DP Mantine .

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I saw LonelyNess use this Mantine while testing for UU seemed to be the craze, and when I used it, I found that it was very useful on a uu stall team.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/mantine

[SET]
Name: RestTalk Mantine
Move 1: Rest
Move 2: Sleep Talk
Move 3: Surf / Ice Beam
Move 4: Toxic / Hidden Power Flying
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Nature: Calm
Ability: Water Absorb

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set's purpose is to completely wall the special side of the UU metagame, especially in combination with Pokemon that resist Electric and can handle either Grass or Ice attacks (like very special defensive Meganium). It will also help absorb status, as Rotom, Butterfree, and Venomoth all can occasionally annoy a team with a well placed Will-o-wisp or Sleep Powder.</p>

<p>Surf + Toxic is not effective on only Toxicroak, Qwilfish and the Grass / Poison Pokemon of UU. Otherwise, Mantine will have a field day being able to absorb nearly any special attack while slowly lowering the foe's HP with Toxic + Rest + Sleep Talk. The Special Attacking Nidoking's Thunderbolt will not OHKO this Mantine, and Mantine can respond with a Super Effective Surf.</p>

<p>Mantine is one of the few counters in UU to the Nasty Plot Toxicroak set, but obviously requires HP Flying to be a true counter. This also is a very effective counter to the special side of UU Rain, as Gorebyss / Omastar most frequently carry Hidden Power Grass, not Hidden Power Electric. Note however, that some Omastar now carry AncientPower, which, with either a stat boost or Stealth Rock damage, will 2HKO Mantine.</p>

This also is a very effective counter to the special side of UU Rain, as Gorebyss / Omastar most frequently carry Hidden Power Grass, not Hidden Power Electric.</p>
Its worth mentioning that Mantine still has to be wary of Ancient Power on Omastar, as an increasing number of 'stars are now carrying it ...

No.

I generally don't run Rain Dance teams as they're so broken in UU, and take the fun out of it, and when I do I never use anything as "cliche" as Omastar ...

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
lol overdramatic ODDish

Anyway, I ran calculations for Omastar. 361 Special Attack Life Orb Ancient Power does 52.69% maximum to that Mantine, meaning it never 2HKOes with Leftovers. Mantine really only needs to worry when unlucky.

Obviously it can't stay in against Omastar, but it can easily afford to Toxic it, and then take the next one and Rest for 18.75% Toxic damage + 20% Life Orb damage + 2 turns wasted of Rain.

Its worth mentioning that Mantine still has to be wary of Ancient Power on Omastar, as an increasing number of 'stars are now carrying it ...
I agree that it is definitely worth mentioning, especially considering with Stealth Rock it is a 2HKO 100% of the time. Nice set Aldaron! This is definitely viable in UU and with Toxic is can really screw an opponent over, since Mantine doesn't go down that easily.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)