Gen 4 DP OU Team

I've done a couple of XY and ORAS OU teams, but my favourite gen was gen 4, and so I have made this team to let me relinquish me happiest days in pokemon.

Machamp @ Lum Berry
Ability: No Guard
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 240 HP / 248 Atk / 16 SpD / 4 Spe
- Dynamic Punch
- Payback
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch

Machamp goes well with the HO style team, holding nothing back. Its role is essentially a wall breaker, but can also revenge kill late game with Bullet Punch. Its Dynamic Punch can also annoy the opposition, with the confusion often forcing a switch out. Bullet Punch is to revenge kill any prey, and Ice Punch is to hit Dragons, Grass types and birds. There are quite a few Machamps in the metagame, so 4 Speed EVs are there simply to outspeed opposing Machamp.

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

Dragonite is a component of the DragMag combo with Magnezone. One Dragon Dance and it will destruct most things in its way. A boost elevates its attack to 604, allowing it to one shot many pokemon. Dragon Claw is for obvious STAB, and Earthquake creates coverage for Steel types that may wall it. Extreme Speed is there so Dragonite can come and revenge kill any weak prey. Its synergy with Magnezone and Heatran is great, and Dragonite itself uplifts the HO team status.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Nature: Naive
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon
- Explosion

Completing the DragMag combo, Magnezone traps and kills all Steel types that may come. Its role is a wallbreaker, and also a suicidal bomb. Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon are its main STAB moves, and HP Fire is there to KO the trapped Steel types. Explosion is the best option if there is a Pokemon in the opposition that just can't be taken down. Explosion is a last ditch effort to help the team, and if it doesn't kill the opposing pokemon, then Dragonite or Machamp can revenge kill it with their priority moves.

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Grass

Heatran's main purpose is to set up the Stealth Rocks and use its bulk to stay alive for possible future use. Heatran has STAB Fire Blast which hits hard against Grass and Ice types, and Earth Power gives support against opposing Steel pokemon. HP Grass is there to hit the ever common water types like Swampert. The Shuca Berry is there to weaken Ground attacks so that it is sure to get up the Stealth Rocks, hence the full investment in Speed EVs.

Celebi @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Modest
EVs: 232 HP / 240 SpA / 36 Spe
- Thunder Wave
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power Fire
- Recover

Going away from the HO style, Celebi spreads paralysis to opposing pokemon for easier sweeping by the other pokemon. Thunder Wave is the main move for status. Leaf Storm hits hard on a lot of foes, including Tyranitar, being able to be OHKO'd after Stealth Rocks. HP Fire hits Steel switch ins that may do so when seeing Celebi.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

Starmie is in the team for the reason to clear any hazards. There have been too many games where opposition have set up Toxic Spikes, Stealth Rock and Spikes all at once to chip away at my pokemon. Starmie gets rid of that, which is a huge relief. Due to its Speed, it is able to do this swiftly without any disturbance. Also, Starmie fits in with the HO theme, with Hydro Pump and Thunderbolt at its disposal. Once all the entry hazards are gone, the two attacks will hit hard and allow Starmie to break opposing pokemon. Recover is there for gaining health back, in case the entry hazards crop up again.

This is my first DP OU team, so bare with me. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I'm really busy so I'll just do a placeholder here until I can get off an actual rate:

Some off the top of my head thoughts:
Celebi has Natural Cure so Sitrus Berry is redundant, run Life Orb for more power (esp against stuff like TTar).
Max SpA LO Starmie is better for this kind of HO build, it doesnt stick around as well but it still spins and does a ton against Bulky Grounds that can stop your Drags.
LO DDNite is not that great, has a ton of power but gets stopped by the same things as Bulky Nite (which gets 2 DDs to hit harder and has some defensive value). If you want to stick with it run Outrage, may make you more prone to getting revenge killed but you need the power to bust up stuff like Suicune, Swampert, Hippowdon (as even at +1 you only have an outside shot at 2HKOing them with DClaw, while with Outrage a little prior damage guarantees a kill.)

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Not a bad team, but I'd change a few things around to make the team more optimal.

Here are a few issues I noticed:
  • Choice Scarf Flygon looks really hard for you to beat. It gets easy U-turns on Celebi or a low Starmie and can outspeed and KO pretty much everything on your team. You have Shuca on Heatran, but nothing to hit Flygon with.
  • Dragon Dance Tyranitar sweeps you if it boosts and it gets an easy opportunity to set up on Heatran and even Starmie or Dragonite if it bluffs Scarf.
  • Magnezone doesn't look especially useful since you have Starmie and Heatran. Dragonite isn't rly dependent on it to work.
  • Dragonite could run a better set IMO, I think that kind of DD set is better on full on HO teams.
  • Lack of a real revenge killer can be a downside against offensive teams.
To solve the first four issues, I recommend changing Magnezone to a Swords Dance Scizor. The bulky variant gives you a Dragon resist that's able to stick around until late game and set up on Flygon's weak attacks if needed. Scizor also has a super effective priority attack on Tyranitar, allowing you to revenge kill the DDer, and even the Scarf set if it's being a dick. With only lead Machamp to handle it I don't think you stand much chance, but Scizor should give you enough room to beat it. I also suggest making Dragonite the mixed variant. MixNite laughs at every Steel type in the tier with Fire Blast and Superpower, and can weaken bulky stuff that could stop a Scizor sweep. It also gives you a hard hitter which I think your team is lacking atm.

To fix the revenge killer problem, I think you could make Celebi a Choice Scarfer. Scarf Celebi is an underrated variant but still very effective. It can scout the opponent thanks to U-turn while also keeping a very strong offensive presence thanks to STAB Leaf Storm and great coverage options in Earth Power and HP Ice. The only problem with it is that it can be trapped by Tyranitar or Scizor if it's locked in the wrong move, so I'd advise keeping it for late game or at least U-turning early game.

I'd also change a few sets:
  • I'd give Heatran Explosion over Hidden Power. Explosion is a neat option when you find yourself walled by something and allows you to take out a counter for one of your sweepers. Hidden Power is the least useful of Heatran's moves anyway, at least on the Shuca set.
  • I think your team would benefit more from 3 Attacks Starmie than the bulky variant, given that it's very offensive. Don't need to use Life Orb, just a basic offensive set with Leftovers gives you enough coverage to keep the momentum going while not really costing you much longevity.
  • I'd throw in Stone Edge on Machamp, Gyarados is a dick.
Here's an importable of what I would use:
Machamp @ Lum Berry
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 248 Atk / 16 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Payback
- Bullet Punch
- Stone Edge

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 48 Atk / 252 SpA / 208 Spe
Rash Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Superpower
- ExtremeSpeed

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 216 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Explosion

Celebi @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Starmie @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

:]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)