DP Research Thread #3 ("Newer")

Already known that ingrain now negates flyings immunity to ground type attacks and nulls the effects of levitate has well has making fliers and levitators be hit by spikes/poison spikes.

PS souldn't the confimed changes and new effects be be listed on the first page like the old research topics had done so?

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
If the Unaware user's not affected by unaware, and only "foes"-
Does a team-mate targetting the unaware user have stat changes negated?
Team mate attacking a foe?
Foe attacking the team-mate without unaware?
A foe with Unaware?

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The reason Speed isn't effected is because the stats are not removed, only ignored for purposes of interacting with the Unaware Pokemon. In 2v2, it's harder to tell who's interacting with what (especially with switching, Follow Me, etc. involved).

If the Unaware user's not affected by unaware, and only "foes"-
Does a team-mate targetting the unaware user have stat changes negated?

Yes.

Team mate attacking a foe?

No.

Foe attacking the team-mate without unaware?

No.

A foe with Unaware?

???
I'll see if I can find the test that confirmed that this is how it works, but I'm about 99.6% positive.

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
The reason Speed isn't effected is because the stats are not removed, only ignored for purposes of interacting with the Unaware Pokemon. In 2v2, it's harder to tell who's interacting with what (especially with switching, Follow Me, etc. involved).

I'll see if I can find the test that confirmed that this is how it works, but I'm about 99.6% positive.
I was also confident that it worked like that- Similar to Pressure, where the effect is like a filter that affects everything that targets the Pokémon with Unaware.

I can assume the following:
An Unaware Pokémon attacking another Unaware Pokémon will behave like any other Pokémon attacking an Unaware Pokémon.
Being attacked with a multi-target move, the foe's stat changes will only be negated when calculating damage against the Unaware Pokémon, and not against the Unaware's partner or its' own partner.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If Smeargle uses Mud Sport / Water Sport, then uses Baton Pass, does the effect remain?

Soliloquy switched in Metagross (lvl 100 Metagross).
Togekiss used Tri Attack.
It's not very effective...
Metagross lost 20% of its health.
Metagross is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
Metagross's Lum Berry cured its Paralysis!
Metagross was burned!
Togekiss's leftovers restored its health a little!
Togekiss restored 6% of its health.
Metagross was hurt by its burn!
Metagross lost 12% of its health.

Is this possible ingame or is it just on Shoddy?
This was put in the Resource Thread- which was obviously the wrong place, but that's not the point.
Is this possible? It would be absurd if it was.

obi

formerly david stone
How does Stealth Rock determine damage? Is it like, HP/2 for 4x effective, HP/4 for 2x effective, etc., or is it something like...

HP / 8 * Type1 * Type2?

(with rounding after each step)

For instance, a 300 HP Charizard would take 150 damage if it's just HP/2, but the second formula would give 148 damage dealt.

I don't see diference between the first and the second
300*2*2 = 1200 ; 1200/8 = 150 damage
EDIT: Just saw the note, it's without rounding down until the end.
the first seems more realiable.

It is 12.5% of total HP for neutral, then weakness/resistence applies in this percentage.

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
I don't see diference between the first and the second
300*2*2 = 1200 ; 1200/8 = 150 damage
EDIT: Just saw the note, it's without rounding down until the end.
the first seems more realiable.

It is 12.5% of total HP for neutral, then weakness/resistence applies in this percentage.
And you've tested this? No? Then leave us be.

I might get a nice number of HP on a Charizard to check this out using Pokésav, if I still have it sitting around here... But my time is very limited these days, so if someone else feels like testing before I can, go right ahead.

[NAME]
Stealth Rock
[SHORT DESC]
Damages foe's switch-ins.
[LONG DESC]
Stealth Rock is placed on the opponent's field and damages any Pokemon when they switch in. The base damage is 12.5%, and is affected by the target's susceptibility to Rock; Pokemon that are 4x weak to Rock will receive 50% max HP damage; 2x weak to Rock will result in 25%; a 2x resist will take 6.25%, and any Pokemon with a 4x resistance to Rock will only receive 3.125% max HP damage. This lasts until the opponent uses Rapid Spin.
I suppose they did. Don't think they'd put wrong info in the analyses. Just took it from there.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I can prove that floor(floor(x/8)/2) = floor(x/16) for every positive integer x, and that floor(floor(floor(x/8)/2)/2) = floor(x/32) for every positive integer x.

Suppose x = 16k + r, where k and r are positive integers. floor(x/8) = 2k, and hence, floor(floor(x/8)/2) = floor(2k/2) = k. floor(x/16) = k as well, providing the proof for the first one.

The proof for the second one is similar.

Suppose x = 32k + r, where k and r are positive integers. floor(x/8) = 4k, and hence, floor(floor(x/8)/2) = floor(4k/2) = 2k, and floor(floor(floor(x/8)/2)/2) = floor(2k/2) = k. floor(x/32) = k as well, proving the second one.

This means that, however the game implements it, the final answer is indistinguishable. Which means that we're covered for Stealth Rock resistances.

Now, for x2 and x4 weaknesses, this needs testing, as Obi said, since the answers are different.

obi

formerly david stone
That proof had me puzzling for quite a few minutes. I knew the result was right, but I kept "proving" it wrong, so to speak. Then I realized the problem:

For

x = 16k + r

k is a non-negative integer, and r is an integer between 0 and 15, inclusive.

floor(x/8) = 2k if, and only if r < 8

For r ≥ 8, floor(x/8) = 2k + 1

The result still works because you then divide again by 2, leaving k + 1/2, which, when floored, is just k.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You're right. I'm sorry for inducing those puzzling minutes. It shows that I wrote that down in 5 minutes before a lecture.

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
Related: Can False Swipe break a 1HP substitute? (is it even possible to have a 1HP substitute? I thought the lowest HP was like, 9, but at 7HP and flooring...)

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Well, False Swipe can break a Substitute of a pokemon at 1 HP, but 1 HP Substitute is impossible as the lowest non Sheddy HP is 11

Stall Pokemon that activate a Quick Claw go before ordinary Pokemon. I don't know if Stall comes into play at all when two Quick Claw Pokemon activate at the same time.

Soliloquy switched in Metagross (lvl 100 Metagross).
Togekiss used Tri Attack.
It's not very effective...
Metagross lost 20% of its health.
Metagross is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
Metagross's Lum Berry cured its Paralysis!
Metagross was burned!
Togekiss's leftovers restored its health a little!
Togekiss restored 6% of its health.
Metagross was hurt by its burn!
Metagross lost 12% of its health.

This was put in the Resource Thread- which was obviously the wrong place, but that's not the point.
Is this possible? It would be absurd if it was.
This is only possible on shoddy. Shoddy is coded to do the 6.25% paralasis, then check for a status, then do the 6.25% burn, then check for status, then freeze, etc. So, if you get statused, then the status is removed, when it checks before applying burn, it would find no status and cause you to become burned.

Not possible ingame, because ingame, the berry waits until the move is completely complete before activating.

Another fun tidbit is, the second and third statuses of triattack are slightly less probable than the first.

obi

formerly david stone
Another fun tidbit is, the second and third statuses of triattack are slightly less probable than the first.
Have you tested this in-game? It's possible for the actual way to be a 20% chance to status, then it generates a random number between 1 and 3 (or whatever) to choose your status if that check passes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)