DP Wormadam-S

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Another edit, note that Earthquake is not learned by Wormadam-S, it's a Shoddy error.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/wormadam-s

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Toxic
move 3: Protect
move 4: Gyro Ball
item: Leftovers
nature: Sassy / Relaxed
evs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Wormadam-S can make a decent support Pokémon with good defenses and access to moves like Stealth Rock and Toxic. Your main strategy with Wormadam-S is to just set up Stealth Rock as soon as possible, as there's not much else she can do. Then you'll be using Wormadam-S' Anticipation to scout for super effective Fire-type attacks and make sure it's safe to start infecting opponents with Toxic. Protect helps to stall with Toxic, as well as helping you determine if an opponent could be running Hidden Power Fire, as Anticipation will not inform you of super effective Hidden Powers. Gyro Ball is the attacking move of choice thanks to Wormadam-S' low Speed and STAB, though it leaves you stranded against opposing Steel-types. For this reason, Hidden Power Ground is a good alternative. You should switch your nature to Careful or Impish and use a higher Speed IV if you choose Hidden Power Ground, as there are a handful of things Wormadam-S can out-speed in the lower tiers.</p>

[SET]
name: Metal Sound
move 1: Metal Sound
move 2: Flash Cannon
move 3: Psychic / Shadow Ball
move 4: Hidden Power Fighting
item: Leftovers
nature: Modest
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Wormadam-S’ Special Attack is rather poor, but with a Modest nature, max EVs and Metal Sound, you’ll have a good chance at doing some damage. Metal Sound will lower the opponents Special Defense two stages, allowing you to strike hard with whichever attack you think is best for the situation. Flash Cannon is your STAB attack, with a 10% chance to lower the opponents Special Defense even more so. Psychic has a 10% chance to lower the opponents Special Defense one stage, and Shadow Ball has a 20% chance to do the same. Psychic does have the edge in terms of power, but Shadow Ball has the greater coverage with Hidden Power Fighting, which is your best bet at handling Steel-types.</p>

<p>It’s advised you use this set in tandem with Stealth Rock, Spikes or Toxic Spikes, as lowering your opponent’s stats is bound to force switches.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Mirror Shot is an alternative special attack to use; although it has lower accuracy and less power than Flash Cannon it can lower the opponent’s accuracy if you’d prefer that secondary effect. Various Hidden Powers can work, such as Ground, Fire, Grass, Electric, or Ice, if there’s a different threat that worries you. Wormadam-S’ other support moves are Safeguard to protect your team from status, or Rain Dance and Sunny Day if you’re running a weather team. Rain Dance is more advisable as you can weaken Fire-type attacks. Secret Power is another move that can be used for its secondary effects, while still dealing damage at the same time.</p>

<p>While it seems gimmicky, Skill Swap is a viable move on the Support set. In UU play it allows Wormadam-S to rid Swellow of its Attack boost from Guts and force a switch. It can disarm Technician Pokémon such as Persian of their ability and severely weaken their offensive capabilities. Skill Swap can also help fend off threats like Flareon if you manage to steal Flash Fire on the switch-in, ridding yourself of any weaknesses. </p>

[EVs]
<p>Always max HP first, no matter what set you’re using. It’s usually best to split your defenses pretty evenly, but you can just dump all 252 EVs into one defensive stat if you only need to cover that side of the defensive spectrum. If you’re using Gyro Ball you’ll want a nature that reduces Speed, but otherwise you’ll just want to lower the attacking stat you’re not using on a defensive set. It can also be a good idea to invest some EVs into Attack, if you feel you can do damage to some common switch-ins. The Metal Sound set will warrant a Modest nature and max EVs to do damage. </p>

[Opinion]
<p>Wormadam-S is a bad Pokémon, her move-pool isn’t great and the majority of the time she can’t really use the moves she has to their full effect. Your best bet is to use her to set up Stealth Rock and hope to infect a few of your opponent's Pokémon with Toxic. Anticipation can help scout for moves such as Explosion to make them easier to avoid, but it’s not like Wormadam-S is the only Pokémon to have that ability. Having just one weakness is always a good thing, but only use Wormadam-S in the lower tiers.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Wormadam-S only has one weakness, but that weakness is an x4 weakness to Fire, so prey on that if possible. The only problem is that Wormadam-S is unlikely to stay in as she could well be alerted to super effective attacks. Flareon resists Steel-type attacks and has the Special Defense to deal with Wormadam-S’ special attacking set. It will then be able to KO with STAB Fire-type attacks, although Flareon won’t like Toxic too much, especially if it has to switch into Stealth Rock first. Most other Fire-types such as Magcargo and Torkoal should find dealing with Wormadam-S quite easy. Aggron, Bastiodon and Probopass are all slow (which will make Gyro Ball weaker), have high Defense, and are immune to Toxic. However, they’ll have to be careful when facing the Metal Sound set as Hidden Power Fighting will hurt, especially with their Special Defense lowered. Exploud is quite bulky and often carries Fire Blast, so can deal with Wormadam-S; Exploud also has Soundproof so is immune to Metal Sound’s effects. The majority of the time, Wormadam-S is unlikely to be able to recover her HP (other than through Leftovers) as Rest is her only option. So striking with strong neutral attacks will usually whittle away her low HP rather quickly. As long as your counter is not incredibly frail, doesn’t mind being poisoned and has a strong neutral or super effective attack, you won’t find disposing of Wormadam-S very hard.</p>

<p>Wormadam-S can make a decent support Pokémon, with good defenses and access to moves like Stealth Rock and Toxic
Comma unnecessary IMO.

Then you'll be using Wormadam-S' Anticipation to scout for super-effective Fire-type attacks, to make sure it's safe to start infecting opponents with Toxic
Replace ", to" with "and"

but Shadow Ball has the greater coverage with Hidden Power Fighting. Hidden Power Fighting is your weapon of choice to deal with opposing Steel-types.
but Shadow Ball has the greater coverage with Hidden Power Fighting, which is your best bet at handling Steel-types.

you're probably not going to use Wormadam-S; it's sister, Wormadam, does the Choice Specs set a lot better anyway
Again with the it's.

You're probably not going to use wormadam-s as grass wormadam does it much better.

Also skill swap is viable as a other option IMO. Anticipation is crap and only works at the switch in anyway. It can rob Persian of technician, swellow of guts, etc.

Havak

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Added, but not too sure on Skill Swap just yet. I'll probably add it but I'll do it when I can think of something to write...

While it seems gimmicky, Skill Swap, is a viable move on the wall set. In UU play it allows Wormadam to rid Swellow of its guts boost and force a switch. It can also disarm Technician pokemon such as Persian of their ability and severely weaken their offencive capabilities. You could also get lucky if you steal an ability such as Static. This is also Wormadam-S' best method of P-hazing.

Havak

Okay, cool. I'll edit it a little bit though.

While it seems gimmicky, Skill Swap is a viable move on the Support set. In UU play it allows Wormadam to rid Swellow of its Attack boost from Guts and force a switch. It can also disarm Technician Pokémon such as Persian of their ability and severely weaken their offensive capabilities. Skill Swap can also help fend off threats like Flareon if you manage to steal Flash Fire on the switch-in, ridding yourself of any weaknesses.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Aggron, Bastiodon, and Probopass don't resist Gyro Ball.

Steelix is pretty much the best counter in existence since his Special Attack is so crap.

While it seems gimmicky, Skill Swap is a viable move on the Support set. In UU play it allows Wormadam to rid Swellow of its Attack boost from Guts and force a switch. It can also disarm Technician Pokémon such as Persian of their ability and severely weaken their offensive capabilities. It can also help fend off threats like Flareon if you manage to steal Flash Fire, ridding yourself of any weaknesses.

Sort that bit out xD

Havak

Lol what was I thinking, nice catch.

Also fixed that 'Nana, better now?

Movepool isn't hyphenated iirc? e_e

Wormadam-S is poor, her move-pool isn’t great and the majority of the time
should be

'Wormadam-S is poor [better adjective here? It makes me think financially poor >>;], her movepool isn’t great, and, the majority of the time, rest goes here'

Wormadam-S only has one weakness; but that weakness is an x4 weakness to Fire, so prey on that if possible.
No semi-colon neeeded as the 'but' that makes a dependent clause

Your best bet is to use her to set-up Stealth Rock and hope to infect a few of your opponents Pokémon with Toxic.
No hyphen in 'set up', and apostrophe in 'opponent's'.

Also, thanks for implementing those changes I posted with Phione and Arceus... XD;

Gyro Ball is the attacking move of choice thanks to Wormadam-S' low Speed and STAB, though it leaves you stranded against opposing Steel-types. For this reason, Hidden Power Ground is a good alternative. You should switch your nature to Careful or Impish and use a higher Speed IV if you choose Hidden Power Ground, as there are a handful of things Wormadam-S can outspeed in the lower tiers.
Mirror Shot is an alternative special attack to use; although it has lower accuracy and less power than Flash Cannon but[/u it can lower the opponent’s accuracy if you’d prefer that secondary effect. Various Hidden Powers can work, such as Ground, Fire, Grass, Electric, or Ice, if there’s a different threat that worries you. Wormadam-S’ other support moves are: Safeguard to protect your team from status, or Rain Dance and Sunny Day if you’re running a weather team. Rain Dance is more advisable as you can weaken Fire-type attacks.

underline = strikethrough 8D;

Havak

I know that Smogon hasn't been using the hyphen most of the time in "super-effective", "out-speed" or "move-pool" but I'm pretty adamant that they should be. I'll wait for someone of higher authority to tell me otherwise.

Thanks for the other changes, though.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Protect seems like a massive filler move on the first set so I was wondering if you had considered suggesting Rest in the Set Comment and pairing it alongside an Aromatherapist?

Havak

I'm just going to leave Rest in Other Options, as Wormadam-S is often enough of a set-up fodder without being unable to attack.

I'll add Secret Power to Other Options though, I actually meant to do that after suggesting it to Twash_Man for Wormadam-G, but I forgot.

Any other opinions on this? If not I'll probably upload tonight.

Havak

Okay, uploading this to the SCMS now. It can be moved to Peer Edit Archive once cached.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)