Gen 4 DPP OU Teambuilding Compendium

DPP OU TEAMBUILDING COMPENDIUM

The idea of this thread is to provide a visual list of what Pokémon does what in the DPP OU metagame. This will help new and experienced players alike in finding Pokémon that fit their teams when looking for specific roles, as well as help players build more diverse teams by not always using the same Pokémon to fill the same role. Each Pokemon that are on here are on here based on their viability in the OU metagame and their performance of generic or specific (niche, if you will) roles that benefit your team. If you feel there is a Pokemon viable for the roles mentioned below and it hasn't been added to the group, recommend it in your post.

Rules and all that good stuff:
  • One liners are fine here, avoid double posting as per usual
  • Don't shitpost, don't flame, and don't be an idiot.
  • When suggesting things to be added / removed, provide decent reasoning as to why something should be added or removed.
  • Don't nominate unviable mons
Stealth Rock:

Spikes:

Toxic Spikes:

Spinners:

Spinblockers:

Physical Attackers:

Special Attackers:

Mixed Attackers:

Physical Walls:

Special Walls:

Mixed Walls:

Choice Users:

Setup Sweepers:
Swords Dance:

Dragon Dance:

Calm Mind:

Agility / Rock Polish:

Nasty Plot:

Curse:

Utility:
Weather:
/
(Rain Dance)
Trapping:

Paralysis:

Sleeping:

Roar / Whirlwind:

Wish:

Healing Wish / Lunar Dance:

Trick Room:

Stallbreakers:

Berry Users:

Last edited:

Foggi

Tournament Banned
Damn thats really usefull good job soulwind, i think you should add Tyranitar aswell as Heracross to the custap berry users (Custap ttar was used quite alot some time ago and Custap Hera is a set that i saw boudouche use alot and it did a great job, i've tried it too and i think its worth mentioning in the custap berry section cause it works as a nice lure) Another thing that i see is the lack of starmie in Choice Specs section, i think specs starmie acts as a great lead and should be mentioned there too.
I will edit my post and add other things that i think should be worth mentioning if i find anything

EDIT: Another thing that i forgot to mention is adding starmie to sitrus berry section, also i would add Fearligatr to the SD users section as well as Wacan berry users but its quite a gimmick mon so its up to you.

Last edited:

Empo

the darkness persists forever
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Damn, good job for both BW and DPP team building compendium, keep it up. I don't have a lot to add! This will surely help.

just a thing, probably add froslass as a spiker and spinblocker although its used in DPP UU iirc. i don't really play dpp, so don't add it if i'm wrong!

Last edited:

Tomahawk

If you don't like stroopwafels you got to flikker op
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Froslass isn't usable due to its only ability breaking the evasion clause.
I'm still annoyed about this.

Nice resource, thanks for the effort in making this.

What is the cutoff for viable enough to be on here? I definitely feel some Pokemon not on the list (Mismagius, Lanturn), although not great, are more viable than some Pokemon that are on the list (Dusknoir, Electivire, Porygon-Z). That is, unless the metagame's changed a lot in the last Tour and I missed that.

Nice job but i think Gliscor should be added to the Stallbreaker section (the Britscor set literally destroys stalls once Starmie has been removed), Gyarados to the choice section (Choice Band set hits like a truck and lures his common checks) and Feraligatr to the SD/DD section as Foggi said.

Btw it would be fine a "Lead" section too? Since dedicated leads play a big role on DPP due to no Team Preview.

Perhaps Zapdos to the paralyze section? I know it sounds kinda counterproductive because it doesn't accomplish anything vs. balanced / stall builds featuring Pert or Hippo, but it has a good merit vs. a few offenses (think of achieving an easier sweep w/Togekiss or Subs Machamp vs. a para'd Ttar or Tran).

Scarf Hera sounds legit imo. It kinda alleviates bad matchups vs. Roserade leads (if you opt for non-Lum Machamp or Metagross), does a decent job revenge killing DNite | DDTar | Gyarados, and STalk helps it to play around Loomer in a pinch. Fails to cover some teambuilding flaws due to its low amount of key resistances, but it's an interesting all-around 'mon overall.

As someone in the process of learning and enjoying dpp, this will definitely help a ton when I practice building teams and learn about different sets. Something I noticed while looking at this thread in more depth is that Pert is under both the SD and DD section. I don't believe Pert learns either of those moves, so I'd remove it from those sections. Great job with this, and thanks for posting this thread!

As someone in the process of learning and enjoying dpp, this will definitely help a ton when I practice building teams and learn about different sets. Something I noticed while looking at this thread in more depth is that Pert is under both the SD and DD section. I don't believe Pert learns either of those moves, so I'd remove it from those sections. Great job with this, and thanks for posting this thread!
Swampert doesn't learn those moves. Soulwind should have mistaken it for Feraligatr.

Shouldn't Milotic fit on mixed wall better than special attackers? Vaporeon could probably have another slot on mixed wall as well.

Thoughts on Gyara being wallbreaker as well? DD Taunt is pretty decent v stall though idk how often people run that nowadays.

If this is still getting updated you cann add some more TR user like Dusknoir and Slowbro. Further id suggest to at least add a category for Antileads and add Dragonite and Lucario for Stallbreaker and move the category out of Utility, since raw mixed damage doesnt really sound like utility for me.

Also there might be an argument for a category "Cleaner" for stuff like Jolteon or Starmie and "Revenger". I dont really like the idea of the Choice Users, since they dont really help for building a team, you would rather look for stuff like Wallbreaker and Revenger, while the latter one includes stuff like scarfusers but also things like MachPunch CBApe, Dnite with Xspeed, Scizors BP, and so on.

A Baton Pass section would indeed be a cool idea, theres a lot of potential for SD passes, like Gliscor on Metagross, or maybe Agility passes with Zapdos, NP Passes with Celebi, or even simple Sub passes with Jolteon, and even more.

Otherwise, really good work!