DP IV calculator in TI 83+?

I've been thinking about making an IV calculator for the TI 83+ (for those who havent a clue; it's a calculator used commonly at some schools) for a while now, but since I hardly have any programming knowledge, I'm wondering whether it's practical to make one and whether it's worth the time it'll take me.

I'll try to write down the way I want it to work, I'd like some advice on practicality and possibly also commands to use:

first it should ask for either the pokemon's name or number, which will link to a set of base stats that will be used later on in the formula for the IVs. I've considered just asking for the base stats, but this would need a seperate source beside your pokemon game, which would essentially remove the purpose of the calculator as you'll probably have an internet IV calculator at hand in that case anyway.

it will then ask to either choose from 1 of 30 natures, or to manually fill in the name of the nature of the pokemon

after that you will have to fill in the level, hp, attack, defense, special attack, special defense and speed of the pokemon

if all of these are filled in it will either ask you to double check everything or immediately continue to calculate the IVs for the pokemon. the calculator will either give the average IVs or a list of minimum and maximum IVs (I'm not yet sure about which is more useful for the user)

if the possibility is there I might also want to add the type and power of Hidden Power

comment, criticize or give feedback please!

edit: forgot to add asking for the amount of EVs the pokemon already has, this might not be necessary because of the wide use of the stat reduction berries, but depending on how hard it will be to implement it it could potentially be left out

that would be mad cool. i would definiatly get one. i could do this during math class when i have nothing else better to do. it would also be great if you couln't get online for some reason.

Great idea, I would like to help you in programming but I am not an expert. I think we can also use TI for more purposes like damage calculator or just upload directly dragontamer's cents to it.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It's feasible. It will be complex as hell and maybe not make much sense in terms of the Menu() system (unless you writhe your own GUI!) but it would be awesome. Why do you Smogons keep giving me ideas to procrastinate with?

Just fill up matrix [A] with the IV values of various levels, and then run the program. That way, you don't have to write up a UI or anything like that, and can stick to raw coding.

There actually is already an IV calc for TI-83, I don't remember where I found it but I have it on my calculator. You have to enter the base stats manually though, which is kind of troublesome. I also don't believe there is a Hidden Power calculator in it, but I think it lets you put in the amount of EVs on the pokemon. Otherwise, it's basically the same as what you're thinking about making. If you could implement the Hidden Power calc and the names/numbers of the pokemon, I would definitely prefer to use yours.

Adjunct, if you would like to get this program to use as a foundation for what you're planning to make, or if anyone else wants to get it, let me know and I can post it up here when I get home later today.

I made a program on my TI83+ Calc that, when I entered the current level, an IV, and a base stat (with a seperate program for HP due to different calculation), it would tell me the next level where the stat with that IV would differ from the stat with one lower IV. Of course, this was for emerald, with infinate Rare Candies. I also stored my more common base stats on my calc.

That would be fantastic. I may actually look into some code for that as well, though mine would be...rudimentary at best.

For anyone who is interested, here is the program;
http://rapidshare.com/files/87158412/POKEIV.8xp.html

The thing is, it showed up as a protected program when I transferred it using TI Connect, so you may not be able to actually see how it's coded. Maybe you can though, I don't really know. In any case, the splash screen that shows up when you load it says it was created by Wyrlwynd of pokerealm.net so you may be able to look there for more information and/or help.

sick i have one of those calculators when i accidently took it home with me. I just "forgot" to give it back. This would be awesome

I made an extremely bare bones IV calculator for my TI-89, and translated it to TI-83+ for someone. The only problem with making an IV calc for a TI-83 is the lack of a ceiling() function.

Karrot

plant
is a Past WCoP Champion
Hahaha, that's pretty nifty, although I don't enjoy the Pokemon games nor care about its competitive Wifi. I'm all about Competitor/Shoddy/Netbattle.

I made an accurate damage calculator for my calculator, but clearing calcs before each test kinda ruined the idea <_<

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Haha, I thought of trying this one day (making it) but its more complicated than it looks. >_>;

Anyways, I'll look into that. I have a TI-84 but usually it's compatible anyways, so I'm not worried. Thanks for that whoever posted it though.

This is the IV calculator I made for a TI-83+.

Code:
PROGRAM:IVCALC
:Disp "IS HP?"
:Disp "1) YES"
:Input "2) No",M
:Input "BASE STAT=",B
:Input "LEVEL=",L
:Input "EVS=",E
:int(E/4)[STO>]E
:Input "STAT=",S
:If M=2 Then
:Input "NATURE EFFECT=",N
:If int(S/N)=/=(S/N) Then
:int(S/N)+1[STO>]S
:Else
:S/N[STO>]S
:End
:If M=1 Then
:S-10-L[STO>]S
:S-5[STO>]S
:S+1[STO>]T
:Disp "MIN IV="
:If int(100*S/L)=/=(100*S/L) Then
:Disp int(100*S/L)-(B*2)-E+1
:Disp int(100*S/L)-(B*2)-E
:Disp "MAX IV="
:If int(100*T/L)=/=(100*T/L) Then
:Disp "int(100*T/L)-(B*2)-E
:Disp int(100*T/L)-(B*2)-E-1

1. Sorry for reviving an old thread.
2. I am going to be porting StarCalc IV/EV to the TI-83 within a few years (once I actually get a TI-83; you may even see StarCalc for TI-Calc by the end of 2009. Please note that due to memory restrictions only National numbers will be accepted, no names. Also, a lite version may be available [depending on the kind of feedback I receive] which does not include the lookup database [note that the database takes up 7K of memory])
3. Ceiling functions are quite easy in TI-Basic. Here is the code:

Code:
:y→0-(int(0-x))
Note: y represents the variable you want to store the ceiling function in (if you don't want to store it, you could put something else instead of y and the arrow), and x represents the number you want to do a ceiling function on.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wow, this sounds like a really cool idea. Sounds kinda familiar though. Maybe a damage calc would work too?

EDIT: Oh it's a bump for a thread I've already posted in...

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I should get back to that calculator and clean up the code and finish those updates. I have some of the program completed, cleaner menus, HP, and all that, but I wasn't satisfied enough to upload it for use by everyone else. I don't know where my calculator went to and I really only like programming on the actual calculator despite the ability to emulate the TI-89, so no idea when I will finish that.

But for TI-83/84+ there has been a calculator out for quite some time, I've never used it so I cannot vouch for it. You can find that one here. It says Advance generation, but it mentions needing the base stats so I don't see why it cannot work for DP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)