DP Research Thread #4 ("Newer still")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two questions:

1. Does clear body prevent stat loss from Heart Swap?

2. I read that Focus Punch has a -3 Priority and Avalanche has -4. What happens when both are used in the same turn?

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There is nothing special there. You fire off a Focus Punch then get hit by a boosted Avalanche.

[20:41:09] <XXX> I'm battling Set 8 on Stargazer Colosseum
[20:41:11] <XXX> Heatran got frozen
[20:41:14] <XXX> Dialga was out
[20:41:30] <XXX> So I figured that I'd have it use Fire Blast on Heatran to unfreeze it and activate Flash Fire
[20:41:46] <XXX> I used Fire Blast on it
[20:41:51] <XXX> And it unfroze
[20:41:56] <XXX> But Heatran took damage from it
[20:42:02] <XXX> And fainted

Can somebody check if this is true, and if it also works like that in D/P? (Using Fire Blast on frozen flash fire pokemon deals damage?)

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
This was done in a Double Battle. Opponent didn't do anything relavant.

Latios uses Ice Beam
Heatran is Frozen Solid
Opponents attack

I use a Hyper Potion on Heatran
Latios switches to Salamence.
Opponents attack

Salamence uses Fire Blast.
Heatran takes damage and thaws out.
Opponents attack.

I haven't tested other fire attacks so I don't know if this is unique to Fire Blast.

Edit: This works the same way in Emerald.

This was also done in a Double Battle. Opponent didn't do anything relavant.

Latios uses Ice Beam
Flareon is Frozen Solid
Opponents attack

I use a Hyper Potion on Flareon
Latios switches to Gengar.
Opponents attack

Gengar uses Fire Punch.
Flareon takes damage and thaws out.
Opponents attack.

Two questions from me. One is simple and one is not.

1. Can a Pokemon Baton Pass stat boosts from its ability? i.e. can Floatzel pass its Swift Swim boost or can Gliscor pass its Sand Veil?

2. Does Freezing affect moves that receive an effect from going last? Here's the situation I have in mind:

Vaporeon used Ice Beam
Milotic was frozen solid
Milotic thawed out
Milotic used Mirror Coat
now what?
But it failed! or Vaporeon lost x% of its health?

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mirror Coat would work normally (so would Focus Punch, before you ask).

http://www.smogon.com/dp/moves/baton_pass

Electivire can Baton Pass boosts from Motor Drive, for instance, because it raises Speed one stage. Swift Swim won't be passed because it just doubles Speed; it's not a stat boost.

Just something strange I noticed...

I bred an Abra with my Shiny Timid Ditto. I got shiny abra in ~200 eggs
I bred a Rotom with the same Ditto. Got shiny in around ~250 eggs
Bred a Shiny Magnezone with a Shiny Modest Ditto. Got a shiny in about ~20 eggs.

I don't know if there is any way of checking this, but does shiny-ess of the parents affect the children in any way? (I never hatched a shiny from an egg before)

Just something strange I noticed...

I bred an Abra with my Shiny Timid Ditto. I got shiny abra in ~200 eggs
I bred a Rotom with the same Ditto. Got shiny in around ~250 eggs
Bred a Shiny Magnezone with a Shiny Modest Ditto. Got a shiny in about ~20 eggs.

I don't know if there is any way of checking this, but does shiny-ess of the parents affect the children in any way? (I never hatched a shiny from an egg before)
Interesting. I'd heard that Shiny Ditto does not increase the likelyhood of getting a Shiny baby, but 3 Shinies in that short of a time is quite...persuasive.

Anyone that wants to test this, I have a shiny Ditto I can trade someone. It's not that good IV wise, but it is Hasty.

BREAKING NEWS - I was just trading with FishMassacre, and we suddenly got disconnected, and my Grimer got cloned!!! New method of cloning!?

BREAKING NEWS - I was just trading with FishMassacre, and we suddenly got disconnected, and my Grimer got cloned!!! New method of cloning!?
This glitch probably works in the same kind of way the GTS cloning does, and is probably just as unreliable and difficult to do.

On the other hand, this method of cloning does not carry the risk of having your Pokemon stolen before you can clone it.

At what point exactly did the DC happen?

It was just as I was receiving it... It just suddenly disconnected and when I turned it on and returned to trade, both him and I had a copy of the same Grimer. I just remember seeing the Shiny STARLY and - BLUE SCREEN OF DOOM.

It was trying to resume connection, and lost, I think.

It was just as I was receiving it... It just suddenly disconnected and when I turned it on and returned to trade, both him and I had a copy of the same Grimer.
Be more specific. Was the Pokeball dropping from the sky, had Grimer just popped out with the message "Take care of GRIMER" or whatever, was it after all the animation with the "Communicating, please wait...." message?

Read my edit - I just edited it.
So this trade was your Grimer for a Shiny Starly. Just as soon as the Shiny Starly popped out of the Pokeball, you got the Blue Error Screen of Doom and both of you ended up with a cloned Grimer?

If that's true, then what happened to the Starly? Was it cloned to, or was it lost?

It was lost... I have no idea what happened to it, maybe FishMassacre could tell you more? I PM'ed him to come to this thread, but no response so far...

It was lost... I have no idea what happened to it, maybe FishMassacre could tell you more? I PM'ed him to come to this thread, but no response so far...
I thought so. One final question, then I'll see if I can get some people to test this on another board.

Which of you was the "inviter" in this trade?

He invited me.

EDIT - I'm sorry I can't be of more help, my memory's just not too good at these things. It was definitely after STARLY appeared, and before I saw the trade screen again. Maybe FishMassacre could be of more help, once I can get him.

No, this is perfectly fine. You've given enough to get the basics for a test of this to find out exactly how it needs to work.

So far, here are the key points of this event that I've gotten from you.

*During the trading, after the Starly popped out of the Pokeball on Novatek's screen and before the trading screen appeared again, Wifi disconnected.

*After the games rebooted, both Novatek and FishMassacre had a copy of the Grimer. The Shiny Starly was lost (unfortunately) in this trade.

*FishMassacre (the trader of the lost Starly) was the one who did the Invite on the trade. It is possible that the Inviter's Pokemon is lost while the other is cloned, but at the moment this is speculation. Another factor could be the timing of the disconnect.

Anything else you can think of?

Oh my...

This has happened to me with another trader a long time ago. We decided to keep it a secret, I could PM him so I have evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)