DP Gyarados

Just putting it out there that I've been running a specially defensive RestTalk Gyarados with Waterfall and Avalanche pretty successfully. It takes hits from both sides of the spectrum pretty well thanks to Intimidate and makes a remarkable switch-in to physical and special Lucario; it also a good check against Skymin and a fantastic Infernape counter.

(Gyarados) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP/80 Def/176 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Avalanche
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

The EVs are rather arbitrary, but they get the job done. I just maxed HP, and put enough SpD to get an extra point yet still have a good number in Defense to help take advantage of Intimidate. I know Junior used a specially defensive RestTalk Gyara so maybe he can share what his EVs were/are.

That is just showing the set, it is not to be put in the analysis yet.

Also, why are you telling people to use the format when you didn't?

Uhh, Shelcario, I'm just bringing it up as an alternate EV spread.

Anyway, if others also feel that a special defensive spread is viable, I wrote up a little paragraph to put into either the EVs section or the RestTalk section itself. If you put it with the RestTalk set, edit the first part of this paragraph to read "This set is also..."

<p>The RestTalk set is also quite viable with a specially defensive EV spread. A 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD spread with a Careful nature makes a handy switch-in to myriads of threats, both special and physical. The special defensive EVs make Gyarados an excellent counter to Heatran and a useful check against special threats such as Shaymin. Thanks to Intimidate, even with less physical defensive investment, Gyarados can still easily switch into neutral and resisted physical attacks, making it an excellent counter for commonly mixed and physical threats such as Lucario, Infernape, and Scizor.</p>

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Looks fine to me. I can add this in once we get the "other spread" taken care of.

Bounce will be added once we get everything all set with Gyarados in Other Options.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Updated Bulky Gyarados EVs, fixed the weird comment that Caelum mention, and finally added Darkie's spread. This can be moved to the Peer Edit archive now.

Took a look at this Colonel. Everything looks good. However, on the RestTalk set, I mentioned a few posts up that Infernape does still have a chance to OHKO this thing after Nasty Plot so that sentence should probably removed or changed. I wouldn't want a battler to get screwed because of what is said in the analysis :-D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)