DP Scizor (Uber Trapper)

DP Scizor (Trapper)

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/scizor

Maniac's Scizor set that's been catching on recently on Shoddy. I've been testing this myself for a couple of weeks and it has proven to be extraordinarily useful. I've also seen it being used against me quite alot, so I figured that it's time to update the analysis to reflect this new set.

[SET]
name: Trapper
move 1: Pursuit
move 2: U-Turn
move 3: Roost
move 4: Light Screen / Quick Attack
item: Life Orb / Expert Belt
ability: Technician
nature: Adamant
evs: 176 HP / 100 Atk / 176 SpD / 56 Spe

<p>This set, tailored specifically for the Ubers metagame, combines many of Scizor's new toys gained in the transition from Advance to DP. It homes in on the high amount of physically frail Psychic-types and hits them for super effective with either a STAB U-Turn if they choose to stay in or a boosted Pursuit if they decide to switch out.</p>

<p>The EVs have been placed in Special Defense to lessen the amount of damage Scizor will take when coming in against threats like Latias, Mewtwo and Darkrai. With the reccommended investment and it's fantastic typing, Scizor will be shrugging off Dragon and Dark Pulses from Latias and Darkrai, respectively. It can even survive Mewtwo's Choice Specs boosted Flamethrower in the rain. However if Scizor is being backed by the rain, beware of Thunder coming from either of the Lati twins as both are capable of dealing a 2HKO.</p>

<p>Life Orb helps balance Scizor's offensive and defensive capabilities making up for the sizable investment in his defenses. Alongside the 100 Attack EVs, Scizor's U-Turn has a large chance of OHKOing standard Mewtwo, Latias and Darkrai unless the trio invest a ridiculous amount of EVs in defense. Furthermore, the boost from Technician allows Pursuit to harrass and mindgame an opponent who keeps their Latias or Mewtwo in. Even without the Technician boost a super effective, powered-up Pursuit will almost certainly finish off the aforementioned pair, if they are switching out and are below 80% health. Naturally Pursuit won't be doing too much to Darkrai regardless of whether it stays in or switches out.</p>

<p>Finally the small investment in Speed allows you to outpace and trap Shedinja before it has a chance to burn you with Will-O-Wisp (unless of course, said Shedinja is equipped with a Focus Sash). The choice for Move 4 is debatable, Quick Attack gets a boost from Technician and allows you to finish off any weakened pokemon. Quick Attack, together with Pursuit allows you to take out Deoxys-A without taking a hit if you predict right. On the other hand, Light Screen furthers Scizor's role in supporting the team from special attackers.</p>

<p>Expert Belt is an option as the moves in this set are designed to hit for super effective damage. However this is still quite a significant drain on the power boost you'll receive with Life Orb. Overall Life Orb is more often than not the superior choice, but Expert Belt can be used if you're worried about the stacking residual damage.</p>

<p>This set is also viable in OU, and is quite capable of handling threats like Gengar and Starmie.</p>

---
And an addition to,

OTHER OPTIONS:

<p>Brick Break is another option in the Trapping Set as it allows Scizor to more effectively damage Blissey and Dialga in Ubers, while shattering any Reflects that may have been laid down as protection from Pursuit. However, it is not suggested over any of Scizor's other moves as the coverage is mostly redundant otherwise.</p>

---

I'd also like to enhance and expand on the set comments of the Baton Passer set.

The strategy is to boost Speed or Attack, before passing to another team member. The EVs generate 203 Speed which outruns 270 Speed Choice Scarf Pokémon after one Agility. In a Baton Pass chain, Substitute also becomes viable in slot 4.
My revision,

<p>Scizor's ability to raise either its Defense, Attack or Speed stats by two stages in a single turn makes it a very viable Baton Passer. Combined with its typing and already sturdy defenses, Scizor can easily pass off these boosts to its team mates. The EVs generate 203 Speed outrunning 270 Speed Choice Scarfed Pokémon after one Agility.</p>

<p>Substitute is a viable option if your team is built around Baton Passing as Substitutes can block status as well as any unexpected critical hits. X-Scissor and Iron Head are both, strong STAB attacks but are only reccommended to prevent Scizor from struggling in the event of a Taunt.</p>

I was going to do this but never got a chance. Glad to see you got it up. Anyway...

<p>This set, tailored specifically for the Ubers metagame, combines many of Scizor's new toys in the transition from Advance to DP. It aims to come in on the high amount of physically frail Psychic-types and hit them super effective with either a STAB U-Turn if they're staying in or a Technician boosted Pursuit if they decide to switch out.</p>
<p>The EVs have been placed in Special defense to lessen the amount of damage Scizor will take when coming in against threats like Latias, Mewtwo and Darkrai. With the reccommended investment and it's fantastic typing, Scizor will be shrugging of Dragon Pulses and Dark Pulses from Latias and Darkrai, respectively. He can even survive Mewtwo's Choice Specs boosted Flamethrower in the rain.</p>
<p>Life Orb helps balance Scizor's offensive and defensive capabilities making up for the sizable investment in his defenses. Alongside the 100 Attack EVs, Scizor's U-Turn will easily OHKO standard Mewtwo, Latias and Darkrai. Likewise, the boost from Technician allows Pursuit to almost always OHKO a Latias or Mewtwo as it flees, but obviously it won't be doing too much to a fleeing Darkrai.</p>
<p>Finally the small investment in Speed allows you to outpace and trap Shedinja before it has a chance to burn you with Will-O-Wisp (unless of course, said Shedinja is equipped with a Focus Sash). The choice for Move 4 is debatable. Brick Break allows you to shatter any lingering Reflects layed down by Lugia as well as hitting Blissey and Dialga much harder, while Light Screen furthers Scizor's role in supporting the team from special attackers.</p>
Looks very good though.

Scizor will be shrugging off Dragon and Dark Pulses from Latias and Darkrai, respectively.

Furthermore, the boost from Technician allows Pursuit to almost always OHKO a Latias or Mewtwo as it flees, but obviously won't be doing too much to Darkrai.
likewise doesnt really make sense in this context ?_?

cool set ;D

Also I forgot to say this but you will want to probably add more mention of how Light Screen is what you should always use in Standard OU play as it will allow you to scare away gengar and starmie so you can ohko with pursuit. Brick Break has no purpose there.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Alongside the 100 Attack EVs, Scizor's U-Turn will OHKO standard Mewtwo, Latias and Darkrai unless the trio invest a ridiculous amount of EVs in defense.
vs. 216 Def LO U-Turn does 320-380 damage

So it won't OHKO Mewtwo all the time, since it has 353 HP
He can even survive Mewtwo's Choice Specs boosted Flamethrower in the rain.
Change He to it

Likewise, the boost from Technician allows Pursuit to almost always OHKO a Latias or Mewtwo as it flees, but obviously won't be doing too much to Darkrai.
Technician doesn't power up Pursuit on the switch out.

Maybe a mention of how Thunder from Latias still 2HKOs?

Edited in typoes and small corrections. Thanks Gorm, Kingler and Jibaku.

Made mention of Thunder 2HKOing in the second paragraph.

I wouldn't really say that Light Screen is better in OU play, otherwise you'll be completely walled by Heatran. Also, any suggestions on the revision of the BP Scizor set?

Also when you say Special defense you want to capitilize it to Special Defense.

Anyway to the edit of the BPer...

<p>Scizor's ability to raise increase its Defense, Attack and Speed by two stages in a single turn, combined withit's typing and sturdy defenses, allows Scizor to easily pass off various boosts to other team members. The EVs generate 203 Speed outrunning 270 Speed Choice Scarfed Pokémon after one Agility.</p>
<p>Substitute is a viable option if your team is built around Baton Passing as Substitute can block status as well as any unexpected critical hits. X-Scissor and Iron Head are both, strong STAB attacks and are only there to prevent Scizor from struggling in the event of a Taunt.</p>
That last one was really messed up so I got rid of a lot of confusing stuff you had there.

I haven't used this before, but it is definitely a good set. 1 question though, does 176HP/176SpDef survive anything specific or is there a more efficient spread somewhere? Sorry, the numbers just look at bit random to me.

Nothing too specific, really. The Attack and Speed EVs were done specifically for outspeeding and KOing, with the remainder split equally between SpDef and HP. I could be completely wrong, though...

EDIT: Made a few more minor edits.

Well just some points i would like to add, most of the time Latias' Thunder will not 2hko as hardly ever runs max spatk so i would change Latias to Latios who will always run max spatk and therefore 2hko.

After testing i've found that Brick Break is relatively useless and to be honest i've found that Quick attack is actually the best option for that final slot. Light Screen can remain as a second option.

Expert belt is also an option is you dont like the Life Orb recoil, however it is vastly inferior since you wont get the required ko's but it is still worth mentioning.

Added in Expert Belt and Quick Attack. I'd still like a mention of Brick Break, but I don't want to cram too many things in that fourth moveslot.

Brick break should be a mention in other options for this set but it's not that important, Blissey already takes a ton from U-Turn and Technician Pursuit while Bulk Up Dialga can Stat up on Scizor despite Brick Break. It really doesn't really have much use in Ubers.

Scizor does not have much of a movepool. It can use Reversal, and has the advantage of being immune to Sandstorm, but Lucario is a better choice for that strategy, since it gets STAB. Protect could be useful at times, for Leftovers recovery, and scouting Fire attacks. Light Screen is nice for support purposes, as Scizor draws in a lot of special attackers. Thief / Fling could annoy opponents, but is a rather gimmicky option.

Brick Break is another option in the Trapping Set as it allows Scizor to more effectively damage Blissey and Dialga in Ubers. However, Brick Break is not suggested over any of Scizor's other moves as Bulk Up Dialga, arguably the most common and threatening set laughs at Brick Break anyway.

Occa Berry can allow Scizor to survive a Fire attack.
For other options?

Likewise, the boost from Technician allows Pursuit to almost always OHKO a Latias or Mewtwo as it flees, but obviously won't be doing too much to Darkrai.
This part is false, Technician does not boost Pursuit on the switch since Pursuit's base power is temporarily raised.

Forsety, Jibaku already pointed that out and I think the fixed paragraph works,

Furthermore, the boost from Technician allows Pursuit to harrass and mindgame an opponent who keeps their Latias or Mewtwo in. Even without the Technician boost a super effective, powered-up Pursuit will almost certainly finish off the aforementioned pair, if they are switching out and are below 80% health.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Well just some points i would like to add, most of the time Latias' Thunder will not 2hko as hardly ever runs max spatk so i would change Latias to Latios who will always run max spatk and therefore 2hko.
Umm

307 SA Latias Thunder vs 240 SDef / 325 HP Scizor:
Damage: 165-195 (that's already over 50% at min)

Please mention Latias again

It's been about 48 Hours since the last correction, i'll be putting this up on the SCMS in another hour if there's no complaint or further comment.

Thanks to everyone that helped out! Much appreciated.

EDIT: It's on the SCMS. If someone with a Site Staff badge could cache it, that would be great.

in your baton pass revision..

<p>Scizor's ability to boost either its Defense, Attack or Speed by two stages in a single turn, combined with its typing and already sturdy defenses, allows Scizor to easily pass off various boosts to other team members. The EVs generate 203 Speed outrunning 270 Speed Choice Scarfed Pokémon after one Agility.</p>
boost imo fits better than raise or increase (and certainly makes more sense than BOTH of them heh), and either helps specify that you dont mean all three at once (imagine o_o)

Good catch, Gorm. The SCMS is still down so I won't be able to update the on-site Analysis until it's back up.

EDIT: Ok, I split it into 2 sentences. Better?

actually if you look at the rest of the sentence it sounds clunky.. i didnt realize you used boosts later on, so id actually stick with raise, and just use the boost to get through.

<p>Substitute is a viable option if your team is built around Baton Passing as Substitutes can block status as well as any unexpected critical hits. X-Scissor and Iron Head are both strong STAB attacks but are only reccommended to prevent Scizor from struggling in the event of a Taunt.</p> The comma after both is unecessary. Nitpicky, I know.

<p>The EVs have been placed in Special Defense to lessen the amount of damage Scizor will take when coming in against threats like Latias, Mewtwo, and Darkrai.
More nitpickiness. There's a minor overall issue with commas. I'll just put them all in for reference.

...Scizor's ability to raise either its Defense, Attack, or Speed by two stages in a single turn...

...Alongside the 100 Attack EVs, Scizor's U-Turn will easily OHKO standard Mewtwo, Latias, and Darkrai...

(unless, of course, said Shedinja is...
I hope this isn't overly nitpicky. Just trying to help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)