Dr. Quack and Friends

So after my horrible attempt at Gen 6 Little Cup, I decided it would be safer to stay in Level 100 Pokemon territory. So I created this 5th Gen NU team (not getting into Gen 6 too much yet) and it has been very effective

Dr. Quack (Golduck) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Cloud Nine
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Substitute

So my first thought when making this team was that Golduck had to be on it. Golduck is one of my favorite Pokemon and I just love it. It hits a lot of the meta-game fairly hard, and if a Pokemon like Alomomola or Musharna comes in, I can set up a Sub and Calm Mind all over it as it desperately tries to cripple me. Whenever I use this thing in battle, it almost always ends in a sweep. I'm not kidding. it's that good. that's why I love Golduck so much.

Brock (Golem) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Then I thought, "Well, every team needs a Stealth Rocker". At first, I was thinking Armaldo, but then I thought that Armaldo was way too common. Besides, Armaldo can't really hit a lot of the meta game too hard without setting up (at least in my past experiences) So I went with Golem. I did try Armaldo before but I felt Golem did a way better job. You may be wondering why use Golem when Armaldo can be a Stealth Rocker and a Rapid Spinner? truth be told, whenever I battle in NU, NO ONE ever uses Stealth Rock. I have no idea why. It's just whenever I battle people, they hardly ever have Stealth Rock. So Golem was a better choice. Besides, that Electric Immunity works great with Golduck.

Lancelot (Dragonair) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Outrage
- Sleep Talk
- Thunder Wave

After adding Golem, I saw a major weakness to Grass types starting to rise. I figured I needed a Pokemon that could take hits for days with relative ease. Eviolite Dragonair with EVs in SpD works perfectly. Not only is it extremely bulky, but I don't need to worry about statuses, because all those do is give me more defense. Not to mention I can just Rest off the damage anyway. thunder Wave cripples attackers and Outrage does a ton of damage even without full attack EVS.

upload_2013-11-11_20-49-47.png

Zira (Eelektross) (F) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 140 Atk / 244 SAtk / 124 Spd
Rash Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Superpower
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain

I then told myself that even though Golduck can handle Alomomola after a few Calm Minds, it gets walled by it pretty easily without them. So I decided to choose the Eebeltross Eelektross set for my next teammate. He can easily take care of walls like Alomomola with a Thunderbolt or two and has a wide variety of other moves as well, complimenting his Expert Belt. So Eelektross made it to the team

Fuzzball of Doom (Furret) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Trick
- Return
- Aqua Tail

I know what you're probably all thinking, Furret?! That Pokemon sucks! I beg to differ however. Furret has come in handy and saved me so many times. It can easily screw walls over with its Trick-Choice Scarf.and with Frisk, it helps me scout the opponents item. Once I know their item, I almost automatically know what set they are running and handle them effectively. And despite only having 251 attack, Return, U-turn and Aqua Tail all hit REALLY hard.

KFC (Combusken) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Protect
- Flare Blitz
- Sky Uppercut

Furret is fun to use in all but I realized I was seriously lacking a truly hard hitting attacker. Thus, Eviloite Swords Dance Combusken joined the group. While it gets easily walled by the likes of Alomomola and Musharna, why would I have this thing in against them anyway? With its broken ability and access to Swords Dance, once you get Musharna and Alomomola out of the way, this thing can easily sweep the rest of the opponents team.

So I apologize for my pathetic Gen 6 Little Cup team and I hope you find this team good. Feedback and suggestions are welcome!

Attachments

I see that overall, this team was built to create sweeping opportunities for Golduck and Combusken. Due to this, there are some major parts of the team, that really don't help the team achieve it's full potential. It also occurs to me that this team is extremely weak to Rain Dance Ludicolo, as well as Toxic Orb Zangoose. It is also very weak to Choice Band Sawk, allowing it to get a kill every time it switches in. When simply looking at your team, your clear weak points lie in Furret, an extremely terrible scarfer, as well as slightly awkward Dragonair and Golem sets. However as a whole, this is still a very solid team!

The first issue we need to address is Furret. It is a scarfer that is only at 90 base speed, meaning it doesn't meet the golden "95 base speed" of NU Scarfers. It also lacks raw power, and really doesn't help this team. Instead, I suggest Scarf Primeape, whom still allows you to U-Turn, but carries far better coverage than Furret, Higher Speed, Higher Attack, and Similar Bulk. It also has access to an amazingly spammable STAB move, as well as Vital Spirit, giving you a way to switch into sleep moves. I do realize that by adding Primeape you have 2 Fighting types, which makes your team more susceptible to flying and psychic types, however I do feel that Golem + Eelektross checks flying types well enough, and psychic types can be played around with your current team (Primeape can U-Turn on them for heavy damage as well). This also gives you a way to outspeed and take out Zangoose, who originally caused you large issues.

The next pokemon I would replace is Dragonair. Unlike standard sets, your Dragonair's only purpose is to spread paralysis, something it doesn't do well. I would switch this to Defensive Pivot Musharna. This not only has far better recovery in the form of Moonlight, but also can continue to spread paralysis, as well as absorb Sawk's fighting moves, which your team is extremely weak to. It also gives you a strong wall to counter the ever so prevalent physical attackers of the NU tier.

I would change Golduck's EVs to 136 Speed EVs, in order to outspeed base 70 uninvested pokemon, giving you a jump on many of the tier's common pokemon.

My final change is a small one, but I would change Golem's EVs. I would give it 56 Speed EVs, as Shell Smash Torkoal has recently become a very common sight, and being able to outspeed it before it starts boosting up to Rapid Spin, giving you a higher chance to beat it before it spins, thus garunteeing your rocks. I would also dump the rest of the EVs into 200 HP EVs, as boosting a single one of Golem's defenses isn't as productive as simply raising it's overall HP.

My only other optional change would be to change Golduck to Ludicolo to check other Ludicolos, but at that point I would be changing the entire point of your team, which I find to be too extreme.

Outside of these changes, this is still a rather solid team for your first NU RMT!

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Golduck @ Leftovers
EVs: 136 Spd / 252 SAtk / 120 HP
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

Golem @ Leftovers
EVs: 200 HP / 56 Spd / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Musharna @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Moonlight
- Baton Pass / Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave

Last edited:
hi. this team is fairly well built, but i have some suggestions. also, don't worry about the little cup rmt! we all learn at some point. i'd really suggest for you to just read some threads in the little cup forum and hop on #littlecup on irc, we'd be happy to help you. :]

no offense, but furret sucks. its attack is mediocre and base 90 speed isn't that great. i highly doubt furret hits as hard as you act like it does. your team has a lot of trouble against cb sawk since there are no good switch ins to it. what i suggest is switching furret to choice specs musharna, which can tank sawk's hits easily and still cripple walls with trick.

dragonair is pretty good, but if you're looking for pokemon to wall grass types tangela actually works a lot better. you perhaps lose out on the ability to beat roselia, but your team handles roselia pretty easily. tangela can paralyze and sleep the opponent while patching up your weakness to shell smash tirtouga and other water types.

now for the nitpicks. your golem set is pretty inneficient. leftovers is kind of useless on a pokemon that has sturdy and you're better off running an offensive set since strudy guarantees that golem will live a hit. i'd suggest dark gem golem, which can practically be a check to anything and gives you a form of priority. you might also want to try a bit bulkier ev spread on golduck, which allows you to beat modest ludicolo if it switches in on a calm mind and also outspeed neutral base 70's like ludicolo and samurott.

Musharna @ Choice Specs
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SAtk / 248 HP / 8 Def
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Baton Pass
- Trick

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SDef / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Brock (Golem) (M) @ Dark Gem
EVs: 56 Spd / 200 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature

- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Golduck @ Leftovers
EVs: 136 Spd / 196 HP / 176 SpD
Calm Nature

- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

good luck!

I'll take these changes into account and see if there are any other changes I could possibly make. Also, I probably was boasting about furret a little too much. Can't help it. My favorite type is normal and I really like furret. Oops. Thanks for the feedback anyway (my final team will be posted on this thread too)

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
now for the nitpicks. your golem set is pretty inneficient. leftovers is kind of useless on a pokemon that has sturdy and you're better off running an offensive set since strudy guarantees that golem will live a hit. i'd suggest dark gem golem, which can practically be a check to anything and gives you a form of priority. you might also want to try a bit bulkier ev spread on golduck, which allows you to beat modest ludicolo if it switches in on a calm mind and also outspeed neutral base 70's like ludicolo and samurott.
Not a full rate, but I just wanted to point out that Leftovers really isn't useless on Golem. It takes a lot of pressure off of it to take hits from Normal-types or Flying-types and gives it a bit more longevity to stick around and check things. No offense, but the gimmick of Sturdy is kind of the last reason you should ever use Golem as a SR setter--there are just so many better things it could be doing than dying in two turns. It can check birds, stop Volt Switch spam, break Subs w/ Rock Blast, revenge kill w/ Sucker Punch, etc. Passive recovery from Lefties helps to ensure it can do this throughout the match.

You don't really have to implement this, I just wanted to point that out. :/

showdown battle with old team
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/gen5nu-61732015

showdown battle with new teamis what i would say if my replay saved but it didn't so here's he rundown of what happened at thend end
It was 2-1 my game. the guy brings out swellow and and kills Primeape with quick attack. I send in KFC,my last Pokemon and his Toxic Orb activates. I go for protect to get a speed boost up so i can outspeed it. On the next turn, instead of going for brave bird like he rightfully should've, my opponent goes for quick attack, I live and go for flare blitz, not killing swellow but I live the recoil and the poison takes swellow out. ii in by a hair

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Out of all these rates, I like Brawlfest's rate the most. However, I do think your team is still vulnerable to Ludicolo. So I suggest you use the standard Goluck EV spread that user ebeast and I worked hard to calc. 196 HP / 176 SpD / 136 Spe with a Calm nature is the spread that we decided was most efficient for SubCM Golduck as the whole point of using Golduck is to take advantage of its excellent speed and decent bulk. The given Speed EVs allow Golduck to outspeed Modest Samurott and Ludicolo so that you can Calm Mind first (as Ludicolo especially is a strangely common switch in to special Water-types). That means that if you Calm Mind on the switch, and then CM before they (mostly Ludicolo) make a move, Golduck can actually survive 2 Giga Drains from Modest Ludicolo while at worst 2HKOing Ludicolo in return with +2 Signal Beam. Timid Ludicolo actually means that you beat it if you just get to +1 on the switch in btw. That reminds me, I suggest Signal Beam over Ice Beam because it has better two move coverage and actually lets you beat Jynx (who you lose to otherwise, as most of your team cannot beat standard Scarf Jynx). Other than this, I agree with the rest of Brawlfest's rate, and totally agree with Dat Blast as well.

All NU Pokemon and How to Beat them (using my new team)

Almomola - Eelektross. nuff said

Altaria - Not a real problem since Golduck can easily KO it with an Ice Beam after a Calm Mind or two (didn't put signal beam on him because a lot of eviolite Pokemon are weak to Ice, so... yeah...)

Ampharos - Golem walls it unless it carries HP Grass/Ice and can kill it with Earthquake

Arbok - Again. golem. Musharna also helps too (if it doesn't have Sucker Punch)

Ariados - Golem's Rock blast does a heavy amount, if not kills it

Articuno - Switch Brock in (or KFC) after Stealth Rocks are up and easily knock it out

Audino - KFC/MyGymPartner (CS Primape) can easily knock it out if it has no Defense investment

Banette - Could be a potential problem, since I don't have any ghost or dark type attacks, but its so uncommon that I shouldn't need to worry about it (edit. forgot Brock has Sucker Punch. so... yeah!)

Basculin - Eelektross handles it just fine

Bastiodon - MyGymPartner/KFC can take it out (after sturdy is broken)

Beartic - Zira/MyGymPartner/KFC/Brock. All of these guys can hit it supereffectively

Beautifly - Zira/Brock

Beedrill - Brock/KFC

Bellosom - KFC can take it out pretty easily

Bibarel - KFC/MyGymPartner can take it out without a problem. (KFC usually doesn't come in on it though, as it can know waterfall)

Braviary - Both Zira and Brock can take it out without a Bulk Up boost

Butterfree - Brock/Zira/KFC/Dr. Quack can all take it out with no hassle. Except for that annoying double powder strategy

cacturne - KFC is my main go to guy for this thing. but I sometimes go to MyGymPartner

Camerupt - Dr. Quack takes it out without a problem

Carnivine - Dr. Quack's Ice Beam, MyGymPartner's Ice Punch and KFC's Flare Blitz can easily take this thing out

Carracosta - Difficult to beat if I let it set up but can go down pretty easily to MyGymPartner's Close Combat

Charizard - Golem's Rock Blast takes it out no problem

Chatot - It can't hit Eelektross or Golem that hard, allowing me to knock it out that way.

Chimecho - Could potentially be a problem, since I don't have any Ghost or Dark type moves, but shouldn't be too big of a problem

Combusken - Golem takes it out while taking it's hits nicely

Corsola - I don't have any Grass type moves, however, like Carrocosta, it faqlls easily to Primeape's Close Combat

cradily - Primape and Combusken hande it decently

Delcatty - Primeape or Combusken

Delibird - Golem's Rock blast takes it out quickly

Dewgong - MyGymPartner can take it out fairly quickly with a CC or two

Ditto - Could potentially be a problem, as it can copy any of my Pokemon and continue to troll me, but I haven't had many problems with it

Dodrio - Golduck's Ice Beam and primeape's Stone Edge/Ice Punch take it out fast

Dragonair - It can't really hurt Golduck that much and I can knock it out with a plus 2 Ice Beam (or plus one depending on EV spread)

Drifblim - Musharna takes its hit fairly well, even with Flare Boost and Golduck/Primeape can also knock it out fairly easily

Dunsparce - Primeape. nuff said

Dustox - Combusken takes it out easily with Flare Blits

Eelektross - Can potentially become a huge threat. It learns a whole variety of moves and you never know what the opponent is packing

Electabuzz - Golem takes it out after living a HP Grass/Focus Blast with Sturdy

Electrode - It can't really touch Golem

Emolga - this thing is so uncommon that I shouldn't have to worry about it

Exeggutor - Combusken can take it out when it gets fast enough to outspeed and golduck can attack it when it is behind a Sub

Exploud - Primeape outspeeds it and can take it out. Combusken can outspeed it after a few speed boosts and kill it as well

Farfetch'd - Honestly, if any team has trouble with this, then there's something wrong

Fearow - Eelektross and Golem wall it and can take it out

Flareon - Golduck and Golem can easily take care of it, even if it is Guts

Floatzel - Can cause some problems, but generally, Musharna, Golduck and Eelektross do good against it

Fraxure - One or two Ice beams from plus 1 Golduck and its dead

Furret - Golem, Primeape and Combusken can all handle it with ease

Gabite - Golduck's Ice beam clean takes it out

Garbodor - Unless it has the rare Earthequake, Golem can wall it and retaliate with Earthquake

Gardevoir - Musharna can cripple it with Thunder Wave and golem can use its Dark Gem to knock it out with Sucker Punch

Gigalith - Golduck, Primeape and Eelektross all handle this guy pretty well

Girafarig - Could be a problem if it Baton Passes, but otherwise, not threatening at all

Glaceeon - KFC can take this on and beat it with relative ease. So can MyGymPartner

Glalie - Again, Primeape and Combusken can take this guy out

Golbat - This thing isn't a roblem for Golem or Eelektross, so I can take it out with their help. Golduck can also attack it when he is behind a sub

Golduck - Eelektross can take it out with a Thunderbolt or two before it CMs

Golem - it falls to Golduck's Surf whether I have a Calm Mind up or not

Golurk - A bit problematic, but nothing I can't handle. golduck can knock it out with Surf and Eelektross is immune to EQ and can hit it back with Giga Drain

Gorebyss - If it Shell Smash+Baton Pass, I could have a huge problem, but if not, Eelektross takes it out with T-bolt

Granbull - It hits my entire team decently hard, but if Golem's Sturdy is still intact I can switch him in, live an attack, go for EQ, and if that doesn't kill him, go for Sucker Punch

Grumpig - this thing is annoying and hard to deal with. Any help for a counter to this would be helpful

Gurdurr - Musharna takes it's hits like they were jokes and slowly wears it down with Psychic, healing up with Moonlight when needbe

Haunter - musharna or Golem is my best bet for this thing, especially if it's choice locked

Heatmor - Even if it does have HP grass, it doesn't have the attacking power necesary to do any major damage to Golduck or even Golem and I can knock it out with them

Huntail - This thing is so uncommon that I don't really know what it does, so I have no strategy for it

hypno - Like Grumpig, it's annoying and very bulky and I don't have the best check for it (except for Musharna but my only attacking move is Psychic)

illumise - Combusken and golem laugh at this things attempts. sure, it has prankster, but that doesn't mean it can really do anything

Jumpluff - Combusken takes this thing on well, if it doesn't have Acrobatics. this is one Pokemon that I'm kind of scared of. IU think it might outspeed Primeape and kill me with acrobatics and then I don't have much for it except Musharna to take its hits

Jynx - Golem can live an Ice type attack with Sturdy and kill with Rock Blast. Combusken could also be an option but probably not a good one unless i protect once

kadabra - this thing can't take an attack to save its life, even with Eviolite, so any of my Pokemon would do here

Kangaskhan - Primeape is the most effective for this thing, but Combusken also works

Kecleon - I don't run into this thing much, so I don't have a strategy except spam CC with Primeape

Kingler - Eelektross is my best bet for this guy. Thunderbolt and giga Drain both can take it out in one or two hits

Lairon - Golem, primeape or Combusken would work for this thing

(to be continued..)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)