Media DRAGON BALL SUPER

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is it just me or does anyone else really get the vibe Dyspo is actually a violent psychopath? When he was introduced he seemed pretty chill but as he's been tested he's looked, acted, and sounded more sadistic.

I think Toppo and Jiren actually believe in some sort of justice. Dyspo is just using the position as a means to get and be powerful, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was made the new God of Destruction of Universe 11 instead of Toppo after this.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is it just me or does anyone else really get the vibe Dyspo is actually a violent psychopath? When he was introduced he seemed pretty chill but as he's been tested he's looked, acted, and sounded more sadistic.

I think Toppo and Jiren actually believe in some sort of justice. Dyspo is just using the position as a means to get and be powerful, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was made the new God of Destruction of Universe 11 instead of Toppo after this.
But.... aren't we assuming 11 will be erased?

Deck Knight

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
But.... aren't we assuming 11 will be erased?
My general assumption is one of two things happen:
Jiren, Goku, or Vegeta wins tournament of power and other universes get wished back in effect either immediately or successively.

Freiza wins tournament of power and a new crazy-dark arc starts.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

DBS Manga spoilers btw.

I'm not sure if this was mentioned in the anime but I read the recent chapters of DBS manga. It mentioned how the members of the Pride Troopers each have their own morals / ideals / sense of justice. So it wouldn't be impossible that Dyspo is just some crazy whack. Also Jiren only joined because he has a wish he wants to fulfill. Don't quite remember if all these were mentioned in the anime.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
gonna predict that some variant of the fighterz story will be a soon future arc of super because lazy + waifu

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Its official lads, super is ending with this arc on march 25th. Starting April 1st they'll use Super's time slot for some shitty ass anime called Kinato or some shit, it's getting a new project/anime for its 50th anniversary and will be replacing super.

They said super's ending but dragon ball as a series isn't. it's really ambiguous and we can't really know what they mean by it :[

All the possible new storylines. pride troopers, toppo, jiren, dyspo, hit, frieza's plot, u6 saiyans (kale/caulifla/kefla/cabba), planet sadala, uub, end of Z, the million fucking universes they introduced, UI development, goku vs beerus rematch, all of that gone down the shitter D: at least for now. some ppl are saying they're waiting on toyotaro to catch up to the anime so a hiatus for now will work until next year but we can't really know for sure, especially since toei is being rly vague/ambiguous

Fine by me. Super has been pretty bad and I've only been really watching raws to keep my Japanese level up (barely). The story has been bland and mostly uninteresting and I've seen a few channels break down the animation which (spoiler alert) has been barely passable for most of the show with a few exceptions.

This does kind of close the doors on a few of the possibilities for how the tournament ends, though. In my mind, it's either going to be 1) Goku/Vegeta win, and have to deal with the fallout of reviving Frieza as the hook for the new movie, or 2) Frieza wins, and dealing with the fallout of whatever he wishes for from the Super Dragon Balls would be the hook for the new movie. Keeping my expectations low so that maybe, just maybe, Toei will somehow surprise me.

Other possibilities could have involved the Pride Troopers winning, but having similar goals of reviving universes that had been deleted by Zenō... still somewhat limited given the story's placement before the end of Z, but compelling.

Deck Knight

Pros and Cons of this:

Cons - Obviously this is some sort of stop, break, or hiatus from DBS of an unknown length.

Pros - IF Super comes back, it doesn't need to be written into its odd canon timing-corner, it can focus on different characters with or without a time-skip, it can elevate Goku or Vegeta to more paragon roles instead of main characters - basically it gives the DBS team a fresh start knowing they have a cash-cow property to back it up. Anticipation and hype for release next year will be off the charts, too.

Super shouldn’t have existed, it’s been shown time and time again that rebooting 80s series in the modern era has only shown to lead to disappointment and frustration.

Over all, seeing my 2 favorite characters become emasculated is not something I’m a big fan of, DB - Z - GT Goku is one of my biggest motivations for working out and actually getting stronger, (with the hopes that I will be a motivation for my future son, it honestly sucks being a millennial when you have to use fictional characters from a more masculine era media wise as motivation as opposed to your actual parents) but now he’s a complete selfish child, who gets tossed around by everyone, as opposed to getting tossed around by a few characters, getting back up, and finding a win. (Goku giving up vs. Beerus without any back up was the death of Goku’s character, honestly.)

I’ve gone over why they completely screwed up Trunks so much that I don’t think there is any point in angering myself just typing out how Super destroyed my favorite character, but basically Trunks became from humble and abnormally beef symbol of hope to nihilistic generic anime character.

DB - Z - GT is the timeline in my eyes, as it has been for 15 years. Super literally doesn’t exist to me, it literally just exists to ruin the series.

Last edited:
It is finally ending. I think I will do a party dancing at Super's grave. I have been predicting Super being bad ever since how bad the movie BoG treated Goku's character amoungs other terrible DB stuff like Minus and EoB not to mention the cashgrab called Kai. Here I thought Evolution was terrible, and it was more faithful as an adaptation retro actively than Super is a DB product.
But people eat this shit up like Superman vs. Batman.
The new DB movie will likely be just as bad or maybe even worse considering each new arc except for U6 was worse than the previous one. U6 was just boring as fuck until Kaioken was used before losing its magic in later arcs by getting reused countless times like SSJGSSJ.

The anime industry is terrible, I can't even imagine a decent Dragon Ball reboot from them which I would prefer over continuing the classic series. The reason I am for a reboot, is simply to fix the countless flaws and the power creep. Maybe the SSJ forms could be cut in numbers and get unique abilities to take them appart instead being more powerful. Then human and other races may compete.
But modern audience don't like slow paced series. Just let characters get power ups from drying, being prodigies or getting healed. Nobody cares about training sessions on screen.

all I am hearing is there is a chance for a GT remake
I highly doubt that because based on how much time animators have to waste to work on fights and scenes with a SSJ4. Why do you think SSJ3 doesn't appear as much as SSJ and SSJ2 in the anime but in the manga?
The only way I could see a GT remake is either by going the Digimon Tri route or scrap the original SSJ4 design and replace it with a SSJ recolor OR fans crowdfounding it which likely won't happen and even then, it will be bad under Toei's supervision.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
jiren's trump card/twist will be hes a ginyu type guy that hops bodies, cementing the pride troopers as a good guy ginyu tokusentai

Deck Knight

So Toppo is gonna get hella scary next ep. THE SHIRTS ARE COMING OFF!

THE MOUSTACHE OF JUSTICE!

I am hyped.

Not sure if Frieza was faking stamina loss or not. He certainly made it "look good."

Best Youtube Comment I saw on this ep:

" Krillin: "Oh no! Dyspo is dodging all of Freeza's attacks. What are we going to do?
'Piccolo: "What if we attach Dyspo to something incapable of dodging, like Gohan?" "

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Super shouldn’t have existed, it’s been shown time and time again that rebooting 80s series in the modern era has only shown to lead to disappointment and frustration.

Over all, seeing my 2 favorite characters become emasculated is not something I’m a big fan of, DB - Z - GT Goku is one of my biggest motivations for working out and actually getting stronger, (with the hopes that I will be a motivation for my future son, it honestly sucks being a millennial when you have to use fictional characters from a more masculine era media wise as motivation as opposed to your actual parents) but now he’s a complete selfish child, who gets tossed around by everyone, as opposed to getting tossed around by a few characters, getting back up, and finding a win. (Goku giving up vs. Beerus without any back up was the death of Goku’s character, honestly.)

I’ve gone over why they completely screwed up Trunks so much that I don’t think there is any point in angering myself just typing out how Super destroyed my favorite character, but basically Trunks became from humble and abnormally beef symbol of hope to nihilistic generic anime character.

DB - Z - GT is the timeline in my eyes, as it has been for 15 years. Super literally doesn’t exist to me, it literally just exists to ruin the series.
Ok I promised myself to not post on this thread too much or reply to posts because honestly you guys are finding flaws out of nothing and hating for (mostly) no legitimate reason whatsoever and I genuinely believe it's only because you grew up with dbz/gt and not super that you hate super, but your post is something else entirely.

Let's start with the first sentence. super is a direct sequel not a reboot. they didn't start from scratch, they continued where they left off. As for seeing your favourite characters being "emasculated", in-plot they literally get overpowered by a god who wasn't even using a quarter of his power. It's literally a god, and you're blaming goku for "giving up"? He didn't even give up. He keeps bringing up that he wants to have a rematch with beerus and even said before that ssb kaioken was something he had in the bag in order to surprise beerus with, but he had to bring it out way earlier than he thought. He's thinking of strategies and training constantly in order to win. I don't see how you think he gave up or how his L vs beerus was the death of his character. That point doesn't make sense.

Secondly, just because your role model was a muscular figure from the late 80s when you were a kid, doesn't mean there weren't any other role models, because there are. Even for millenials, there are plenty, you just decided on your own role model and that's fine. I don't really see the issue in that, or what you're saying. I actually don't even understand what you're trying to argue there at all, everyone has different role models.

And finally, Trunks's humble symbol of hope shtick was still the theme of his arc overall, I don't know what made you think otherwise. I will agree however that his arc's ending was very... anti-climatic. it could've been handled differently.

I agree super's quality of writing isn't as polished or as great as dbz, because Freeza had some good build up and is actually the best written character in the series, cell had the gohan and goku development shit, and vegeta was developing as a character throughout the series, but it's not that far off. If anything look at buu saga for horrible writing/plot, not super.

Ok I promised myself to not post on this thread too much or reply to posts because honestly you guys are finding flaws out of nothing and hating for (mostly) no legitimate reason whatsoever and I genuinely believe it's only because you grew up with dbz/gt and not super that you hate super, but your post is something else entirely.
I've tried liking Super, I've watched since the first episode, and up until 64 I was constantly thinking, "this isn't bad, but for some reason this just doesn't feel like Z or even GT." Seeing Kaioken Blue was cool, but none of the other series made me have to see anything new just to keep myself interested. It wasn't until episode 66 and 67 that I got mad, since it ruined my favorite part of the Buu saga, and my favorite arc in all of the Dragon Ball franchise. I'll get more into detail as to why later.

Let's start with the first sentence. super is a direct sequel not a reboot. they didn't start from scratch, they continued where they left off. As for seeing your favourite characters being "emasculated", in-plot they literally get overpowered by a god who wasn't even using a quarter of his power. It's literally a god, and you're blaming goku for "giving up"? He didn't even give up. He keeps bringing up that he wants to have a rematch with beerus and even said before that ssb kaioken was something he had in the bag in order to surprise beerus with, but he had to bring it out way earlier than he thought. He's thinking of strategies and training constantly in order to win. I don't see how you think he gave up or how his L vs beerus was the death of his character. That point doesn't make sense.
It's fine to lose. As a matter of fact, it's a necessary part of life, and you need persistance to be successful. Goku's persistence was nice, but the lack of care in the last part really got me. Goku just said, after tanking a blast, that that's all the power he had left and gave up. They didn't have to make Beerus lose either to make him still look like an unbeatable God. Just, instead of having Goku fall down after tanking the blast and saying that he gives up, have Goku still stand and have just enough energy to transform back. Beerus becomes impressed and state that he's impressed yada yada and that he won't blow up the universe. (It's mad close to what they already did, just needed a bit more of actual care and bam, Goku's character is preserved, while still making Beerus a badass.)

Secondly, just because your role model was a muscular figure from the late 80s when you were a kid, doesn't mean there weren't any other role models, because there are. Even for millenials, there are plenty, you just decided on your own role model and that's fine. I don't really see the issue in that, or what you're saying. I actually don't even understand what you're trying to argue there at all, everyone has different role models.
True, during the 80s there were a lot of masculine role models in the media. As much as I hate this hyper-individualism nonsense, due to it being the reason why we have completely destroyed collective institutions that kept society stable, (Including the family unit, a strong historic root and ties to your ancestors, and a care for your own people.) I can't deny that, besides Dragon Ball and other 80s Shonen, Clint Eastwood movies, Bruce Lee movies, etc. have used such forms of individualism to promote a more masculine man as well.

It WAS really the only masculine anime that hit the mainstream for Western audiences that transferred over to the 90s-2000s, though. Which was the era which traditional masculine dynamics was replaced with far more egalitarian values. Testosterone has been declining in men since the 1980s, so having an actual muscular role model in the form of Goku helped influence a lot to men raised in the 90s, that's why so many athletes say Dragon Ball Z was their inspiration. (https://uk.reuters.com/article/heal...clined-in-last-20-years-idUKKIM16976320061031)

This post gives a good tl;dr.
feelsbadman.jpg.png

And finally, Trunks's humble symbol of hope shtick was still the theme of his arc overall, I don't know what made you think otherwise. I will agree however that his arc's ending was very... anti-climatic. it could've been handled differently.
The ending of the arc literally had his entire future destroyed, causing all of his emotional and physical training he did to be in vain. Zamasu achieved his goals and there is no way for Trunks to return to his actual future. The ending was so blatantly disrespectful to his character that it ruined him. It was a ridiculous levels of nihilism, another evergrowing ideology which absolutely disgusts me.

I agree super's quality of writing isn't as polished or as great as dbz, because Freeza had some good build up and is actually the best written character in the series, cell had the gohan and goku development shit, and vegeta was developing as a character throughout the series, but it's not that far off. If anything look at buu saga for horrible writing/plot, not super.
I could talk about how false that is, and how terribly unoriginal and poorly written Super is, but honestly that would be missing the point., as the series was never about a good plot to begin with. The reason why Super sucks is because it fails to do what Z brought, raw masculine fights and energy. This part single-handedly makes the manga readable, despite having a garbage plot that at some points are even worse than the anime.

The Buu saga had some of the best fight scenes in Z. As a matter of fact, let's dissect what makes this fact give off that vibe that makes you want to pump iron and train non-stop.
Super Buu vs Mystic Gohan

The pacing of this fight is a lot slower than in Super, the pauses are a lot more apparent - instead of instantly going from one punch to another, there is a few seconds added in per punch, adding far more weight to it. Power scale is a lot more clear, and you're truly able to feel like Gohan is bodying Super Buu, as he's getting tossed around for a solid 11 minutes slowly, as opposed to a 7 minute rush between Vegito and Zamasu in the anime, which had attacks that honestly felt like Vegito wasn't doing much. It was just way too fast paced, focused more on being flashy than the actual punches. Z didn't utilize a whole lot of techniques, just simple punches, beams and balls for the most part, but it succeeded in giving us a raw, masculine feel that far outclasses stuff you see in modern anime like Super, Naruto, Bleach, etc..

Toei Animation had a significantly smaller budget, and given the nature of hand drawn animation, they had to use a lot of techniques and be more careful with their chereography. Instead of just dumping money in, they had to use smaller budget techniques that required less complex drawings. A lot more focus was on the environment, using loops of clouds looming or mountains being slid in half to convey intense action even if you literally couldn't see them fighting. That's why even the hand drawn style from Dragon Ball has significantly more weight to it than any fight from Super, despite being drastically less flashy, and requiring a lot less of a budget. Toei has just forgotten how to do choreography like it used to, and as a result, Super has failed to remotely replicate the feel of Z, and falls flat on its face.

Last edited:
I don't understand the mindset of people that keep using Z or the other 2 DB series as scapegoats to defend Super. I hate argument "Sure, its not perfect." but why should I now criticize DB/Z/GT just because there is something I hate about Super?
If you want to see those series criticized, there are plenty of people doing videos on specific topics Toriyama fucked up especially in the Cell Saga. Though the clusterfuck called Super has arc and character damaging plotholes and inconsistencies... and that a lot.

If anything look at buu saga for horrible writing/plot, not super.
You do know that the Buu Saga gave Vegeta's character closure to finally stop chasing after Goku and maturing as a character which Super casually destroyed and it actually had something called tension which Super lacks since its release because End of Z was confirmed to be final (which is why Super is neither a sequel nor reboot but a continuation which takes place between the Buu Saga and End of Z.).
Those ingridience alone make it far superour to Super. Besides, the concepts of Super's arcs are at best Buu Saga level and the writing is significantly worse when you look at the regression countless characters went through like Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Roshi or how Future Trunks' character was completely destroyed.
Unless you want to argue that a God that slept during the entire story dreamed about a prophecy (always a great idea for a concept) of a SSJG which conviniently needed 6 pure hearted Saiyan being better than a demon being sealed until now but happened to be on earth conviniently. Or how about Evil Goku, Frieza training for 4-6 month, a tournament without stakes and another tournament with rules only when it is convinient?

Just, instead of having Goku fall down after tanking the blast and saying that he gives up, have Goku still stand and have just enough energy to transform back. Beerus becomes impressed and state that he's impressed yada yada and that he won't blow up the universe.
This happened in the BoG movie and manga. The anime fixed that with Bills falling asleep as an excuse not to destroy the planet and probably the only good thing about the arc. But ToP arc mentally challenged Goku is a different story.

Deck Knight

Not to jump into anything, but the overall Buu writing as a completed arc was fine, especially in regards to Vegeta's character. The pacing however, was absolutely abominable. Fat Buu fights dragged on way too long, the path from Fat Buu to Evil controlled Buu was convoluted, Gotenks ultimately did nothing because they had to have Goku come back... Buu was just, it seemed like they didn't know what they actually wanted until the very end.

Although I think Toriyama did an interview once where he said the Cell Saga was supposed to be the last arc of DBZ, and so everything leading up to its end was pretty smooth, transitioning from Mecha Freeza's death to introduce Trunks over to the Androids as a threat over to Cell as a threat. Cell manipulating multiple characters until he gained perfection, and then the big Father-Son symbolic Kamehameha after Gohan's feral rage cost his dad his life.

Super by contrast made Goku way too stupid and forgetful, especially in the Future Trunks arc. They're writing him better now, but that had to be the low point of Goku idiocy. The movies kind of made the first two arcs seem redundant, but you can argue that was a function of re-launching a DB series and trying to get some bank and some public interest, and more time for the writers to come up with the ideas for the U6 Arc and ToP. In fairness, I did like the execution of Goku Black and Zamasu, and Zamasu ended up being a villain like Freeza where you just love to hate that guy. I've also warmed to Jiren as an antagonist / rival (he really doesn't qualify as a villain per se) now that he's shown more emotion and dialogue than blank stares and looking cool.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
fuck it im not making a new thread. anyone here got fighterz? i picked it up for ps4 and im enjoying it a LOT. the story mode is kinda lackluster but it has some of the tightest controls in a fg i've seen in a long time. giving me my mvc2 fix

fuck it im not making a new thread. anyone here got fighterz? i picked it up for ps4 and im enjoying it a LOT. the story mode is kinda lackluster but it has some of the tightest controls in a fg i've seen in a long time. giving me my mvc2 fix
the story is total dogshit, it angers me as much as Super. (How hard is it to literally just follow Z instead of making some cringe fanfic) I need a PS4 DBZ game though, so I might get it. Especially since Guilty Gear is pretty dope.

PSN ID is Quickbobhero for if I do get it.

FighterZ would be a day one buy for me if it was on the switch and had at least Broly, SSJ4 Goku and Mr Satan as playable characters. Characters that should be standards by now, but honestly I don't mind after seeing how disappointing the story is.
But I guess people that love meta jokes, horny female buu and Frieza keep returning will have a field day with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)