DP Swalot

Personally, I feel that the Swalot analysis isn't really seprating it from Pokemon like Muk, so I decided to make this Analysis.

[SET]
name: Encorer
move 1: Encore
move 2: Yawn
move 3: Pain Split / Rest
move 4: Ice Beam / Earthquake / Shadow Ball
item: Leftovers
nature: Bold / Impish
evs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>When you think Muk outclasses Swalot, think again. This set abuses Swalot's talents. Encore lets it screw walls like Gliscor and switch into a Flying type. However, if you think they're going to switch instead, you can use Yawn to predict a switch and screw their wall up. Pain Split is a poor recovering move, but it's Swalot's only way of Recovering aside from Rest. Pain Split is very unreliable, so you can use Rest, but Swalot can't really afford to be Sleeping. Note that Swalot works in OU as well.</p>

<p>The last slot is really up to you. In OU, Ice Beam lets Swalot hit Gliscor and other Grounds. Earthquake lets you nail Heatran switches. Hidden Power Fire is an alternative to hit Foretress in OU. Shadow Ball lets you screw Gengar switches. In UU, Ice Beam hits Altaria and Scyther. Earthquake hits Kabutops, the Nidos, and Muk. Shadow Ball lets you hit Rotom hard in the face. Hidden Power Fire is to hit Steels. If you really hate Steelix, you can run Hidden Power Ground to hit it. You can run Hidden Power Electric or ThunderPunch to hit Manitine in UU and Gyarados in OU. Any move that provides coverage for your team will work on this set. </p>

<p>The EVs lets Swalot take as many hits as possible, since it already has sky high HP and dosen't need to have much Attack or Special Attack. If you're using Earthquake, give it an Impish Nature. If you're using Ice Beam or Shadow Ball, use an Bold Nature.</p>

Well Waffles I am going to have to call you out on this one.

While the set is fine, you constanly act like Swalot is OU. Swalot is UU and I think you should write it up as such. Mentioning all high OU pokemon and no UU is confusing and doesnt really tell me what I want to know if I want to use this in UU. I would fix that up a lot (especially in counters ie: mention steelix)

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
When you end a paragraph, your tag is supposed to be </p>, not <p>.

You wouldn't want to use Shock Wave when you have Thunderpunch.

If you're using Earthquake, you need to use an Impish nature, not a Bold nature. Bold is for the special attacking options.

If I were you, I'd have done an entire peer edit on Swalot, since the entire analysis seemed pretty rushed, and there's way too much negative points about Swalot in it.

KD24 - I've used this set in OU, and it's done great every time. It's not that bad if he mentions OU counters, but Wayff, you should probably mention that this set works in OU as well in your analysis.

Perhaps and he could keep the OU counters and stuff but I would rather see what counters this in UU and what it is effective against there.

I've already updated the Swalot analysis (SCMS is down so I can't upload it), but I didn't think of using this set.

I don't see why this set wouldn't work in UU, so you need to mention its applications there (Shadow Ball for Rotom, Earthquake for Muk, Nidos, Ice Beam for Altaria, etc.)

Stop putting Other Options sections in for one set. If there are other options that apply to the set, put them in the set comments.

When you end a paragraph, your tag is supposed to be </p>, not <p>.
Fixed. Going to add UU stuff later, and add the Other Options into Set Comments.

If I were you, I'd have done an entire peer edit on Swalot, since the entire analysis seemed pretty rushed, and there's way too much negative points about Swalot in it.
Sorry Bologo, I was in a rush to go to Ping Pong. I'll do this later.

I don't see why this set wouldn't work in UU, so you need to mention its applications there (Shadow Ball for Rotom, Earthquake for Muk, Nidos, Ice Beam for Altaria, etc.)
Will do this when I'm not so tired and it's not so late.

Edit: Fixed everything, now I'm going to make a whole Peer Edit. Tell me if there are any attacking options that I should remove.

Done a whole peer edit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
[SET]
move 3: Pain Split
move 4: Ice Beam / Shadow Ball / Earthquake
nature: Calm / Careful
evs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>If you think Muk outclasses Swalot, think again. This set requires some prediction to use. Encore lets it screw walls like Gliscor if you think they're going to use a move like Stealth Rock. However, if you think they're going to switch instead, you can use Yawn and screw their switch-in. Pain Split is a poor, unreliable recovery move, but aside from Rest, it's Swalot's only option. Rest is a possibility in this slot, but Swalot can't really afford to be Sleeping.</p>

<p>The last slot is really up to what you want to hit. In OU, Ice Beam hits Gliscor and other Ground; Shadow Ball screws Gengar switch-ins, while Earthquake lets you nail Heatran. In UU, Ice Beam hits Altaria and Scyther. Shadow Ball lets you hit Rotom hard in the face, and Earthquake hits Kabutops, the Nidos, and Muk. Alternatively, Swalot makes good use of Hidden Power in this slot. Hidden Power Fire hits Steels in both environments; Forretress absolutely hates it in OU, and Steelix is seared in UU. Hidden Power Electric or Thunderpunch to hit Gyarados in OU and Mantine in UU. Basically any move that provides coverage for your team will work on this set. </p>

[SET]
name: ResTalk
move 1: Rest
move 2: Sleep Talk
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Shadow Ball / Earthquake

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Since Pain Split is a very unreliable move, Rest + Sleep Talk is viable for Swalot. The ResTalk set is a great status absorber and counters both Jumpluff and Parasect in UU. Rotom, Manectric, and Altaria without Earthquake also do poorly against this set. It is a decent switch-in to Roserade and Gengar in OU. Ice Beam hits Jumpluff and Altaria in UU and Roserade in OU. Shadow Ball hits Rotom and Gengar, while Earthquake nails Manectric. </p>

<p>Swalot needs to take as many hits as possible, so Defense and Special Defense are maxed again. However, if you're using this on a Heavy Stall Team, you can run some Special Attack or Attack, depending on which attacking move you pick.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>In NU (whenever the real tier comes out) Choice Band and Choice Specs are viable options. Shuca Berry can be used to take Ground moves from random Pokemon. Curse can be used on the ResTalk set for survivability and the power to hit hard, but Swalot won't be staying on the field for too long. Body Slam and Toxic are decent options to screw sweepers and walls, respectively. Stockpile works like Cosmic Power and can be used to boost Swalot's relatively average defenses. Counter is a Enter text here.viable option against physical sweepers thanks to Swalot's good HP stat. Giga Drain can be used for Gastrodon, Quagsire, and Swampert.</p>

[EVs]
<p>The provided EVs maximize Swalot's defensive potential. The nature depends on your attacking move(s). If you decide to go with special moves such as Ice Beam, use Calm. On the other hand, if you're using a physical move, you should go with Careful.</p>

[Opinion]

<p>When using Swalot in UU, be sure that Muk doesn't outclass it. Swalot can screw walls over and counter some threats, but a Ground weakness undermines much of Swalot's defensive prowess. Swalot has a good number of choices backed by its excellent movepool. Quite underrated, Swalot has many more options than at first glance it would appear to have.</p>

[Counters]
<p>In OU, Swalot's top counters are Cresselia, Celebi, Mesprit, and other bulky Psychic Pokemon. Garchomp, Gliscor, and Hippowdon do a good job against it provided they don't come in on Ice Beam. Heatran and Tyranitar also work well as long if they avoid Earthquake. Swampert overall counters Swalot quite well.</p>

<p>In UU, Gastrodon and Quagsire do a good job. Scyther can come in on anything but Ice Beam. Kabutops can get in easily and obtain a free Sword Dances if Swalot doesn't have Earthquake. Altaria also does a good job if Swalot doesn't have Ice Beam. Rotom can screw Swalot over with Trick. Aggron, Mawile and Steelix can take repeated Earthquakes and hit back with their own Earthquake, but they don't particularly enjoy supereffective Hidden Powers. Grumpig and Hypno are decent but can't take repeated Shadow Balls</p>

Changes and comments in bold, sorry if I adress something that has already been fixed.
Work on the EVs. I am pretty sure that Swalot has a lot more potential if you give it the right EVs. Blatantly maxing defenses won't work; Swalot has got to do some damage too, even though it is a defensive pokemon. Do calcs, and work on it. The moves seem right though.

Encore lets it screw walls like Gliscor and switch into a Flying type.
This is a weird sentence. Replace it with something more relevant.
However, if you think they're going to switch instead, you can use Yawn to predict a switch and screw their wall up. Pain Split is a poor recovery move, but it's Swalot's only way of recovering aside from Rest. Pain Split is very unreliable, so you can use Rest, but Swalot can't really afford to be Sleeping.</p>
Changes in bold.

Again, work on the EVs. I am sure that you can find the ideal spread for Swalot, and I am also pretty sure this isn't it.
[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Since Pain Split is a very unreliable move, why not use ResTalk? The ResTalk set is a great status absorber and Jumpluff and Parasect counter in UU. Rotom, Manectric, and Altaria without Earthquake do poorly against this set. It counters Roserade and Gengar in OU.</p>
Firstly, I'm not sure wether it's RestTalk or ResTalk, that's up to you, but the latter looks a bit weird to me. Also, does the fact that you counter Parasect really deserve a mention?
<p>Swalot needs to take as many hits as possible, so Defense and Special Defense are maxed again. However, if you're using this on a Heavy Stall Team, you can run some Special Attack or Attack.</p>
As soon as you fix up your EVs, you can probably ommit this, but keep it there for now.
[Other Options]

<p>In NU (whenever the real tier comes out) Choice Band and Choice Specs are viable options. Shuca Berry can be used to take Ground moves from random Pokemon. Curse can be used on the ResTalk set for long survivability and the power to hit hard, but Swalot won't be staying on the field for too long. Toxic and Body Slam are options to screw sweepers and walls. Stockpile works like Cosmic Power and can be used to boost Swalot's Defenses. Counter is an option to hit Physical Sweepers hard. Giga Drain can be used for Gastrodon, Quagsire, and Swampert.</p>
[EVs]

<p>Swalot should be maxing Defense and Special Defense because raising its already godly HP won't help it's Defenses alot. You can always use some Attack if you're using it on a Stall Team though.</p>
Again, fix up the EVs.
[Opinion]

<p>When you're not using Swalot in UU, make sure that Muk dosen't outclass it.
Lol what. Fix this up.
Swalot can screw walls over and counter some threats, but a Ground Weakness is what makes Swalot not so good. Swalot has a good number of choices followed up with a good movepool. Swalot is definetly a viable Pokemon and is quite underrated.
I'm actually not sure how you spell definately. Definitely? Definately? Definetely?
[Counters]

<p>In OU, Swalot's top counters are Cresselia, Celebi, Mespirit, and other bulky Psychic Pokemon. Garchomp, Gliscor, and Hippowdon do a good job against it providing they don't come in on Ice Beam. Heatran and Tyranitar also do a good job as long as they don't come in on Earthquake. Swampert can overall counter Swalot quite well.</p>

<p>In UU, Gastrodon and Quagsire do a good job. Scyther can come in on anything but Ice Beam. Kabutops can get in free Sword Dances if Swalot doesn't have Earthquake. Altaria also does a good job if Swalot doesn't have Ice Beam. Rotom can screw Swalot over with Trick. Aggron, Mawile and Steelix can take repeated Earthquakes and hit back with their own Earthquake. Grumpig and Hypno do a good job but can't take repeated Shadow Balls</p>
The parts I didn't quote are large parts without mistakes. You apparently rushed this peer edit; try to do it better and more slowly next time. The sets you came up with are very nice, but really I'm sure that you can be more creative with the EVs. Just maxing the defenses may work, but I'm sure there are better alternatives. Work on it.

So overall, good edit, but try not to rush it next time.

Just run Swalot through X-Act's Defense Applet and see what it gets you. Those should be your EVs.

anyway, "This set abuses Swalot's talents." should probably be ommited. Every set should abuse a pokemon's talents. Otherwise, why put it up?

Def applet gives 252/144/112 for hp/def/sdef with calm nature.

Of course you can swap the nature and sdef/def evs. This is with no offense EVs, but I would reccomend some.

edited first set. I'll get to ResTalk and other sections in a bit.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>If you think Muk outclasses Swalot, think again. This set requires some prediction to use, but is something Muk can't do. Encore lets it screw walls like Gliscor if you think they're going to use a move like Stealth Rock. However, if you think they're going to switch instead, you can use Yawn and screw their switch-in. Pain Split is a poor, unreliable recovery move, but aside from Rest, it's Swalot's only option. Rest is a possibility in this slot, but Swalot can't really afford to be sleeping.</p>

<p>The last slot is really up to what you want to hit. In OU, Ice Beam hits Gliscor and other Ground; Shadow Ball screws Gengar switch-ins, while Earthquake lets you nail Heatran. In UU, Ice Beam hits Altaria and Scyther. Shadow Ball lets you hit Rotom hard in the face, and Earthquake hits Kabutops, the Nidos, and Muk. Alternatively, Swalot makes good use of Hidden Power in this slot. Hidden Power Fire hits Steels in both environments; Forretress absolutely hates it in OU, and Steelix is seared in UU. Hidden Power Electric or Thunderpunch to hit Gyarados in OU and Mantine in UU. Basically any move that provides coverage for your team will work on this set. </p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Since Pain Split is a very unreliable move, Rest + Sleep Talk is viable for Swalot. The ResTalk set is a great status absorber and counters both Jumpluff and Parasect in UU. Rotom, Manectric, and Altaria without Earthquake also do poorly against this set. It is a decent switch-in to Roserade and Gengar in OU. Ice Beam hits Jumpluff and Altaria in UU and Roserade in OU. Shadow Ball hits Rotom and Gengar, while Earthquake nails Manectric. </p>

[Other Options]
<p>In NU (whenever the real tier comes out) Choice Band and Choice Specs are viable options. Shuca Berry can be used to take Ground moves from random Pokemon. Curse can be used on the ResTalk set for survivability and the power to hit hard, but Swalot won't be staying on the field for too long. Body Slam and Toxic are decent options to screw sweepers and walls, respectively. Stockpile works like Cosmic Power and can be used to boost Swalot's relatively average defenses. Counter is a viable option against physical sweepers thanks to Swalot's good HP stat. Giga Drain can be used for Gastrodon, Quagsire, and Swampert.</p>

[EVs]
<p>The provided EVs maximize Swalot's defensive potential. The nature depends on your attacking move(s). If you decide to go with special moves such as Ice Beam, use Calm. On the other hand, if you're using a physical move, you should go with Careful.
If you're using Swalot on a Heavy Stall Team, you can run some Special Attack or Attack, depending on which attacking move you pick.</p>

[Opinion]
<p>When using Swalot in UU, be sure that Muk doesn't outclass it. Swalot can screw walls over and counter some threats, but a Ground weakness undermines much of Swalot's defensive prowess. Swalot has a good number of choices backed by its excellent movepool. Quite underrated, Swalot has many more options than at first glance it would appear to have.</p>

[Counters]
<p>In OU, Swalot's top counters are Cresselia, Celebi, Mesprit, and other bulky Psychic Pokemon. Garchomp, Gliscor, and Hippowdon do a good job against it provided they don't come in on Ice Beam. Heatran and Tyranitar also work well as long if they avoid Earthquake. Swampert overall counters Swalot quite well.</p>

<p>In UU, Gastrodon and Quagsire do a good job. Scyther can come in on anything but Ice Beam. Kabutops can get in easily and obtain a free Sword Dances if Swalot doesn't have Earthquake. Altaria also does a good job if Swalot doesn't have Ice Beam. Rotom can screw Swalot over with Trick. Aggron, Mawile and Steelix can take repeated Earthquakes and hit back with their own Earthquake, but they don't particularly enjoy supereffective Hidden Powers. Grumpig and Hypno are decent but can't take repeated Shadow Balls</p>
edit: done

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>If you think Muk outclasses Swalot, think again. This set requires some prediction to use. Encore lets it screw walls like Gliscor if you think they're going to use a move like Stealth Rock. However, if you think they're going to switch instead, you can use Yawn and screw their switch-in. Pain Split is a poor, unreliable recovery move, but aside from Rest, it's Swalot's only option. Rest is a possibility in this slot, but Swalot can't really afford to be sleeping.</p>
Made a few minor edits. :p

In the second sentence of the Set Comments, make sure to change the comment about the ev's being maxed since they are not anymore.

<p>When you think Muk outclasses Swalot, think again. This set takes advantage of Swalot's unique talents. Encore lets it screw walls like Gliscor, Encoring their attacks and switching to an appropriate counter. However, if you think they're going to switch instead, you can use Yawn to put their switch-in in a tough position. Pain Split is a poor recovery move, but it's Swalot's only way of recovering aside from Rest. Pain Split is very unreliable, so you can use Rest, but Swalot can't really afford to be Sleeping. Note that Swalot works in OU as well.</p>

<p>The last slot is really up to you. In OU, Ice Beam gives Swalot an effective move to hit Gliscor and other Grounds. Earthquake lets you nail Heatran switches. Hidden Power Fire is an alternative to hit Foretress in OU. Shadow Ball lets you screw Gengar switches. In UU, Ice Beam hits Altaria and Scyther. Earthquake hits Kabutops, Nidoqueen/Nidoking, and Muk. Shadow Ball lets you hit Rotom hard in the face. Hidden Power Fire is to hit Steels. If you really hate Steelix, you can run Hidden Power Ground to hit it. You can run Hidden Power Electric or ThunderPunch to hit Mantine in UU and Gyarados in OU. Any move that provides coverage for your team will work on this set. </p>

<p>The EVs lets Swalot take as many hits as possible, since it already has sky high HP and doesn't need to have much Attack or Special Attack. If you're using Earthquake, give it an Impish Nature. If you're using Ice Beam or Shadow Ball, use an Bold Nature.</p>
My suggestions.

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
This post is for jrrrrrrr's and Aldaron's purposes...

Hold onto this one. This isn't really represented on the site.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>If you think Muk outclasses Swalot, think again. This set requires some prediction to use, but is something Muk can't do, and is also Swalot's best bet in OU. Encore lets it screw walls like Gliscor if you think they're going to use a move like Stealth Rock. It also makes the opponent think twice about raising their stats against Swalot. However, if you think they're going to switch instead, you can use Yawn or an appropriate attack from your final slot and screw their switch-in. Pain Split is a poor, unreliable recovery move, but aside from Rest, it's Swalot's only option.</p>

<p>The last slot is really up to what you want to hit. In OU, Ice Beam hits Gliscor and other Ground-types; Shadow Ball screws Gengar switch-ins, while Earthquake lets you nail Heatran. In UU, Ice Beam hits Altaria and Scyther. Shadow Ball lets you hit Rotom hard in the face, and Earthquake hits Kabutops, the Nidos, and Muk.</p>

<p>The EV spread does not provide absolute maximum defenses for Swalot. However, the reason that this EV spread is preferred is due to Pain Split. With Swalot's high base HP, it is a much better idea to max out both defenses and to leave HP with only 4 EVs to get the most out of Pain Split's recovery. A Special Defense raising nature is preferred to a Defense raising nature because of the Earthquake weakness. Taking Earthquakes is still a very hard job for Swalot even with a +Defense nature, therefore the Special Defense will be of more use.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Since Pain Split is a very unreliable move, Rest + Sleep Talk is viable for Swalot. The Rest-talk set is a great status absorber and counters both Jumpluff and Parasect in UU. Rotom, Manectric, and Altaria without Earthquake also do poorly against this set. It is a decent switch-in to Roserade and Gengar in OU. Ice Beam hits Jumpluff and Altaria in UU and Roserade in OU. Shadow Ball hits Rotom and Gengar, while Earthquake nails Manectric. </p>

<p>The EV spread on this set gives Swalot its maximum defenses, as Pain Split is not used on this set, making HP EVs much more important to ensure Swalot's survival.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>In NU (whenever the real tier comes out) Choice Band and Choice Specs are viable options. Shuca Berry can be used to take Ground moves from random Pokemon. Curse can be used on the ResTalk set for survivability and the power to hit hard, but Swalot won't be staying on the field for too long. Body Slam and Toxic are decent options to screw sweepers and walls, respectively. Stockpile works like Cosmic Power and can be used to boost Swalot's relatively average defenses. Counter is a viable option against physical sweepers thanks to Swalot's good HP stat. Giga Drain can be used for Gastrodon, Quagsire, and Swampert.</p>

<p>On the Encorer's final slot, Hidden Power Fire hits Steels in both environments; Forretress absolutely hates it in OU, and Steelix is seared in UU. Hidden Power Electric or Thunderpunch to hit Gyarados in OU and Mantine in UU. Basically any move that provides coverage for your team will work on this set.</p>

[EVs]
<p>On the Encorer, the EVs don't provide maximum defenses, but allow Pain Split's recovery to be more help than hurt due to Swalot's high base HP.</p>

<p>On the Rest-talk set, the provided EVs maximize Swalot's defensive potential. The nature depends on your attacking move(s). If you decide to go with special moves such as Ice Beam, use Calm. On the other hand, if you're using a physical move, you should go with Careful.</p>

<p>If you're using Swalot on a Heavy Stall Team, you can run some Special Attack or Attack, depending on which attacking move you pick.</p>

[Opinion]

[Counters]
<p>In OU, Swalot's top counters are Cresselia, Celebi, Mesprit, and other bulky Psychic Pokemon. Gliscor and Hippowdon do a good job against it provided they don't come in on Ice Beam. Heatran and Tyranitar also work well as long they avoid Earthquake. Swampert generally counters Swalot quite well.</p>

<p>In UU, Gastrodon and Quagsire do a good job. Scyther can come in on anything but Ice Beam. Kabutops can get in easily and obtain a free Sword Dance if Swalot doesn't have Earthquake. Altaria also does a good job if Swalot doesn't have Ice Beam. Rotom can screw Swalot over with Trick, though that will fail if Swalot has Sticky Hold. Mawile and Steelix can take repeated Earthquakes and hit back with their own Earthquake, but they don't particularly enjoy super effective Hidden Powers. Grumpig and Hypno are decent but can't take repeated Shadow Balls.</p>

Alright, I took darkie's version of this edit and I spruced it up a little with the experience under my belt from using Swalot. I'll load this up soon after listening to any other possible objections.

This isn't horrendously different from darkie's version, but I did explain the initial EV spread and why it's preferred on the first set. I corrected a lot of the grammar and such as well.

I don't know if I was supposed to make an entirely new thread for this, because this hasn't been touched in a pretty long time, but I'm just doing it in this thread anyway for the re-write. Yes, this is the entire peer edit. A lot of the things in the original Swalot analysis were completely inferior sets, and as such, they should not be on the analysis, but they are in the other options.

EDIT: I have added this to the SCMS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)