DP Research Thread #4 ("Newer still")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
This appeared in a guide in C&C, and it seems dodgey and it was admitted to seem dodgey so it could be best to make sure it's true. It's talking about field abilities and if it's possible to use two at once, and how they remain active even if the Pokemon is KO'd so long as they're first in the party.

"It is possible to have a Synch and a Static-er. The Synch must be first in the party, and KO'd, the Static-er must be second in the party, and alive."

Anyway if this could be tested that would be great.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I did a bunch of tests on effects that restrict move usage (Disable, Encore, Choice Items, etc.) I posted a guide on the subject in the Contributions and Corrections thread. I'm mentioning it here because I believe it falls under the category of research.

Move Restriction Guide

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Foresight does not negate the evasion gained from Lax Incense or Snow Cloak.

I used Foresight on a Breloom holding Lax Incense and manage to miss a Leaf Blade against it.

I put up Hail and missed a Ice Punch against a Foresight'd Froslass.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
Mirror Move Research
For the purposes of Mirror Move, every Pokémon X in battle keeps a short list of attacks that have targeted it. Every time Pokémon Y executes a move that targets Pokémon X, Pokémon X adds that move to the top of the list and notes that Pokémon Y was the one that used it. It doesn't matter if the move misses or fails; if it targeted Pokémon X, it goes on Pokémon X's list. If there is already a move on the list that Pokémon Y used, the older move is removed from the list. Pokémon X only cares about the last move that each other Pokémon on the field used against it. Hence, the list is at most one move long in Single Battles and at most three moves long in Double Battles. Only moves that can be replicated by Mirror Move appear on this list. Moves that cannot be replicated by Mirror Move do not replace existing moves on the list, with few exceptions. If a Pokémon Y leaves play for any reason (switches out, faints, get Roared away, etc.), its move is removed from Pokémon X's list. When a Pokémon uses Mirror Move, it executes the move at the top of its list (the most recently used one). The number of rounds that have passed since the user was targeted with the move does not matter. Replicated moves with a single target will have their target chosen randomly from the available opponents.

Here's an example:
A Pidgeot and a Ninetales face off against a Mr. Mime and a Raichu.

First round action selections:
• Pidgeot selects Tailwind.
• Ninetales selects Confuse Ray and targets its partner, Pidgeot.
• Mr. Mime selects Psychic and targets Ninetales.
• Raichu selects Thunderbolt and targets Pidgeot.

The first round begins.
• Ninetales goes first and confuses the Pidgeot. This gives the Pidgeot a 50% evasion rate due to its ability, Tangled Feet.
• Raichu targets Pidgeot with Thunderbolt, but misses.
• Mr. Mime hits Ninetales with Psychic, doing some damage.
• Pidgeot avoids hitting itself in confusion and uses Tailwind, doubling its and Ninetales' Speed.

Second round action selections:
• Pidgeot selects Mirror Move.
• Ninetales selects Safeguard.
• Mr. Mime selects Psychic and targets Ninetales again.
• Raichu selects Light Screen.

The second round begins.
• Ninetales moves first and puts up a Safeguard.
• Pidgeot goes next (due to Tailwind), avoids confusion, and uses Mirror Move. Pidgeot remembers that Raichu shot a Thunderbolt at it (it doesn't matter that it missed) and Ninetales used Confuse Ray on it (it doesn't consider Safeguard a move that targeted it). Mr. Mime hasn't targeted Pidgeot with anything yet. The Thunderbolt was more recent than the Confuse Ray, so Pidgeot replicates Thunderbolt. The target is chosen randomly and hits the Raichu, doing a small amount of damage.
• Raichu uses Light Screen and puts up a barrier.
• Mr. Mime uses Psychic on Ninetales again, dealing more damage.

Third round action selections:
• Ninetales selects Flamethrower and targets Raichu.
• Mr. Mime selects Psychic and targets Ninetales again.
• Raichu selects Quick Attack and targets Pidgeot.

The third round begins.
• Raichu launches its Quick Attack, landing a small hit on Pidgeot.
• Ninetales hits Raichu with Flamethrower. Critical hit! Raichu is KO'd!
• Pidgeot snaps out of confusion and uses Mirror Move. The last move that targeted it was Raichu's Quick Attack, but Raichu has left the field. All memory of Raichu has been erased from Pidgeot's brain. It only knows that Ninetales has hit it with Confuse Ray and Mr. Mime has done nothing to it. So Pidgeot uses Confuse Ray. Since Mr. Mime is the only opponent available, it becomes the target and is confused by Confuse Ray.
• Mr. Mime avoids smacking itself and finishes Ninetales off with a third Psychic.
• The Tailwind peters out.

We'll say that each trainer only had two Pokémon, so no new Pokémon are brought out.
Fourth round action selections:
• Mr. Mime selects Psychic and targets Pidgeot.

The fourth round begins.
• Mr. Mime hits itself in confusion.
• Pidgeot uses Mirror Move, but the only Pokémon on the field has yet to target it with a move (Mr. Mime could not actually execute its attack). So, Mirror Move fails.

My apologies for the lengthy example, but I hope it illustrates the mechanics well.

Note:
• As a point of clarity, if no Pokémon has targeted the Mirror Move user with a replicable move since the last time it used Mirror Move, it will simply replicate the same move again (assuming the original user of the move has not left the field).
• Moves that miss the Mirror Move user and those that do not affect it (such as a Ground move on a Flying-type user) can still be replicated by Mirror Move.
• If a Pokémon uses Protect or Detect, moves that target the user and are blocked are still stored in the target's memory and can be replicated by Mirror Move.
• If a Pokémon has a Substitute, moves that target the Substitute are still stored in target's memory and can be replicated by Mirror Move.
• Moves that the user's partner targets the user with are replicated by Mirror Move.
• Damaging attacks with multiple targets such as Discharge and Earthquake that include the Mirror Move user as one of the targets are replicated by Mirror Move.
• Rampage moves (like Thrash) and Momentum moves (like Rollout) that target the user of Mirror Move during execution are replicated by Mirror Move. The Mirror Move user will begin its own rampage or momentum normally, with the usual effects.
• For the purposes of Mirror Move, Global Effects such as Rain Dance and Hail do not 'target' any Pokémon and hence are not replicated by Mirror Move.
• For the purposes of Mirror Move, Field Effects such as Light Screen, Safeguard, Spikes, and Stealth Rock do not 'target' any Pokémon and hence are not replicated by Mirror Move.
• Mirror Move cannot replicate any move that bypasses Protect, including Acupressure, Ghost's Curse, Future Sight, Imprison, Role Play, Perish Song, Psych Up, and Transform. These moves are not added to the Mirror Move user's 'memory'.
• Encore interacts strangely with Mirror Move. It seems that Mirror Move cannot be Encored and Encore cannot be called by Mirror Move. The Mirror Move user remembers being targeted by Encore, but Mirror move fails when trying to replicate it, even when other attacks are available in its memory for replication. More on this later...
• The 'memory' of which moves were used against a Pokémon is not Baton Pass-able. Also, if a Pokémon leaves the field via Baton Pass, its moves are still erased from the memory of other Pokémon, even if the receiver of the Baton Pass knows the move(s) in question.
• Even Pokémon that do not have Mirror Move in their moveset keep this 'memory' of which moves have most recently targeted them. If a Pokémon gains Mirror Move through the use of Sketch or Mimic, it remembers moves used against it prior to gaining Mirror Move.

Do normal types always get STAB on hidden power, or for whatever type the HP is- that type gets STAB. Example: Hidden Power is water. Does starmie get STAB or does Blissey get STAB?

Do normal types always get STAB on hidden power, or for whatever type the HP is- that type gets STAB. Example: Hidden Power is water. Does starmie get STAB or does Blissey get STAB?
The pokemon that matches the HP's type will get STAB, so starmie. Normal types never get STAB on hidden power because there is no hidden power normal.

I am sorry if this has been asked before, but... assume that I have a Ditto in play and my opponent has a Marowak. My Ditto just happens to be holding a Thick Club, which doubles the attack stat of Cubone and Marowak if they hold it. Now, my opponent's Marowak is also holding a Thick Club. Let's just say that Marowak's attack stat is 632 (31 attack iv, of a beneficial nature to attack, 252 attack ev, at level one hundred). Part of the reason this is so high is due to the doubling of its attack stat by Thick Club. Now, my Ditto uses Transform and counts as a Marowak. Transform copies stats and stat boosts. Would it count Marowak's doubled attack stat as Ditto's new "base" attack stat? Because if it did, then Ditto, now counting as a Marowak and holding a Thick Club, would get its attack stat doubled. Am I right in this? Would the Ditto's new attack stat be 1264?

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Would it count Marowak's doubled attack stat as Ditto's new "base" attack stat? Because if it did, then Ditto, now counting as a Marowak and holding a Thick Club, would get its attack stat doubled. Am I right in this? Would the Ditto's new attack stat be 1264?
It does not count Marowak's Thick Club as the base Attack (just like it doesn't count the target's Choice Band). Moreover, I'm fairly certain that it doesn't even count Ditto's Thick Club, as Ditto isn't Marowak. I don't have a link to the research because search is down, so I can't verify this claim.

Thanks for the answer, Obi+. I wasn't sure if Ditto, when Transformed into another pokemon "counted" as that pokemon. Well, that's all. Have a good one.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So Porygon-Z has the ability Adaptability and learns Conversion. So, let's say I use Conversion and I'm a Psychic type now. Assuming that I use Psychic, would that double the power of Psychic due to Adaptability?

Sorry if it has been answered before, but I have no real way to test it as of now.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
It does not count Marowak's Thick Club as the base Attack (just like it zoesn't count the target's Choice Band). Moreover, I'm fairly certain that it doesn't even count Ditto's Thick Club, as Ditto isn't Marowak. I don't have a link to the research because search is down, so I can't verify this claim.
It would make sense if Transform changed the user's species. This would explain why Ditto's exclusive hold items stop working after he transforms. To confirm, transforming into Marowak while holding a Thick Club is a good test.

Two questions, the first being:
Say two intimidaters switch in on each other (gyara vs gyara for example), I know that one of them will come into play first and intimidate the opposing pokemon that was already present, and the second gyara then switches in, intimidating the first gyara. What causes that first gyara to switch in first?

Also, I know spikes and sleep powder are illegal on the same roserade set. Do all egg moves have to come from one specific parent? Is it possible to get more than one egg move from a specific parent?

Say two intimidaters switch in on each other (gyara vs gyara for example), I know that one of them will come into play first and intimidate the opposing pokemon that was already present, and the second gyara then switches in, intimidating the first gyara. What causes that first gyara to switch in first?

Also, I know spikes and sleep powder are illegal on the same roserade set. Do all egg moves have to come from one specific parent? Is it possible to get more than one egg move from a specific parent?
This is better for Simple Q&A, but yeah, you can get more than one egg move from a father. The reason you can't get that egg move combination is no father can learn both of those moves to pass on.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
The Speed of the Pokémon switching out determines the order. Faster Pokémon switch out first.

I think I discovered something about Flash Fire.

Today in a battle I had my Heatran frost, then later in the battle, I switched Heatran in to get defrost by Rayquaza's Flamethrower. But instead of just thawing and getting Flash Fire boost, Heatran received the damage it'd take without Flash Fire and got defrost.

Not sure if this was already "discovered", but it's not here:
http://www.smogon.com/dp/abilities/flash_fire

This was done in a Double Battle. Opponent didn't do anything relavant.

Latios uses Ice Beam
Heatran is Frozen Solid
Opponents attack

I use a Hyper Potion on Heatran
Latios switches to Salamence.
Opponents attack

Salamence uses Fire Blast.
Heatran takes damage and thaws out.
Opponents attack.

I haven't tested other fire attacks so I don't know if this is unique to Fire Blast.

Edit: This works the same way in Emerald.

This was also done in a Double Battle. Opponent didn't do anything relavant.

Latios uses Ice Beam
Flareon is Frozen Solid
Opponents attack

I use a Hyper Potion on Flareon
Latios switches to Gengar.
Opponents attack

Gengar uses Fire Punch.
Flareon takes damage and thaws out.
Opponents attack.
Yeah, this was discovered. Very interesting, though.

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus

Second question: Yes. And it is possible. Simplest is male Smeargle for those in its egg group. Well known for passing down multiple Egg Moves.

Another example: My recent Shellder project was a bit of a bother. Starting with a male Blastoise with Rapid Spin, I bred it with a female Kabutops to get a male Kabuto with Rapid Spin. This mated with a female Tentacruel to get a male Tentacruel with Rapid Spin. This was then leveled up to learn Barrier and Screech, then bred with a female Shellder. The Shellder hatched knew Rapid Spin, Screech, and Barrier, all egg moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)