DPP Metagross [4N] - Rest Talk+

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/metagross

After testing this set out, I can say it brings an element of surprise and can actually deal with some of the dangerous threats in OU due to its bulky and incredible attack. The EV's may need some tweaking and I'm not sure the proper order of the DMG calculations, so I will take some advices.

[SET]
name: Sleep Talk
move 1: Meteor Mash
move 2: Earthquake / Ice Punch / Thunder Punch
move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk
item: Leftovers
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 165 Def / 65 SpD / 12 Speed

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Metagross has an outstanding base 130 Def and this "Iron Leg Pokemon" can easily manage attacks thrown at it with its handy resistances to Ice, Rock and Dragon and kick off the opposition with its base 135 Atk. On top of that, this set gives Metagross a recovery move, which Metagross totally lacks. Furthermore, it has access to the ability Clear Body so Intimidate users such as Salamence and Gyarados are futile. This set has its advantages over some rest talkers and it can combat with the other threats in OU.</p>

<p>This set has its disadvantages because you are limit to two attacking options in exchange for a recovery move. Meteor Mash is your obligatory STAB move which allows you to battle with Tyranitar, Salamence, Weavile, Mamoswine and Aerodactly respectively. The second slot is always a difficult choice which gives Metagross a better type coverage. Earthquake allows you to hit opposing Steel-types and hit Water-types (except for Gyarados) for neutral damage. Ice Punch lets you brawl with Gliscor and Salamence easier while Thunder Punch allows you to hit bulky waters and combat with Gyarados relatively easier. The third slot gives Metagross the healing move it desires and helps you replenish health from previous beatings. Sleep Talk is the magic of this set because this beast can fire off attacks with a Base 135 Atk while its asleep. Explosion is another option in the second slot, but it defeats the purpose of this set.</p>

<p>The EV spread may look complicating but its purpose it to handle hits thrown at it from the opponent. Sporting at 370 Defense, Metagross can cushion attacks thrown at it and can manage to come in on the common attacks such as Outrage from Salamence and Stone Edge from Tyranitar. 65 SpD gives it bulk from the special side to manage attacks thrown at it. The 12 EV's allow you to outspeed 80 Speed EV Tyranitar, scoring a OHKO with Meteor Mash before it hits you. The 16 remaining EV's are dumped into Attack to give Metagross extra power. To demonstrate the bulk of this set here are some calculations:</p>

<ul class="damage_calculation">
<li>24 SpA Naughty Salamence + Life Orb Fire Blast vs 252 HP / 65 SpD = 70.88% - 83.52% (2HKO)</li>
<li>232 Atk Naughty Salamence + 1 Dragon Dance + Life Orb Earthquake vs 252 HP / 165 Def = 83.52% - 98.35%</li>
<li>232 Atk Naughty Salamence + 1 Dragon Dance + Life Orb Outrage vs 252 HP / 165 Def = 37.09% - 43.96% (Clean 3HKO)
<li>252 Atk Adamant Lucario + 1 Swords Dance + Life Orb Close Combat vs 252 / 165 Def = 86.81% - 102.47% (15.38% of OHKO</li>
<li>252 Atk Adamant Tyranitar + Choice Band Stone Edge vs 252 HP / 165 Def = 37.91% - 44.51%</li>
<li>252 Atk Tyranitar + Choice Band Crunch vs 252 HP / 165 Def = 50.55% - 59.62% (80.67% of 2HKO w/ Leftovers)</li>
<li>0 Atk Jolly Gliscor Earthquake vs 252 HP / 165 Def = 37.91% - 45.05%</li>
<li>252 Atk Adamant Gyarados + Life Orb Waterfall vs 252 HP / 165 Def = 47.80% - 56.32% (25.44% chance of 2HKO w/ Leftovers)</li>
<li>252 Atk Adamant Gyarados + Life Orb Earthquake vs 252 Hp / 165 Def = 79.67% - 93.96% (2HKO)</li>
<li>252 SpA Naive Magnezone Thunderbolt vs 252 HP / 65 SpD = 50.27% - 59.34%</li>
</ul>

<p>This set has a recovery move but in exchange its limited to two attacking moves. This means the second slot has a different counters for each move. Earthquake is easily countered by Gyarados and can set up in front of it. Skarmory can usually combat with Gyarados most of the time without Taunt. Rotom can manage with Bulky Gyarados a lot easier striking it back with a STAB Thunderbolt for a OHKO and can usually shrug of a +1 Waterfall. Zapdos can also wall you and Blissey or Snorlax can be of good service alongside Metagross to handle Zapdos. Skarmory can come in on this set with relative ease and Magnezone can come and trap Skarmory without Shed Shell and carve of its entire HP with Thunderbolt. If you opt to use Ice Punch in place of Earthquake or Thunder Punch, Steel-types in general can come in easily. Magnezone can come in on a golden oppurtunity if it can avoid an Earthquake and trap opposing Steel-types. If you choose Thunder Punch, this means Swampert can give you trouble. Celebi can usually handle Swampert the best, resisting 2 of Swampert's STAB move. This set in particular will always appreciate Stealth Rock to OHKO Salamence with Meteor Mash and beat Gyarados with Ice Punch with Stealth Rock down. Stealth Rock can turn 2HKO's to OHKO's.</p>

The calcs actually make me NOT want to use this. Honestly, everything 2HKO's with the help of Stealth Rock, and hell, 90% of OU teams have Stealth Rock on the field within 3 turns. I would much prefer the set in the analysis with a screen and 3 attacking choices, since every threat you show in the calcs can easily beat it, considering it can only use 2 moves. If it uses MM and IP, why even do a calc for a Magnezone Thunderbolt? It's going to beat it regardless. Gyarados beats MM and EQ, and so on. Really theres no point in this set.

franky

is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Calcs show it surviving the overwhelming physical threats in OU. The thing is it strikes back with a monstrous base 135 Atk. I thought this was worth a set, I actually tested it.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This doesn't even account for Stealth Rock. Rest and Sleep Talk is already in the set comments of the Bulky set. I thought you posted this a week ago?

The problem with Rest + Sleep Talk on Metagross was the fact that Metagross is too slow to stay in after it's taken a beating from one of those Pokemon and use Rest to heal off its damage, not to mention that Sleep Talk has a 1/3 chance of choose the move that would save Metagross' life most of the time.

Steel is just a horrible primary attacking type for any Pokemon. Metagross needs Ice Punch to beat Salamence and Gliscor while Gyarados can just trounce all over it without Thunder Punch. Then you have Lucario and Scizor coming in if Metagross lacks Earthquake. Metagross can pull off RestTalk against a team that doesn't carry strong Ground or Fire moves (well, any Special Attack for that matter), anything that's not 2HKO'd by a Meteor Mash... wait, where was I going with this? Oh yeah, Metagross is just fodder for so many of the threats in OU with its horrid type coverage (with only two moveslots, one a Steel typed STAB, that's pretty horrible for the OU metagame).

To be honest, I feel much safer running the Tank set knowing that I'm going to kill something with Explosion or that I have more variety with Metagross' attacks.

This set doesn't even win against Rotom-A without Ice Punch :/.

Damage Calculations are good on paper, show us some decent proof that this Metagross actually works against players who aren't retarded.

This doesn't even account for Stealth Rock. Rest and Sleep Talk is already in the set comments of the Bulky set. I thought you posted this a week ago?
That was StrategyFocus.

franky

Honestly though the second slot is always tough but I tested each move with a different team. Of course if I lacked Thunder Punch, I came prepared with a good check for Gyarados mainly. If I lacked Ice Punch, I made sure I had a good check for both Mence and Gliscor, you get the point. I'll try to provide logs but I have exams so I'll try to provide some anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)