DP Spinda

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So, going through my word documents I found a Spinda set. Spinda is so crappy so I just had to do this sooner or later since this is actually one of the best options for Spinda after testing. Oh, and btw, for you " I want to be original and use Spinda in OU because I hate the bog standards" douches, then this is the set for you since it's the only one that I used in OU that got me actual kills (limited as they may be).

Alright guys, I'm gonna need some help with this one. The Spinda analysis is just ridiculous (in a good way), but I'm not used to writing that way so it's a bit weird for me to make the set comments match the style that's written already. All help is appreciated! In fact, whoever wrote it originally if you could help out that would be great.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/spinda

[SET]
name: Parafusion
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Body Slam
move 3: Teeter Dance
move 4: Rock Slide
item: Leftovers
ability: Own Tempo
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>So, what exactly does a Pokemon do when their defenses are so horrible that they can't take a hit? They pray they don't get hit, and that's what this set attempts to accomplish. Bring Spinda in on something that it can force out (good luck with that, you'll need it) and set up a Substitute. Putting that ugly face behind a Substitute will surely make your opponent happy since they won't have to look at it, however, they are actually in for a nasty surprise. From there Spinda can use either Teeter Dance or Body Slam. Spinda's Attack is so awful that confusing its opponent is sometimes its best way of damaging them, this is where Teeter Dance comes in. Then, Spinda can use it's paper body to slam the opponent with Body Slam betting on the 30% chance of paralysis. Spinda can then Substitute, if needed, hoping for some parafusion. After the opponent is both paralyzed and confused they will only be able to attack you three-eighths of the time while Spinda is safely behind its Substitute. Spinda can then fire off Rock Slide, which has an additional 30% chance of causing the opponent to flinch. Hopefully, after this process is finished, Spinda will have (miraculously) actually killed something and still remained intact itself.</p>

Hrm, looks interesting, but personally, I would max Speed and use Jolly. Teeter Dancing before getting hit would be nice, and you could also flinch opponents without paralyzing them. When you actually set up a substitute and they don't break it (by being confused) then you could try spamming Body Slam.

And "in tact" is one word.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
You haven't capitalised the "s" in Slide in the movelist.

Seems like a usable set if you're feeling lucky. I think you might have been a little harsh on him in the Set Comments but maybe I'm just being over-sensitive.

"Putting that ugly face behind a Substitute will surely make your opponent happy since they won't have to look at it"

"Spinda's Attack is so awful..."

"Spinda can use it's paper body..."

"Spinda will have (miraculously) actually killed something..."
It gets a little excessive, and it isn't exactly tempting me to use the set, heh. One or two jokes is cool, but if a Spinda ever read those comments, he'd probably cut himself. :(

EDIT:

Disregard that, I just read the Spinda analysis lol. You're flattering Spinda by comparison. :)

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeh, it's an entertaining read but I'd personally like to see the whole thing re-written lol. (The current analysis).

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
spinda is one pokemon I will fight to the death to maintain the current analysis tone. that thing is an abomination of god and it must be treated as such.

Anyway, this is probably spinda's best "option", I support it.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeh, it's an entertaining read but I'd personally like to see the whole thing re-written lol. (The current analysis).
Actually the Spinda analysis is better than most of the current UU analyses. I wouldn't object to someone doing this, but it really isn't a top priority lol.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright made those minor nitpick changes.

And yes, I wouldn't say Spinda is a "top priority" for a re-write lol. Although, the current analysis borders on firebot material it seems alright to me. Spinda isn't exactly going to see a huge surge anytime soon.

Try considering Seismic Toss as another option over Rock Slide, with a gauranteed 100 damage, it is it's best bet at dealing damage, and if the opponent already has less than a 50% at dealing damage to Spinda, it may as well go for the kill.

You could, also replace Own Tempo with Tangled Feet, and give it one of the confuse berries. This way it heals you from 25% - 37% giving you another Substitute, and giving you 50% Evasion (0 Attack IVs, Timid Nature), of course you need to Substitute 3x, but by then you should already have used Teeter Dance, and Body Slam.

You can then proceed to hax some Seismic Toss kills, and the best part is, even if the foe switches, you still have 50% evasion to hax with.

Here is a moveset I just thought up for Spinda, consider it.

[SET]
name: Trickster
move 1: Hypnosis
move 2: Trick Room
move 3: Flail
move 4: Wish
item: Focus Sash
ability: Own Tempo
nature: + Atk, - Spe
evs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 SpD
IVs: 0 Speed

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>If you are slower than the opponent's direct damage attack, you survive with Focus Sash, otherwise if you are faster than your foe (say they are using Shuckle) you save your Focus Sash for next round. Either way you secure a Hypnosis to bring down the first opponent. On their switch you set up Trick Room. If you have already taken damage and are at 1 HP then continue to Flail and hope for a KO, say against Alakazam (or simply Wish if you know it wont kill anything, so you can heal your next teammate as you die). </p>

<p>If you Hypnosised their slower Pokemon before taking any damage (say it was Shuckle), and have set up Trick Room on their switch, (in other words if you still have Focus Sash), then get the hell out and send in your Trick Room sweeper. You can now save Spinda for later and set-up Trick Room again!</p>

I'm hearing a lot of revamping UU analysis's... maybe I should get on that.

And hhjj, you really shouldn't try to "hijack" another peer edit. If you want you could try one on your own.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is probably not that important, but Speed doesn't even need to be mentioned. How I see it working is you get it in on switches, Body Slam. If you paralyze, you Teeter Dance, otherwise run away really fast. Speed never "matters" as you're only really staying in if something is Paralyzed.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
Here is a moveset I just thought up for Spinda, consider it.
So, you haven't tested it? Please test it first and then you can post your own topic. No offense, but nobody wants to consider sets you just thought up. Please, test the set first and then you can post this as your own peer edit.

And I agree Chris, after reconsidering it I'm just going to drop it again since I tested it with speed and it wasn't nearly as useful.

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>So, what exactly does a Pokemon do when their defenses are so horrible that they can't take a hit? They pray they don't get hit, and that's what this set attempts to accomplish. Bring Spinda in on something that it can force out (good luck with thatyou'll need it) and set up a Substitute. Putting that ugly face behind a Substitute will surely make your opponent happy, since they won't have to look at it; however, they are actually in for a nasty surprise. From there Spinda can use either Teeter Dance or Body Slam. Spinda's Attack is so awful that confusing its opponent is sometimes its best way of damaging them; this is where Teeter Dance comes in. Then, Spinda can use its paper body to slam the opponent with Body Slam, betting on the 30% chance of paralysis. Spinda can then Substitute, if needed, hoping for some parafusion. After the opponent is both paralyzed and confused, they will only be able to attack you three-eighths of the time, while Spinda is safely behind its Substitute. Spinda can then fire off Rock Slide, which has an additional 30% chance of causing the opponent to flinch. Hopefully, after this process is finished, Spinda will have (miraculously) actually killed something and still remained intact itself.</p>
Just being nitpicky. Although the set comments are kinda lengthy... Entertaining but with all the derogatory comments about Spinda padding it, it just gets a bit tl;dr.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
read the current analysis, you will see I was just attempting to be consistent with the writing. I'll make the corrections though.

I know that; it's just long, and you did a good job with the consistency. Split in half, though, it really isn't in retrospect: personally I'd place it after 'nasty surprise'.

Try considering Seismic Toss as another option over Rock Slide, with a gauranteed 100 damage, it is it's best bet at dealing damage, and if the opponent already has less than a 50% chance (Parafusion) at dealing damage to Spinda, it may as well go for the kill.

You could, also replace Own Tempo with Tangled Feet, and give it one of the confuse berries. This way it heals you from 25% - 37% giving you another Substitute, and giving you 50% Evasion (0 Attack IVs, Timid Nature), of course you need to Substitute 3x, but by then you should already have used Teeter Dance, and Body Slam.

You can then proceed to hax some Seismic Toss kills, and the best part is, even if the foe switches, you still have 50% evasion to hax with.

I am sorry about not testing and not creating my own topic ( I actually thought it would be worse to create my own seperate thread because it would be redundant not to just add on to this 1).

Also, did anyone care to note my suggestions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)