DP Jirachi

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Jirachi is such an awesome Pokemon that I had to write an analysis for it. Unfortunately, Smogon.com is down so I couldn't have checked whether this has been written or not. I went off Hip's word and trusted him, as well as searching this forum for any Jirachi of this kind.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/jirachi

[SET]
Name: Rain Dance Jirachi
Move 1: Rain Dance
Move 2: Thunder
Move 3: U-Turn / Water Pulse / Psychic
Move 4: Wish
Item: Damp Rock / Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Nature: Bold

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>As well as being a pseudo-wall, this Jirachi also functions as a Rain Dance inducer. Jirachi is arguably one of the best Rain Dancers as it can support itself in a number of ways, including neutralizing Fire-attacks, giving Thunder 100% accuracy and boosting Water Pulse’s power. It also makes a great candidate for Rain Dance as it has a more or less, reliable healing move. Wish also provides support for the team, and can be very useful thanks to the large usage of Life Orb on Rain Dance teams.</p>

<p>Thunder and Water Pulse, as stated above, is not only there to abuse Rain Dance, but to annoy opposing Pokemon with the use of the Parafusion tactic. This tactic can be pulled off quite easily thanks to Serene Grace, boosting the Paralysis chance to 60% and Confusion chance to 40%. Electric and Water also provides great coverage, resisted only by the uncommon Grass-types, Lanturn and Quagsire. If you dislike the lack of STAB, Psychic is a decent option for Jirachi and still lets it uphold its nice coverage.</p>

<p>U-Turn is an option over either of the aforementioned attacks if they do not suit your needs. U-Turn has the advantage of allowing you to scout for Jirachi's counters and switch something in accordingly. Due to U-Turn allowing Jirachi to do so, an option for Jirachi is to use Sassy as your nature and have your IVs set as low as possible for Speed.</p>

-----

I couldn't think of much to comment about it as everything is pretty straight forward!

I personally would run enough speed to outrun Tyranitar, especially if you're using Water Pulse as you can do something to it now. You can also talk about how Rain Dance ruins Heatran a bit, which from my experience is Jirachi's most common switch in.

Electric and Water-type also provides great coverage, resisted only by the uncommon Lanturn and Quagsire.</p>
I think this should just be Water.

Toothache

Let the music play!
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Don't forget most Grass types resist both Electric and Water moves (although a lot of Grass types are weak to Psychic), and Shedinja also is immune to all three types. Both Cacturne and Shiftry can be a problem especially. As a final option, perhaps HP Ice can be throw in somewhere if grassers become an issue.

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
As well as being a pseudo-wall, this Jirachi also functions as a Rain Dance inducer. Jirachi is arguably one of the best Rain Dancers as it can support itself in a number of ways
I think itself sounds a lot better than Jirachi there.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
I can't see why you wouldn't use max HP, which would help your overall defenses more than your current spread, especially since you apparently are trying to maximize your defenses rather than surviving anything specific.

Personally from my experience with the set, U-Turn is needed in slot 3. Like many Rain Dance users, Jirachi is meant to set up rain dance and escape right away. Thunder is all you need in the way of attacking. U-Turn allows you to safely switch into your Wish recipients and set up a sweep.

If you still want a different attack on slot 3 than just get rid of Psychic for U-Turn and list it as: U-Turn / Water Pulse

Massive problem - Swampert, and to a lesser extent, Rhyperior and Hippowdon.

Solution - Switch water pulse for the arguably better grass not.

Water Pulse, after rain dance boost, does a mere 90 base.
Graa Knot, on the other hand, will do 120 base, essentially 1-2HKOing all of the counters.

The only time I can expect Water Pulse > Grass Knot is against Garchomp, but Jirachi is a pathetic Garchomp counter if it isn't locked into Outrage.

Psychic is good for dealing with these, but Grass Knot is arguably better at these, and overall usefulness.

I always used this with U-turn/Wish/Rain Dance, then played around with the last slot a bit (Stealth Rock, Water Pulse, Thunder, screens, Protect, Zen Headbutt). I know it's tempting to throw in both of the moves that benefit from the Rain, but you should be using this as support, not trying to sweep with it. I had Bold or Impish, 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD. EVs are a bit arbitrary, but they still let you survive a Specs Overheat from Heatran in the Rain.

junior

is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
@Tooth: Oops, how did I forget Grass-types. v_v

I'll throw U-Turn into the set, as well as mention Grass and add other minor edits people suggested.

Wish also provides support for the team, and can be very useful thanks to the large usage of Life Orb on Rain Dance teams.
Sounds a little bit better imo.

but to annoy opposing Pokemon with the use of the Parafusion tactic.
Usage doesn't sound right...

Psychic is a decent option for Jirachi and still lets it uphold its nice coverage.
Nitpicking sorry...

U-Turn is an option to either aforementioned attacks if they do not suit your needs.
Same as above...

U-Turn has the advantage of allowing you to scout for Jirachi's counters and switch something in accordingly.
Same as above...

Thanks have a nice day ^^. Sorry for the nitpicks.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spd would probably be better here, I think.

I've used this set with a good amount of success. Probably worth adding to the analysis. Jirachi's just born to Rain Dance; reduces one weakness, 60% para Thunder, 40% confuse Water Pulse...

junior

Editing them in, Servant.

Chris, I know I've stated that in the analysis. Also, I think I'm going to go with Phuquoph's EVs.

May I suggest changing the nature to Relaxed and 0 speed IV? In using Rain Dance, the common strategy is to Rain Dance with something like Bronzong and then Explode on out to give your rain sweeper the free switch in. A slow-as-possible U-Turn does the same thing without sacrificing Jirachi. And the Wish support makes it all the sweeter.

junior

Ok added a comment about them.

Any final nitpicks?

EDIT: Ok, locking this and throwing it into the SCMS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)