Tournament DPL 3 Semifinals

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion

>>Game Schedule<<
>>Spreadsheet<<
>>Information Megathread<<

#2: Santalune Storms (3) vs #3: Mossdeep City Space Jams (3)
SM Doubles OU
Hashtag (2-1) vs DaWoblefet (2-2)
Cease Tick (1-3) vs Demantoid (4-1)
Tman (1-1) vs Nido-Rus (2-2)
XY Doubles OU
kamikaze (3-2) vs Matt (3-1)
Jhon (5-0) vs Misaki~ (1-0)
BW Doubles OU
AuraRayquaza (2-2) vs Pocket (2-3)

Deadline is exactly one week from now: May 21, 11:59pm EDT
A few quick notes/reminders:
  • Follow Smogon's Tournament rules (no ghosting, no leaking teams/sets in chat, etc)
  • All games are Best of 1
  • Post all replays for the benefit of Usage Stats and Replays
  • I will grant activity wins or extensions if I have to, but I don't want to be put in that situation
  • Substitutions are allowed, be sure to let the opposing player and manager know ASAP if one needs to happen. If both managers agree to switching matchups around in the same tier to accommodate timezone issues that is fine, but send me a PM on Smogon including both managers so that I know it's legit
~~~

Congratulations to the two above teams and to Rustboro Baptist Church, who have advanced directly to the finals next week! Everyone please fill in your times in the Game Schedule, we're officially in playoffs so get excited!

Last edited:

kaori

Fully Automated Gay Space Communism
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hashtag (2-1) vs DaWoblefet (2-2) Dawoblefet is a lot better than his record shows and Hashtag will probably be distracted by League anyway
Cease Tick (1-3) vs Demantoid (4-1) Demantoid's TTar goes Good Pokemon™ Mode again
Tman (1-1) vs Nido-Rus (2-2) Tommy is my lover, expecting at least 4 ducks out of him

kamikaze (3-2) vs Matt (3-1) After one failed attempt with Tyrantrum BLUE SUN comes out and doesnt miss Head Smash
Jhon (5-0) vs Misaki~ (1-0) Both good friends and I'm super excited for this one, expecting cool teams on both sides

AuraRayquaza (2-2) vs Pocket (2-3) Pocket's inevitable Safeguard Cress finally does something of value when Auraray tries to bring mono Swagger

Side note, make sure to fill out the Scheduling sheet since I want to stream as many of these games as possible

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
tfw you're trying to get into doing game commentary but you have to pass up a good opportunity to do so because you're going to be hella biased

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Hashtag (2-1) vs DaWoblefet (2-2) Odd team choices from both, but I think I'll go with Woblefet on this one
Cease Tick (1-3) vs Demantoid (4-1) Is honestly pretty great in SM, while c stick has been a little shaky this DPL
Tman (1-1) vs Nido-Rus (2-2) Actually builds in this tier, but double the w-l should equate to double the skill too right?

kamikaze (3-2) vs Matt (3-1) kami has been tearing it up since he got benched in SPL, but I'm still pretty excited for this game. Should be close
Jhon (5-0) vs Misaki~ (1-0) Wait what

AuraRayquaza (2-2) vs Pocket (2-3) Going with my gut from what I've seen from both, but should be a good one

GL both teams

Hashtag (2-1) vs DaWoblefet (2-2) Hashtags teams gave been pretty innovative and cool while dawoblefet has been decidedly average this tour.

Cease Tick (1-3) vs Demantoid (4-1) Demantoid is one of the tiers more consistent players over the last several months while I've seen little sustained success from cstick aside from taking wins from people who dont use ferrothorn checks.

Tman (1-1) vs Nido-Rus (2-2) I've talked my fair share of shit about nido and how he's stayed FAR ahead of the curve but I think he's calmed down enough to bring something sort of consistent while tman's mastery of secondary effects may prove too much should nido bring cherrim.

kamikaze (3-2) vs Matt (3-1) kami brought straight fire vs me and he's had a good season. Matt's teams and play regularly confuse me however I think kami's prep work should be a good countermeasure to matt's style.

Jhon (5-0) vs Misaki~ (1-0) still unfamiliar with both players but Jhon had sustained success with cookie cutter XY teams so he's doing something right.

AuraRayquaza (2-2) vs Pocket (2-3) Pocket caught the short end of the stick last week in BW and I think he's def good enough to win. As much of a coinflip as we'll get this week imo.

Predicting either team to be sacrificed to the church next week

kamikaze

The King Of Games
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hashtag (2-1) vs DaWoblefet (2-2) Dawoblefet is a lot better than his record shows and Hashtag will probably be distracted by League anyway
Cease Tick (1-3) vs Demantoid (4-1) Demantoid's TTar goes Good Pokemon™ Mode again
Tman (1-1) vs Nido-Rus (2-2) Tommy is my lover, expecting at least 4 ducks out of him

kamikaze (3-2) vs Matt (3-1) After one failed attempt with Tyrantrum BLUE SUN comes out and doesnt miss Head Smash
Jhon (5-0) vs Misaki~ (1-0) Both good friends and I'm super excited for this one, expecting cool teams on both sides

AuraRayquaza (2-2) vs Pocket (2-3) Pocket's inevitable Safeguard Cress finally does something of value when Auraray tries to bring mono Swagger

Side note, make sure to fill out the Scheduling sheet since I want to stream as many of these games as possible
how

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
TIEBREAKER HYPE

As precedent shows, Tiebreakers will be determined by a best of 3 series where each team selects a tier and the third tier is the current gen DOU. Storms picked XY and Jams picked SM, so the lineups will be as follows:

SM DOU: Demantoid vs kamikaze
SM DOU: Pocket vs Tman
XY DOU: Misaki~ vs Jhon

Deadline is Wednesday, May 24 at 11:59pm EST! Extensions will be granted if absolutely necessary. I've added a section on scheduling doc for the tiebreaker, so please use it! I'm sure everyone will want to watch these battles.

Last edited:

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
SM DOU: Demantoid vs kamikaze
SM DOU: Pocket vs Tman
XY DOU: Misaki~ vs Jhon

looks lit and packet in a sm tie break sounds fun

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
With the Space Jams' season coming to an end, I'd like to thank my team and my opponents for the opportunity to play exciting games. 3-2 isn't stellar, but I'm glad I was able to get wins here and there. Special shoutouts:
  • shaian: you've been an excellent coach and a great player to talk with. You gave me a lot of respect despite being a player still relatively inexperienced in DOU, and our talks about how VGC and DOU can intertwine have been valuable. Thanks for being gracious when I asked for time off.
  • Stratos: without your willingness to play games and offer teambuilding advice, I would have been benched very quickly. You're not afraid to say what's on your mind and point out what's wrong with my play or my teams, and your belligerent attitude keeps me in check. You're an awesome guy and a valued teammate; thank you for your extremely hard work with the Space Jams, you've been a positive impact.
  • Pocket: I think I talked the most with you out of most of our teammates, and I definitely learned a lot from it. You were super willing to get games or help me work through initial team ideas, and I'm going to be sure to catch your replays of tournaments you continue to play in. Keep playing well!
  • All of the Jams: if I list you off individually, it'd be an injustice to the team as a whole. I don't think we had a single "bad" player on our team (except for coach ofc), and we should be proud of third. I haven't had a negative experience with anyone on the team, and it's been great to get to know the people behind the usernames a little more.
  • talkingtree: VGC's NPA commissioners could learn a lot from you. I'm so used to not having updated spreadsheets, shifting through threads because games are hard to find, and waiting several days to see even just player vs. player pairings, but none of that happened with you. Props to your promptness.
As an aside, I've become super addicted to mons-Space Jam mashups now, and I don't regret it one bit.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)