DP Metagross

Status
Not open for further replies.

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/metagross

[SET]
Name: MixGross
Move 1: Meteor Mash
Move 2: Earthquake
Move 3: Hidden Power Fire
Move 4: Grass Knot
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
Nature: Brave
EVs: 252 Atk, 128 Def, 36 SpA, 92 Spe
IVs: Preferably 29 HP IVs.

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>While it having Meteor Mash and Earthquake on its moveset, it can pull quite a nasty surprise with incoming physically defensive orientated pokemon with its two special attacks, Hidden Power Fire and Grass Knot. With these two moves, Metagross can 2HKO unsuspecting Skarmory, Hippowdon, Donphan, Rhyperior, Milotic and OHKO Swampert and Forretress. Basically bulky ground, rock, water and steel types will have trouble switching in.</p>

<p>Meteor Mash is obviously a must on any Metagross. With this attack, all special walls barring Empoleon will be taken down with two hits. It is also this Metagross' strongest form of attack and hits as hard as the AgiliGross and DP Battle Tower Metagross.</p>

<p>Earthquake is primarily for Heatran, though you'll have to catch it on the switch, as most Heatran will outspeed you. It provides good type coverage with Meteor Mash, hitting Electric-types and Empoleon for super-effective damage. It also OHKOs Magnezone, provided you are faster or it doesn't have Magnet Rise.</p>

<p>Now to explain the EV spread, Brave with 252 Attack EVs are pretty self explanatory, to hit hard. 36 SpA EVs with Life Orb is all Metagross needs to 2HKO and OHKO many common counters like Skarmory and Hippowdon and so on. While the 92 Spe EVs with Brave for its nature may seem contradictory, it is actually its best nature since this allows it to outspeed common trapping Magnezones as well as outspeeding Metal Sound and Sleep Talking Heatrans.</p>

<p>Even after all of this, MixGross still has 128 EVs remaining. Defense is basically the better choice for the EVs so Metagross can still take hits like a champ. The reason that it isn't on HP is because of Life Orb.</p>

I use a very similar set on shoddy, however instead I placed all those Sped Ev's into Defense.

However you should also take note that 29 HP IV would be better due to less Life Orb Recoil

junior

is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Metagross needs speed in order to take out some of its threats who would, otherwise, easily counter him.

Yeah, I'll go and edit my thread about the IVs. Thanks for your input.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
*SET COMMENTS, yes it does matter

i dont know anything about mixgross but if this is deemed a good idea the prose needs a lot of work

This looks like a solid set and an improvement upon the current MixGross. Here are my suggestions.

<p>Meteor Mash is obviously a must on any Metagross. With this attack, all special walls barring Empoleon will be taken down with two hits. It is also this Metagross' strongest form of attack and hits as hard as the AgiliGross and DP Battle Tower Metagross.</p>
Cresselia is also a special wall that avoids a 2HKO from Meteor Mash. You could also consider Tentacruel and Milotic to be special walls that are not 2HKOd.

<p>Earthquake is on this set to basically take down Magnezones who think they can trap and set up on you. It is also for an uncommon special wall, Empoleon, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared. Not to mention without Earthquake, Metagross with be utterly destroyed by Heatran</p>
I'd rephrase that like this.

Earthquake is primarily for Heatran, though you'll have to catch it on the switch, as most Heatran will outspeed you. It provides good type coverage with Meteor Mash, hitting Electric-types and Empoleon for super-effective damage. It also OHKOs Magnezone, provided you are faster or it doesn't have Magnet Rise.
<p>Even after all of this, MixGross still has 128 EVs remaining. Defense is basically the better choice for the EVs so Metagross can still take hits like a champ. The reason that it isn't on HP is because of Life Orb.</p>
Could you explain this a bit more? Defensively speaking, investing in HP would be wiser. I don't know how extra HP is worse with Life Orb, considering you lose 10% of your health either way.

junior

@chaos**
Fixed. Also, MixGross actually works really well because of its surprise factor and the ability to hit as hard as many non-band metagross. It also doesn't get walled by the its common counters.

@umbarsc
The standard Milotic (252 HP, 252 Def and Bold) gets a 2HKO by Grass Knot while the fully special defensive orientated takes a lot from an Earthquake.

Thank you, I will rephrase that paragraph with your one. It definitely sounds more sophisticated lol.

Putting 128 EVs into Defense allows Metagross to take physical attacks slightly better. Metagross won't be able to take many special attacks even with 128 EVs invested into HP. Unless it allows you to survive a certain attack from a certain Pokemon, I think its better in Defense for now. So far, I don't think, out of experience, that it makes a difference for common Special Tanks/Sweepers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)