move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Outrage
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Fire Blast / Roost
item: Life Orb
nature: Naive / Naughty
evs: 232 Atk / 24 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set makes use of Salamence's excellent overall stats and decent resistances to set up and sweep with a combination of Dragon Dance and Outrage. A +1 Life Orb Outrage is capable of 2HKOing every Pokemon in OU bar select Steel-types such as physically defensive Skarmory. Earthquake is required to break through grounded Steel-types, such as Metagross and Heatran, who resist Outrage. Finally, Fire Blast handles Scizor, Forretress, and Skarmory, none of which are defeated by Earthquake. Roost is also an option for recovering recoil damage from Life Orb and Stealth Rock while also letting Salamence act as a counter (in lieu of simply a check) to Fighting- and Ground-types; however, having a way to dispose of the aforementioned pokemon will be necessary. As for other options, Dragon Claw works as a secondary STAB without Outrage's self-locking drawbacks while Stone Edge KOes Zapdos and offensive Gyarados after Stealth Rock damage. Dragon Claw can go over either Outrage or Fire Blast while Stone Edge should always go in the fourth slot.</p>

<p>The given EVs ensure that Fire Blast will always OHKO 252/0 Impish Skarmory while tying with other base 100s. The preference between Naive and Naughty comes down to whether you prefer to at least tie with revenge killing threats such as Choice Scarf Jirachi or deal more damage to defensive walls such as Swampert. For example, a max Attack Outrage stands a 20% chance of OHKOing 252/252 Relaxed Swampert after Stealth Rock. When not running Fire Blast, Salamence should be given a Jolly or Adamant nature with an EV spread of 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe.</p>

<p>Life Orb is the most recommended item, granting Salamence several OHKOs which it could otherwise not attain. Yache Berry can be used to survive an unSTABbed Ice-type attack and net a second Dragon Dance, but there is only a .05x power difference between a +1 Life Orb and a +2 boosted attack so it's often not worth it, especially against foes without an Ice-type attack. Lum Berry can be used if status is of concern to you, taking into account Outrage's confusion-causing side effect.</p>

<p>This set's biggest problem is going to be Steel-types, which, thanks to their high Defense and resistance to Outrage, can often prevent Salamence from sweeping. Magnezone is a highly recommended partner which can switch into the more threatening Steel-types, such as Scizor, Skarmory, Jirachi, and Bronzong, and KO them with Thunderbolt. Carrying a Pokémon to lure out Steel-types beforehand is a must, else Salamence will be too weak to pull off a sweep if it switches in too many times into Stealth Rock. Gengar is a good choice to accomplish this task, which can either scout for Choiced attacks with Protect or KO the Steel-types itself with Hidden Power Fire. In general, Gengar is great at weakening the opponent's Pokémon into Outrage's KO range.</p>

<p>Although with proper support, Salamence can usually sweep on its own, you may also wish to consider partners capable of sweeping with the holes Salamence makes on the opponent's team. Since Salamence lures out bulky Water-types quite easily, using a Choice Scarf Heatran with this set will make it difficult for the opponent to counter both it and Salamence. Alternatively, Steel-types such as Lucario and Metagross can also set up on the usual attacks used to revenge kill this set.</p>

[SET]
name: Classic MixMence
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 3: Brick Break
move 4: Roost
nature: Rash
evs: 80 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set is aimed to use both of Salamence's excelling attacking stats to break apart stall team and should specifically be used on teams which have trouble against them. Salamence finds an easy time switching into resisted attacks, allowing it to begin firing off Draco Meteors at the opponent. Fire Blast provides Salamence with an option to hit Steel-types for super effective, while Brick Break will ensure the 2HKO on Blissey and Heatran after Stealth Rock damage. Note that Flamethrower can also be used over Fire Blast, but the lower base power is often not worth Fire Blast's decreased accuracy. For the last slot, Roost ensures that Salamence will stick around while also making Stealth Rock a lesser issue. Crunch is an alternative option if you want to KO Cresselia and Dusknoir after they switch into a Draco Meteor, but it will find little use outside of that.</p>

<p>A Rash nature and max Special Attack is provided to allow Salamence to hit as hard as possible. 176 Speed EVs allow Salamence to out-pace Adamant Lucario, making it an excellent check to it as a +1 Life Orb Extremespeed will never KO Salamence after Stealth Rock damage. The leftover EVs are placed in Attack to boost Brick Break's power. One can feel free to experiment with different EV spreads to suit a team's specific needs. Life Orb is a must on this set, as without it, Salamence will not attain any of the KOs mentioned.</p>

<p>A common misconception is that Draco Meteor can be used haphazardly on this set to break apart stall, but a specific strategy is required to actually do so. Salamence should be switched into a Pokémon that will be forced out, such as Skarmory. A standard stall player will switch out to a Pokémon that can absorb Fire Blast easily, so using another move is often better, such as Brick Break for Blissey or Draco Meteor for Swampert. Although Brick Break does 2HKO Blissey, Brick Break won't KO it after a Fire Blast, by which time it can cripple Salamence with Toxic or Thunder Wave. Once Blissey has been worn down, Draco Meteor can be used with less risk to break apart the opponent's team. Be warned that Roost cannot be haphazardly used either; it should be used only when the opponent's regular switch-in to Salamence is weakened enough to be KO'd after you use Roost on the switch.</p>

<p>Given this set's specific objective is to weaken stall, teammates for this set should aim to sweep teams weakened by Salamence's assault. Life Orb Starmie is a great partner for this set, as it single handedly beats stall once Blissey has been sufficiently weakened, while against offensive teams, Starmie will find an easy time switching in against the usual Bullet Punch and Ice-type attack aimed at Salamence. Starmie can also use Rapid Spin to rid your field of Stealth Rock. Agility Metagross and Swords Dance Lucario are also effective partners, as both can set up on the attacks used to revenge kill Salamence, and both will appreciate Salamence's weakening of Swampert and Gyarados. Although not necessary, having a way to prevent or get rid of Stealth Rock will lessen the stress placed on Salamence to repeatedly heal. Both Azelf and Aerodactyl can use Taunt against slower leads to prevent Stealth Rock.</p>
I'll try to get to the rest later today. I'd also like to vouch for the Choice Specs set.

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 2: Dragon Pulse
move 3: Flamethrower
move 4: Hydro Pump
item: Choice Specs
nature: Modest / Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

This is a truly dastardly set. You said that Scizor is a problem but that is far from the truth. A resisted Draco Meteor with a Modest nature, almost always 2HKOes Scizor after Stealth Rock. Hydro Pump will also 2HKO Scizor, and allows a great deal of neutral damage. Hydro Pump will 2HKO Swampert after Stealth Rock, and since it does not lower your SpA, you can continue using it (until you miss I guess). This set is perfectly viable, more so I'd say than FatMence even. Latias does not outclass it because Latias does not learn Flamethrower or Hydro Pump, and Latias also often opts for a Speed boosting nature, making this set actually more powerful. If Stealth Rock is a reason to not use this set, than the Choice Band set should be removed too. Not only does it lock you into one move, but locks you in against Salamence's common counters, i.e. physically defensive Pokemon.

Disclaimer: I am not attacking any of the sets, but I'm going to offer criticism to promote discussion as always!
Alright RaikouLover. I've read over your post, which I definitely liked the structure of, and will do my best to response to your suggestions. One thing that I do want to note is Joshe is assisting me with this analysis (he keeps changing his mind a lot), so I may ask him to leave some responses too.

RaikouLover said:
[SET]
name: Dragon Dance
move 4: Roost / Dragon Claw / Fire Blast
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Okay, my thoughts on the main set are this. Naughty and Naive are poor nature choices because Salamence really doesn't need to lower it's special defense to use Fire Blast for one pokemon (IMPISH Skarmory, which I remind you is the lesser used varient now). Bronzong will beat you either way, since after a Dance and 1 attack hes pretty damn close to OHKOing you with Gyro Ball (someone can check the calcs on this). So Roost and Dragon Claw are way superior options. Fire Blast will still do 87.4% minimum with an Adamant nature (which is what, 99% OHKO w/ SR?) on Impish Skarmory. When it comes to Special Defensive Skarmory, neither can OHKO as a Naughty Fire blast from the spread listed maxes at 86.8%.
From my experience with this set, I'd have to say that running Fire Blast as the first option is definitely the way to go. The most important thing to keep in mind is that this set aims to form holes on the opponent's team for other Pokémon to take advantage of, which isn't really hard given this set's general lack of checks and counters. Knowing that, Fire Blast would definitely help accomplish this task, as you wouldn't have to be forced out right as a Scizor or Skarmory comes in. You say that Specially Defensive Skarmory can come in to wall this set (which, to an extent, is true, as my own Skarmory has been able to survive Fire Blasts from DDMence as well), but I don't think it's worth replacing the slot completely. Skarmory has to be at near full health to survive it, and most carry Shed Shell as well, so Stealth Rock will usually keep Skarmory's health in the mid 80's range anyways. Also, a +1 LO Outrage from +Atk Salamence can actually 2HKO Skarmory without any Defense investment.

Given that I think Fire Blast should be the first option, I see your reasoning behind the other options you provided as well. I'll definitely keep Roost in, as Earthquake generally hits most Steel-types harder than Fire Blast after a boost anyways.

I also think Dragon Claw has merit on this set, as I've heard people state that if Salamence can't get locked into Outrage, they had trouble beating this set. I think mentioning it over either Outrage or Roost would be fine, so let me know what you think of that.

Finally, as far as natures go, I don't really see a reason to not keep a -SpD nature as the primary option. The first thing to note is that physical attacks are usually the ones used to revenge kill this set (i.e. Scizor's Bullet Punch and Jirachi's Ice Punch). Even with a neutral nature, Salamence still won't be surviving Ice Beams from bulky Waters and Scarf Latias's Draco Meteor, among other things. I don't think maintaining a higher Special Defense for no reason is worth missing a possible KO on Skarmory. The only advantage I see is not being 2HKOed by ScarfTran's Fire Blast, but most players usually switch in Salamence (into it) after something has fainted anyways.

RaikouLover said:
[SET]
move 2: Fire Blast / Flamethrower

Flamethrower should be included. Fire Blast's only perk is a OHKO on Metagross. But against everything else there are no notable OHKOs IIRC, and having a 100% accurate special move is very helpful against weakened pokemon that you don't want to Meteor against.

Also highlighted EVs because I feel like the 80 Atk EVs aren't accomplishing anything. With no investment, Salamence still easily 2HKOs Blissey with Brick Break, and since Draco Meteor + Brick Break is not a 2HKO, those EVs just seem like a waste and can be better suited for HP.

Personally, I've ran this spread on my teams with 112 HP / 84 Def / 136 SpA, 176 Spe, which gives more physical bulk to abuse Roost and switching in on fighters, as well as the same Special Attack as new Mixmence, which is just enough to 2HKO Suicune and Vaporeon with Stealth Rock and Draco Meteor taking in leftovers into account. Other than that, I think a discussion about the EVs is warrented and this is the perfect place.
I like the suggestion on Flamethrower, as, to be honest, I wasn't aware that Fire Blast didn't grant any additional KO's than Flamethrower did.

Edit: I had to double check this once Joshe brought it up. Fire Blast is needed to OHKO Celebi and SpDef Skarmory after Stealth Rock, so I'm just going to slash it.

As for your EV suggestion, I am going to hold off on that until some more people leave a response. You are right about the 80 Attack EVs being worthless though, as I just confirmed on the Smogon Damage Calculator that Blissey and Heatran are still both 2HKOed. Another thing I ran into with this set is that I was outsped by Jolly Gyarados (which maxes at 287 if i remember correctly), so I think running 288 Speed on this set might be better just so you don't have to switch out. The rest can be allocated into HP I suppose, unless the community prefers your EV spread.

RaikouLover said:
[SET]
name: MixMence v.2
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Outrage / Dragon Claw
move 4: Flamethrower / Dragon Dance
nature: Naive
evs: 16 Atk / 240 SpA / 252 Spe

Okay, I've toyed around with this so many times. I feel like Mixed Dancer and New Mixmence can be merged because they do NOT play differently. In fact, Mixed Dancer is MORE effective if you play it like Mixmence, because the 2nd time your Salamence comes in to Meteor, they will bring in something to sacrifice it, and THAT is when you go for the sweep.

Now, I again feel like Fire Blast is not accomplishing anything Flamethrower wouldn't, especially since you have less special attack than the first and can no longer OHKO Metagross with Fire Blast. Dragon Claw actually has some merit over Outrage, as even with Intimidate you beat other Salamence (without locking yourself in!) and you have an attack to pick off weakened pokemon without lowering your Special Attack. Furthermore, Dragon Claw still will beat Blissey especially when it is a primary attack now, as it does 44.9% MINIMUM to Blissey, meaning you 2HKO with Stealth Rock. Sure, Draco Meteor + Outrage will 2HKO Blissey, but against a stall team they WANT you to Outrage and will switch in the appropriate steel to end your tirade.

I can understand if the sets remain separate so you can remove Dragon Dance, but I definately feel like having used this extensively, Dragon Claw as extreme benefits and deserves a mention, as does Flamethrower over Fire Blast.
I like your suggestions here as well, although I'm going to hold off on merging this set and the Mixed Dancer until more people provide some feedback. I will include Flamethrower and Dragon Claw as options though.

RaikouLover said:
[SET]
name: Physically Bulky
move 2: Dragon Claw
move 3: Earthquake / Fire Blast / Roar
item: Leftovers
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 Spe

First off, I think this set is more widely used than Choice Band and Choice Scarf so should be higher up.

Okay, Adamant and Jolly both use different spreads, but in general Adamant is always a better nature for Salamence since your speed is not above what can be achieved with a neutral nature. Now here are my suggestions:

Using an Adamant nature I would go with this spread:

216 HP / 16 Atk / 100 Def / 176 Spe

This should be familiar since it is similar to the original bulky Gyarados spread. Now, the significance is that you have the same Speed as the original bulky Salamence spread listed, but you gain 35 more points of attack. You take hits worse, but you still wall what you need to and counter Luke.

The reason why I suggest Fire Blast as an option is that even with a hindering nature, many teams are weak to Skarmory and you 2HKO all varients with Fire Blast. Fire Blast will also do roughly 85% to Lucario and OHKO Scizor, who is an increasingly common switch in to Salamence. If you run Fire Blast, mention that since you no longer beat Heatran, this spread is more optimal:

216 HP / 180 Def / 112 Spe

This gives you 264 Speed and a ton of bulk (almost as much as before). You outspeed everything not holding a scarf after a single dragon dance. I would not worry about Lucario as Ice Punch is extremely rare, Lucario always Extremespeeds, and it won't be beating you either way.

Roar also is an interesting option. Bulkymence benefits Semi-stall teams, and Roar turns any and all Taunt-less Skarmory into set-up fodder as it can't phaze you out.

Also, a bulky Salamence should not have Outrage :(.
I'll comment on the EV spread first. Although you state that giving up part of your Defense to boost your Attack is worth it since you still counter the same stuff, do you think you could explain how the 35 Attack points help Salamence? Do they help grant any notable KO's without the extra investment?

Personally, I don't think Fire Blast should be an option on this set. Without Earthquake, Pokemon like Metagross and Heatran can actually counter you quite well, and I don't like betting on an 85% accurate move to take down Lucario. Skarmory can be taken out by other means, and it's not like it can do much to this set other than Brave Bird (and if it runs Taunt it likely won't be running Brave Bird, so you still get to Roost upon switching in).

I'll hold off on the Roar tidbit, since I find that Salamence is vulnerable to too many common attacking types (Ice, Rock, and Dragon) to actually pull off the set. Swampert has higher Defenses than this, plus only one weakness, which Gyarados (which has similar typing to this) can at least heal status and just Sleep Talk Roar. Definitely need some more opinions though.

RaikouLover said:
[SET]
name: Specially Bulky
move 2: Dragon Claw / Outrage
item: Leftovers / Life Orb / Lum Berry
evs: 236 HP / 64 Atk / 116 SpD / 92 Spe

This set sucks, to put it bluntly. Dragonite does it better, and the other question is.. why would you use this over ANY of the other sets? Dragon Dance Mence is OHKOing (or coming damn near close so get some resid damage) all the bulky Ice Beam users that can beat it anyway... I would scrap this altogether, as I've NEVER seen this used.. ever.
I'm going to be removing this set since you brought it up. From the times I've used it, it was still hard to set up on bulky Ice Beam users. As you said, Dragonite pulls this set off better anyways.

And...

Colonel_M said:
Many reasons to use it over Dragonite. Speed and Intimidate, in particular.
I don't really think what you've provided is worth the value of this set. Given Dragonite's better higher bulk, it has a more likely chance of nabbing additional Dragon Dances than Salamence in the long run, making up for the Speed issue. Intimidate isn't worth it either, as it will only help set up on the initial switch-in on physical attackers.

Back to RL...

RaikouLover said:
[SET]
name: Diverse Dancer
evs: 232 HP / 16 Atk / 84 Def / 176 Spe

With those EVs, you get 389 HP, 341 Attack, 217 Defense, and 280 Speed. With your huge HP Investment, you have enough bulk to beat Lucario, and it makes a decent switch into Heatran and things like HP Iceless Infernape. So its a good mix of defensive and offensive capabilities. Outrage is viable on a set like this obviously with Life Orb for those that prefer it, and Roost keeps it around long enough to switch into threats and threaten a sweep.
Hmm. I'm going to hold off on some comments on this too, since I might want to test it before deciding anything on it. On paper, it seems fine though, as long as you could specify a little bit on what the Defenses help accomplish other than what you've listed. Actually, the only difference between this set and the Physically Bulky set is Life Orb over Leftovers, except with slightly less defensive potential.

RaikouLover said:
Now, I've given a myriad of things to discuss because this analysis needs to be able to represent the best that Salamence has to offer, especially with all the buzz surrounding it as a suspect.
Thanks for your input.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set makes use of Salamence's excellent overall stats and set of decent resistances to set up and sweep with a combination of Dragon Dance and Outrage. A +1 Life Orb Outrage is capable of 2HKOing every Pokemon in OU bar select Steel-types, such as physically defensive Skarmory. Earthquake is required to break through grounded Steel-types, such as Metagross and Heatran, who resist Outrage. Finally, Fire Blast handles Scizor, Forretress, and Skarmory, all of whom Earthquake only hits for neutral damage. Roost is also an option for recovering recoil damage from Life Orb and Stealth Rock, while also letting Salamence act as a counter (in lieu of simply a check) to Fighting- and Ground-types; however, having a way to dispose of the aforementioned Pokemon will be necessary. As for other options, Dragon Claw works as a secondary STAB without Outrage's self-locking drawbacks, while Stone Edge KOes Zapdos and offensive Gyarados after Stealth Rock damage. Dragon Claw can go over either Outrage or Fire Blast, while Stone Edge should always go in the fourth slot.</p>

<p>The given EVs ensure that Fire Blast will always OHKO 252/0 Impish Skarmory, while tying with other base 100s. The preference between Naive and Naughty comes down to whether you prefer to at least tie with revenge killing threats such as Choice Scarf Jirachi after a Dragon Dance or deal more damage to defensive walls, such as Swampert. For example, a max Attack Outrage stands at a 20% chance of OHKOing 252/252 Relaxed Swampert after Stealth Rock. When not running Fire Blast, Salamence should be given a Jolly or Adamant nature with an EV spread of 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe.</p>

<p>This set's biggest problem is going to be Steel-types, which, thanks to their high Defense and resistance to Outrage, can often prevent Salamence from sweeping. Magnezone is a highly recommended partner, who can switch into the more threatening Steel-types, such as Scizor, Skarmory, Jirachi, and Bronzong, and KO them with Thunderbolt. Carrying a Pokémon to lure out Steel-types beforehand is a must, or else Salamence will be too weak to pull off a sweep if it switches in too many times into Stealth Rock. Gengar is a good choice to accomplish this task, which can either scout for Choiced attacks with Protect or KO the Steel-types itself with Hidden Power Fire. In general, Gengar is great at weakening the opponent's Pokémon into Outrage's KO range.</p>

<p>Although with proper support, Salamence can usually sweep on its own, you may also wish to consider partners capable of sweeping with the holes Salamence makes on the opponent's team. Since Salamence lures out bulky Water-types quite easily, using a Choice Scarf Heatran with this set will make it difficult for the opponent to counter both it and Salamence. Alternatively, Steel-types, such as Lucario and Metagross, can also set up on the usual attacks used to revenge kill this set.</p>

[SET]
move 2: Fire Blast

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set is aimed to use both of Salamence's excelling attacking stats to break apart stall teams and should specifically be used on teams which have trouble against them. Salamence finds an easy time switching into resisted attacks, allowing it to begin firing off Draco Meteors at the opponent. Fire Blast provides Salamence with an option to hit Steel-types for super effective, while Brick Break will ensure the 2HKO on Blissey and Heatran after Stealth Rock damage. Note that Flamethrower can also be used over Fire Blast, but the lower Base Power is often not worth Fire Blast's decreased accuracy. For the last slot, Roost ensures that Salamence will stick around, while also making Stealth Rock a lesser issue. Crunch is an alternative option if you want to KO Cresselia and Dusknoir after they switch into a Draco Meteor, but it will find little use outside of that.</p>

<p>A Rash nature and max Special Attack is recommended to allow Salamence to hit as hard as possible. 176 Speed EVs allow Salamence to outpace Adamant Lucario, making it an excellent check to it, as a +1 Life Orb ExtremeSpeed will never KO Salamence after Stealth Rock damage. The leftover EVs are placed into Attack to boost Brick Break's power. One can feel free to experiment with different EV spreads to suit a team's specific needs. Life Orb is a must on this set, as without it, Salamence will not attain any of the KOs mentioned.</p>

<p>Given this set's specific objective is to weaken stall, teammates for this set should aim to sweep teams weakened by Salamence's assault. Life Orb Starmie is a great partner for this set, as it single handedly beats stall once Blissey has been sufficiently weakened, while against offensive teams, Starmie will find an easy time switching in against the usual Bullet Punch and Ice-type attacks aimed at Salamence. Agility Metagross and Swords Dance Lucario are also effective partners, as both can set up on the attacks used to revenge kill Salamence, and both will appreciate Salamence's weakening of Swampert and Gyarados. Although not necessary, having a way to prevent or get rid of Stealth Rock will lessen the stress placed on Salamence to repeatedly heal. Both Azelf and Aerodactyl can use Taunt against slower leads to prevent Stealth Rock.</p>

[SET]
name: New MixMence
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Outrage

<p>This set trades the specific stall-breaking ability of the previous set for the ability to deal raw damage from both sides of the attacking spectrum. One will notice that this set does lack recovery and has to deal with the possibility of being stuck on Outrage, but the use of both Draco Meteor and Outrage is enough to place immediate pressure on just about every offensive team. Obviously, Draco Meteor and Outrage both provide Salamence with solid STAB. Earthquake is required to hit Steel-types, such as Heatran, for super effective damage, while Fire Blast takes care of foes like Skarmory and Bronzong. Roost is a possible option over Outrage, but you'd be better off running the previous set if longevity is your preference.</p>

<p>Most of the partners from the previous set work here as well. Running Life Orb Starmie with Rapid Spin as a lead gives you a good chance of eliminating Stealth Rock early in the game, allowing Salamence to switch in with less risk. Having a Pokemon that lures out Scizor or Jirachi, such as Gengar, along with a Magnezone lessens the risk that Salamence will have to switch out or that it will be KOed if stuck into using Outrage. Agility Metagross and Dragon Dance Gyarados can set up on the Steel- and Ice-type attacks, usually used to revenge kill Salamence, and proceed to sweep.</p>

[SET]
name: Mixed Dancer
move 3: Draco Meteor
move 4: Earthquake / Fire Blast
nature: Naughty / Naive

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The most effective tactic when using this set is to Dragon Dance right off the bat, boosting the power of Outrage and allowing you to outspeed normally faster threats. From this point, one should choose the appropriate move depending on the opponent's reaction to Salamence. Draco Meteor will do huge amounts of damage to various physical walls, and having seen Dragon Dance, the likes of Gyarados, Hippowdon, and Swampert will be taken completely by surprise from your strong special attack. Blissey is highly unlikely to switch into a Salamence with a Dragon Dance under its belt, so your special attack should hit its mark, enabling you to use Outrage freely once the initial counter is removed. One of the best advantages of this set is that Salamence will not be forced to Outrage immediately after having Danced up, meaning the common strategy of letting it "Outrage into a Steel" is rendered ineffective.</p>

<p>Running a positive Attack nature will ensure you make the most of Salamence's naturally high Attack stat, and allows it to sweep very easily with Outrage after a Dragon Dance. Max Special Attack with a neutral nature guarantees OHKOs on max HP Zapdos and min HP Gyarados after Stealth Rock damage. 176 Speed EVs hit 280 Speed, allowing Salamence to serve as a reliable check against Adamant Lucario and non-Scarfed Heatran before using Dragon Dance, while also allowing it to outspeed Scarfed versions of said Heatran and everything slower after boosting its own Speed. A Naive nature can be run on this set if you so wish; you will lose power on Outrage but will be able to Speed tie with 90 base Speed Pokémon and outspeed Timid Scarf Rotom-H after a Dragon Dance. Notably, a Naive nature and a Dragon Dance will still OHKO the standard 148/252 Calm Blissey with Outrage, assuming Stealth Rock is on the field.</p>

<ul class=”damage_calculation”>
<li>Draco Meteor vs. max HP / min SpD Hippowdon: 82.9 - 97.4%</li>
<li>Draco Meteor vs. max HP / min SpD Zapdos: 75.0 - 88.5% (OHKO with Stealth Rock)</li>
<li>Draco Meteor vs. min HP / SpD Gyarados: 79.8 - 94.3% (OHKO with Stealth Rock)</li>
<li>+1 Outrage vs. 148 HP / max Def Blissey: 100%</li>
<li>+1 Earthquake vs. max HP / min Def Metagross: 93.4 - 100% (92.3% chance to OHKO with Stealth Rock)</li>
<li>+1 Earthquake vs. max HP / min Def Tyranitar: 97.0 - 100% (OHKO with Stealth Rock)</li>
</ul>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Outrage
move 4: Dragon Claw / Stone Edge / Aqua Tail
item: Choice Band
evs: 248 Atk / 8 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Outrage is a given for its ability to hit everything but Steel-types for neutral damage. Earthquake and Fire Blast complement Outrage by hitting all of the Steel-types which resist Outrage for super effective. For the last slot, Dragon Claw is a nice STAB alternative to Outrage early game, as you won't have to worry about getting locked in. Stone Edge works great if you need to dispatch of Flying-types, such as Zapdos and Gyarados, while Aqua Tail hits bulky Ground-types such as Hippowdon and Gliscor for super effective. Really, any combination of the given attacks work here, depending on what you'd like Salamence to beat one-on-one for your team.</p>

<p>A Naive nature is used to get the jump on neutral Speed-natured base 100 Pokémon and positive Speed natured base 90s, while not weakening the power of Fire Blast; although Naughty is still a viable option to increase Salamence's Attack to guarantee 2HKOs on bulkier Pokémon, such as Hippowdon. Alternatively, you can run a nature that does not affect your defenses and simply opt for Fire Fang. Maximum Attack and Speed should be rather obvious, while the small investment in Special Attack guarantees Salamence 2HKOes 252 HP / 0 SpD Bold Celebi with Fire Blast after Stealth Rock damage.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Naughty
evs: 252 Atk / 80 SpA / 176 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Having a way to lure and take down Steel-types works wonders for this set, as Outrage can simply annihilate everything else thereafter. Magnezone is undoubtedly the best partner to this set, as it can beat every Steel-type bar Heatran and Lucario on its own, provided it has Magnet Rise to evade the occasional Earthquake. Entry hazard support in the form of Stealth Rock, and when possible, Spikes, helps wear down the opponent into Outrage's KO range. Smeargle is an effective entry hazard lead, capable of laying down both, while Aerodactyl is the fastest lead capable of solely laying down Stealth Rock. Choice Band Scizor makes an excellent partner for cleaning up after Salamence goes down, given its access to the strongest priority in OU and great typing.</p>

[SET]
nature: Jolly

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs provide Salamence with maximum durability on the physical end of the defensive spectrum, while at the same time, being able to outspeed neutral base 90's, most notably Lucario. After a Dragon Dance, Salamence will also be able to outpace positively natured Choiced Scarf Heatran. An alternative spread is 192 HP / 140 Def / 176 Spe with a Jolly nature, which ensures that Salamence will outpace all base 90's, as well as Jolly Gyarados. Finally, an Adamant nature with a Life Orb can also be used, but having to recover more often might serve as a liability to some.</p>

<p>Magnezone is the number one partner to this set, as it will always take down non-Shed Shell Skarmory and Bronzong 100% of the time, raising Salamence's chance of pulling off an effective sweep. Although the sandstorm may seem like an issue, Expert Belt Tyranitar is also an effective partner for this set, as it can beat Choice Scarf Latias and Starmie, both capable of outpacing Salamence, with Pursuit. Tyranitar also comes with a bonus of luring in Skarmory and Scizor and taking them down with Fire Blast, should you not wish to use Magnezone support. Finally, Spikes support helps in weakening down grounded Steel- and Water-type switch-ins, both of which can cause trouble for this set. Specially Defensive Skarmory can set up Spikes on most of the OU tier while also providing Salamence with a nice Dragon-type resist.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs ensure that this Salamence will survive an unSTABed Hidden Power Ice from 359 Special Attack, such as from Timid Choice Scarf Gengar, or Ice Beam from 269 Special Attack (like from who?). 92 Speed EVs makes 259 Speed, sufficient to outrun Modest Choice Scarf Heatran after a single Dragon Dance, effectively putting the latter into a checkmate position. Naive variants fail to KO Salamence, allowing you to nab an extra boost. 64 Attack EVs guarantee that 404 HP / 361 Def Suicune is 2HKOed with Outrage after Stealth Rock damage. If you opt to use Dragon Claw, you may want to consider investing slightly more in Attack.</p>

<p>Partners to this set do not differ much from the physically bulky spread, as you're objective is still to set up and sweep. Starmie can serve as a good way of eliminating Stealth Rock from the field, thanks to Rapid Spin, while Spikers, such as Skarmory and Forretress, can weaken both Water- and Steel-type switch-ins. Another thing to keep in mind is that Salamence aims to beat bulky Waters on its own (made even easier by the aforementioned Spikes support), so running a teammate with such counters works wonders for this set. Agility Metagross can set up on the Ice-, Dragon-, and Steel-type attacks often used to revenge kill Salamence and proceed to sweep with Swampert and friends out of the way.</p>

[SET]
name: FatMence
move 1: Roost
move 2: Wish / Toxic
move 3: Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
move 4: Flamethrower
nature: Timid

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>In contrast to the other sets, which focus on sweeping, this particular Salamence focuses on supporting your team, while taking hits from the likes of Lucario and other Fighting-types. Both Wish and Toxic make Salamence a team player, both of which will allow the rest of your team to outstall the opponent (depending on your strategy).</p>

Perhaps mention Roar?

<p>This Salamence works best on defensive teams revolving around entry hazards, given the fact it forces lots of switches. As such, Forretress makes an excellent partner to this set. Forretress can not only spin away Stealth Rock with Rapid Spin, but it can also lay down both Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Furthermore, Forretress is an excellent switch-in to the Dragon- and Ice-type attacks aimed at Salamence, which in return packs a resist to the Fire-type attacks aimed at Forretress. Swampert can lay down Stealth Rock, while at the same time covering Salamence's Rock-type weakness. Salamence can also provide both Forretress and Swampert with much needed Wish support. Finally, don't forget to pack something to cover Heatran, which completely walls this set.</p>

[Team Options]
<p>As with most other sweepers, Salamence greatly benefits from entry hazards, which allows it to net specific KOs it would otherwise miss. Stealth Rock is the most vital here, while at the same time being the easiest to set up. To note some examples, Stealth Rock ensures that Salamence will OHKO Gyarados and Zapdos with a +1 Life Orb Outrage. Many Pokemon are capable of laying down Stealth Rock, so it mainly depends on the type of team you are running. Aerodactyl works great on hyper offense teams, while Swampert and Metagross are more suitable for defensive or balanced teams. Spikes and Toxic Spikes should be considered as well, primarily because they help weaken bulky Water-type switch-ins. Both Skarmory and Smeargle are among the best Spikers in OU, while Roserade makes a reliable Pokemon for laying down Toxic Spikes. Finally, dual screens may help in easing set-up. Azelf and Metagross are capable of setting them up fairly easily.</p>

<p>Salamence will have trouble sweeping past Steel-types, particularly because they can come in while it's locked into Outrage and either KO it or phaze it out and force it to take more Stealth Rock damage upon switching back in. Magnezone is a reliable partner for eliminating every Steel-type bar Heatran, Lucario, and some variants of Metagross; if equipped with Choice Scarf, Magnezone can even revenge kill Lucario if needed. Since Salamence focuses on wearing down the opponent's team if it doesn't manage to sweep itself, a lategame sweeper should be paired with the more offensive sets. Life Orb Gengar manages to pull off an easy sweep after Scizor and Metagross have been sufficiently weakened. Other sweepers, such as Swords Dance Lucario, can set up on the usual Dragon- or Ice-type attacks used to revenge kill Salamence and proceed to sweep.</p>

<p>Defensively, Salamence struggles against Dragon-, Rock-, and Ice-type attacks, which hit it for super effective damage. As such, Steel-types make the best partners for this set in the given department, as they resist all three of the listed types of attacks. Jirachi packs great base 100 defenses to repeatedly switch into such attacks, while also being able to take down opposing users of the move with its great availability to attacks, such as Iron Head and Ice Punch. Jirachi can also lure in Steel-types and KO them with Fire Punch, or if you wish to take a more defensive route, it can also pass Wishes to Salamence sets lacking Roost. Salamence, in return, can switch into the usual Ground- and Fire-type attacks aimed at Jirachi.</p>

[EVs]
<p>Due to Salamence's stat distribution and Intimidate, he can really be EVed to accomplish just about anything. For the more complicated spreads, you'll want to use what was recommended prior to accomplish the specific goals listed. Generally speaking, you'll want to either pump Salamence's offenses or play up its defenses to capitalize on Intimidate. Generally, you'll either want to run a Speed stat of 280 to outpace Adamant Lucario or a max Speed stat of 328 to tie with +Speed base 100's. Running a neutral nature with max Speed is also acceptable on the Dragon Dance sets, but automatically losing to Choice Scarf Jirachi is not worth it on the long run, so a higher Speed stat is preferred.</p>

[Opinion]
<p>Salamence is arguably one of the biggest threats in DPP, since it can hit very hard from both ends of the spectrum without needing to set up. There is literally no counter to Salamence until you know its moveset, and even then it can be a challenge to take. Its versatility makes it a fantastic early, mid and lategame Pokémon as well, which is not something you can say about a lot of Pokémon. If you use it wisely, Salamence should win you a lot of battles; however, it's not without its faults. You will have to account for both Stealth Rock and sandstorm, since non-Leftovers Salamence will take a minimum 31.25% damage from both (combined) every time it switches in, and this is assuming it is untouched by your opponent's Pokémon. More often than not, residual damage will be Salamence's worst enemy.</p>

[Counters]

<p>There are also hard counters for each set, although it should be noted said counters will lose to other variants. Hippowdon and Swampert work well against the Dragon Dance sets, as both can survive a +1 Life Orb Outrage and either phaze out Salamence with Roar or KO it with Ice Fang or Ice Beam, respectively. Vaporeon and Bold Blissey do decently against the MixMence versions, although both require Ice Beam to do anything of significance in return; Wish stalling will only work against the Roost-lacking variants.</p>

<p>For the Choice Band and Choice Scarf sets, defensively oriented walls, such as Hippowdon, Gliscor, and most Steel-types, are your best bet, although the former two risk a 2HKO from Aqua Tail. For the bulky Dragon Dancers, they are utterly walled by Skarmory and Bronzong, and can be forced out by bulky Waters, such as Swampert and Suicune. Finally, for the FatMence set, Heatran is your best bet against it, since it resists both Draco Meteor and Dragon Pulse and actually benefits from Flamethrower, not to mention it is also immune to Toxic.</p>

Bold = Change
Italic = Take Out
Underline = Add

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set makes use of Salamence's excellent overall stats and set of decent resistances to set up and sweep with a combination of Dragon Dance and Outrage. A +1 Life Orb Outrage is capable of 2HKOing every Pokemon in OU bar select Steel-types such as physically defensive Skarmory. Earthquake is required to break through grounded Steel-types, such as Metagross and Heatran, who resist Outrage. Finally, Fire Blast handles Scizor, Forretress, and Skarmory, all of whom Earthquake only hits for neutral damage. Roost is also an option for recovering recoil damage from Life Orb and Stealth Rock while also letting Salamence act as a counter (in lieu of simply a check) to Fighting- and Ground-types; however, having a way to dispose of the aforementioned pokemon is necessary. As for other options, Dragon Claw works well as a secondary STAB without Outrage's self-locking drawbacks while Stone Edge OHKOes Zapdos and offensive Gyarados after Stealth Rock damage. Dragon Claw can go over either Outrage or Fire Blast while Stone Edge should always go in the fourth slot.</p>

<p>The given EVs ensure that Fire Blast will always OHKO 252/0 Impish Skarmory while tying with other base 100s. The preference between Naive and Naughty comes down to whether you prefer to at least tie with revenge killing threats such as Choice Scarf Jirachi or deal more damage to defensive walls such as Swampert. For example, a max Attack Outrage stands a 20% chance of OHKOing 252/252 Relaxed Swampert after Stealth Rock. When not running Fire Blast, Salamence should be given a Jolly or Adamant nature with an EV spread of 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe.</p>

<p>Life Orb is the preferred item, granting Salamence several OHKOs which it could otherwise not attain. Yache Berry can be used to survive an unSTABed Ice-type attack and net a second Dragon Dance, but there is only a .05x power difference between a +1 Life Orb and a +2 boosted attack so it's often not worth it, especially against foes without an Ice-type attack. Lum Berry can be used if status is of concern to you, taking into account Outrage's confusion-causing side effect.</p>

<p>This set's biggest problem is going to be Steel-types, which, thanks to their high Defense and resistance to Outrage, can often prevent Salamence from sweeping. Magnezone is a highly recommended partner who can switch into the more threatening Steel-types, such as Scizor, Skarmory, Jirachi, and Bronzong, and KO them with Thunderbolt. Carrying a Pokémon to lure out Steel-types beforehand is a must, else Salamence will be too weak to pull off a sweep if it switches in too many times into Stealth Rock. Gengar is a good choice to accomplish this task, who can either scout for Choiced attacks with Protect or KO the Steel-types itself with Hidden Power Fire. In general, Gengar is great at weakening the opponent's Pokémon into Outrage's KO range.</p>

<p>Although with proper support, Salamence can usually sweep on its own, you may also wish to consider partners capable of sweeping with the holes Salamence makes on the opponent's team. Since Salamence lures out bulky Water-types quite easily, using a Choice Scarf Heatran with this set will make it difficult for the opponent to counter both it and Salamence. Alternatively, Steel-types such as Lucario and Metagross can also set up on the usual attacks used to revenge kill this set.</p>

[SET]
move 2: Fire Blast

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set is aimed to use both of Salamence's excelling attacking stats to break apart stall teams and should specifically be used on teams which have trouble against them. Salamence finds an easy time switching into resisted attacks, allowing it to begin firing off Draco Meteors at the opponent. Fire Blast provides Salamence with an option to hit Steel-types for super effective, while Brick Break will ensure the 2HKO on Blissey and Heatran after Stealth Rock damage. Note that Flamethrower can also be used over Fire Blast, but the lower base power is often not worth Fire Blast's decreased accuracy. For the last slot, Roost ensures that Salamence will stick around while also making Stealth Rock a lesser issue. Crunch is an alternative option if you want to KO Cresselia and Dusknoir after they switch into a Draco Meteor, but it will find little use outside of that.</p>

<p>A Rash nature and max Special Attack is provided to allow Salamence to hit as hard as possible. 176 Speed EVs allow Salamence to outpace Adamant Lucario, making it an excellent check to it as a +1 Life Orb Extremespeed will never KO Salamence after Stealth Rock damage. The leftover EVs are placed in Attack to boost Brick Break's power. One can feel free to experiment with different EV spreads to suit a team's specific needs. Life Orb is a must on this set, as without it, Salamence will not attain any of the KOs mentioned.</p>

<p>A common misconception is that Draco Meteor can be used haphazardly on this set to break apart stall, but a specific strategy is required to actually do so. Salamence should be switched into a Pokémon that will be forced out, such as Skarmory. A standard stall player will switch out to a Pokémon that can absorb Fire Blast easily, so using another move is often better, such as Brick Break for Blissey or Draco Meteor for Swampert. Although Brick Break does 2HKO Blissey, Brick Break won't KO it after a Fire Blast, by which time Blissey will have crippled Salamence with Toxic or Thunder Wave. Once Blissey has been worn down, Draco Meteor can be used with less risk to break apart the opponent's team. Be warned that Roost cannot be haphazardly used either; it should be used only when the opponent's regular switch-in to Salamence is weakened enough to be KO'd after you use Roost on the switch.</p>

<p>Given this set's specific objective is to weaken stall, teammates for this set should aim to sweep teams weakened by Salamence's assault. Life Orb Starmie is a great partner for this set, as it single-handedly beats stall once Blissey has been sufficiently weakened, while against offensive teams, Starmie will find an easy time switching in against the usual Bullet Punch and Ice-type attack aimed at Salamence. Agility Metagross and Swords Dance Lucario are also effective partners, as both can set up on the attacks used to revenge kill Salamence, and both will appreciate Salamence's weakening of Swampert and Gyarados. Although not necessary, having a way to prevent or get rid of Stealth Rock will lessen the stress placed on Salamence to repeatedly heal. Both Azelf and Aerodactyl can use Taunt against slower leads to prevent Stealth Rock.</p>

[SET]
name: New MixMence
move 4: Outrage

<p>This set trades the specific stall-breaking ability of the previous set for the ability to deal raw damage from both sides of the attacking spectrum. One will notice that this set does lack recovery and has to deal with the possibility of being stuck on Outrage, but the use of both Draco Meteor and Outrage is enough to place immediate pressure on just about every offensive team. Obviously, Draco Meteor and Outrage both provide Salamence with solid STAB. Earthquake is required to hit Steel-types such as Heatran for super effective, while Fire Blast takes care of foes like Skarmory and Bronzong. Roost is a possible option over Outrage, but you'd be better off running the previous set if longevity is your preference.</p>

<p>The given EVs ensure that Salamence hits as hard as possible with Draco Meteor and will, at the worst, tie with other base 100s. 16 Attack EVs are recommended as they will allow Salamence to 2HKO Blissey with a combination of Draco Meteor and Outrage after Stealth Rock damage. Life Orb is a must to allow Salamence to hit as hard as possible. A Naive nature is recommended as Intimidate allows Salamence to serve as a good check to physical threats like Swords Dance Lucario. There are other alternative spreads available as well. Running 84 Atk / 216 SpA / 208 Spe with a Mild nature allows Salamence to KO Cresselia with a combination of Stealth Rock and Draco Meteor followed by two successive Outrages, as Ice Beam will fail to KO Salamence. With this spread, Salamence also outpaces Gyarados prior to a Dragon Dance.</p>

<p>Most of the partners from the previous set work here as well. Running Life Orb Starmie with Rapid Spin as a lead gives you a good chance of eliminating Stealth Rock early in the game, allowing Salamence to switch in with less risk. Having a Pokemon that lures out Scizor or Jirachi, such as Gengar, along with a Magnezone lessens the risk that Salamence will have to switch out or that it will be KOed if locked into Outrage. Agility Metagross and Dragon Dance Gyarados can set up on the Steel- and Ice-type attacks usually used to revenge kill Salamence and proceed to sweep.</p>

[SET]
name: Mixed Dancer
move 3: Draco Meteor
move 4: Earthquake / Fire Blast
nature: Naughty / Naive

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set aims to take full advantage of Salamence's unpredictability (maybe versatility > unpredictability?) and superb mixed base attacking stats. It seeks to lure in physically defensive Pokémon that would be called upon to counter a standard Dragon Dancer, such as Hippowdon and Swampert, and slam them with a surprise special attack, freeing Salamence to use Outrage on a more susceptible target. Furthermore, this set aims to rectify the common problems that halt a Salamence sweep, be it MixMence's relative incapability of damaging special walls without predicting a switch in, or the Dragon Dancer's difficulty with taking on more physically defensive Pokémon.</p>

<p>The most effective tactic when using this set is to Dragon Dance off the bat, boosting the power of Outrage and allowing you to outspeed normally faster threats. From this point, one should choose the appropriate move depending on the opponent's reaction to Salamence. Draco Meteor will do huge amounts of damage to various physical walls, and having seen Dragon Dance, the likes of Gyarados, Hippowdon, and Swampert will be taken completely by surprise from your strong special attack. Blissey is highly unlikely to switch into a Salamence with a Dragon Dance under its belt, so your special attack should hit its mark, enabling you to use Outrage freely once the initial counter is removed. One of the best advantages of this set is that Salamence will not be forced to Outrage immediately after having Danced up, meaning the common strategy of letting it "Outrage into a Steel" is rendered ineffective.</p>

<p>The last slot is dedicated to a coverage move to help out against the Steel-types that resist Salamence's Dragon attacks. While Fire Blast may seem like the superior choice here at an initial glance, Earthquake will generally provide Salamence with stronger and more consistent damage. The majority of the time, Salamence will find itself having Dragon Danced and Draco Meteored once already when it comes face to face with an opposing Steel-type, meaning attacking from a +1 Attack stat as compared to a -2 Special Attack stat is far more effective, not to mention that it gives Salamence a way of dealing with Heatran. However, this does leave Salamence with the problem of not being able to hit Skarmory and Bronzong for neutral damage.</p>

<p>Running a positive Attack nature will ensure you make the most of Salamence's naturally high Attack stat, and allows it to sweep very easily with Outrage after a Dragon Dance. Max Special Attack with a neutral nature guarantees OHKOs on max HP Zapdos and min HP Gyarados after Stealth Rock damage. 176 Speed EVs hit 280 Speed, allowing Salamence to serve as a reliable check against Adamant Lucario and non-Scarfed Heatran before using Dragon Dance, while also allowing it to outspeed Scarfed versions of said Heatran and everything slower after boosting its own Speed. A Naive nature can be run on this set if you so wish; you will lose power on Outrage but will be able to Speed tie with 90 base Speed Pokémon and outspeed Timid Scarf Rotom-h after a Dragon Dance. Notably, a Naive nature and a Dragon Dance, will still OHKO the standard 148/252 Calm Blissey with Outrage assuming Stealth Rock is on the field.</p>

<p>Pairing this set up with a Magnezone is highly recommended, as it can single-handedly remove Skarmory and Bronzong from the game and give Salamence a clear path to sweep. If you are opposed to using Magnezone, Fire Blast can be used for its ability to hit Celebi notably harder without the need to Outrage; however it is unreliable and will leave you helpless against Heatran. Magnezone also serves as an efficient answer to Scizor, in particular Choice Band versions that try to revenge kill Salamence with Bullet Punch. Lucario pairs up well with this set as well, since it can beat both Skarmory and Bronzong with a boosted Close Combat, and also packs a resistance to Bullet Punch (albeit taking quite a bit of damage from Choice Band Scizor). A Scarf Dugtrio can be employed to beat the majority of Heatran sets, which will allow comfortabe use of Fire Blast in the fourth move slot.</p>

<p>Here are some damage calculations to demonstrate the strength with which this set can hit from both sides of the spectrum (assuming a Naughty nature).</p>

<ul>
<li>Draco Meteor vs. max HP / min SpD Hippowdon: 82.9 - 97.4%</li>
<li>Draco Meteor vs. max HP / min SpD Zapdos: 75.0 - 88.5% (OHKO with Stealth Rock)</li>
<li>Draco Meteor vs. min HP / SpD Gyarados: 79.8 - 94.3% (OHKO with Stealth Rock)</li>
<li>+1 Outrage vs. 148 HP / max Def Blissey: 100%</li>
<li>+1 Earthquake vs. max HP / min Def Metagross: 93.4 - 100% (92.3% chance to OHKO with Stealth Rock)</li>
<li>+1 Earthquake vs. max HP / min Def Tyranitar: 97.0 - 100% (OHKO with Stealth Rock)</li>
</ul>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 4: Dragon Claw / Stone Edge / Aqua Tail
item: Choice Band
evs: 248 Atk / 8 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Although normally of the Dragon Dance variant, Salamence can equip a Choice Band for the ability to deal immediate damage in exchange for being able to switch between attacks and raise its Speed. With a Choice Band equipped, Salamence can catch usual counters to the Dragon Dance set, such as Swampert and Hippowdon, off guard.</p>

<p>Outrage is a given for its ability to hit everything but Steel-types for neutral damage. Earthquake and Fire Blast complement Outrage by hitting all of the Steel-types which resist Outrage for super effective. For the last slot, Dragon Claw is a nice STAB alternative to Outrage early game, as you won't have to worry about getting locked in. Stone Edge works great if you need to dispatch of Flying-types such as Zapdos and Gyarados, while Aqua Tail hits bulky Ground-types such as Hippowdon and Gliscor for super effective damage. Really, any combination of the given attacks works here, depending on what you'd like Salamence to beat one-on-one for your team.</p>

<p>A Naive nature is used to get the jump on neutral Speed-natured base 100 Speed Pokémon and positive Speed natured base 90s, while not weakening the power of Fire Blast; although Naughty is still a viable option to increase Salamence's Attack to guarantee 2HKOs on bulkier Pokémon such as Hippowdon. Alternatively, you can run a nature that does not affect your defenses and simply opt for Fire Fang. Maximum Attack and Speed should be rather obvious while the small investment in Special Attack guarantees Salamence 2HKOes 252 HP / 0 SpD Bold Celebi with Fire Blast after Stealth Rock damage.</p>

<p>This set benefits from teammates which can prevent Stealth Rock, unarguably one of the biggest drawbacks to this set, from being set up. Choice Scarf Smeargle outspeeds all of the relevant leads in OU and cripples them with Spore; even better, most leads don't bother switching out! Although Lum Berry leads have the possibility of laying down Stealth Rock, Smeargle can simply Trick its Choice Scarf onto them to limit their effectiveness. Aside from a Stealth Rock-preventing teammate, Salamence will also want to be paired with a Pokemon capable of countering common Steel-, Water-, and Flying-types. Choice Specs Vaporeon can hit Steel-types for a large amount of damage while taking down Water- and Flying-types with Hidden Power Electric and Ice Beam, respectively. If need be, Vaporeon can also heal Salamence through Wish.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Naughty
evs: 252 Atk / 80 SpA / 176 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Salamence boasts extraordinary offensive prowess on both ends of the attacking spectrum, but its Speed sometimes falls short of what is necessary, so a mixed Choice Scarf set is natural. Such a Salamence is well-suited for sweeping late-game, when most opposing Pokémon are weakened; Outrage is perfectly tailored for cleaning up, and Earthquake and Fire Blast ensure that no Pokémon is capable of resisting Salamence's attacks. Hydro Pump rounds out this set nicely considering it easily 2HKOes Hippowdon, Donphan, and Gliscor, Pokémon that would otherwise give this set problems. Draco Meteor is usable over another move, likely Hydro Pump.</p>

<p>Maximizing Salamence's Attack gives it just enough power to 2HKO all Vaporeon after integrating Stealth Rock damage and Leftovers recovery. The 176 Speed EVs result in 280 Speed, outrunning all base 90 Speed Pokémon not possessing a Speed-boosting nature, and Timid Heatran along the way. The remainder is invested in Special Attack to provide a boost to Fire Blast and Hydro Pump, though it doesn't convert any significant 3HKOs into 2HKOs or 2HKOs into OHKOs. Another option is simply to run max Attack and Speed along with a Naive nature, in the case you'd rather at least speed tie with Scarfed base 100's.</p>

<p>Having a way to lure and take down Steel-types works wonders for this set, as Outrage can simply annihilate everything else thereafter. Magnezone is undoubtedly the best partner to this set, as it can beat every Steel-type bar Heatran and Lucario on its own, provided it has Magnet Rise to evade the occasional Earthquake. Entry hazards support in the form of Stealth Rock, and when possible, Spikes, helps wear down the opponent into Outrage's KO range. Smeargle is an effective lead capable of laying down both, while Aerodactyl is the fastest lead capable of solely laying down Stealth Rock. Choice Band Scizor makes an excellent partner for cleaning up after Salamence goes down, given its access to the strongest priority in OU and great typing.</p>

[SET]
nature: Jolly

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Salamence is best known for being a fearsome and versatile attacker with both a high Attack and Special Attack stat; however, many people overlook Salamence's decent physical Defense. Coupled with Intimidate, Salamence can act as a check to the most dangerous sweepers of OU, such as Swords Dance Lucario, and even set up on them. However, this ability does come at the price of posing as a less immediate threat to the opponent, but given this set's durability, setting up with Dragon Dance should be a breeze anyways.</p>

<p>The crux of this set is Dragon Dance, which allows Salamence to set up on resisted or weaker physical attacks and attempt to pull off a sweep. Dragon Claw and Earthquake provide Salamence with perfect coverage against everything bar Skarmory and Bronzong. Outrage is also an option over Dragon Claw if you find its power lacking. For the last slot, Roost provides Salamence with much needed longevity, making it much easier to set up and switch in more times without worrying about residual damage from Stealth Rock.</p>

<p>The given EVs provide Salamence with maximum durability on the physical end of the defensive spectrum while at the same time being able to outspeed neutral base 90's, most notably Lucario. After a Dragon Dance, Salamence will also be able to outpace positively natured Choiced Scarf Heatran. An alternative spread is 192 HP / 140 Def / 176 Spe with a Jolly nature, which ensures that Salamence will outpace all base 90's as well as Jolly Gyarados. Finally, an Adamant nature with a Life Orb can also be used, but having to recover more often might serve as a liability to some.</p>

<p>Magnezone is the number one partner to this set as it will always take down non-Shed Shell Skarmory and Bronzong 100% of the time, significantly raising Salamence's chance of pulling off an effective sweep. Although Sandstorm may seem like an issue, Expert Belt Tyranitar is also an effective partner for this set, as it can beat Choice Scarf Latias and Starmie, both capable of outpacing Salamence, with Pursuit. Tyranitar also comes with a bonus of luring in Skarmory and Scizor and taking them down with Fire Blast should you not wish to use Magnezone support. Finally, Spikes support helps in weakening down grounded Steel- and Water-type switch-ins, both of which can cause trouble for this set. Specially Defensive Skarmory can set up Spikes on most of the OU tier while also providing Salamence with a nice Dragon-type resist.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>While the previous set focuses on Salamence's Defense stat to take hits and set up, this set focuses on Salamence's overlooked Special Defense stat. Often enough, players rely on weaker Ice Beams to KO Salamence, which this set attempts to prevent. The goal is simple: set up with Dragon Dance and heal with Roost as needed, and proceed to sweep.</p>

<p>Dragon Claw and Outrage are both viable options, depending on how you want to play Salamence. Dragon Claw, along with either Leftovers or Life Orb, should be used if you want to get in as many Dragon Dances up as possible before attemping to sweep. On the other hand, Outrage along with Lum Berry should be used if you want to sweep after only one boost; Lum Berry ensures that confusion won't get in the way of your sweep. Earthquake is given to KO the Steel-types, bar Skarmory and Bronzong, which resist your Dragon-type attack of choice.</p>

<p>The EVs ensure that this Salamence will survive an unSTABed Hidden Power Ice from 359 Special Attack, such as from Timid Choice Scarf Gengar, or Ice Beam from 269 Special Attack. 92 Speed EVs returns 259, sufficient to outrun Modest Choice Scarf Heatran after a single Dragon Dance, effectively putting the latter into a checkmate position. Naive variants fail to KO Salamence, allowing you to nab an extra boost. 64 Attack EVs guarantee that 404 HP / 361 Def Suicune is 2HKOed with Outrage after Stealth Rock damage. If you opt to use Dragon Claw, you may want to consider investing slightly more in Attack.</p>

<p>An alternative spread for this set, to make it fully special defensive, is to use a Careful nature with Leftovers and an EV spread of 252 HP / 164 SpD / 92 Spe. Leftovers' health recovery gives this Salamence much more survivability, at least nullifying the detrimental effects of possible sandstorm or hail, letting this Salamence switch in more often. 56 HP / 124 Atk / 232 SpD / 92 Spe with an Adamant nature is another alternative for slightly better Special Defensive abilities and will also allow you to 2HKO 444 HP / 372 Def Cresselia with Outrage after a Dragon Dance on average with Stealth Rock damage.</p>

<p>Partners to this set do not differ much from the physically bulky spread, as you're objective is still to set up and sweep. Starmie can serve as a good way of eliminating Stealth Rock off the field thanks to Rapid Spin, while Spikers such as Skarmory and Forretress can weaken both Water- and Steel-type switch-ins. Another thing to keep in mind is that Salamence aims to beat bulky Waters on its own (made even easier by the aforementioned Spikes support), so running a teammate with such counters works wonders for this set. Agility Metagross can set up on the Ice-, Dragon-, and Steel-type attacks often used to revenge kill Salamence and proceed to sweep with Swampert and friends out of the way.</p>

[SET]
name: FatMence
move 1: Roost
move 2: Wish / Toxic
move 3: Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
move 4: Flamethrower
nature: Timid

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>In contrast to the other sets, which focus on sweeping, this particular Salamence focuses on supporting your team while taking hits from the likes of Lucario and other Fighting-types. Both Wish and Toxic make Salamence a team player, both of which will allow the rest of your team to outstall the opponent (depending on your strategy).</p>

<p>The rest of the given options require little explanation. Roost provides Salamence with instant recovery, allowing it to switch in more freely. Both Draco Meteor and Dragon Pulse provide Salamence with a solid Dragon-type STAB move; the former's stat-lowering side effect should be noted however, as Salamence may be forced to switch out after attacking. Flamethrower provides Salamence with a way to take out Steel-types, bar Heatran. Earthquake is also an option over Flamethrower, but giving Skarmory a free switch-in often proves more lethal than with Heatran.</p>

<p>The given EVs provide Salamence with optimum defensive capabilities, while at the same time being able to outpace Adamant Lucario. Outspeeding Jolly Lucario will require 176 Speed EVs.</p>

<p>This Salamence works best on defensive teams revolving around entry hazards, given the fact it forces lots of switches. As such, Forretress makes an excellent partner to this set. Forretress can not only spin away Stealth Rock with Rapid Spin, but it can also lay down both Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Furthermore, Forretress is an excellent switch-in to the Dragon- and Ice-type attacks aimed at Salamence, which in turn packs a resist to the Fire-type attacks aimed at Forretress. Swampert can lay down Stealth Rock, while at the same time covering Salamence's Rock-type weakness. Salamence can also provide both Forretress and Swampert with much needed Wish support. Finally, don't forget to pack something to cover Heatran, which completely walls this set.</p>

[Team Options]
<p>As with most other sweepers, Salamence greatly benefits from entry hazards, which allows it to net specific KOes it would otherwise miss. Stealth Rock is the most vital here, while at the same time being the easiest to set up. To note some examples, Stealth Rock ensures that Salamence will OHKO Gyarados and Zapdos with a +1 Life Orb Outrage. Many Pokemon are capable of laying down Stealth Rock, so it mainly depends on the type of team you are running. Aerodactyl works great on hyper offense teams while Swampert and Metagross are more suitable for defensive teams. Spikes and Toxic Spikes should be considered as well, primarily because they help weaken bulky Water-type switch-ins. Both Skarmory and Smeargle are among the best Spikers in OU, while Roserade makes a reliable Pokemon for laying down Toxic Spikes. Finally, dual screens may help in easing set-up. Azelf and Metagross are capable of setting them up fairly easily.</p>

<p>Salamence will have trouble sweeping past Steel-types, particularly because they can come in while it's locked into Outrage and either KO it or phaze it out and force it to take more Stealth Rock damage upon switching back in. Magnezone is a reliable partner for eliminating every Steel-type bar Heatran, Lucario, and some variants of Metagross; if equipped with Choice Scarf, Magnezone can even revenge kill Lucario if needed. Since Salamence focuses on wearing down the opponent's team if it doesn't manage to sweep itself, a late game sweeper should be paired with the more offensive sets. Life Orb Gengar manages to pull off an easy sweep after Scizor and Metagross have been sufficiently weakened. Other sweepers such as Swords Dance Lucario can set up on the usual Dragon- or Ice-type attacks used to revenge kill Salamence and proceed to sweep.</p>

<p>Defensively, Salamence struggles against Dragon-, Rock-, and Ice-type attacks which hit it for super effective. As such, Steel-types make the best partners for this set in the given department, as they resist all three of the listed types of attacks. Jirachi packs great base 100 defenses to repeatedly switch into such attacks, while also being able to take down opposing users of the move with its great availability to attacks such as Iron Head and Ice Punch. Jirachi can also lure in Steel-types and KO them with Fire Punch, or if you wish to take a more defensive route, it can also pass Wishes to Salamence sets lacking Roost. Salamence, in turn, can switch into the usual Ground- and Fire-type attacks aimed at Jirachi.</p>

<p>Most of Salamence's usual checks, ranging from Scizor to Swampert, are paired with Dragon-types such as opposing Salamence and Latias. Salamence itself can take them out with a STAB Draco Meteor or Outrage, but carrying a Scizor of your own serves as a good check to prevent both from sweeping should Salamence faint.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>In early DP, a Choice Specs set consisting of Draco Meteor, Dragon Pulse, Flamethrower, and Hydro Pump along with a Modest nature was perfectly viable on Salamence. However, the fact that Stealth Rock is so omnipresent and that Blissey completely walls the set makes it a risky, if not redundant option for the current metagame. A better alternative is the MixMence set, which can switch between attacks and break apart walls with less difficulty.</p>

<p>Yache Berry is a viable option on the Dragon Dancer, but Dragonite makes better use of it with his superior defenses. You should also note that a Life Orb paired with a single Dragon Dance is effectively a 1.95x boost. Switching to Yache Berry to get an extra Dragon Dance (a 2x boost) gives only a marginal gain in attacking power; the extra Dragon Dance is really only useful to get more Speed. You can run Aerial Ace if you really hate Heracross, but it's largely unneeded. The 100 Base Power Dragon Rush may be appetizing, but its 75% accuracy sure isn't. There are plenty of move combinations and EV spreads that Salamence can use with a Choice Scarf, be it all physical, special or mixed; however, the given Choice Scarf set it probably your best option if you want to make good use of the item.</p>

[EVs]
<p>Due to Salamence's stat distribution and Intimidate he can really be EVed to accomplish just about anything. For the more complicated spreads, you'll want to use what was recommended prior to accomplish the specific goals listed. Generally speaking, you'll want to either pump Salamence's offenses or play up its defenses to capitalize on Intimidate. Generally, you'll either want to run a Speed stat of 280 to outpace Adamant Lucario or a max Speed stat of 328 to tie with +Speed base 100's. Running a neutral nature with max Speed is also acceptable on the Dragon Dance sets, but automatically losing to Choice Scarf Jirachi is not worth it on the long run, so a lower Speed stat is preferred.</p>

[Opinion]
<p>Salamence is arguably one of the biggest threats in DPP since it can hit very hard from both ends of the damage spectrum without needing to set up. There is literally no one counter to Salamence until you know its moveset, and even then it can be a challenge to take. Its versatility makes it a fantastic early-, mid- and late-game Pokémon as well, which is not something you can say about a lot of Pokémon. If you use it wisely, Salamence should win you a lot of battles. However, it's not without its faults. You will have to account for both Stealth Rock and sandstorm since non-Leftovers Salamence will take a minimum 31.25% damage from both (combined) every time it switches in, and this is assuming it is untouched by your opponent's Pokémon. More often than not, residual damage will be Salamence's worst enemy.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Salamence is one of the few Pokémon which lack definitive counters, given its ridiculous versatility and ability to attack from both sides of the spectrum. Nevertheless, your best bet against it is to let it take residual damage by forcing it to switch out or simply revenge killing it after it has locked itself into Outrage.</p>

<p>Undoubtedly, the best initial switch-ins are Steel-types since they resist both Draco Meteor and Outrage. Choice Band Scizor can switch into everything but Fire Blast and deal upwards to 67% with Bullet Punch (which will KO Salamence after a switch-in into Stealth Rock and one turn of Life Orb recoil). Choice Scarf Jirachi functions in the same way, given it can KO Salamence with Ice Punch after Stealth Rock damage, but it risks the Speed tie against the Naive Dragon Dance set. Bronzong can survive any of Salamence's attacks bar two successive Fire Blasts and threaten it with Gyro Ball or Explosion. Choice Scarf Metagross and Heatran threaten the MixMence sets with Ice Punch and Dragon Pulse respectively, but are useless against the Dragon Dance sets.</p>

<p>There also also hard counters for each set, although it should be noted said counters will lose to other variants. Hippowdon and Swampert work well against the Dragon Dance sets, as both can survive a +1 Life Orb Outrage and either phaze out Salamence with Roar or KO it with Ice Fang or Ice Beam respectively. Vaporeon and Bold Blissey do decently against the MixMence versions, although both require Ice Beam to do anything of significance in return; Wish stalling will only work against the Roost-lacking variants.</p>

<p>For the Choice Band and Choice Scarf sets, defensively oriented walls such as Hippowdon, Gliscor, and most Steel-types are your best bet, although the former two risk a 2HKO from Aqua Tail. For the bulky Dragon Dancers, they are utterly walled by Skarmory and Bronzong, and can be forced out by bulky Waters such as Swampert and Suicune. Finally, for the FatMence set, Heatran is your best bet against it since it resists both Draco Meteor and Dragon Pulse and actually benefits from Flamethrower, not to mention it is also immune to Toxic.</p>

<p>Cresselia beats all of the sets, but has seen little usage due to Scizor and Tyranitar being as common as they are.</p>

<p>If your team cannot accommodate for carrying hard counters for the different sets, you can instead opt for a Choice Scarf revenge killer to beat Salamence. The best options for this task are Latias, Gengar, and Starmie. However, all three are massively weak to Pursuit, so having something to lure out and KO Scizor and Tyranitar is highly recommended.</p>

<p>Generally, the best strategy is to let Salamence be worn down by residual damage, as the sets without Roost are usually the most threatening anyway.</p>

Updated with both of the above proofreads. I manually edited them in since I edited some other parts of the original analysis today, so hopefully, I didn't miss anything

@ Engineer Pikachu: I'm not sure if you noticed this, but quoting a post automatically italicizes the entire text. Sadly, I could not tell which parts of the analysis you felt should be deleted in your proofread. Do you think you could help me with that?

---

Also, some other comments I'll go ahead and respond to.

I feel that Roost + Outrage is a terrible idea on Salamence. After you lock yourself in, it's almost pointless to even have the move. To me, I'd rather use it with Dragon Claw (hence BulkyMence or what RL's last set was), use Fire Blast + Outrage, or even Dragon Claw + Outrage.
From my own experiences, the value of running Roost on the same set is that you can set up additional Dragon Dances than you could without it. This works on the more defensive sets with the more limited coverage, as you'll have had to eliminate counters on the opponent's team to sweep with your Dragon-type attack move anyways. If Roost wasn't viable, I'd rather run the first set since it deals the most immediate damage.

Uhh I think I just noticed a big problem. I see no mention of Mamoswine or Weavile in this analysis. They might not be counters, but I feel that they at least need to be addressed in team options due to their ability to revenge kill Salamence with Ice Shard. For the same reasons, they should also be mentioned in the Counters section, because Salamence is a bit short on true counters.

Edit: Uhhh this is odd, Ice Shard is mentioned several times onsite. Why were all mentions of Ice Shard, Mamoswine, and Weavile taken out?
Yeah I apologize about that. I was rewritting parts of the analysis in an attempt to make it more consise (which I will work on again when the majority of proofreading is done) and I must have forgotten to mention it.

Regardless, I have included that particular part in the Counters section now.

---

@ MetaNite:

I'll implement your proofread later once you're finished. Thanks for the help.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
<@Theorymon> alright Colonel M, do you think that list is good enough? Hippo, Pert, and P2 mentioned on DDmence, Scarfers mentioned as a problem, Weavile, Mamoswine, and Cressy added as problems in team options.

And I think Naive should be the only option on DDMence here because I only see +Atk nature being useful with Dragon Claw (there's a small difference with +Atk and neutral nature w/Outrage but from what I know it doesn't add anything more significant). I'd also put Physical BulkyMence over the Mixed Dancer unless its usage has been more significant. Finally make sure to put Rapid Spin support in Team Options since removal of Stealth Rock is always a positive for Salamence (especially Choice sets which have no real option but to switch out after using an attack).

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In addition to what Colonel M said, I think Rapid Spinners need to be mentioned in team options (probably Starmie and maybe Forretress). It might be a good idea to mention how to destroy spin blockers for them as well.

<@Theorymon> alright Colonel M, do you think that list is good enough? Hippo, Pert, and P2 mentioned on DDmence, Scarfers mentioned as a problem, Weavile, Mamoswine, and Cressy added as problems in team options.
I'm a bit confused for this part, so could you please rephrase it for me? From what I understand of this quote, you basically just want me to mention those pokemon as counters/checks in the respective sections?

As for the nature on DDMence, I firmly believe that a +Atk nature still has its worth. Essentially, people are running +Spe to speed-tie at worst with ScarfAchi. From my experience, that is the only relatively common base 100 Scarfer used to check Salamence. Considering said set is Magnezone bait anyways, why should a +Atk nature be dismissed? Aside from ScarfAchi, Salamence will still outpace a major portion of the metagame at +1 and can actually beat previous counters such as Swampert and Hippowdon with greater ease (+1 LO outrage from 405 Attack does approx 92% to the former).

I will also get to adding a paragraph on Rapid Spin support in team options and will bump the physically bulky set as well.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alright, I did forget about Swampert admittidely, but Hippo is still 2HKOed either way with a minor difference.

I meant to add P2, Hippo, and Cresselia as problems for DDMence. Weavile / Mamoswine and Cresselia should be added as probems and solutions to handle them in team options.

Changes in Blue.
Comments in Red.

Finally, Fire Blast handles Scizor, Forretress, and Skarmory, all of whom Earthquake only hits for neutral damage. Skarmory is immune to EQ

For example, a max Attack Outrage stands Omitted 'at' a 20% chance of OHKOing 252/252 Relaxed Swampert after Stealth Rock.

Carrying a Pokémon to lure out Steel-types beforehand is a must, or else Salamence will be too weak to pull off a sweep if it switches Omitted 'in' too many times into Stealth Rock. Gengar is a good choice to accomplish this task, who can either scout for Choiced attacks with Protect or KO the Steel-types themselves with Hidden Power Fire.

This set is aimed to use both of Salamence's excellent Excelling seemed incorrect, but feel free to leave unchanged attacking stats to break apart stall teams and should specifically be used on teams which have trouble against them. Salamence finds an easy time switching into resisted attacks, allowing it to begin firing off Draco Meteors at the opponent. Fire Blast provides Salamence with an option to hit most Steel-types for super effective damage, while Brick Break will ensure the 2HKO on Blissey and Heatran after Stealth Rock damage. Flamethrower is an option over Fire Blast if you prefer the higher accuracy, but you will miss out on OHKOs Deleted the apostrophe in OHKOs; most analyses I've read follow this rule against Celebi, Specially Defensive Skarmory, and max HP Metagross.

One can feel free to experiment with different EV spreads, such as Omitted 'by' using enough Speed to outpace Jolly Gyarados (208 Speed EVs), to suit a team's specific needs.

Fire Blast can be used to deal more initial damage to switch-ins, but you will fail to KO Celebi and Specially Defensive Skarmory (roughly 50% of the time in the latter's case) due to this set's lower Special Attack investment than the previous set.

There are other alternate spreads available as well. With this spread, Salamence also outpaces all Gyarados prior to a Dragon Dance.

For the last slot, Roost provides Salamence with much needed longevity, making it much easier to set up and switch in more times without worrying about residual damage or Stealth Rock. I've always referenced 'residual damage' as being Sandstorm or Hail, but this is preferential

The given EVs provide Salamence with maximum durability on the physical end of the defensive spectrum, while at the same time, being able to outspeed neutral base 90s Omitted the apostrophe; most analyses follow this rule, most notably Lucario.

However, this does leave Salamence with the problem of not being able to hit Skarmory and Bronzong for neutral damage. I don't understand this last part; Skarmory and Bronzong would be resistant/immune to Salamence's attacks if it's without Fire Blast. It'd be correct to replace 'neutral damage' for 'Super-Effective damage', wouldn't it?

176 Speed EVs hit 280 Speed, allowing Salamence to serve as a reliable check against Adamant Lucario and non-Scarfed Heatran before using Dragon Dance, while also allowing it to outspeed Scarfed versions of Omitted 'said' Heatran and everything slower after boosting its own Speed. A Naive nature can be run on this set if you so wish; you will lose power on Outrage but will be able to Speed tie with base 90 Speed Pokémon and outspeed Timid Scarf Rotom-A after a Dragon Dance. Notably, a Naive nature and a Dragon Dance will still OHKO the standard 148/252 Calm Blissey with Outrage assuming Stealth Rock is on the field. You should probabaly consider that Blissey's page is getting revamped as well; whether you change it accordingly is your decision

Lucario pairs up well with this set as well, since it can beat both Skarmory and Bronzong with a boosted Close Combat, I don't see Lucario beating Skarmory; Skarmory switches in on a DD (after assessing Mence is without FB), you go to Luke and ... then what? If you SD, you'll get Whirlwinded, if you CC, it can just Roost off the damage unless I'm missing something here and also packs a resistance to Bullet Punch (albeit taking quite a bit of damage from Choice Band Scizor). A Scarf Dugtrio can be employed to beat the majority of Heatran sets, which will allow comfortable use of Fire Blast in the fourth move slot.

Earthquake and Fire Blast complement Outrage by hitting all of the Steel-types which resist Outrage for super effective damage. Stone Edge works great if you need to dispatch Omitted 'of' Flying-types, such as Zapdos and Gyarados, while Aqua Tail hits bulky Ground-types such as Hippowdon and Gliscor super effectively.

A Naive nature is used to get the jump on neutral Speed-natured base 100 Pokémon and positive Speed-natured base 90s, while not weakening the power of Fire Blast, Semicolon seemed unnecessary although Naughty is still a viable option to increase Salamence's Attack to guarantee 2HKOs on bulkier Pokémon, such as Hippowdon. Maximum Attack and Speed should be rather obvious, while the small investment in Special Attack guarantees Salamence 2HKOes I'm not sure on the consistency of '2HKOes' and '2HKOs'; you seem to use both interchangeably 252 HP / 0 SpD Bold Celebi with Fire Blast after Stealth Rock damage.

Entry hazard support in the form of Stealth Rock and Spikes helps wear down the opponent into Outrage's KO range.

The remaining EVs were placed into Defense so Salamence can switch in a maximum of four turns, instead of three, with Stealth Rock on the field. Shouldn't it be a max of five instead of four? Or am I missing something again?

Choice Specs Latias can also serve as a good partner for this set. Essentially, you can use either Salamence or Latias to weaken the opponent's Steel-types, then the other will be able to sweep with greater ease. I would mention the use of Choice Specs Latias outright replacing SpecsMence on a team, depending on the weaknesses of teammates and the advantages that Latias brings like Trick and neutrality to SR, but it's your call

Latias seems to outclass this entirely, IMO. But, then again, what do I know ...

Again, Latias seems to outclass this.

As with most other sweepers, Salamence greatly benefits from entry hazards, which allows it to net specific KO's You seem to use apostrophes at random with references to KOs; I would try to be consistent with usage, unless you can explain otherwise it would otherwise miss.

On the other hand, Forretress can weaken Rotom-A and Gengar with Payback, making sure to avoid a Will-O-Wisp and Hidden Power Fire from both, respectively. Nitpicking, but Gengar can run WoW as well <_<

Since Salamence focuses on wearing down the opponent's team if it doesn't manage to sweep itself, a late game sweeper should be paired with the more offensive sets.

Jirachi can also lure in Steel-types and KO them with Fire Punch, or if you wish to take a more defensive route, it can Omitted 'also' pass Wishes to Salamence sets lacking Roost.

Cresselia, a Pokemon which counters Salamence in its entirety, can be beaten by Scizor's U-turn or Pursuit.

The 100 Base Power Dragon Rush may be appealing lolwut @ appetizing but that's just me, but its 75% accuracy sure isn't. There are plenty of move combinations and EV spreads that Salamence can use with a Choice Scarf, be it all physical, special or mixed; however, the given Choice Scarf set is probably your best option if you want to make good use of the item.

Due to Salamence's stat distribution and Intimidate, he can really be EVed I don't think I've seen the word 'EVed' but I'm sure it's been used before to accomplish just about anything. Running a Speed stat of 280 to outpace Adamant Lucario or a max Speed stat of 328 to tie with +Speed base 100's is ideal on just about every set. Just some preferential changes

Its versatility makes it a fantastic early, mid, and late game Pokémon as well, which is not something you can say about a lot of Pokémon.

Salamence is one of the few Pokémon which lack definitive counters, given its ridiculous versatility and ability to attack from both sides of the spectrum. I just want to mention that very little can hard counter OU Pokes given the state of the metagame, but I digress

Hope I helped.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
This is my fault. The analysis is "done" but Flash brought up an EV spread that requires discussion and that I missed.

I added the truncated paragraphs for all of the sets, so I'd appreciate a quick revision over those. Additionally, I still require some feedback on the EV spreads RaikouLover suggested.

Hiya there!

I'm just skimming over this now as it is pretty massive. In the Physically Bulky set mini paragraph thing, you should mention how said Salamence is one of the best Lucario counters. The Choice Scarf set probably wants max speed, to tie at least with Scarf Flygon and Jirachi. This is of great importance if say your opponent tries to revenge kill your Mence (who is locked into Outrage) with their own Flygon.

As for the many suggested EV spreads, I agree with RaikouLover's 216 HP / 16 Atk / 100 Def / 176 Spe for the Physically Bulky set. Perhaps mention it in set comments / EV section. Looks very good flash!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)