1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

DP Smeargle

Discussion in 'Locked / Outdated Analyses' started by samtheman, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samtheman

samtheman

[​IMG]
    http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/smeargle

[SET]
    Name: Choice Scarf Anti-Lead
    Move 1: Trick
    Move 2: Spore
    Move 3: Destiny Bond / Explosion
    Move 4: U-Turn / Haze
    Item: Choice Scarf
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
    <p>This Smeargle set surprises most opponents that expect it to be Baton Passing things like Belly Drum, Substitute and Ingrain. This Smeargle is designed to mess up the opponent's team as much as possible, hindering them with Choice Scarf and sleeping them with Spore.</p>

<p>The set is intended to be a lead, to start messing with the foe's team as early as possible. First, Trick your Choice Scarf onto either something slow like Bronzong and then you can attempt to Spore the switch-in. Smeargle should be saved for later to hopefully take out a slower sweeper or tank with Destiny Bond or Explosion. The last slot can be one of many viable options. U-turn scouts out the opponent's sleep absorber and is generally useful for scouting while Haze can also help Smeargle save the team from a Garchomp with too many Swords Dances, Smeargle still has its Scarf.

COMMENTS: Unsure about other options, because let's face it: there are many of them. Smeargle suffers most from four-moveslot syndrome, and things that might be useful include: Taunt, Encore, Stealth Rock, Toxic Spikes, and Memento. Each have their merits, and could fit in either of the last two (or even three) slots.
  2. tape

tape i woke up in a new bugatti
    is a Pre-Contributor

I knew a Smogon set would be fun

For the last bold, the hell?Choice Scarf doesn't raise Attack, why would it affect ExtremeSpeed?It doesn't make sense the other way around, either; it doesn't need speed if it is a priority move.
  3. samtheman

samtheman

I made that more clear. What I meant was that Extremespeed is useful for when you've lost your Choice Scarf. It still has a base 80 power (not counting STAB) so is still a good attack even if you have the Scarf.
  4. tape

tape i woke up in a new bugatti
    is a Pre-Contributor

It won't do any magic, really.20 Base Attack is lame.

Um...the thing needs average~ Defense and extremely low HP to work.

Edit: Also, I think the rules state that you aren't supposed to post anything else but [SET] and [SET COMMENT]
  5. Caelum

Caelum qibz official stalker
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I played around with this set for the last 15 minutes and I found Explosion as an option in the last slot was useful because sometimes I still had my choice scarf attached and I found it useful to get in a quick Explosion. It seems to accomplish the same as Destiny Bond but it helps against something that's in the middle of setting because they could stall out the PP of Destiny bond, particularly on the scarfer, if they don't attack.
  6. umbarsc

umbarsc

Extremespeed really shouldn't be an option unless you're scared to death of Flail/Reversal. 20 Base Attack is doing nothing. I really can't see Haze being altogether helpful either. What I'd prefer is

- Spore
    - Trick
    - U-turn / support
    - Explosion / Destiny Bond
  7. junior

junior heard ur boyf was away this weekend, wanna meet at my place
    is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

You start off a sentence with too many verbs and nouns, making them simply sound bad. Avoid doing so in the future.

Also your references by using 'it' isn't that clear imo, so i changed the end.

Overusing 'attempt' makes it seem like Smeargle can't do its intended job so I changed it in the first paragraph.

Otherwise it seems fine.

On the set itself, I would also recommend Explosion over Haze.
  8. Cooper

Cooper
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Remove the part about Tricking to Weavile. Unless you get it on the switch, Brick Break is going to OHKO you, and no one is going to give you the time to set up when they're expecting Sub passing.
  9. Toothache

Toothache Let the music play!
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I'd be Sporing lead Weavile rather than allowing it to Brick Break me in that case. I can always come back to Trick something later
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)