is an odd move, but could prove useful, but packing Reflect with it is a must.</p>

[EVs]
<p>Usually most sets should focus on using a 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe spread with a +Defense nature. If you're using Claydol in OU, 252 HP / 114 Def / 144 Spe spread will allow you to outspeed Adamant Tyranitar. Already mentioned that using 176 Special Attack EVs will OHKO Salamence most of the time, but will require more EVs to OHKO Garchomp. 128 Attack EVs 2HKOs Tyranitar most of the time with Earthquake</p>

<p>Calm Mind can play with the 144 Speed EVs.</p>

<p>Trick Room set should have a 0 IV in Speed and a -Speed nature. The EVs here depend on what moves that you choose. If you want to play Explosion in OU to OHKO Blissey, you'll need a Brave nature with 244 Attack EVs. The set could play more offensively or defensively.</p>

<p>Sleep Talk should play with standard spread as shown. Don't be too tempted with any other EVs.</p>

[OPINION]
<p>It might've not been a bad thing that Claydol got bumped down into UU. Quite the contrary, he could be very useful as his move pool is pretty big. The ability to spin effectively is more than enough reason to make him used in UU teams, so make sure that you are well-prepared for Claydol's unpredictability. Now there would be nothing worse than a Pokemon to take a physical hit only brought down by a special hit. Calm Mind might cause some problems too. May though 70 Special Attack isn't the best, STAB Earth Power will tear through many teams that lack a Ground resist. Sleep Talking is actually quite useful as that eliminates the ability of Toxic-stalling on a Claydol. His resistances to Rock, Ground, Fighting, and much more make Claydol even more appealing, and Levitate allows him to become the best Spinner in the game; resisting not only Stealth Rock, but immune to both Spikes and Toxic Spikes.</p>

<p>Still, 70 Attack and Special Attack isn't extremely fearful if you take hits normally. Bulky Waters are probably Claydol's biggest enemy, and one must not forget that. His ability to be usable in OU with Skarmory in tow can still question how long Claydol will stay UU.</p>

[COUNTERS]
<p>Simply stating, Bulky Waters are the best counters to Claydol. Blastoise is perhaps the best one, having good defenses on both sides and hits hard with either his physical or special movepool himself. Mantine can prove decent even if Claydol lacks Stone Edge. In fact, Mantine has an even bigger reason to be called a counter because Mantine can Haze the Calm Mind user! Quagsire has reasonable defenses to come in on Earthquakes and at least shut him down with Waterfall or Surf.</p>

<p>Bulky Ghosts do good against Claydol and can hit him back with STAB. Rotom isn't bulky but could be a real pest since he switches in decently against Earthquake and Earth Power.</p>

<p>Taunt is another big enemy to Claydol. It stops both of his screens, Calm Mind, Trick Room, and Sleep Talking. Anything with Taunt and possibly a Dark move and / or Pursuit will put Claydol in demise.</p>

<p>Ice Beam-less Claydols will have trouble with bulky Grass-types. Meganium and Vileplume are good ones to consider. Stone Edge-less Claydols will have to compete with Lapras and Walrien, and Walrein could spell big trouble as he is x6 resistant to Ice Beam!</p>

<p>Psuedo-Hazing moves like Perish Song and possibly Roar will still do.</p>

<p>In OU, Swampert does this best, and Mixpert has the greatest mention here as it actually hits around Reflect. Gyarados could Dance with little problems and Taunt off his attempts to use Reflect or Light Screen. Bronzong resists most of his moves very well and can take him down usually. Cresselia will laugh at anything Claydol throws at her and fight back with Ice Beam. Tyranitar may not be able to switch in best against Earthquake, but Tyranitar can still put Claydol in stage fright when it comes to Tyranitar's Ice Beam, Dark Pulse, Pursuit, or Crunch.</p>
----------

I will continue to work on this later, but for now I'd like to only suggest it this far. I'm not 100% experienced with UU, but if you'd like to suggest any other changes, please do ithere. I'll run spellcheck later because I have to go for now.

Go for it.

I'm suprised calm mind isnt even mentioned o___o

bold
236 HP, 176 Def, whatever else
CM
earth power
ice beam
rapid spin

ice/ground is great coverage. its quite a decent set, despite the lack of real recovery.
idk if its set worthy since claydol has a nice support movepool but this one can catch people by surprise. UU has no hera/weavile/tar to mess you up either

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It is in the analysis. Right now I was focusing on the Spinners. However, I think that could use a revamp too. Fourth move-itis is just killing this guy. I'll get on with the rest of this.

EDIT: I'm basically finished with most of it. I don't want to go too far into this. Added Sleep-Talker and such, and debating how useful Power Trick could be as a moveset. Since Claydol is new to UU, however, it'll take time before this might be done. ALSO, IF YOU ARE AN UU EXPERT, I WOULD APPRECIATE ANYTHING THAT WOULD HELP CONTRIBUTE TO THIS!

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Power Trick isn't worth it. Sure, Claydol has a good 105 base Defense, but that isn't overly impressive to begin with, and dampened further by the fact that Claydol needs to waste a turn setting it up every time it switches in. Additionally, Claydol is slow and doesn't appreciate being tacked with a lackluster Defense. For the Rapid Spin set, I don't see too much issue with combining them and noting one as the main set, with EV information for the others provided in set comments or EVs. I fail to understand how the Calm Mind Sleep Talker is particularly good. Having only Earth Power as your attack is a bad decision, since many Pokemon are immune to Ground, and Charge Beam is both unreliable (it only has a 63% chance of raising Special Attack if you count the 90% accuracy) and pathetic off Claydol's Special Attack. Sure, it hits Water types, but it isn't as if Claydol can take on Gyarados like Cresselia or Bronzong, and since Charge Beam doesn't entail a Special Defense boost, the Water Pokemon will likely have killed Claydol with Surf before you get any appreciable power with it. Or worse, you get slammed by physical waters like Crawdaunt and Kingler.

Other Claydols completely wall the Resttalk / CMer set, because you lack an Ice or Ghost move. They switch in and get a free Spin or CM off. Also, CM+Earth Power is walled by ever Flying type ever, and most Grass types. I'm pretty sure Claydol doesn't want a Swellow coming in on it.

Your typical UU bulky water types are your generic Claydol counters, particularly Blastoise who can handle the majority of what Claydol can throw at it.

Poliwrath/Quagsire and Politoed also work for physical and special sets respectively.

Any set without a rock type move also has Lapras and Walrein to contend with.

The majorty of these pokemon learn an array of phasing moves, should Claydol start CMing.

Any set without Ice Beam is going to struggle with the bulky grasses like Meganium and Vileplume (and Leafeon if its approved).

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Alright, thanks for chiming in guys.

Ok, first off, I'm removing the Calm Mind + Sleep Talking set. I didn't think it would last long. I guess I could put the Spinner sets like I did with RestTalk, so that'll get done. Also, thanks for some of those counter Shiny Oddish, I'll add those.

Did what I needed to do. Added EVs, Opinions, and Counters. If you would like to make suggestion to EVs as far as Speed points, feel free to.

Take note though that Salamence can still loose even if Claydol has 0 Special Attack EVs if Salamence steps in on Stealth Rock once.

lose, not loose

Your spinner set still has too many / imo. I say split it up in physical and special attacking Claydol, and note that they are only a guideline. Something like Earthquake/Rapid Spin/Ice Beam/Reflect is still viable.

Claydol can't take on Tyranitar at all anymore since it always packs Crunch and usually has Pursuit. This is also the reason why Earth Power < Earthquake imo: at least that gives Tyranitar a souvenir if it decides to come in.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Still, if it's a Choice Band variant and locked onto Earthquake or Stone Edge, Tyranitar can't really fight back. Otherwise mixed 'Tars and Boah have a chance. Just any moveset without Band / Scarf / Specs.

I'll get onto that splitting. How about mixed Spinner instead? I think that's way more viable than just the physical and special moveset combined. I guess the Speed drop would be the only bad thing.

Any Mod that sees this question: Assuming that any non-badged user is done with an analysis, are we to wait for the final verdict or can we PM that we are done and they determine whether to post it or not, make changes, etc? Sorry if that question seems a bit... complicated, but I would like to know.

Still, if it's a Choice Band variant and locked onto Earthquake or Stone Edge, Tyranitar can't really fight back. Otherwise mixed 'Tars and Boah have a chance. Just any moveset without Band / Scarf / Specs.

I'll get onto that splitting. How about mixed Spinner instead? I think that's way more viable than just the physical and special moveset combined. I guess the Speed drop would be the only bad thing.

Any Mod that sees this question: Assuming that any non-badged user is done with an analysis, are we to wait for the final verdict or can we PM that we are done and they determine whether to post it or not, make changes, etc? Sorry if that question seems a bit... complicated, but I would like to know.
If no one has anything to add for a few days, I'll check this over then upload it.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
this post is for jrrrrrrr's and aldaron's purposes...

should be deleted, thread has fulfilled its purpose

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)