Move 1: Light Screen
Move 2: Reflect
Move 3: Taunt
Move 4: Stealth Rock / Spikes / Recover
Item: Light Clay
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Designed to be used as a lead, this set stops suicidal leads such as Aerodactyl or Azelf from being able to set up Stealth Rock, while setting up your own entry hazard as well as eight turn Light Screens and Reflects.</p>

<p>Light Clay is the item of choice on this set due to the fact that Deoxys-S abuses both Light Screen and Reflect. Focus Sash is pointless for this reason, and with the ubiquity of Tyranitar leads, Light Clay is superior. With Reflect up, Deoxys-S is able to survive a Choice Banded Crunch or Pursuit from Tyranitar, and is only 3HKOed by Bronzong's Gyro Ball.

<p>The decision between Stealth Rock or Spikes depends on which is needed more. Stealth Rock is generally the preferred option as it only takes one turn of set-up. However, Deoxys-S is one of the few viable users of Spikes, so it is the preferred entry hazard if another Pokémon on your team knows Stealth Rock. However, if your only goal is to set-up a Light Screen or Reflect for your main sweeper, by all means use Recover. This allows Deoxys-S to continually switch-in and set-up a screen, while making up for the lack of Leftovers as a held item.</p>

<p>Max Speed is required to, at worst, tie against opposing Deoxys-S. The rest of the EVs are poured into its abysmal HP to equally maximize Deoxys-S's defenses.</p>

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Meant as a lead, this set stops suicidal leads such as Aerodactyl or Azelf from being able to set up Stealth Rock, while setting up your own entry hazard and also eight turn Light Screens and Reflects. Deoxys-S is generally superior to Azelf because not only does Deoxys-S have has better defenses and much greater Speed, but it also does not lose to as many opposing threats, such as Heatran.</p>

<p>Light Clay is the item of choice on this set due to the fact that Deoxys-S is faster than most leads, and can set up a Screen before it even gets hit. Focus Sash is pointless for this reason, and with the ubiquity of Tyranitar leads, Light Clay is superior. With Reflect up, Deoxys-S is able to survive a Choice Banded Pursuit from Tyranitar, and is only 3HKOed by Bronzong's Gyro Ball.

<p>The decision between Stealth Rock or Spikes depends on which is needed more. Stealth Rock is generally the preferred option as it only takes one turn of set-up. However, Deoxys-S is one of the few viable users of Spikes, so it is the preferred entry hazard if another Pokémon on your team knows Stealth Rock.</p>

<p>The EVs allow you to outspeed Modest Choice Scarf Gengar and most other Deoxys-S leads. The rest of the EVs go into Defense to allow Deoxys-S to take as many hits as possible.</p>
An excellent set, but your set comments were a bit lacking, mostly in the first paragraph. I fixed any errors I found, and rewrote parts of the intro paragraph.

Uhhh why not max speed on the set? You don't want to be taunted by another Deoxys, or attacked by one before you can get your screen up. What exactly does the Special Defense accomplish?

Oh yeah, with Reflect up he survives Choice Band Crunch from Tyranitar as well - thats kinda important.

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Meant as a lead, this set stops suicidal leads such as Aerodactyl or Azelf from being able to set up Stealth Rock, while setting up your own entry hazard and also eight turn Light Screens and Reflects. Deoxys-S is generally superior to Azelf because not only does Deoxys-S havehas better defenses and much greater Speed, but it also does not lose to as many opposing threats, such as Heatran.</p>

get rid of the "has".
also, you don't need the "but" in the last sentence because it is conflicting with the "not only" earlier in the sentence.

<p>Light Clay is the item of choice on this set due to the fact that Deoxys-S is faster than most leads, and can set up a Screen before it even gets hit. Focus Sash is pointless for this reason, and with the ubiquity of Tyranitar leads, Light Clay is superior. With Reflect up, Deoxys-S is able to survive a Choice Banded Pursuit from Tyranitar, and is only 3HKOed by Bronzong's Gyro Ball.

unbold the "e".

<p>The decision between Stealth Rock or Spikes depends on which is needed more. Stealth Rock is generally the preferred option as it only takes one turn of set-up. However, Deoxys-S is one of the few viable users of Spikes, so it is the preferred entry hazard if another Pokémon on your team knows Stealth Rock.</p>

unbold the "is"

<p>The EVs allow you to outspeed Modest Choice Scarf Gengar and most other Deoxys-S leads. The rest of the EVs go into Defense to allow Deoxys-S to take as many hits as possible.</p>

Uhhh why not max speed on the set? You don't want to be taunted by another Deoxys, or attacked by one before you can get your screen up. What exactly does the Special Defense accomplish?

Oh yeah, with Reflect up he survives Choice Band Crunch from Tyranitar as well - thats kinda important.
Well, a Choice Banded Crunch is the same as a switching Pursuit, but I'll just mention it anyway.

Deoxys-S is generally superior to Azelf because not only does Deoxys-S have better defenses and much greater Speed, it also does not lose to as many opposing threats, such as Heatran
Not sure if you want to include this sentence as Deoxys -S and Azelf function similarly in terms of setting up Stealth Rock or Taunt but thats where the similarity in the moveset ends. Deoxys aims to set up screens to aid the rest of the team, while Azelf, after setting up Stealth Rock aims to take out as many pokemon as possible with it's attacking moves. I wouldn't say either of them is really "superior" to the other.

The rest of the EVs go into Defense to allow Deoxys-S to take as many hits as possible.
Is this supposed to be Defense or Special Defense? In the set you have Special Defense listed in the EV spread but Defense listed in the set comments.

I'll take that sentence out. I think I meant it to be "The rest of the EVs are invested in Deoxys-S's defenses to allow it to take as many hits as possible."

I think I meant it to be "The rest of the EVs are invested in Deoxys-S's defenses to allow it to take as many hits as possible."
Even if you do that your EV spread only places EVs in Special Defense, so you should probaly make a mention in the set comments that the remaining EVs can be placed in either defensive stat. You might also want to make a note of the EV spread variant RaikouLover suggested with just running max Speed so you can't be taunted by opposing Deoxys -S.

In my opinion, after playing a few matches with this set, the light clay wasn't really needed, as leftovers would help it take a few more hits before you can set up. Although, it can allow your frail sweeper a chance to set up with both screens on the field, so I do like this set. The leftovers over light clay is just one of my preferences.

I'm going to put RaikouLover's EV spread as the main one; it makes more sense. I'll mention Leftovers somewhere.

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
[SET]
Name: Dual Screen Deoxys-S
Move 1: Light Screen
Move 2: Reflect
Move 3: Taunt
Move 4: Stealth Rock / Spikes / Recover
Item: Light Clay
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Due to the lack of Leftovers, Recover wouldn't exactly make a bad move on this. I don't, however, really see this as a lead. It looks more like a mid-game support Pokemon to me as it allows your whole team to take both boosted or unboosted attacks, which was why I added Recover alongside Spikes and SR.

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Made to be a lead, this set stops suicidal leads such as Aerodactyl or Azelf from being able to set up Stealth Rock, while setting up your own entry hazard, as well as eight turn Light Screens and Reflects.</p>
I don't like starting off something with 'Meant'. Just try imagining an essay starting off with 'Meant'. Terrible isn't it?

<p>Light Clay is the item of choice on this set due to the fact that this Deoxys-S abuses both Light Screen and Reflect. Focus Sash is pointless for this reason with the ubiquity of Tyranitar leads. With Reflect up, Deoxys-S is able to survive a Choice Banded Crunch or Pursuit from Tyranitar, and is only 3HKOed by Bronzong's Gyro Ball.
I don't exactly see how Light Clay benefits from Deoxys-S being fast, so I changed the first sentence.

Once again, prolonged Reflect doesn't help Deo-S against Tyranitar any more than a 5 turn Reflect will and so, I removed the last part of that sentence.

<p>Max Speed is required to, at worst, tie against opposing Deoxys-S. The rest of the EVs are poured into its abysmal HP to equally maximize Deoxys-S's defenses.</p>

Yes they are. You aren't attacking, so you max speed and HP. Doesn't that make the most sense? You have the screens to soften the blows, but HP EVs will give you the most "bang" for your buck.

Personally, this set is uber IMO. One of the reasons I think Deoxys-E should be banned. This set allows you to set up Lucario's, Garchomps, Gyarados', Baton teams... anything with a set up move will fuck you over. I'm surprised everyone doesn't begin like this.

Exactly why I didn't like it when Deoxys was unbanned. Deoxys-E has moveset to make up for its so-called "Average Stats(Other than Speed)."

I like this set alot and it screwed me for a good while when I battled it.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Seems like a great set to me, nothing does it better imo. However, I don't really feel max speed is needed. There isn't that much that outspeeds Deoxys with max speed. I haven't really seen Scarf Aero/ScarfVile that much these days, but I guess giving it 16 HP or whatever is negligable.

Anyways, good set.

I faced this deoxys twice, and both times it setup well and I lost. I'm not sure why it needs max speed since I don't see how tying with Deoxys is helping it, maybe it could put some into defense to help it against weavile/ttar leads?

At the moment I've had the most success with a 252 Hp/252 defense/4 special defense, as nothing outspeeds you except choice scarfers, and you have more overall bulk.
:>

I faced this set just today. It managed to set everything up, and didn't die from Weavile's pursuit after that reflect went up.

I have wondered this for awhile: What is Deoxys-E? It's a certain type of Deoxy-S right, but what does it stand for?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It just stands for Emerald, the 3rd Gen. game in which Deoxys transformed into Speed form.

This set is finally revealed on Smogon, but I guess this is inevitable. I have been called cheap many times for using it and have been blamed for starting this idea. I guess that means this set is quite effective.

I want to suggest an alternative EV spread for this Deoxys. You can make its speed reach 480 to outspeed modest scarfgar and put the rest in special def. That way it can survive timid scarfgar's shadow ball, who will outspeed and OHKO timid max speed deoxys. Timid scarfgar leads are not very common but I did face them every now and then.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I hate wdro and this set a lot, posting to confirm its absolutely amazing effectiveness when used intelligently in a semi BP wholly offensive team

I was reduced to changing my scarftar lead to a mixtar with taunt ._.

also, I would really recommend maximum speed on this since getting that first Taunt / Screen usually means the difference between 0 Pokemon lost or 2 Pokemon lost

lol, you can hate the set but why do you hate me as well?

Mixtar with taunt sounds like a good counter to this set, until people start catching on and give deoxys superpower... But then how well mixtar does against other leads is another problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)