DP Umbreon .

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm sure those of us who spent some significant period of time laddering remember eventually running across this seriously irritating set. Unprepared teams are completely taken apart by this thing, it is vicious.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/umbreon

[SET]
name: Curse Umbreon
move 1: Curse
move 2: Payback
move 3: Wish
move 4: Protect / Taunt / Yawn / Baton Pass
item: Leftovers
nature: Sassy
evs: 252 HP / 200 Atk / 56 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Umbreon's high Special Defense makes it a natural candidate for Curse. Curse's Speed drop allows Payback to have 100 BP most of the time, and the Attack boost raises Payback's damage. Wish is used for healing and team support.</p>

<p>The last slot depends on what Umbreon has to do specifically. If healing itself must be guaranteed, run Protect. If Pokemon like Skarmory or Hippowdon are Whirlwinding / Roaring Umbreon away, run Taunt. Yawn is an option if Umbreon finds itself inviting Pokemon like Lucario and Tyranitar in to set up.</p>

<p>The HP and Special Defense EVs are designed to make sure that Choice Specs Salamence will never 2HKO Umbreon with Draco Meteor. The rest of the EVs are transferred to Attack, both to maximize damage potential as much as possible and because Curse is increasing Umbreon's defense anyway.</p>

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm thinking Baton Pass could also be an option in the last slot. Umbreon is going to run into a lot of stuff that it can't really do anything to. Baton Pass gives you the option of passing off those curses to something that can actually put a dent in your opponent's team (or to a pokemon with white herb which i've actually seen done in advance before heh).

<p>Umbreon has high Special Defense, which makes it a natural candidate to use Curse. Payback, while normally a 50 BP move, is almost always 100 BP thanks to Curse dropping Umbreon's Speed and allowing Payback to go last, while simultaneously raising Umbreon's own Attack to even further boost Payback. Wish is given both for team support and to allow Umbreon to heal itself.</p>
It seems a bit... awkward? I don't know how to explain it.

Umbreon's high Special Defense makes it a natural candidate for Curse. The Speed drop given by Curse allows Payback to have 100 BP most of the time, and the Attack boost raises Payback's damage. Wish is used for healing and team support.

...*smacks self*

...Also, what Jabba said. Baton Passed Curses could really be hell for the opponent.

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
[SET]
name: Curse Umbreon
move 1: Curse
move 2: Payback
move 3: Wish
move 4: Protect / Taunt / Yawn / Baton Pass
item: Leftovers
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 200 Atk / 56 SpD
Baton Passing is what Umbreon does best and shouldn't be overlooked!

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Umbreon has high Special Defense, which makes it a natural candidate to use Curse. Payback, while normally a 50 BP move, is almost always 100 BP thanks to Curse dropping Umbreon's Speed and allowing Payback to go last. Curse also simultaneously raising Umbreon's own Attack to even further boost Payback. Wish is given both for team support and to allow Umbreon to heal itself.</p>
Probably sounds awkward due to the usage of while twice in one sentence.

Surprisingly, I see this more on wifi then i do on Shoddy. Maybe because of the Disfuntion Vs Marriland battle.

Shouldn't this thing run a 0 speed IV by any chance? You want to get hit first anyway so I guess it might be helpful.

I love Umbreon, and have tried many different sets with it, but not extensively.

This one seems like one of the best, if only Umbreon's defenses were up to par like a lot of other wall pokemon...

I'm not sure the 0 speed IVs is necessary because the things that it'll want to attack with Payback like Azelf and Gengar will be faster for sure, and with Curse lowering its speed, it may not be necessary. I am just saying this so that some people don't spend a ton of time achieving the 0 speed IVs.

I can see this set going hand and hand with the P-Sweeping Breloom, if Baton Pass is chosen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)