DP Research Thread #4 ("Newer still")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Does anybody know if it is possible to soft reset for a shiny pokemon egg on Pokemon Emerald and/or D/P?
Let's say I save right in front of the day care man, receive the egg, hatch it and it is born shiny, I know that if I SR the gender, nature and ability remains the same but does shininess too?
Has not been tested, because no one wants to SR that many eggs, but since shinyness is based on PID, I'm 99.99% certain that it will always be shiny.

And yes, you can SR for Wurmple evolutions. It is calculated based on PID as well.

I was looking at the item information for Life Orb, and I noticed that it addressed Dragon Rage, Seismic Toss, and Night Shade, but not Beat Up and Super Fang. Does it do the same thing, or is it different?

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I was looking at the item information for Life Orb, and I noticed that it addressed Dragon Rage, Seismic Toss, and Night Shade, but not Beat Up and Super Fang. Does it do the same thing, or is it different?
Tested. Super Fang and Beat Up both cause Life Orb damage to the user. Beat Up only causes damage to the user, not all participants.

Tested. Super Fang and Beat Up both cause Life Orb damage to the user. Beat Up only causes damage to the user, not all participants.
I was more interested in whether or not they would change the power of the moves. I doubt Super Fang would, but what about Beat Up?

Also, does Choice Band affect confusion damage?

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Can someone check what happens when Outrage is chosen by Sleep Talk (check a middle / beginning turn and the last turn)? I've heard a lot of second-hand reports that it just uses Outrage once and you aren't locked in.

Also, does Choice Band affect confusion damage?
Choice Band alters Attack and Confusion damage is based on your Attack stat (and Defense).

When pokemon x uses u-turn to switch out and pokemon y uses pursuit, it will go before u-turn even if pokemon x is faster and pokemon y will take no damage from u-turn. I know this is the case for shoddy, but is it the same ingame?

*Obi: ah thanks that makes sense

btw Outrage locks you in when your using Sleep talk. I tested it on shoddy and when sleep talk picked Outrage, I tried to choose Rest the next turn but I got a message saying "Outrage prohibits this move."

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The Pursuiting Pokemon takes damage from U-turn. If the U-turner dies to Pursuit, then the Pursuiter takes no damage because the U-turner is dead.

i had an odd one in shoddy
clefable switched in over rocks and used protect, protecting itself from the stealth rock damage

When pokemon x uses u-turn to switch out and pokemon y uses pursuit, it will go before u-turn even if pokemon x is faster and pokemon y will take no damage from u-turn. I know this is the case for shoddy, but is it the same ingame?

*Obi: ah thanks that makes sense

btw Outrage locks you in when your using Sleep talk. I tested it on shoddy and when sleep talk picked Outrage, I tried to choose Rest the next turn but I got a message saying "Outrage prohibits this move."
Testing it on shoddy isn't really viable, because not everything on there is accurate. It needs to be tested in the real game.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
Can someone check what happens when Outrage is chosen by Sleep Talk (check a middle / beginning turn and the last turn)? I've heard a lot of second-hand reports that it just uses Outrage once and you aren't locked in.
Tested and confirmed. Just to be clear, I tested using a RestTalking Ursaring with Thrash. When called by Sleep Talk, moves like Thrash allow the player to select an action (including a switch) on the following turn.

EDIT: Tested Anticipation. It warns against OHKO moves known by the foe unless they can't hit the holder of Anticipation. For instance, a Wormadam (Sand Cloak) with Fissure, Tackle, Skill Swap, and Protect that swaps its ability with Bidoof makes Bidoof shudder. If the same Wormadam swaps its ability with a Starly, the Starly won't notice Fissure.

Also, like Intimidate, Anticipation can't be used twice by a Pokémon during the same stint on the field, even if it loses and regains Anticipation through Skill Swap.

obi

formerly david stone
ice ice baby

first DP freeze test ever

two level 100 chansey, serene grace ice beaming each other in an in-game double battle
L = left chansey
R = right chansey, faster

number of turns where the pokémon didn´t attack because of being frozen in 3 battles (zero means defrosted right away)

L1 - 1,4,3,6
L2 - 0,4,3,15,7,0,2,1,0,2,6,4
L3 - 1,6,4,4,1,2,3,11,0,1,1
L = 27 times frozen, 92 turns

R1 - 1,2,5,4,2,0,0,0,0,7,6,3
R2 - 4,5,0,0,0,2,2,1,6
R3 - 4,14,2,3,1,3,9
R = 28 times frozen, 86 turns
Following up on Obi's defrosting graph, I used Graph to perform a regression analysis to find the best value of r assuming that defrosting follows the formula given by X-Act: p = 1 - (1-r)^(n+1)

According to this, the best value of r for this data is 23.190067%.
In other words, the defrost rate is probably somewhere between 20% and 25%, possibly at 60/256 (the GSC defrost rate, according to X-Act).

obi

formerly david stone
Hydration: Does Hydration cure confusion?

Normalize: Does Normalized Will-O-Wisp still boost Flash Fire? If a Normalized Fire move activates the chance to burn, does that activate Flash Fire?

Does Normalize really change the type of the move to Normal, or does it change it to the user's type. If the second, what happens if a dual-typed Pokemon gets Normalize?

Life Orb: Does Life Orb boost confusion damage? Does it cause 10% recoil?

Muscle Band: Does Muscle Band boost confusion damage?

Charge: Someone on Shoddybattle was claiming that in-game, Charge doesn't just boost the Electric attack used on the next turn. His claim was that you can use Charge several times to get a super-powered Electric move. I don't know if he was also saying that the effect of Charge remains after you use this first Electric attack or if it lasts until the user's next Electric attack.

Foresight: Is the evasion nullification a removal of the boosts or just a temporary ignoring? In other words, if a Pokemon is hit by Foresight / Odor Sleuth and uses Double Team a few times, then uses Baton Pass, does the recipient get the boosts of Double Team? This only matters if Foresight / Odor Sleuth are not Baton Passable, which also needs testing I think?

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Confusion damage is not boosted by Life Orb and you do not take an additional 10%.

------------

Edit: Foresight causes standard evade boosts to be ignored.

Double Battle. CPU is a Machop and Meditite that do nothing important as usual.

Vaporeon uses Double Team
Starly uses Foresight on Vaporeon

Vaporeon uses Double Team 4 more times.
Starly doesn't do anything relevant.

Vaporeon Baton Passes to Dusclops
Starly switches to Porygon Z

Porygon Z uses Tri Attack. It doesn't effect Dusclops.
Dusclops does Night Shade on Porygon Z. It doesn't effect Porygon Z.

Porygon Z switches to Exeggutor.
Dusclops uses Destiny Bond.

Exeggutor uses Psychic. It misses.
Dusclops uses Destiny Bond.

Foresight is not Baton Passed. The Evade boosts are and still work. I can't remember if I mentioned this before but Foresight does not bypass boosts from Brightpowder and Sand Veil.

------------

Edit2: Charge only affects your Pokemon's next move. Not next attack, next move. If you use Leer you waste it(unless you really liked that Special Defense boost).

Double Battle. CPU is a Machop and Meditite that do nothing important as usual.
Lv31 Luxray is using Thunderbolt against a Lv50 Dusknoir
Normal damage range is 15-18
Charge damage range is 27-33

Dusknoir is spamming Rest.

Turn 1 Luxray uses Thunderbolt - 18 damage
Turn 2 Luxray uses Charge
Turn 3 Luxray uses Thunderbolt - 31 damage
Turn 4 Luxray uses Thunderbolt - 16 damage

Turn 5 Luxray uses Charge
Turn 6 Luxray uses Leer
Turn 7 Luxray uses Thunderbolt - 18 damage

Started the battle over.

Turn 1 Luxray uses Charge
Turn 2 Luxray uses Charge
Turn 3 Luxray uses Thunderbolt - 33 damage
Turn 4 Luxray uses Thunderbolt - 16 damage

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
I read somewhere that Spider Web's effect doesn't disappear if the user switches out (unlike Mean Look and Block).

Is this true? If so, would this apply if the user dies as well?

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
Normalize: Does Normalized Will-O-Wisp still boost Flash Fire? If a Normalized Fire move activates the chance to burn, does that activate Flash Fire?

Does Normalize really change the type of the move to Normal, or does it change it to the user's type. If the second, what happens if a dual-typed Pokemon gets Normalize?
Normalize makes all moves Normal-type, not user-type. A Normal-type Will-O-Wisp does not activate Flash Fire. As a bonus bit of info, a Normal-type Will-O-Wisp can burn Ghost-types. If a Normalized Will-O-Wisp doesn't activate Flash Fire, I have a hard time picturing a Normalized Fire move's burn effect activating Flash Fire, but I have not tested it. Here is the test I ran:

Normalize Skitty and Gardevoir vs. Pachirisu x2:

Round 1:
Gardevoir uses Skill Swap to take Normalize from Skitty.
Skitty kills off a Pachirisu.

Round 2:
Skitty switches to Banette.
Gardevoir attacks Banette with Psychic. It doesn't affect Banette.

Round 3:
Banette uses Snatch to waste a turn.
Gardevoir uses Will-O-Wisp on Banette. Banette is burned.

Round 4:
Banette switches to Ninetales.
Gardevoir uses Will-O-Wisp on Ninetales. It doesn't activate Flash Fire.

Hydration: Does Hydration cure confusion?
No, Hydration does not cure confusion.

Quick question.

Do choice item's boosts activate Punishment's power bonus? If so, would this be true as well for Life Orb?

I was rifling through some of the "Tactics" text in PBR and was very much shocked to discover that Simple affects your teammate in 2v2. I haven't seen anything about it on either the live site or in previous research threads.

I'm going to assume that it functions normally otherwise-- as in, Bibarel's teammate gets doubled gains from stat changes.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Life Orb does not boost confusion damage or lead to recoil. I played a LO Medicham in Battle Tower, noted "hurt itself in confusion" damage, took off LO and repeated, it took the same damage basically. On the same note, HJK misses don't trigger Life Orb.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Lv97 Bibarel - 284 Atk
Lv100 Swellow - 149 Def

Bibarel has Simple

Double Battle. Opponents are a Meditite and Machop.

I use an X Def on Swellow
Bibarel uses Quick Attack on Swellow
61 damage

1.5x boost damage range: 52-63
2x boost damage range: 40-48

In the English DS game Simple does not affect your ally.

In PBR:

Lv100 Garchomp - 339 Attack
Lv97 Bibarel
Lv100 Bronzong - 364 Def
Lv100 Metagross

Bibarel has Simple

Garchomp and Bibarel are on the same side.

Garchomp uses Swords Dance
Garchomp uses Dragon Claw on Bronzong
110 damage

2x boost damage range: 110-130
3x boost damage range: 165-195

It doesn't seem to affect your ally in PBR either.

I probably should have checked this first, but I didn't see where it says it affects your ally in PBR.

In the Battle Tactics section (in the Free Battle menu), read under Advanced 2v2 tactics. It's in move combinations, under "Simple + Accupressure" where they specifically mention that although Bibarel can't learn Accupressure, Bibarel's teammate still benefits from Simple.

I'd think that we would have noticed this sometime sooner, but why would they mention it if it wasn't true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)