DP Research Thread #3 ("Newer")

You are right Boa, Shed shell allows you to switch, but Whirlwind still doesn't work. And the same thing goes for suction cups... tested with both Lileep and Snover.

Just as a note- you can flinch on the turn you wake up from Sleep.
i.e. it says "POKEMON flinched!", then "POKEMON woke up!" ?

Or do they flinch after they wake up?

For boa, does Shadow Tag/Whirlwind work the same way, or does anyone know? (whirlwind against a shadow tag'd/arena trap'd pokemon, or whirlwind BY a shadow tag'd/arena trap'd pokemon)

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
You are right Boa, Shed shell allows you to switch, but Whirlwind still doesn't work. And the same thing goes for suction cups... tested with both Lileep and Snover.
Sweet, I might just use Ingrain+Shed Shell on my future Tangrowth sets to make my team item clause friendly. XD *tries to think up a set for something to abuse this*

I love when I call things right.

For boa, does Shadow Tag/Whirlwind work the same way, or does anyone know? (whirlwind against a shadow tag'd/arena trap'd pokemon, or whirlwind BY a shadow tag'd/arena trap'd pokemon)
If you have shadow tag/arena trap/etc you are still able to scare your opponent away (IIRC), and the same goes for if its effect is on you; As far as I remember, this is correct, but it may need tested.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
It goes in this order:

Pokemon woke up!
Pokemon Flinched!

Flinch has zero effect on how long a Pokemon sleeps for.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
I've keep hearing that freeze is influenced by the various weathers.

I can say that, at least on Colo/XD, this isn't the case ( I've been frozen under The Sun and have thawed instantly under the rain in both games ).

Is there some empirical evidence that this works on the GBA/DS, or is all of this just another urban legend?

@nope, it's 70.

Also, what happens in double battle if one pokemon uses whirlwind/roar and second one uses pursuit on the same enemy?

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
Vespiquen used Pursuit on medicham normally
Lucario used Roar on Medicham!

----
----

Lucario used Copycat! Lucario used Roar on Phione!
Phione switched for Chimchar
Vespiquen THEN used Pursuit on Chimchar for normal damage

Okay, just a quickie. For Flying-types like Gyarados under Gravity, would they still have the resistances granted by the Flying-type? Is it like Roost in which they lose all weaknesses and resistances granted by the Flying-type? I assume not because they are still hit Super Effective by Electric, Rock, and Ice-type moves, but I want to know for sure.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay, just a quickie. For Flying-types like Gyarados under Gravity, would they still have the resistances granted by the Flying-type? Is it like Roost in which they lose all weaknesses and resistances granted by the Flying-type? I assume not because they are still hit Super Effective by Electric, Rock, and Ice-type moves, but I want to know for sure.
True. Gravity only removes the Flying-type immunity to Ground, not any of its other immunities\resistances.

I've keep hearing that freeze is influenced by the various weathers.

I can say that, at least on Colo/XD, this isn't the case ( I've been frozen under The Sun and have thawed instantly under the rain in both games ).

Is there some empirical evidence that this works on the GBA/DS, or is all of this just another urban legend?
It's possibly just a Colo\XD thing. I tried to freeze a Jirachi with a Serene Grace Manaphy 30 times on the DS. All of them failed.

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
Since I can't find in the substitute post or move descriptions, does Rest work normally behind substitute, i.e. putting the user to sleep?
Yes. It also won't block the confusion from outrage. Logically, self-inflicted status isn't blocked by the sub because YOU are the one inflicting it, so it never even needs to pass the sub.

Use ask a simple question thread for questions like that tbh :)

Well tbh it should perhaps be in the description or http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=498335&highlight=gastro+acid#post498335 giant description tbh.

Also from that same post, and not mentioned as tested unless it's on a future page:

The following moves still need tested for their interaction with Substitute:

Assurance, Embargo, Gastro Acid, Guard Swap, Power Swap, Heart Swap, Heal Block, Mirror Move, Bug Bite, Pluck, Psycho Shift, Worry Seed, Toxic Spikes

Also, the interaction between substitutes and Hooked Spikes needs tested as does the interaction with all of the super-effective berries.
But yes I'm probably a moron. :/

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
This is a bit outdated. I posted way back on the very first research thread that me and footnote found that using Baton Pass while you have a substitute will block the receiver of the sub from being poisoned by toxic spikes. I suppose it's untested if BPing Sub to a poison type will still allow them to absorb the spikes, but my guess is "no".

Perhaps be a bit more specific by 'interaction', too?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Add Chatter to the list of moves that cannot be Sketched.

Speaking of Chatter, I've started looking into possible factors that affect Chatter's confusion rate. Even though we probably won't be able to figure out for certain what the highest possible confusion rate is, we can test out certain factors such as frequency, whether a single note works better than spoken text, etc. But I'll put that off until we've got the bulk of the current research done.

Add Chatter to the list of moves that cannot be Sketched.

Speaking of Chatter, I've started looking into possible factors that affect Chatter's confusion rate. Even though we probably won't be able to figure out for certain what the highest possible confusion rate is, we can test out certain factors such as frequency, whether a single note works better than spoken text, etc. But I'll put that off until we've got the bulk of the current research done.
I do believe i can help with that.

I experimented awhile ago just with the volume of the recording, and from what i can remember, the louder the recording was (up to the point of my speech becoming incomprehensibly loud), the higher the confusion rate was. It was an informal experiment, and i dont have figures, but i can get those tested and up here for scrutiny within a day or so.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
Just for kicks (and for the sake of Competitor's accuracy even in GSC mode), I tested the accuracy of OHKOs in GSC.

After digging around in my boxes, I found only one OHKO user: a L50 shiny Slowking. I also found a perfect-IV L5 Chansey with Substitute. Now, if Metalloid Research's formula was correct for GSC, then Fissure should have an accuracy of about (50 - 5) / 256 + 0.30 = 47%. If Peterko's formula was the correct one for GSC, then the accuracy would be (50 - 5) / 100 + 0.30 = 75%.

As it turns out, 16\20 Fissures hit Chansey successfully, which is 80% accuracy. Now, if I wanted a more surefire way of confirming that Peterko's formula is also used for GSC, I'd have a L70 difference between the two and check for any misses. But since I don't have such a high-level OHKO user available, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Metalloid Research has been wrong all along and Peterko's formula is right.

Next order of business: OHKO moves supposedly do just enough damage to KO the target. What if the target has been Baton Passed a Sub with more HP than its max? Will the Sub be destroyed, or will it survive? We'll find out as soon as I'm done testing!

EDIT for test results:

My suspicions were correct. If you BP a Sub to a Pokemon, and the Sub's remaining HP is greater than that of that Pokemon's max HP, OHKO moves will not destroy the Sub. It will only do as much damage as the Pokemon's max HP.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
EDIT for test results:

My suspicions were correct. If you BP a Sub to a Pokemon, and the Sub's remaining HP is greater than that of that Pokemon's max HP, OHKO moves will not destroy the Sub. It will only do as much damage as the Pokemon's max HP.
Was this GSC or DP?

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Blizzard said:
Hey, this is a stupid point, but I wanted to be sure...

Your theory about OHKO accuracy of (user - target) + 30%: If a OHKO move is used against a higher-level target, even if it's just 1 level, does it ALWAYS fail, or just give 29% accuracy?
LV.65 kyogre sheer cold vs LV.66 gyarados

the formula is not applied if the user´s level is lower

@OmegaDonut and Obi: This is probably applied to all possible cases, for example when I tested the HJK recoil the max damage it derived from was target´s max HP (I could test the same sub-BP and recoil if you want)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)