DP Research Thread #3 ("Newer")

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Flatter rises Special Attack by 1 stage. This applies to RSEFL as well as DP. I was able to rise a Smeargle Special Attack six times. On the 7th try, it stopped displaying the Sp Atk rose message.

Sucker Punch fails if your opponent uses the attack Substitute. However, it still works if they are behind a sub but using a damaging attack.

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Life Orb: Does the recoil trigger on Endeavor?
yes endeavor activates life orb, probably because endeavor does damage

Grip Claw: Partial trapping (Bind, Clamp, Wrap, etc.) moves apparently always last 5 turns with this, and then on the 6th turn, prevent the target from switching but does no damage. What happens if you use the partial trapper again during this 6th turn? Is it reset to a normal trapping move or does it just do the hit damage but doesn't reset the end-of-turn damage?
it works the same as without grip claw - the new bind will only deal damage, the previous (active) one is not reset

grip claw bind:
T1 squeezed, hurt by bind
T2 hurt by bind
T3 hurt by bind
T4 hurt by bind
T5 hurt by bind
T6 still can´t switch, freed from bind

despite using bind again on turn 2, 3, 4 and 6 the target was freed at the end of turn 6

also wanted to test sticky hold+fling but unfortunately my pal parked grimer/muk has stench and I have trouble finding a grimer with the pokéradar, maybe I´ll test it later

EDIT: 444th post :D

Team Rocket Elite

I just tried it out before making that post to make sure. Sucker Punch didn't work. Do you have any more information about the time it did work?

Glalie versus Absol, Glalie used Substitute, but was preceded by Absol's Sucker Punch and was KO'd. Glalie was at 89/304 hp. Absol had a Swords Dance. I have Pokemon Diamond, US Version.

Team Rocket Elite

Pokemon Pearl, North American version. I still can't get it to work.

Double Battle. I have an Absol and Glalie vs Machop and Meditite.

Absol uses Sucker Punch on Glalie. It fails.
Glalie uses Substitute. It works.
Machop and Meditite attack.

I also tried it in an English version of Battle Revolution.

I have a Cacturne vs Umbreon.

Cacture uses Sucker Punch. It fails.
Umbreon uses Substitute. It works.

question does recycle restore a used up power herb? i'd asked this in ask a simple question but i don't want it to get buryed

Glalie versus Absol, Glalie used Substitute, but was preceded by Absol's Sucker Punch and was KO'd. Glalie was at 89/304 hp. Absol had a Swords Dance. I have Pokemon Diamond, US Version.
Pokemon Pearl, North American version. I still can't get it to work.

Double Battle. I have an Absol and Glalie vs Machop and Meditite.

Absol uses Sucker Punch on Glalie. It fails.
Glalie uses Substitute. It works.
Machop and Meditite attack.

I also tried it in an English version of Battle Revolution.

I have a Cacturne vs Umbreon.

Cacture uses Sucker Punch. It fails.
Umbreon uses Substitute. It works.
I just tried it as well. Sucker Punch failed when my opponent used Substitute. I have Pokemon Diamond North American version.

Technician

I wonder does technician give a double boost to base 30- attacks because the boost is lower than 60 bp and what about attacks like fury attack what happens then?

I wonder does technician give a double boost to base 30- attacks because the boost is lower than 60 bp and what about attacks like fury attack what happens then?
All moves, regardless of power, as long as said BP is equal to or below 60 BP get the same boost. Fury Cutter gets the same boost, for each attack.

I just did some research on Toxic damage in DP, and I have a feeling these specifics were unknown to most people.

After 8 turns of healing with a Max Potion every turn and taking Toxic damage, my Mewtwo had 172/340 HP remaining (it didn't get hit). This proves that the toxic damage is:

floor(maxHP/16) * toxiccount

That is, it simply multiplies the damage you take on the first turn for subsequent turns, including the rounding error this creates. Since my Mewtwo took 21 damage on the first turn, it simply kept using the number 21 as the base number.

Also, Toxic's damage was capped at the point my Mewtwo survived with 25/340 HP. This proves that the toxiccount cap is 15 since 21 * 15 = 315.

Oh, I did redundant research, and it's highly possible this next thing I've found is redundant too but I don't feel too bad since this research is the side product of debugging Shoddy Battle. I did testing with Skill Swap, Rest, and Early Bird, and I've confirmed that Early Bird just counts as two turns asleep. If Mewtwo used Skill Swap on Ledian before Ledian's first turn fast asleep, Ledian would be fast asleep the next turn. If Mewtwo used Skill Swap after Ledian was fast asleep (thank you Lagging Tail), Ledian would wake up the next turn.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you Rapid Spin and there is no target, do you still remove Spikes / Leech Seed?

If you Brick Break and there is no target, do you break Reflect / Light Screen?

We need more testing on Freeze.

If you Rapid Spin and there is no target, do you still remove Spikes / Leech Seed?

If you Brick Break and there is no target, do you break Reflect / Light Screen?

We need more testing on Freeze.
No on both. The attacks have to actually hit something to make their effects work. I'm pretty sure the game counts no target attacks as non effective ones.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
Actually Brick Break removes Light Screen and Reflect even if it misses or doesn't affect the target. However, hitting no target and not affecting the target are also not the same; for example, Explosion against a ghost causes you to faint, while Explosion against no target does not cause you to faint.

Hitting no target in the game is probably implemented by just not executing the move at all, which would imply these two do not have their special effects against no target, but it should be specifically tested.

does magic guard prevent liquid ooze's effect on draining from happening?

this is easy to test in serveral ways

one is to leech seed a liquid ooze pokemon then send in magic guard clefa/fairy/fable

the other is try it with drain punch on a liquid ooze pokemon

I didn't see this anywhere in here, but it is important to note. If a pokemon in a double battle uses Destiny bond and its teammate accidently knocks out that pokemon, the teammate does not go with the D-bonder.

Proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEqhT138eos

02:42-03:47

I said something as the Dbonder fainted because I was worried, but based on what I had found through this battle, I didn't need to be.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
Look at this video.

At 3:20, Spiritomb kills Slowbro with a Dark move. But at 8:20, the same move is shown to still have all of its pp!

It's in Japanese, but I'm pretty sure the attack is Pursuit. Maybe this is linked to the Japanese Pursuit glitch, but maybe not. I don't remeber if that glitch had anything to do with pp.

Anyone knows what's going on here?

We know that Beat Up has its own damage formula, different from the standard one.

But, how is Beat Up affected by the Technician trait?

Does it apply to the base 10 (15 if affected) making it hit way harder?

Does it apply to the damage after the normal beat up formula?

Does it apply to all the party or just the user?

If it affects all the party, what happens if the user doesn't have tech, but a party member does.

Does it do anything at all?

I think this is quite an interesting question, seeing as how tech trait could make beat up a not-so-gimmick attack.

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
dunno if this was researched or not but a friend asked me so I tested it...thanks X-Act for the help

life orb, metronome and multi-hit moves

259 attack marowak life orb bone rush
vs
253 def milotic

hit 3 times: 114, 119 dmg
hit twice: 79 damage

"recoil" was 10% no matter how many times it hit

swords dance bone rush
vs
the same milotic

1st time (round 1): 5 hits -> 294 dmg
2nd time (round 2): 3 hits -> 198 dmg
3rd time (round 3): 3 hits -> 214 dmg

X-Act said:
First one is boosting all three hits by 30%.

Second one is definitely not boosting any of the hits in the first round. In the second round it is boosting every hit by 10%. In the third round it is boosting every hit by 20%.

It's okay. Hope that helps.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Is it confirmed that a Guts Pokemon that is asleep won't get the Guts boost if it uses Sleep Talk? Marvel Scale works for Milotic when it's asleep, after all. And what about Quick Feet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)