DP Research Thread #2 ("New")

Status
Not open for further replies.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How does Transform work with regard to Hidden Power? Does it copy their IVs (meaning you'd have their Hidden Power type), or does it copy their stats but somehow keep your IVs in memory (and thus you keep your own Hidden Power type)?

How does Transform work with regard to Hidden Power? Does it copy their IVs (meaning you'd have their Hidden Power type), or does it copy their stats but somehow keep your IVs in memory (and thus you keep your own Hidden Power type)?
It copys their IVs. Just tested it with a Pikachu with HP Ice and 4 different Dittos.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Rivalry boosts the move power of Special Attacks as well by 25% if the targeted Pokemon is of the same gender.

Proof:

Female Shinx (Rivalry) Lv. 9 using Shock Wave with 14 SpAtk against Female Wumple Lv. 10 with 11 SpDef.

Expected damage without Rivalry boost: 10, 12 or 13.
Expected damage with Rivalry boost: 13, 15 or 16.

Damage: 15, 16.

Hence Rivalry boosts the move power of any move (be it physical or special) by 25% if the foe is of the same gender.

X-Act

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Double-posting for some critical results. I'm talking about Critical Hits. :)

Okay, first, a summary:

1) High-critical hit moves lose in this generation.
2) Focus Energy gains in this generation.
3) The percentages for CHs seem to be the same as in previous generations, but further testing is needed to confirm this.

Here are all the test results so far. This was done by me and Peterko, by the way. Peterko did most of these, all of them but 2, to be exact, so kudos to him and his patience. :)

Normal moves (no items, no abilities, no high-CH moves, nothing): 3/25, 1/25, 3/25, 0/25 = 7/100 (7%)

Night Slash (a high CH move): 2/24, 3/24, 1/24, 4/24, 2/24 = 12/120 (10%)

Razor Claw with normal moves: 8/104, 14/104 = 22/208 (10.58%)

Super Luck with normal moves: 5/56, 4/32, 4/32 = 13/120 (10.83%)

Scope Lens with normal moves: 5/32, 5/32, 4/32, 3/32 = 17/128 (13.3%)

Focus Energy with normal moves: 6/20, 5/20, 3/20, 4/20, 8/20 = 26/100 (26%)

Scope Lens + Shadow Claw (a high CH move): 4/24, 5/24, 5/24, 7/24, 4/24 = 25/120 (20.83%)

Super Luck + Scope Lens with normal moves: 11/56, 21/56, 21/56, 7/32, 9/32, 9/32, 15/32 = 93/296 (31.4%)

Super Luck + Night Slash (a high CH move): 5/24, 6/24, 4/24, 12/24, 5/24 = 32/120 (26.67%)

Super Luck + Scope Lens + Night Slash (a high CH move): 5/24, 5/24, 7/24, 8/24, 10/24, 8/24, 7/24, 8/24 = 58/192 (30.2%)

Possible interpretation of results (but requires more testing)

There are at least 4 percentages for Critical Hits. I like to call them Critical Hit Domains:

Domain 0: 6.25%
Domain 1: 12.5%
Domain 2: 25%
Domain 3: 33%
Domain 4: ??? (we seem to have never reached this in our tests. This was 50% in previous generations.)

Moves that do not have a high CH ratio are at Domain 0.

High CH ratio moves are at Domain 1. This is different from the previous generations, since they used to start at Domain 2 there. So High CH ratio moves have a 12.5% chance of a Critical Hit, not 25%.

Scope Lens, Razor Claw and Super Luck increase the CH Domain by 1.

Focus Energy increases the CH Domain by 2. This is different from the previous generations, since there, it used to increase the CH Domain by only 1. So Focus Energy + normal move has a 25% chance of a Critical Hit, not 12.5%.

Comparing this to the results:

Normal moves: Domain 0: 6.25% (test result: 7%)

High CH moves: Domain 0 + 1: 12.5% (test result: 10%)

Razor Claw: Domain 0 + 1: 12.5% (test result: 10.58%)

Super Luck: Domain 0 + 1: 12.5% (test result: 10.83%)

Scope Lens: Domain 0 + 1: 12.5% (test result: 13.3%)

Focus Energy: Domain 0 + 2: 25% (test result: 26%)

Scope Lens + high CH moves: Domain 0 + 1 + 1: 25% (test result: 20.83%)

Super Luck + Scope Lens: Domain 0 + 1 + 1: 25% (test result: 31.4%)

Super Luck + high CH moves: Domain 0 + 1 + 1: 25% (test result: 26.67%)

Super Luck + Scope Lens + high CH moves: Domain 0 + 1 + 1 + 1: 33% (test result: 30.2%)

Only Super Luck + Scope Lens seems to vary from the test result, but this might be because of a quirk in the random number generation. If anyone else would like to add tests to this, he or she is more than welcome.

EDIT: Peterko: hmm I miss a sentence: HELP US BY PROVIDING AT LEAST SAMPLES OF 100 HITS FROM ONE OF THESE POSSIBLE COMBINATIONS :D

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Actually, I'm pretty certain high-CH moves always started at Domain 2, even in previous generations.

X-Act

I'm absolutely sure that high CH moves started at Domain 3 in GSC. Maybe the domains were 0,1,2,3,4 instead of 1,2,3,4,5, so your Domain 2 is Domain 3 for me. Every site I go to, well-respected or not, says that.

EDIT: According to Azure Heights this stayed the same for ADV as well.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Inspired by this little discrepancy, I decided to dust off my Silver and my GBC and do a little test.

To my surprise, out of 45 Cross Chop hits, precisely 30 of them were non-CHs, and 15 of them were CHs. That's a 33% CH rate for high-CH moves, or Domain 3.

Of course, it's also possible that in-game CH rates and link-battle CH rates are different.

X-Act

Well, 45 CHs is not enough to test this. If you had got 12, it would have been 26.67%, which is near to 25%. Getting only 3 more makes it 33%. So a small number of tests makes the percentage vary rather wildly. That's why we need more testing on this.

However, it does illustrate that high-CH moves were at least 25% chance of CH hitting, and now they seem to be only 12.5%.

Also, I'll change the Domain numbers to 0,1,2,3,4 since that's how everyone seems to know them.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
I was about to say "hey, you used samples of just 24!" That's when I noticed you took several samples of 24 and put them all together. Whoops!

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Could Thunder possibly hit through Protect (in the rain) in 1v1 and not 2v2? When I was battling 1v1 I hit Thunder through Protect every time, but when I tried it in 2v2 I got "X protected itself!" as normal.

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
Could Thunder possibly hit through Protect (in the rain) in 1v1 and not 2v2? When I was battling 1v1 I hit Thunder through Protect every time, but when I tried it in 2v2 I got "X protected itself!" as normal.
That would explain why TRE got no results when testing No Guard on his partner in 2v2.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Rain Dance Thunder can break through your ally's Protect in a double battle. I don't see why you couldn't breakthrough an opponent's Protect, but I've never tried it.

That would explain why TRE got no results when testing No Guard on his partner in 2v2.

Nope, I actually got it to work. No Guard Machamp using DynamicPunch can break through your ally's Protect in the English DP game. It PRB and Japanese version, I either had very bad luck or it doesn't work.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Well, I'll be doing a lot of double battle testing in the upcoming days. I'll post my results.

I started testing on the effect of Choice Items and transform.

I had Ditto with Choice Specs.
After using Transform I was free to pick whatever move that I wanted.

I'll do more testing latter but so far it seems that you get a free choice of action.

Edit: did another quick test. After transforming and picking a move the item locks you into that move. It is not 100% confirmed yet, but I decided to check for the benefit from the item via a Choice Scarf. I did outspeed the opponent each turn. I will try more latter, but it does seem to possibly give the item's benefit as well.

I agree with AninyMouse: I'm quite sure our description of Reckless is inaccurate. "Increases the recoil damage of moves used against you?" GameFreak's not that out to lunch.

The English in-game description is as follows: "Powers up moves that have recoil damage." I'm assuming this includes Jump Kick and Hi Jump Kick.

Also, I have confirmed that Reckless does not give recoil to moves that do not normally have it.

Also (sorry if i missed this), was wondering:
What happens if you use skill swap on a castform with Forecast while weather is in effect?
I did a whole bunch of testing with skill swap last night, including the situation above. It seems Castform gets stuck in the for it is currently in and it will not change even when the weather changes without its ability. As for the pokemon who now has forecast, since their form obviously isn't going to change, I couldn't figure out if their type was changing. Sorry if you all already knew this, but I couldn't find it anywhere, so I figured I'd share it.
Hope this helps!

Edit: Oh, almost forgot; Transform copies changed abilities due to skill swap (I copied a levitating regigigas with ditto and I didn't get the "Ditto can't get it going due to slow start" message, but instead it avoided regigigas' EQ. Again, if this was already known, let me know so I can delete this. Thanks!

Edit Edit:
"Multitype: Is the Sticky Hold bonus actually because of Multitype or something special to Arceus? Assuming Multitype can be Traced, you can test this by switching in Gardevoir, and then switching Arceus to something with Knock Off."
Just tested this out with a Mesprit and Arceus in a double battle. Used trick on arceus, but it failed every time. I guess skill swap doesn't work on multitype. Also tried using Alakazam's Role Play as a psuedo-trace (as i dont have anything with trace, apparently). Unfortunately, Role Play also failed. I also tried knocking off a plate held by the Alakazam, to see if plates by themselves could be removed. The plate was removed. Well, that's all for now. Hope all of this helps. Oh, also; I was wondering what the effects of Fog are on Forecast and Keen Eye. I'll have to test that later.

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
Oddly, I was under the impression Forecast couldn't be swapped. Anyway, a good group of research materials, Teferi!

I'll do my own testing with Forecast later, and see if the Pokémon who got Forecast changes typing. I wonder what would happen with combotypes... It would be funny if in Sunny Day they got changed into the equivalent of a Fire-Fire Pokémon, though I expect they'll be pure (single) fire, or Fire and (original second type). Could make for some interesting type combos if it works that way!

Also: Since TForm copies abilities, try this:
TForm into Arceus (I'm also interested in whether this would copy the Arceus' current form, or be based on Ditto's item), and then switch Arceus for a Skill Swapper, and see if Skill Swap works on the Ditto.

Also, try Gastro Acid on Arceus, to cancel his ability so you can determine if it's Arceus that naturally stops the items or if it's Multitype.

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
Has it been tested if Mud Sport/Water Sport can be baton passed? Because by the in-game text, it only stays in effect if the user stays in play. I quickly glanced at the moves thread given in the first post of this topic, but didn't see mention of either.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Footnote, I tested Hi Jump Kick and Take Down. Both got boosted by roughly 1.2x by Reckless. I imagine Jump Kick and the other recoil attacks also get the boost. I'm doubtful if it will count Life Orb damage as recoil, but it may be worth testing. Struggle probably gets a boost, once against might be worth testing.

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
Aww.
Drifblim uses Skill Swap!
Castform uses Sunny day! The sun got harsh!
Enemy Wooper uses Bubble!
Not Super-effective. No fire-type for GhostBalloon.

Thunderbolt was still SE on Drifblim, so it seems that its current types haven't been changed.

Also, I thought it might have something to do with Normal type, so I Swapped Forecast from Drifblim onto Snorlax. A fire attack on him was still Neutral, and not NVE.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
According to Serebii, Quick Ball's capture rate is 4x during the first 5 turns and decreases by 1 for each 5 turns after that. This is consistent with my experiences of trying to catch Palkias with Quick Balls. According to X-Act's full-health capture rate formula, a Dusk Ball would catch a full health Palkia roughly 31% of the time; out of 20 attempts with a Quick Ball, I caught Palkia successfully 6 times (30%).

Verdict: Quick Balls are worthless compared to Dusk Balls.

Footnote, I tested Hi Jump Kick and Take Down. Both got boosted by roughly 1.2x by Reckless. I imagine Jump Kick and the other recoil attacks also get the boost. I'm doubtful if it will count Life Orb damage as recoil, but it may be worth testing. Struggle probably gets a boost, once against might be worth testing.
Sweet. Thanks, TRE.

In other news, I'm getting back into the swing of research by testing Tangled Feet. Out of 100 100%-accurate moves launched at my Tangled Feet Chatot while it was confused, exactly 50 hit. So I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Tangled Feet gives a 50% evade rate during confusion.

Also, I kept track of how many times the Chatot hurt itself in confusion, and there does not appear to be a statistically significant variation from 50%, the accepted ratio of confusion.

X-Act

According to Serebii, Quick Ball's capture rate is 4x during the first 5 turns and decreases by 1 for each 5 turns after that. This is consistent with my experiences of trying to catch Palkias with Quick Balls. According to X-Act's full-health capture rate formula, a Dusk Ball would catch a full health Palkia roughly 31% of the time; out of 20 attempts with a Quick Ball, I caught Palkia successfully 6 times (30%).

Verdict: Quick Balls are worthless compared to Dusk Balls.
They're not that useless in the daylight. A ball that's twice as good as an Ultra Ball if it is not night and you're not in a cave is pretty good.

Regarding Reckless, Peterko tested it yesterday and he got a 20% boost to the power of Hi Jump Kick, to confirm what TRE said. We just tested it to see what is changed in the damage formula, so we didn't test any other moves.

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
some more news about revenge and technician

what has to be said first, in a double battle, revenge, avalanche, payback etc., moves which are affected by how the foe "behaves" get their boost only if the pkmn that is targeted by your attack activates your boost

for example both foe pkmn attack you revenger, but you targeted your partner which didn´t attack you, no boost...

revenge and technician work like this
1. revenge DOES get the technician boost if the effect is not activated (if in my case hitmontop wasn´t hurt by the target of revenge), revenge has 90 base power (unless there are more base power modifiers)
2. revenge DOES NOT get the technician boost if the target of revenge hurt you, the base power of revenge gets doubled, which means it has 120 base power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)