DP Research Thread #4 ("Newer still")

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Unaware appears to ignore defense drops on the opponent.

Medicham vs Unaware Bibarel of about the same level.

Bibarel used Water Gun, took out between 1/3 and 1/4 of Medicham's health.

Switched to Heatran, and Metal Sounded it to -6 SpD. Between Fog and Detect, and had to use the damn attack 10 times.

Swapped back to Bibarel, Water Gunned, and it did about the same damage as the first time.

Now to find a physical attacker to Featherdance.

EDIT: Unaware also ignores Attack drops on the opponent. Same process used as Metal Sound, just in reverse and with Featherdance.
Thank you Jiggy-Ninja.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The U-Turn glitch has been fixed in Platinum. Chou(Toshio) posted a video on Youtube verifying this.
I'd like to see this video. I've U-turned to a Choice Pokemon with U-turn, and was unable to select any attack other than U-turn. I tested this two days ago.

No matter how much like a human a Pokémon like Mr. Mime or such may be, instead of Flinging the Ball, you get the "But it failed!" message.
I mean, how much BP would Fling have? Or is it that Poké Balls can't be Flung? If so, that means Serebii is wrong, as it says "every item is capable of being thrown"...

I mean, how much BP would Fling have? Or is it that Poké Balls can't be Flung? If so, that means Serebii is wrong, as it says "every item is capable of being thrown"...
I just checked Serebii's Fling power list, and Poke Balls aren't listed in any power, meaning like Lorak stated Poke Balls can't be flung for some reason.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry, I was confused. I thought he was saying that the glitch was fixed on Shoddybattle, not Platinum.

I've done some tests on Shell Bell:
I've tested the moves that I thought there's a chance they might not activate Shell Bell:

Metronome: Activates Shell Bell if an attack move is chosen.
Copy Cat: Activates Shell Bell if an attack move is mimiced.
Mimic: Activates Shell Bell if an attack is mimiced.
Mirror Move: Activates Shell Bell if an attack is mimiced.
Assist: Activates Shell Bell if an attack move is selected.
Counter/Mirror Coat/Metal Burst: Activates Shell Bell.
Focus Punch: Activates Shell Bell.
Revenge: Activates Shell Bell.
Payback: Activates Shell Bell.
Avalanche: Activates Shell Bell.
Fire Spin: The attack itself activates Shell Bell, but the effect of "vortex" each turn does not.
Fly/Dive/Bounce/Dig..etc [did Fly as it pretty much covers all]: Activates Shell Bell.
Seismic Toss/Night Shade: Activates Shell Bell.

Note: I also tested using Electric moves on Motor Drive/Volt Absorb, Shell Bell doesn't activate as the move didn't do damage. It seems every move causing damage (whether with + or - priority or even Counter/Mirror Coat/Metal Bust) except for Doom Desire/Future Sight activates it. If any other move (don't think there is any) should be tested for it, I gladly will.

I've got some questions related to type-changing shenanigans...

As I understand it, when the ability Color Change activates, the Pokemon temporarily loses its Type2 and its Type1 changes, right? I remember asking about this when I was making my damage calculator, and that is how it is handled in the calculator, but I could have been accidentally misled.

Do the moves Camouflage, Conversion, and Conversion2 work the same way?

Finally, a couple of things I need to confirm concerning Roost:
  • Does a mono-Flying type temporarily become typeless?
  • Does a Levitate Pokemon temporarily become vulnerable to Ground attacks? (Our Roost page says no, but Bulbapedia says yes.)
EDIT: Thanks Obi for the Roost info. I wasn't sure where to look for the research posts that confirmed them.

obi

formerly david stone
  • Does a Levitate Pokemon temporarily become vulnerable to Ground attacks? (Our Roost page says no, but Bulbapedia says yes.)
mono-Flying Pokemon become typeless. Everything is neutral on them.

You do not lose Levitate, only your Flying type.

Sorry, can't answer the first section, but I can for this one (or half, while questioning the other).

1) Hm, I don't have access to Arceus or I'd test it. What do you suggest hitting them with once they roost to test it anyways? Every type of move? EDIT: See Obi's post.

2) No, they do not. If you skim through Flygon's analysis, it states that an advantage to Roosting with Flygon is that he doesn't become vulnerable due to levitate. This is also true concerning dig (Flygon is still immune to EQ if using Dig; totally caught me off guard on Colosseum).

EDIT: And Obi beat me to this. Lol. Hopefully the dig info will still be handy. If not, I'll probably just delete this.

obi

formerly david stone
That is (as far as I know) a previously unknown interaction with Dig. If a Flying-type Pokemon uses Dig, does it keep the invulnerability to EQ? My guess is no on this one...

That is (as far as I know) a previously unknown interaction with Dig. If a Flying-type Pokemon uses Dig, does it keep the invulnerability to EQ? My guess is no on this one...
They'll still be immune to EQ. I've witnessed a Digging Ninjask avoid a Quake. Can't remember why I tried, probably to find out. Levitate guys dodge them too, tried on Drake's Flygon in RSE.

They'll still be immune to EQ. I've witnessed a Digging Ninjask avoid a Quake. Can't remember why I tried, probably to find out. Levitate guys dodge them too, tried on Drake's Flygon in RSE.
Yeah, I went to test this personally (just for reassurance)

Code:
Ninjask burrowed its way underground!
Mime Jr. used double slap! (miss)
Bonsly used Rock Throw! (miss)
Torterra used Earthquake!
It doesn't affect Ninjask...
And I'm not going to test Levitate because I know for sure that it works. Tested that on Colosseum at least twice.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I can definitely confirm that Ground-type moves cannot hit Levitating Pokémon using Dig. I thought this was common knowledge, actually. Heck, I believe it worked that way in Advance. I'm not at all surprised that Flying-type Pokémon also avoid Ground-type moves when underground.

Since Sketch from Smeargle CANNOT copy the move Chatter from a Chatot or so I've heard, will Mimic be able to copy Chatter?

Also, will Metronome/Copy Cat/Me First/Mirror Move be able to select Chatter? What about Assist?

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Since Sketch from Smeargle CANNOT copy the move Chatter from a Chatot or so I've heard, will Mimic be able to copy Chatter?

Also, will Metronome/Copy Cat/Me First/Mirror Move be able to select Chatter? What about Assist?
Nothing can call or replicate Chatter, including all the moves you mentioned.

obi

formerly david stone
Because Chatter references Chatot's cry. No other critter has a custom cry.

I've done some tests on Shell Bell:
I've tested the moves that I thought there's a chance they might not activate Shell Bell:

Metronome: Activates Shell Bell if an attack move is chosen.
Copy Cat: Activates Shell Bell if an attack move is mimiced.
Mimic: Activates Shell Bell if an attack is mimiced.
Mirror Move: Activates Shell Bell if an attack is mimiced.
Assist: Activates Shell Bell if an attack move is selected.
Counter/Mirror Coat/Metal Burst: Activates Shell Bell.
Focus Punch: Activates Shell Bell.
Revenge: Activates Shell Bell.
Payback: Activates Shell Bell.
Avalanche: Activates Shell Bell.
Fire Spin: The attack itself activates Shell Bell, but the effect of "vortex" each turn does not.
Fly/Dive/Bounce/Dig..etc [did Fly as it pretty much covers all]: Activates Shell Bell.
Seismic Toss/Night Shade: Activates Shell Bell.

Note: I also tested using Electric moves on Motor Drive/Volt Absorb, Shell Bell doesn't activate as the move didn't do damage. It seems every move causing damage (whether with + or - priority or even Counter/Mirror Coat/Metal Bust) except for Doom Desire/Future Sight activates it. If any other move (don't think there is any) should be tested for it, I gladly will.
Opinions, please? should I do more testing on it/leave it...etc?

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I thought we had a comprehensive list on that sort of thing. It seems that it's pretty obvious taht "moves that do damage activate the item", you're not even testing close cases (Avalanche?) so unless you want to test every move like the WOnder Guard test I don't see why you should spend your time on it.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
------------- switched in Latias (lvl 100 Latias ♀).
Pointed stones dug into Latias.
Latias lost 12% of its health.
Heatran used Fire Blast.
It's not very effective...
Latias lost 29% of its health.
Latias used Mist Ball.
It's not very effective...
Heatran lost 16% of its health.
Heatran's special defence was lowered.
On both Serebii and Smogon, it says that Mist Ball lowers Sp. Atk, whereas on a recent Shoddy Battle it lowered my Heatran's special defence.

I was wondering whether it is Shoddy or Smogon that has a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)