DP Magnezone

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This is probably one of the most effective Magnezone sets that I have ever tested. It always makes for a great surprise, and it works EXTREMELY well.
The current analysis has this bunched in with the Choice Specs set, but the nature and EVs required are completely different. Enough so, that I believe it warrants its own set.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/magnezone

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Explosion
move 3: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Ground
move 4: Flash Cannon / Toxic
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Magnet Pull
nature: Timid
evs: 20 HP / 252 SpA / 236 Spe

<p> With Choice Scarf and the given EVs, Magnezone reaches a respectable 352 Speed. A Speed stat of 352 allows Magnezone to switch into Gengar's Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, or Hidden Power Ice, out speed, and then strike back with a STAB Thunderbolt. This particular Magnezone also has the benefit of out-speeding common Gyarados and Non-Scarf Garchomp. Modest Magnezone with max Speed only reaches a Speed stat of 328 (tying with positive natured base 100s). While the boost in power may seem tempting, it is much more useful to out-speed Garchomp, Infernape, and Gengar.</p>

<p>Thunderbolt is Magnezone's main form of attack. Explosion is useful for taking out key threats and can be used as a powerful last resort. Hidden Power Ice allows Magnezone to revenge kill common OU Dragons and is one of Magnezone's only options against opposing Grass and Ground types. Although Magnezone has some trouble switching in on Heatran, if it manages to safely come in on Non-Scarf variants, it is able to trap and kill it with Hidden Power Ground. Flash Cannon hits opposing Ground types for neutral damage and is Magnezone's best option against Tyranitar. Toxic helps wear down counters such as Cresselia and Blissey.</p>

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This set is so annoying if played correctly, lol.

Though, I think by Luster Cannon you mean Flash Cannon.

This is a very good set. You used it against me fairly effectively when we battled, however, being locked into a move like Thunderbolt isn't always a good idea.

Other than that, I thought it was great. It's definately a good revenge killer, and it has the bonus of being able to switch into many attacks.

SoT

I leave and they change my avatar to this?
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
<p> With Choice Scarf and the given EVs, Magnezone reaches a respectable 352 Speed. A Speed stat of 352 allows Magnezone to switch into Gengar's Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, or Hidden Power Ice, out speed, and then strike back with a STAB Thunderbolt. This particular Magnezone also has the benefit of out-speeding common Gyarados and Non-Scarf Garchomp. Modest Magnezone with max Speed only reaches a Speed stat of 328 (tying with positive natured base 100s). While the boost in power may seem tempting, it is much more useful to out-speed Garchomp, Infernape, and Gengar.</p>

<p>Thunderbolt is Magnezone's main form of attack. Explosion is useful for taking out key threats and can be used as a powerful last resort. Hidden Power Ice allows Magnezone to revenge kill common OU Dragons and is one of Magnezone's only options against opposing Grass and Ground types. Although Magnezone has some trouble switching in on Heatran, if it manages to safely switch in on Non-Scarf variants, it is able to trap and kill it with Hidden Power Ground.Flash Cannon hits opposing Ground types for neutral damage and is Magnezone's best option against Tyranitar. Toxic helps wear down counters such as Cresselia and Blissey.</p>

Like Aldaron stated earlier, Flash over Luster. And with the senctance that I changed just seemed to flow a little better than how you previously had it. Although I think Scarf Magnezone is still a decent counter for Scarf Heatran locked in a HP Ice/Dragon Pulse.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Fixed everything. Might try to find a way to work in the Dragon Pulse / HP Ice bit.

Is there any reason youre using Timid instead of Hasty or Naive? It seems like the rise in power for Explosion would be worth the drop in defense since it is not meant to be tanking.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
I just use Timid because Magnezone has naturally high defenses and nice resistances. Makes it easier for it to switch in, especially being choiced.

I had originally planned to put those as options, but I wasn't sure.

Could I get more opinions on this?

SoT

I leave and they change my avatar to this?
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Maybe the + Sp Atk nature - Sp. Def Nature.

It really depends on how much Explosion does to a Blissey, if it's around 80ish with a timid nature or so you should be fine.

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
This post is for jrrrrrrr's and Aldaron's purposes...

This is good, hold onto this. Making a note to remove Choice Scarf off the existing Choice set when this is uploaded.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
yeah, I've used this recently and I'm going to just upload this to SCMS. Also, I removed a mention of Blissey in reference to Toxic. Natural Cure lol?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)