DPP Revenankh (Wall)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi cap folks! as i wrote the original revenankh analysis, i thought it made sense for me to update it for the revisions. it's basically just the addition of this set, though i'll go through the whole analysis and make minor tweaks later in this thread.

http://www.smogon.com/cap/pokemon/strategies/revenankh

*note that my original set had 16 attack EVs. i have no idea why. if anyone can tell me what they may have been for, i will include them in this set; otherwise i am leaving them out.

------------------------------------------

[SET]
name: Wall
move 1: Will-O-Wisp
move 2: Hammer Arm
move 3: Knock Off / Shadow Claw
move 4: Rest
item: Leftovers
ability: Shed Skin
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 96 SpD / 12 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>For a mixed wall, Revenankh's typing could not be much better. Three relatively uncommon weaknesses and great overall bulk make Revenankh an ideal switch-in to threatening Pokemon such as Scizor, Infernape, Lucario, and Machamp.</p>

<p>Will-O-Wisp is the most important move on this set; a burn status will prevent almost any physically-inclined Pokemon from beating Revenankh. At the top of this list is Salamence, who will likely try to Draco Meteor or Outrage Revenankh as soon as possible, only to find it is unable to deal much further damage. Will-O-Wisp can also catch many of Revenankh's usual counters off-guard, such as Gyarados, Hippowdon, Swampert, and Choice Scarf Jirachi. Hammer Arm is a direct and reliable way for Revenankh to deal damage, and allows it to be a good check to Choice Scarf Heatran. Rest is once again used in tandem with Shed Skin to allow for great survivability and virtual immunity to status. Knock Off is a very useful move on stall teams, especially in a sandstorm. Ideally, you will want to get rid of Leftovers, though removing Life Orb will make offensive opponents far easier to handle as well. However, offensive teams will likely find that Knock Off slows down the offensive momentum, so Shadow Claw is recommended instead; it offers perfect type coverage with Hammer Arm.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs look complicated, but they make Revenankh as bulky as possible. To start with, HP is maxed as this provides maximum durability against mixed attackers. 96 Special Defense EVs with a Careful nature hits 330, which is usually enough, though more can be used if you find Salamence's Draco Meteor does just a bit too much damage. a minor 12 Speed EV investment ensures you beat 16 Speed Skarmory, allowing you to Will-O-Wisp it before it can Brave Bird you. It also outruns Adamant Rhyperior. The remainder is thrown into Defense.</p>

<p>Revenankh functions well on both stall and offense. On stall, it is used to block Rapid Spin. Revenankh is one of the best counters to Fighting-typed Pokemon in general, including Lucario, Heracross, Machamp, Breloom, and Infernape, so it makes a great partner to Blissey. Between Blissey and Revenankh, a stall team should be able to wall almost every special attacker you could imagine. Blissey also covers the few special attackers whom Revenankh doesn't like, including Togekiss, Azelf, and Alakazam. Revenankh has trouble with Gyarados that pack Taunt, so a reliable counter like HP-Electric Vaporeon or Celebi is a very good idea. While Rest provides recovery, it has the potential risk of forcing Revenankh to idle for two turns, so Wish support from Blissey or Vaporeon will still be useful to keep Revenankh in tip-top shape.</p>

<p>On offense, Revenankh is used as a bulky pivot and for burn support. Snorlax is a good partner to Revenankh, as its main fear is powerful Fighting-typed Pokemon such as Machamp and Lucario. Tyranitar is in the same boat, as in addition to countering Fighting-types, Revenankh will help against Scizor. Other Pokemon who fear Fighting Pokemon will generally appreciate Revenankh's ability to force switches. This Revenankh shouldn't expect to get support from its team-mates; it is used to add bulk to the team, not to sweep itself.</p>

Ignore this stuff as it mostly discusses CAP interactions with the set. My suggested changes below in the hidden tag are all appropriate, however.

Most of it is really well-written, though I think somewhere you should mention that outside of knocking off Kitsunoh's Leftovers (which hurts only a little with immunity to sandstorm and a resistance to SR), variants with Taunt will beat you reliably. It'd be good for teams using this set to have an answer to that.

Also, this is up in the air as it might be obvious, but once WoW is revealed, Colossoil will try to absorb it for the Guts boost. Maybe that could get mentioned somewhere. Furthermore, this set is actually very good against Arghonaut with its burn support and Knock Off. Nothing Arghonaut can do really threatens Rev back, so I added it to the list of Pokemon to switch Rev into. (It's Bulk Up sets really hate burn and losing Leftovers)

[SET]
move 1: Will-o-Wisp

<p>For a mixed wall, Revenankh's typing could not be much better. Three weaknesses, none of them being particularly common all of them uncommon, makes Revenankh an ideal switch-in to threatening Pokemon such as Scizor, Salamence, Infernape, Lucario, and Machamp.</p>

<p>Will-o-Wisp is the most important move on this set; a burn status will prevent almost any physically-inclined Pokemon from beating Revenankh. At the top of this list is Salamence, who will likely try to Draco Meteor or Outrage Revenankh as soon as possible, only to find it is unable to deal any further damage. Will-o-Wisp can also catch many of Revenankh's usual counters off-guard, such as Gyarados, Hippowdon, Swampert, and Choice Scarf Jirachi, all of whom are common choices to switch in. Hammer Arm is a direct and reliable way for Revenankh to do damage, (<- Remove this comma) and allows Revenankh to be a good check to Choice Scarf Heatran. Rest is once again used in tandem with Shed Skin to allow for great survivability and virtual immunity to status. Knock Off is a very useful move on stall teams, especially if you can activate Sand Stream. Ideally, you will want to get rid of Leftovers, thoughbut removing MixMence's Life Orbs will make its attacks far easier to handle as well. However, oOffensive teams will likely find that Knock Off is too slow to be helpful, so Shadow Claw is recommended instead; it offers perfect type coverage with Hammer Arm.</p>

<p>The EVs look complicated, but they are actually fairly simple.The EV spread is designed to make Revenankh as bulky as possible. To start with, HP is maxed, as this providesproviding maximum durability against mixed attackers. 96 Special Defense EVs with a Careful nature hits 330, which is usually enough enough to not be 2HKOed by Choice Scarf Togekiss' Air Slash., though more can be used if you find Salamence's Draco Meteor does just a bit too much damage. 12 Speed EVs is a minor investment that allows lets you to beat 16 Speed Skarmory, allowing you to Will-o-Wisp it before it can Brave Bird you., as well as outrunning It also lets you outrun Adamant Rhyperior. The remainder is thrown placed into Defense.</p>

<p>Revenankh functions well on both stall and offense. On stall, it is used to block Rapid Spin. Revenankh is one of the best counters to Fighting-typed Fighting-type Pokemon in general, including Lucario, Heracross, Machamp, Breloom, and Infernape, so it makes a great partner to Blissey. Between Blissey and Revenankh, a stall team should be able to wall almost every special attacker you could imaginein the metagame. Blissey also covers the few special attackers whom Revenankh doesn't like, including Togekiss, Azelf, and Alakazam. Revenankh has trouble with Gyarados that pack Taunt, so a reliable counter like Vaporeon or Celebi would beis a very good idea. While Rest provides recovery, it has the potential risk of forcing Revenankh to idle for two turns,. (<- Remove this comma, replace with a period) Wish support from Blissey or Vaporeon will help keep Revenankh in tip-top shape.</p>

<p>On offense, Revenankh is used as a bulky pivot and for burn support. Snorlax is a good partner to Revenankh, as CurseLax's main fear is powerful Fighting-type Pokemon Fighters such as Machamp and Lucario. Tyranitar is in the same boat,. (<- Remove this comma, replace with a period) and Inin addition to countering Fighting-types, Revenankh will help against Scizor. Other Pokemon who fear Fighting-type Pokemon will generally appreciate Revenankh's ability to force switches. This Revenankh shouldn't expect to get support from its teammates; it is used to add bulk to the team, not to sweep itself.</p>

Struck out stuff is mostly awkward or things that don't conform to this thread. Anyways, hope I helped. :)

Revenankh has trouble with Gyarados that pack Taunt, so a reliable counter like Vaporeon or Celebi would be a very good idea.

since when is celebi a relieable counter to taunt gyarados? gyarados often runs bounce to destroy celebi, and vaporeon is only solid if it packs hp electric so you might want to mention that.

rising_dusk, the analyses are written for the standard metagame. kitsunoh, arghonaut and colossoil don't exist outside of the cap metagame section.

lati0s, what would you call a good counter to tauntrados? i'll mention hp-elec vaporeon but i'd like something else

Umbreon Dan said:
rising_dusk, the analyses are written for the standard metagame. kitsunoh, arghonaut and colossoil don't exist outside of the cap metagame section.
Then simply omit the suggested Arghonaut addition. Everything else still applies.

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
[SET]

<p>For a mixed wall, Revenankh's typing could not be much better. Three relatively uncommon weaknesses and great overall bulk, none of them being particularly common, makes Revenankh an ideal switch-in to threatening Pokemon such as Scizor, Salamence, Infernape, Lucario, and Machamp.</p>

<p>Will-o-Wisp is the most important move on this set; a burn status will prevent almost any physically-inclined Pokemon from beating Revenankh. At the top of this list is Salamence, who will likely try to Draco Meteor or Outrage Revenankh as soon as possible, only to find it is unable to deal any much further damage. Will-o-Wisp can also catch many of Revenankh's usual counters off-guard, such as Gyarados, Hippowdon, Swampert, and Choice Scarf Jirachi, all of whom are common choices to switch in. Hammer Arm is a direct and reliable way for Revenankh to do damage, and allows Revenankh it to be a good check to Choice Scarf Heatran. Rest is once again used in tandem with Shed Skin to allow for great survivability and virtual immunity to status. Knock Off is a very useful move on stall teams, especially if you can activate Sand Stream. Ideally, you will want to get rid of Leftovers, though removing MixMence's Life Orb (and/or Choice items from common Trick switch-ins like Latias and Rotom-A?) will make its attacks offensive opponents far easier to handle as well. However, offensive teams will likely find that Knock Off is too slow to be helpful, so Shadow Claw is recommended instead; it offers perfect type coverage with Hammer Arm.</p>

<p>The EVs look complicated, but they are actually fairly simple. To start with, HP is maxed as this provides maximum durability against mixed attackers. 96 Special Defense EVs with a Careful nature hits 330, which is usually enough, though more can be used if you find Salamence's Draco Meteor does just a bit too much damage. 12 Speed is a minor investment that allows you to beat 16 Speed Skarmory, allowing you to Will-o-Wisp it before it can Brave Bird you, as well as outrunning Adamant Rhyperior. The remainder is thrown into Defense.</p>

<p>Revenankh functions well on both stall and offense. On stall, it is used to block Rapid Spin. Revenankh is one of the best counters to Fighting-typed Pokemon in general, including Lucario, Heracross, Machamp, Breloom, and Infernape, so it makes a great partner to Blissey. Between Blissey and Revenankh, a stall team should be able to wall almost every special attacker you could imagine. Blissey also covers the few special attackers whom Revenankh doesn't like, including Togekiss, Azelf and Alakazam. Revenankh has trouble with Gyarados that pack Taunt, so a reliable counter like HP-Electric Vaporeon orCelebi would be a very good idea. While Rest provides recovery, it has the potential risk of forcing Revenankh to idle for two turns, so Wish support from Blissey or Vaporeon will still be useful to help keep Revenankh in tip-top shape.</p>

<p>On offense, Revenankh is used as a bulky pivot and for burn support. Snorlax is a good partner to Revenankh, as CurseLax's main fear is powerful Fighters such as Machamp and Lucario. Tyranitar is in the same boat, and in addition to countering Fighting-types, Revenankh will help against Scizor. Other Pokemon who fear Fighting Pokemon will generally appreciate Revenankh's ability to force switches. This Revenankh shouldn't expect to get support from its team-mates; it is used to add bulk to the team, not to sweep itself.</p>

Fun fun fun. Not too much to say here; it's a good set and a good analysis. Well done.

We should also get rid of the section of the analysis that compares Moonlight to Rest. He doesn't even have Air Lock anymore. Furthermore, in the "EVs" section, there is a mention of Air Lock that should be removed. Otherwise, those seem to be the only places it was ever brought up.

There are also a few typos I missed on my first run-through:

<p>For a mixed wall, Revenankh's typing could not be much better. Three weaknesses, all of them uncommon, makes (<- Get rid of that s) Revenankh an ideal switch-in to threatening Pokemon such as Scizor, Salamence, Infernape, Lucario, and Machamp.</p>

<p>Will-o-Wisp is the most important move on this set; a burn status will prevent almost any physically-inclined Pokemon from beating Revenankh. At the top of this list is Salamence, who will likely try to Draco Meteor or Outrage Revenankh as soon as possible, only to find it is unable to deal any further significant (Currently worded awkwardly, I suggest this as an improvement) damage. Will-o-Wisp can also catch many of Revenankh's usual counters off-guard, such as Gyarados, Hippowdon, Swampert, and Choice Scarf Jirachi, all of whom are common choices to switch in. Hammer Arm is a direct and reliable way for Revenankh to do damage and allows Revenankh to be a good check to Choice Scarf Heatran. Rest is once again used in tandem with Shed Skin to allow for great survivability and virtual immunity to status. Knock Off is a very useful move on stall teams, especially if you can activate Sand Stream in a sandstorm (This makes the intent of what you're saying more clear). Ideally, you will want to get rid of Leftovers, though removing MixMence's Life Orb will make its attacks far easier to handle as well. (I really think just knocking off LOs in general is good, not just from MixMence) However, offensive teams will likely find that Knock Off is too slow to be helpful, so Shadow Claw is recommended instead; it offers perfect type coverage with Hammer Arm.</p>

<p>The EVs look complicated, but they make Revenankh as bulky as possible. To start with, HP is maxed as this provides maximum durability against mixed attackers. 96 Special Defense EVs with a Careful nature hits 330, which is usually enough, though more can be used if you find Salamence's Draco Meteor does just a bit too much damage. 12 Speed EVs is a minor investment that lets you beat 16 Speed Skarmory, allowing you to Will-o-Wisp it before it can Brave Bird you. It also outruns Adamant Rhyperior. The remainder is thrown into Defense.</p>

<p>Revenankh functions well on both stall and offense. On stall, it is used to block Rapid Spin. Revenankh is one of the best counters to Fighting-typed Pokemon in general, including Lucario, Heracross, Machamp, Breloom, and Infernape, so it makes a great partner to Blissey. Between Blissey and Revenankh, a stall team should be able to wall almost every special attacker you could imagine. Blissey also covers the few special attackers whom Revenankh doesn't like, including Togekiss, Azelf, and Alakazam. Revenankh has trouble with Gyarados that pack Taunt, so a reliable counter like Hidden Power Electric Vaporeon or Celebi is a very good idea. While Rest provides recovery, it has the potential risk of forcing Revenankh to idle for two turns. Wish support from Blissey or Vaporeon will help keep Revenankh in tip-top shape.</p>

<p>On offense, Revenankh is used as a bulky pivot and for burn support. Snorlax is a good partner to Revenankh, as CurseLax's main fear is powerful Fighting-typed Pokemon such as Machamp and Lucario. Tyranitar is in the same boat,. (<- Remove this comma, replace with a period) in In addition to countering Fighting-types, Revenankh will help against Scizor. Other Pokemon who fear Fighting Pokemon will generally appreciate Revenankh's ability to force switches. This Revenankh shouldn't expect to get support from its team-mates; it is used to add bulk to the team, not to sweep itself.</p>

I noticed you ignored some of my previously suggested rewordings. Guess that's your call, but it'd make it easier to read and digest if you took them into account.

Cheers.

thank you both.

as for knocking off lo and choice items, ehhhh. knocking off a life orb makes their user last a lot longer; often it's better for a stall team just to whether the hits and let the pokemon KO itself (for example i would never knock off a lucario). knocking off choice scarf is always bad for a stall team, and choice specs and choice band usually. trick users is okay i guess, but they will still steal your leftovers :(

for things like fighting-type pokemon vs fighting-typed pokemon, i dunno. i've written fighting-type before to have people correct it fighting-typed.

hi cap folks! as i wrote the original revenankh analysis, i thought it made sense for me to update it for the revisions. it's basically just the addition of this set, though i'll go through the whole analysis and make minor tweaks later in this thread.

http://www.smogon.com/cap/pokemon/strategies/revenankh

*note that my original set had 16 attack EVs. i have no idea why. if anyone can tell me what they may have been for, i will include them in this set; otherwise i am leaving them out.

------------------------------------------

[SET]

<p>For a mixed wall, Revenankh's typing could not be much better. Three relatively uncommon weaknesses and great overall bulk make Revenankh an ideal switch-in to threatening Pokemon such as Scizor, Salamence, Infernape, Lucario, and Machamp.</p>

<p>Will-o-Wisp is the most important move on this set; a burn status will prevent almost any physically-inclined Pokemon from beating Revenankh. At the top of this list is Salamence, who will likely try to Draco Meteor or Outrage Revenankh as soon as possible, only to find it is unable to deal much further damage <technically, wow isn't stopping mence from using Draco Meteor (it encourages it). try to fix the structure. maybe like: "Draco Meteor you for a large amount of your health and then go in with Outrage for the kill." (my one is assuming you start from the bolded word.> Will-o-Wisp can also catch many of Revenankh's usual counters off-guard, such as Gyarados, Hippowdon, Swampert <not much as counters as walls, so use the term lightly.>, and Choice Scarf Jirachi, all of whom are common choices to switch in <"to Revenankh" sounds better imo>. Hammer Arm is a direct and reliable way for Revenankh to do damage, and allows it to be a good check to Choice Scarf Heatran. Rest is once again used in tandem with Shed Skin to allow for great survivability and virtual immunity to status. Knock Off is a very useful move on stall teams, especially in a sandstorm. Ideally, you will want to get rid of Leftovers, though removing Life Orb will make offensive opponents far easier to handle as well. However, offensive teams will likely find that Knock Off is too slow to be helpful, so Shadow Claw is recommended instead; <"as"> it offers perfect type coverage with Hammer Arm.</p>

<p>The EVs look complicated, but they make Revenankh as bulky as possible. To start with, HP is maxed as this provides maximum durability against mixed attackers. 96 Special Defense EVs with a Careful nature hits 330, which is usually enough, though more can be used if you find Salamence's Draco Meteor does just a bit too much damage. 12 Speed EVs is a minor investment that lets you beat 16 Speed Skarmory, allowing you to Will-o-Wisp it before it can Brave Bird you. It also outruns Adamant Rhyperior<yo Rev, you want a medal for outrunning a non-existant pokemon in CaP?>. The remainder is thrown into Defense.</p>

<p>Revenankh functions well on both stall and offense. On stall, it is used to block Rapid Spin. Revenankh is one of the best counters to Fighting-typed Pokemon in general, including Lucario, Heracross, Machamp, Breloom, and Infernape, so it makes a great partner to Blissey. Between Blissey and Revenankh, a stall team should be able to wall almost every special attacker you could imagine. Blissey also covers the few special attackers whom Revenankh doesn't like, including Togekiss, Azelf, and Alakazam <i dont see the point of mentioning pokemon that are basically non-existant in CaP. this also goes for Luke and Hera. they just aren't in CaP.>. Revenankh has trouble with Gyarados that pack Taunt, so a reliable counter like HP-Electric Vaporeon or Celebi is a very good idea. While Rest provides recovery, it has the potential risk of forcing Revenankh to idle for two turns, so Wish support from Blissey or Vaporeon will still be useful to Revenankh in tip-top shape.</p>

<p>On offense, Revenankh is used as a bulky pivot and for burn support. Snorlax is a good partner to Revenankh, as CurseLax's main fear is powerful Fighting-typed Pokemon such as Machamp and Lucario. Tyranitar <Cause lax, Luke and TTar are common in cap. Why mention it if it basically doesn't exist? Because it seems to me you're just saying "just because".> is in the same boat, as in addition to countering Fighting-types, Revenankh will help against Scizor. Other Pokemon who fear Fighting Pokemon will generally appreciate Revenankh's ability to force switches. This Revenankh shouldn't expect to get support from its team-mates; it is used to add bulk to the team, not to sweep itself.</p>

CAP analyses are not meant to include other CAP Pokemon, lati0s.

I just gotta say I love this set. :)

[SET]
move 1: Will-O-Wisp

<p>For a mixed wall, Revenankh's typing could not be much better. Three relatively uncommon weaknesses and great overall bulk make Revenankh an ideal switch-in to threatening Pokemon such as Scizor, Salamence [I don't think Rev is the best switch-in to Salamence. It takes a ton of damage from Outrage, and almost every Mence carries that. Also, I believe Revenankh is KOed with a combination of Draco Meteor and Outrage.], Infernape, Lucario, and Machamp.</p>

<p>Will-O-Wisp is the most important move on this set; a burn status will prevent almost any physically-inclined Pokemon from beating Revenankh. At the top of this list is Salamence, who will likely try to Draco Meteor or Outrage Revenankh as soon as possible, only to find it is unable to deal much further damage. Will-O-Wisp can also catch many of Revenankh's usual counters off-guard, such as Gyarados, Hippowdon, Swampert, and Choice Scarf Jirachi. Hammer Arm is a reliable way for Revenankh to deal damage, and allows it to be a good check to Choice Scarf Heatran. Rest is once again used in tandem with Shed Skin to allow for great survivability and virtual immunity to status. Knock Off is a very useful move on [Do you mean against stall teams or when Rev is on a stall team itself?] stall teams, especially in a sandstorm. Ideally, you will want to get rid of Leftovers, though removing Life Orb will make offensive opponents far easier to handle as well. However, offensive teams will likely find that Knock Off slows down the offensive momentum, so Shadow Claw is recommended instead. It also offers perfect type coverage with Hammer Arm.</p>

<p>The EVs look complicated, but they make Revenankh as bulky as possible. To start with, HP is maxed as this provides maximum durability against mixed attackers. 96 Special Defense EVs with a Careful nature hits 330, which is usually enough [Enough for what?], though more can be used if you find Salamence's Draco Meteor does just a bit too much damage. 12 Speed EVs is a minor investment that lets you beat 16 Speed Skarmory, allowing you to Will-O-Wisp it before it can Brave Bird you. It also outruns Adamant Rhyperior. The remainder is thrown into Defense.</p>

<p>Revenankh functions well on both stall and offense. On stall, it is used to block Rapid Spin. Revenankh is one of the best counters to Fighting-typed Pokemon in general, including Lucario, Heracross, Machamp, Breloom, and Infernape, so it makes a great partner to Blissey. Between Blissey and Revenankh, a stall team should be able to wall almost every special attacker you could imagine. Blissey also covers the few special attackers whom Revenankh doesn't like, including Togekiss, Azelf [Azelf usually carries Explosion so using Blissey is too risky], and Alakazam. Revenankh has trouble with Gyarados that pack Taunt, so a reliable counter like Hidden Power Electric Vaporeon or Celebi is a very good idea. While Rest provides recovery, it has the potential risk of forcing Revenankh to idle for two turns, so Wish support from Blissey or Vaporeon will still be useful to keep Revenankh in tip-top shape.</p>

<p>On offense, Revenankh is used as a bulky pivot and for burn support. Snorlax is a good partner to Revenankh, as Snorlax's main fear is powerful Fighting-typed Pokemon such as Machamp and Lucario. Tyranitar is in the same boat, as in addition to countering Fighting-types, Revenankh will help Tyranitar's problem against Scizor. Other Pokemon who fear Fighting Pokemon will generally appreciate Revenankh's ability to force switches. This Revenankh shouldn't expect to get support from its teammates; it is used to add bulk to the team, not to sweep itself.</p>
Cool stuff.

[I don't think Rev is the best switch-in to Salamence. It takes a ton of damage from Outrage, and almost every Mence carries that. Also, I believe Revenankh is KOed with a combination of Draco Meteor and Outrage.]
this was kinda referring to the old mixmence with brick break > outrage, to whom revenankh is literally the #1 counter, but that wasn't very clear. any suggestions on word to reword that?

thanks fuzznip ill edit stuff when im not eating a sandwich

This seems to suggest that it's "fighting-type" not "fighting-typed".
where exactly does it say that i cant find it

in my experience, both "x is fighting-typed" and "x is of the fighting-type" have been correct

whoa i just noticed that revenankh gets destiny bond! could that be useful here, over rest i guess? has anybody used it?

Just a minor thing, sentences shouldn't start with numbers. Since most everything uses the numbers plainly instead of as words (Twelve vs 12):

12 Speed EVs is a minor investment that lets you beat 16 Speed Skarmory,

A minor 12 Speed EV investment allows you to beat 16 Speed Skarmory,

thanks akusu.

this is effectively done for now. i'm going to touch up the entire thing at a later date but for now pyroak is higher on my priority list. i'll get fuzznip to upload this and i'll start a pyroak revamp thread within the next few days.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
since when is celebi a relieable counter to taunt gyarados? gyarados often runs bounce to destroy celebi, and vaporeon is only solid if it packs hp electric so you might want to mention that.
Gyarados doesn't run Bounce that often and even then, Bounce is not enough to kill Celebi. Celebi can hit back hard with Grass Knot during the Taunt and continue to alternate between attacking and recovering while it Bounces. Celebi always has the advantage against Gyarados and unless you're running very bulky (which case you wouldn't have Taunt nor the power to kill it) or it's low on health, you should switch out immediately.

EDIT: I think you should mention somewhere in the analysis the use of Brick Break for screen setup. I use it on some of my walls as it is and they can actually afford the power drop without missing any vital KOs.

i dont really think brick break needs to be mentioned on every set. it's in other options (or will be). thanks anyway, and i agree with you about celebi.

Gyarados doesn't run Bounce that often and even then, Bounce is not enough to kill Celebi. Celebi can hit back hard with Grass Knot during the Taunt and continue to alternate between attacking and recovering while it Bounces. Celebi always has the advantage against Gyarados and unless you're running very bulky (which case you wouldn't have Taunt nor the power to kill it) or it's low on health, you should switch out immediately.

EDIT: I think you should mention somewhere in the analysis the use of Brick Break for screen setup. I use it on some of my walls as it is and they can actually afford the power drop without missing any vital KOs.
Bounce is enough to KO every celebi after two DD's Gyarados gets one dance as celebi switches in, then it taunts the probable status move, easily survives grassknow and gets a second dance then annihilates celebi with bounce. Even if celebi predicts the taunt and attacks twice two grass knots from the standard defensive celebi will not KO gyarados.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
then it taunts the probable status move,
You mean it Taunts a Grass Knot and gets 2HKOed.

Celebi's been a reliable counter for Gyarados for the past forever, where have you been, man.

You mean it Taunts a Grass Knot and gets 2HKOed.

Celebi's been a reliable counter for Gyarados for the past forever, where have you been, man.
Gyarados does in fact run Bounce very often in the CAP metagame. It's basically mandatory if Gyarados want to at least damage Arghonaut. In fact, 43.8% of Gyarados run Bounce, which is almost half. So your first argument is completely wrong.

Most TauntDos are generally bulky, meaning it will have at least 156 HP EVs (the standard BulkyDos EVs). Celebi that don't run any Special Attack (the standard Celebi) will never be able to 2HKO Gyarados, even with Stealth Rock factored in. Celebi's Grass Knot will only deal 34.86% - 41.35% damage to Gyarados. This means Gyarados can gather two Dragon Dance boosts fairly easily and OHKO Celebi in return, as it does 95.05% - 111.88% damage. Even if you weren't using a bulky Gyarados at all, Celebi will still not be able to 2HKO Gyarados. It only manages 38.97% - 46.22% vs 0/0 Gyarados. That would mean 252 Atk +1 Gyarados does 81.68% - 96.53% to Celebi, not factoring in Life Orb. Celebi will never be able to Recover stall Gyarados, unless it keeps on spamming Recover which is stupid because Gyarados can just get another Dragon Dance.

With all of that said, you are wrong. Celebi is a very risky switch-in to Gyarados. It was a good switch-in before Gyarados had access to Bounce in its movepool, but now that it does and with it being constantly used in the CAP metagame, Celebi is no longer the best counter. Back up your arguments with facts, because to be honest (don't mean to be mean or anything), you're just making stuff up.

EDIT: The set is already on-site so this could be locked. :)
EDIT2: Wait not yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)