DP Darkrai

Going to be a lot shorter then some of my other peer edits. I used this set to great success when I was taking part of the Uber Metagame.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/darkrai

[Set]

Name: Scarf Darkrai
Move 1: Dark Pulse
Move 2: Thunder
Move 3: Spacial Rend
Move 4: Focus Punch / Focus Blast
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Bad Dreams
Nature: Mild
EVs: 84 Atk / 252 SpA / 172 Spe

[Set Comments]
<p>Darkrai as a lead can simply not be overlooked. With a Choice Scarf, Darkrai will top out his speed at an incredible 493, assuming he is running a Mild nature.This outruns a variety of Uber pokemon such as Timid ScarfKyogre, Timid ScarfPalkia, and even Jolly Rayquaza with one Dragon Dance. Thanks to the Choice Scarf, Darkrai will easily outspeed all of the above pokemon and hopefully cripple them or even kill them. This set functions extremely well as an Uber revenge killer.</p>

<p>The most important attack to this set is Dark Pulse as it gives you not only a STAB attack coming from a base 135 Special Attack, but also can give you that handy flinch which can really save you from defeat. Spacial Rend is a great surprise that also OHKOs Rayquaza and Palkia after you outspeed them. Thunder will decimate Kyogre and Manaphy but beware, Kyogre's Surf will still OHKO Darkrai. Finally, Focus Punch or Focus Blast can be used in the last slot for opposing Darkrai, Tyranitar, Blissey, and Dialga.</p>

<p>IF you plan on using Focus Punch, then using the suggested EV spread will be your best option. However if you do not worry about Blissey and a defensive Tyranitar then use Focus Blast as well as max out Special Attack and Speed.</p>

That should be everything. If it looks a bit messy and worded strangely, I will just reword the article. Thanks.

sandman

Bum bum bum bum
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Focus punch should be an option so that blissey doesn't wall this, 156at evs is need to kill bliss with life orb or maybe just taking evs from speed before you can't outrun things you want to. That should still do a lot to blissey.

EDIT: Focus Blast could also be an option for tyranitar and dialga.

I was thinking about Focus Punch. However the main problem with it, is that the use is limited unlike the other attacks and you really can just put Blissey to Sleep if you need to. You would also need Great Prediction to pull it off and that even depends if they have blissey. I guess it could also be used for Dialga but even then, you won't need it that much and it wont work as well on him.

Opinions on Focus Punch anyone?

Though you implied it, you should explicitly say that this functions as a revenge-killer. Though you said things like "outspeeds x" or "OHKOs y", it would be better to plainly say that this can revenge-kill well.

I will edit later that

1. It is a revenge killer and it functions well as a revenge-killer

and

2. Focus Punch can also be used for incoming Blissey, Dialga, and Darkrai.

Seems like it could work

Focus Punch or at least Focus Blast definitely requires an option. With no way to boost your SpAtk, you're horribly walled by Blissey, Tyranitar and Dialga.

Also a minor edit on the EV Spread. 252 SpA / 172 Spe / 84 Atk. Allows you to always OHKO Tyranitar with Focus Punch, 2HKO Dialga (46-54% or at least put in a major dent) and seriously put Blissey in pain (61-78%).

ScarfPalkia is far more common that Jolly ScarfGroudon so i'd just mention that it can outpace ScarfPalkia in your first paragraph.

sandman

Bum bum bum bum
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ok, this might be a little drastic, but due to scarf palkia's poplarity, maybe Spacial Rend could be under other options. It might also be funny to see your opponent react since darkrai can't beat a healthy palkia without Dark void.

EDIT: Damage calculations 252spat modest darkrai using spacial rend on no defense palkia 66.36% - 78.19%
NVM

It could possibly work over Ice Beam as it would beat Rayquaza and Palkia but I think the set with Dark Void, Thunder, Ice Beam/Dark Pulse, Focus Punch is the best.

Edit: maybe put spacial rend in other options? It does have some use.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Thunder will easily kill Kyogre and if by some miracle Kyogre survives, his Water Spout will do minimal damage
This point imo is a bit null as Surf OHKOes Darkrai anyways. The only time Kyogre would be using Water Spout > Surf against a SpDef unboosted Darkrai is if it's stuck on Water Spout and it's the last guy

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ugh, this is what I get for procrastinating. i've been meaning to write this analysis for weeks :/

anyway that set you're running is absolutely horrible. dark pulse as a slash is ridiculous especially since ice beam covers what? only rayquaza and groudon really, but you give up on the flinch which i've found is absolutely amazing with scarfrai and has saved my ass multiple times.

the set i run is focus blast/dark pulse/thunder/spacial rend

spacial rend covers both palkia (often scarfed) and rayquaza after a dd. thunder covers kyogre. focus blast is almost necessary for the 2hko on dialga and dark pulse is a duh. if anything i'd slash out thunder for dark void since thunder covers the least, though nailing scarfogre with a thunder comes in handy even if it isn't an ohko.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
anyway that set you're running is absolutely horrible. dark pulse as a slash is ridiculous especially since ice beam covers what? only rayquaza and groudon really, but you give up on the flinch which i've found is absolutely amazing with scarfrai and has saved my ass multiple times.
Seconding the need for Dark Pulse. Why would you ever use Darkrai if you aren't using its amazing STAB move?

Dark Void is great for the fast sleep, but with Darkrai's stats and insane movepool, wasting turns by sleeping then switching out then switching back in is a huge no-no. Choiced sleep is a bad strategy.

Alright Im going to completely rewrite this under jabbas set.

Ive always used dark void, thunder, ice beam, dark pulse but yeah jabbas set should still hit every thing just as hard. maybe dark void isnt needed.

Expect a big update to use jabbas set in a little bit (today or tommorow)

Heh I got it done already. This seemed much smoother to me for me to wirte and hopefully much more effective. What do you guys think?

Does everything look okay on it? No one else has commented on it so is it ready for SCMS when it comes back up or does this set just not warrent mention =/

I want just a little bit more feedback

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I know this is quite late to be bumping but according to DougJustDougs recent statistics (21.9% iirc) quite a few people are using Scarf Darkrai. This prompted me to write my own analysis of it when I was surprised to find it wasn't even mentioned in other options. I was going to post my peer edit in the next few days one I cleaned it up but I thought I better do a search first. It appeared that KD24 was just left kinda hanging and I thought the issue needed to be addressed again, particularly because of the new usage statistics showing such a high usage of Scarf Rai.

Here is my peer edit I was going to modify and post if anyone is curious:

[SET]
name: Scarf Rai
move 1: Dark Pulse
move 2: Spacial Rend
move 3: Thunder
move 4: Focus Blast
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Modest
evs: 52 HP / 252 SpA / 204 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Choice Scarf Darkrai functions almost identically in Ubers as Choice Scarf Gengar does in standard, that role being a versatile and effective revenge killer. Darkrai's great special attack, speed, and STAB Dark Pulse make him a natural candidate for the role as a revenge killer in the uber metagame and allows Darkrai to take out dangerous threats such as Sub-Salac Groudon, once Dragon Danced Rayquaza, Scarf Palkia, and many others.</p>

<p>Dark Pulse is for obligatory STAB and helps to take out usually faster Pokemon such as Deoxys-A. Spacial Rend will allow Darkrai to take out the innumerate dragons in the Uber tier and Thunder is useful for Kyogre and Manaphy coverage. Focus Blast allows Darkrai to take out Dialga effectively and at least give some response against a Blissey.</p>

<p>The EVs are such that Darkrai's special attack is maximized and the 204 speed EVs allow Darkrai to outrun maximum speed Deoxys-S. If Deoxys-S isn't a concern then an alternative EV spread that can be used is 84 HP / 252 SpA / 172 Spe which allows Deoxys-S to outrun Hasty, Choice Scarf Palkia.</p>

<p>If a fast sleep is necessary on your team Dark Void can be put on the move set in place of Thunder, although this is not recommended. Focus Punch can be used in the last slot over Focus Blast to effective take out Blissey on the predicted switch in while still hitting Dialga. If you opt for Focus Punch a Rash or Mild nature is recommended and feel free to shift the HP EVs over to Attack.</p>

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Don't post in this topic, Caelum, unless you want to comment on his set.

Post your own topic.

Definitely put Focus Blast as the first option over Focus Punch, as Blissey is used less than Dialga in ubers, and Bulk Up Dialga is a significantly more threatening Pokemon.

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
[Set]
Name: Scarf Darkrai
Move 1: Dark Pulse
Move 2: Thunder
Move 3: Spacial Rend
Move 4: Focus Punch / Focus Blast / Dark Void
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Bad Dreams
Nature: Mild
EVs: 84 Atk / 252 SpA / 172 Spe
Dark Void should always be an option on Darkrai imo, even with Choice Scarf. This lets it become the fastest sleeper around, something which may come in handy if a team lacks status.

[Set Comments]
<p>Darkrai as a lead should not be overlooked. With a Choice Scarf, Darkrai will top out his speed at an incredible 493, assuming he is running a Mild nature. This outruns a variety of Uber Pokemon such as Timid ScarfKyogre, Timid ScarfPalkia, and even Jolly Rayquaza with one Dragon Dance. This set functions extremely well as an Uber revenge killer.</p>
First sentence sounded slightly awkward imo.

Needs space between 'nature.' and 'This'.

Pokemon needs to be capitalized.

Removed "Thanks to the Choice Scarf, Darkrai will easily outspeed all of the above pokemon and hopefully cripple them or even kill them." as it is exactly what the previous sentence states, except reworded.

<p>The most important attack to this set is Dark Pulse as it gives you, not only a STAB attack coming from a base 135 Special Attack, but also can give you that handy flinch chance which has the potential to prevent defeat. Spacial Rend is a great surprise that OHKOs Rayquaza and Palkia. Thunder will decimate Kyogre and Manaphy but beware, Kyogre's Surf will still OHKO Darkrai. Finally, Focus Punch can be used in the last slot for Blissey, or Focus Blast for Dialga, Tyranitar and Darkrai.</p>
Missing comma ;[

'also' doesn't make sense isn't needed between 'that' and 'OHKOs'. 'Also' implies that it has something else that can OHKO Rayquza etc.

Removed 'after you outspeed them' as you don't necessarily have to outspeed them to KO them. You could catch them on the switch etc.

The last sentence was slightly funny as Focus Blast doesn't hurt Blissey.

<p>If you plan on using Focus Punch, then using the suggested EV spread will be your best option. However, if you do not worry about Blissey and a defensive Tyranitar then use Focus Blast in conjunction with max Special Attack and Speed.</p>
Capitalizationon the 'f' in 'If' isn't needed.

Rephrased the last sentence to make it sound more interesting. :toast:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)