1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Drag-Mag Garchomp Edition

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by malomyotismon, Oct 13, 2012.

1. malomyotismon

malomyotismon

Well garchomp is unbanned so naturally making a nice team for him, isn't such a bad idea, so given his power I have decided to go for drag-mag stratigy and just drill holes in enemy teams.

Fortress@leaftovers
    [​IMG]
    relaxed
    0ivs speed
    252hp 176 defence 80 special defence
    gyro ball
    rappid spin
    volt turn
    stealth rock

Say hi to fortress my rappid spinner, my lead, my hazard layer and my mamoswine counter, the concept is pretty simple here, fortress is a master of multitasking an dthats exactly what he dose. Max defence ivs to take hits from mamoswine but more likely he will be taking weak ice shards but is mamo is going to stay in then I want to be prepared to ko him, physical defence allow him to take on dragons and possibly set up on outrage or spin away, mence and nite hate sr and garchomp dislikes spikes and is ruined by toxic spikes so his role as a spinner is very important and the dragons like their hazards up and he is good at that too, good no quarrels about using this shy bug.

garchomp@leaftovers
    [​IMG]
    jolly
    252speed 252 attack 6hp
    outrage
    earthquake
    substitute
    swords dance

Oh garchomp how we have missed you and your swords dancelyness. Anyways garchomp is the reason for the team and thats why he is here, concept is simple scare something out, sub and either damage it and run away for something else to deal with it or set up swords dance and prepare for the ko, it's really that simple, i chose sub as fire fang and aqua tail are kinda pathetic out with weather and magnezone handles and other threats to chomp. Nature is simple max speed and eves more so, rough skin is a given and outrage is there over dragon claw for extra power.

Latias@life orb
    [​IMG]
    timid
    252special attack 252speed
    Draco meteor
    Surf
    psyshock
    Recover

Latias is my growth my tumer, she acts as an offensive defensive piot for the team and can easily handle top threats such as keldeo and mamoswine better at the cost of a little extra attacking power in exchange for defensive proness.

scizor@choice band
    [​IMG]
    adamant
    248 hp 252attack 8speed
    Super power
    u turn
    bullet punch
    pursuit

Scizor deals with many ice threats such as kyruem or mamoswine like a champ and acts as a solid offensive pivot of the team

Dragonite@lum berry
    [​IMG]
    adamant
    252 attack 6 hp 252 speed
    multiscale
    Dragon dance
    outrage
    earthquake
    fire punch

Physical sweeper of the dragon dance varity, i much prefer dragonite to salamence as a dragon dancer as he is simply so much much much easier to set up thanks to multiscale only kyruems blizzard can ko him at full health, which is rather beastly. Premiss is simple dragon dance and proceed to sweep, other team mates make life easier for nite as they weaken the enemy team and vice versa. Earthquake is here for coverage althrough i might swap it for roost for survibility and being able to abuse multiscale.

Genesect@choice Scarf
    [​IMG]
    niave
    252speed 252 special attack
    U-turn
    thudnerbolt
    flamethrower
    ice beam

Noticed the team has a bit of an issue with rival dragons especially scarfed dragons and i neeed a way of dealing with thta, so genesect came to mind and magenezone was becoming dead wieght, plus genesect can deal with every single steel type magnezone can regardless, plus this guy really helps with the offensive momentum

Forretress @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
    Relaxed Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Volt Switch
    - Stealth Rock
    - Rapid Spin
    - Gyro Ball

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Roost
    - Surf
    - Psyshock

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower
    - U-turn

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
    Trait: Rough Skin
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature
    - Outrage
    - Fire Fang
    - Earthquake
    - Swords Dance

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 Def
    Adamant Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Roost
    - Fire Punch
    - Outrage

Magnezone @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    - Thunderbolt
    - Substitute
    - Charge Beam
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
  2. Derpinator

Derpinator

I am not too good at rating from what I have been told but I'll give it a try anyway. I know that this team is supposed to be based around Dragon-types and Magnezone, but I think it would be best if you dropped at least one Dragon-type and maybe put in Heatran because you have four Ice- and Dragon-type weaknesses, two Rock-type weaknesses and two Fire-type weaknesses. The Rock-type weaknesses might not be too much of a problem since you have some good switch-ins who could take the hit if necessary, but the Fire- and Ice-type weaknesses are the main problems in my eyes. Magnezone and Forretress may be able to switch in and take the hit but eventually your opponent will start predicting these switches and pick off Forretress and Magnezone, leaving you with a bunch of Ice- and Dragon-type weaknesses and nothing to do about it since you have no counter. Although it can be argued that Heatran could be predicted too, it just is better security to have one more Pokemon to switch into Ice- and Dragon-type attacks. Also, Heatran can help protect your other Steel-type Pokemon by switching into Fire-type attacks targeting them. Also, by replacing one of your Dragon-types with Heatran, you make it one less Pokemon that is going to be swept away if you run into a fast, strong Ice- or Dragon-type attack. I, personally, would recommend dropping Garchomp since Heatran can provide many more resistances and keeping all the Ground-type immune Dragon-types will allow them to switch onto Earthquake/Earth Power that is intended for Heatran.
  3. malomyotismon

malomyotismon

the problem with heatran is he will often switch into ice attacks from mamoswine the biggest threat and will get his ballon poped and being slower he ends up dead wieght and to make matters worse cloyster laughs at him if it gets a boost.

tell you wat got an odd choice here, moltress, i got rappid spinner support and i have an issue with mamosine who moltress laughs at and i have been meaning to test him out in ou at some point
  4. Derpinator

Derpinator

Ok, well as long as you got some Fire-type support, I suppose it works. :D
  5. Derpinator

Derpinator

I personally would recommend running a different set for Moltres, but it is up to you. This set allows for a more offensive Moltres and it helps keep Moltres alive longer. Air Slash is a better choice over Hurricane thanks to its better accuracy.

Moltres Set
    Show Hide

[​IMG]
    Moltres @ Life Orb
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Fire Blast
    - Hidden Power [Grass]
    - Air Slash
    - Roost
  6. TCR

TCR Born a Saint, but with every Sin I still wanna be holy
    is a Contributor to Smogon

id just like to say, moltres can be beaten by mamoswine. most mamos nowadays use thick fat, and it laughs at fb from moltres. mamo aalso has stone edge to take care of it. honestly, i would recommend going back to heatran, and trying a shed shell heatran set. this prevents you from being genesect+dugtrio bait.
  7. Derpinator

Derpinator

Oh man, I completely forgot that aspect of it, sorry I should have remembered that Mamoswine have Thick Fat.
  8. malomyotismon

malomyotismon

given maos low special defence and life orb on moltress, it will ko mamoswine anyways and heatran is useless against mamoswine who can be faster, remember all thinck fat dose is remove the weakness this is till a base 120 attack stab and comming from life orbed to his pitiful special defence

no heatran isn't the answer it just get raped by mamoswine.
  9. TCR

TCR Born a Saint, but with every Sin I still wanna be holy
    is a Contributor to Smogon

you have a major gene+duggy problem which is, right now i believe, more popular than mamoswine is. therefore, heatran is much better overall.

heatran may not be the answer, but the answer is most definitely not moltres. one, moltres has a devasting weakness to sr, and tyranitar and the like. it can't do crap to t-tar, and at least heatran can earth power it. it can't do anything significant to mamo, but that doesn't mean sacrifice a spot just for mamo-killing. change something else out if need be. genesect and dugtrio is just too much of a threat.

if you really want a mamoswine counter, fit bronzing in somewhere.
  10. Cinco Diablo

Cinco Diablo

Hey there, I got your VM to rate this team, and that is why I am here, posting in this topic to rate your team. You're using a great strategy, with four dragons and a Magnezone to trap and kill steel types. While this team is very well built, I have quite a few suggestions to help this team improve, so I hope you will use them to your advantage. Anyways, enough chit-chat, we're here for rating teams, not listening to me ramble on about nothing, so let's get to it! Okay, I shall kick off this rate by saying that I can see a Kyurem sweeping this team clean with a combo of Ice Beam and Focus Blast, hitting everything on your team for super effective or neutral damage. In addition to this, you have three Pokemon that have a weakness to Stealth Rock, espically Moltres, who takes 50% damage each time it switches in. A solution to your Kyurem problems, I suggest that you use a Banded Scizor in place of your Moltres. With scizor in your team, you can now take on Kyurem easily and revenge kill it with a STAB Bullet Punch. Scizor also provides natural resistances to both of Kyurems STAB attacks, which is very beneficial. Moving along, another nusiance to your team could be Calm Mind Keldeo-R with Hidden Power Ice. Keldeo-R can come in on a resisted hit, such as Dragonites Fire Punch or even Salamences Fire Blast, and proceed to set up Calm Minds almost at will and can easily sweep your team. To help with this Keldeo problem, I suggest that you use a Special Defensive Jellicent in place of your Dragonite. Now, while it may seem odd to have Jellicent in your team, it provides some very useful resistances and it can check, if not, counter most Keldeo-R, so you should give it a shot. Also, with Jellicent in your team, if you have added Scizor, you now only have one Pokemon that is weak to Stealth Rock. Well, that's all I have to say for this. It took me a long time to write this up, so I hope that my advice helped you just a whole lot. Have fun and good luck with the team!

Sets (open)

[​IMG]
    Scizor @ Choice Band Lv. 100 -- Technician

Nature: Adamant - EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd

- Pursuit
    - Superpower
    - U-turn
    - Bullet Punch

[​IMG]
    Jellicent @ Leftovers Lv. 100 -- Water Absorb

Nature: Calm - EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 SDef

- Toxic
    - Recover
    - Shadow Ball
    - Scald

~Dr Ciel~ (The doctor is OUT)​
  11. Milos

Milos

Yeah, not really trying to mini mod here but

16. Play with your team before putting it up for rate. We as a community cannot emphasize this enough. No one wants to rate the team that you freshly created while eating breakfast or the gimmick you randomly put together. We as a community want teams that have been battle tested so that the obvious flaws have been hammered out.

-taken straight out of the RMT rules.

There is no possible way for you to have tested this team outside of the suspect ladder since Garchomp has not even been released yet. You should at least test the team out yourself before posting it.
  12. PDC

PDC loveless
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus

Hi, cool team.

First off I suggest changing up Garchomp a little to give you a bit more insurance against Ice attacks such as Mamoswine. Try out Yache Berry and Fire Fang over Leftovers and Substitute to help you break through Skarmroy and other steels a bit easier. You should also move over Dragonite's EVs to 4 Defense to make sure you can switch into SR 5 times now instead of 4. You should also try. different Forretress spread opposed to that basic one. Using 252 HP / 176 Def / 88 SDef with Volt Switch over Spikes gives you more Special Bulk and momentum for this offensive based team.

Now as others have stated, you have some problems with Pokemon like Kyurem, Rotom-W, and Keldeo. I am going to be backing Dr.Ciel's suggestion of CB Scizor over Moltres, but I also suggest trying LO Latios over Salamence, which gives you a steady check to Keldeo and Rotom-W alike.

sets (open)

Latios @ Life Orb | Levitate
    252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Surf
    - Psyshock
    - Roost

Good luck!
  13. malomyotismon

malomyotismon

team has been revamped to include offensive latia and choice band scizor so please do comment on how the new team looks ill get the code for the team up soon.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)