Dragonite (Placeholder)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender

Dragonite

[Overview]
  • Dragonite is one of the bulkiest dragons, with 91/95/100 defenses.
  • Great Attack coupled with good Special Attack make it a fearsome sweeper.
  • Two good abilities to pick from.
  • Boasts awesome Offensive and Defensive Movepool.
  • Low Speed and weakness to Stealth Rock are its biggest problems.
[SET]
name: MixNite
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Superpower / Earthquake
move 3: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 4: Roost / Extremespeed
item: Life Orb
ability: Inner Focus / Multi Scale
nature: Rash
evs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 Spe

Set Description:
  • Excellent Wall Breaker due to its incredible power and coverage with 4 moves.
  • Can be used as a Lead thanks to its great power coupled with Priority.
  • Must be careful of everything faster, as its not as bulky as other Dragonite sets.
Additional Comments:
  • The 4 moves depend on what you want it to do. As a Lead, it needs Draco Meteor, one of Superpower and Earthquake, the Special Fire move, and Extremespeed. As a late game sweeper you can use Roost over Extremespeed.
  • The item relates to the ability. If you are going to use a Life Orb Lead, you can pick between Inner Focus and Multi Scale. Multi Scale lets you survive Aerodactyl, Starmie, Borutorosu and faster leads so you can OHKO them, but its pretty much deadweight against slower ones like Gigaiasu. Inner Focus can be used for Fake Out leads and Scarfed flinchers like Jirachi or Shaymin-S. If you plan on using Lum Berry lead, Multi Scale is easily the best ability to have.
  • As a Lead it can beat a very big amount of opponent leads, like Kojondo, Starmie, Borutorosu, Deoxys-S, and others, while still hitting hard in the midgame and supporting by revenge killing with Extremespeed.
  • It can easily break Stall due to Roost.
Teammates and Counters:
  • Teams that want to start with a number advantage instead of fast layers will love Dragonite.
  • Dragonite will more often than not kill a key Pokemon, like Nattorei, Skarmory, or basically everything that doesn't resist Draco Meteor, so things that appreciate Steels down like Scizor and Espeon are useful with Dragonite.
  • Rapid Spin Support is very good for Dragonite.
  • Burungeru can take two Draco Meteors and Recover, making it one of the best Counters. Blissey and Snorlax work too if its lacking Superpower. Shandera can work by stalling Draco Meteors if its lacking Earthquake. Steels can switch in on Draco Meteor but have to be very careful of the Fire move.
[SET]

name: Offensive Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Outrage
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Extremespeed / Fire Blast
item: Life Orb
ability: Multi Scale
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Set Description:
  • Similar to the Scarf set due to the movepool. This set is more of a hit and run Pokemon, entering the battlefield, hitting as hard as possible and then leaving or keep hitting depending on matchup.
Additional Comments:
  • Modest can be used over Timid in order to hit even harder, as you still outspeed most stuff, however you may want to go for max Speed Timid because outspeeding max Speed Jolly Swords Dance Ononokosu, Jolly Lucario, and other Base 95s and lower may be game deciding.
Teammates and Counters:
  • Its a good idea to pair Sazandora with things that enjoy its resists, so Pokemon like Goruugu, Shandera, Skarmory, and Blaziken all love to be able to have backup on Sazandora.
[SET]
name: Bulky Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Roost
move 3: Dragon Claw
move 4: Earthquake / Heal Bell
item: Leftovers
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 160 Spe / 96 SpD

Set Description:
  • Mixed Sazandora is a potent threat, as it boasts very good mixed power, and STAB Dragon moves which are known for being powerful on both sides of the spectrum, and Sazandora is not an exception to the rule.
Additional Comments:
  • The EV spread is enough to beat Neutral Nature Lucario, Warubiaru, Zekrom, Reshiram, and other base 90s, while outspeeding max Speed Positive Nature Base 80s by 1 point and Gyarados, which means Shandera, Wargle, and everything under them, like Heatran and Daikenki.
Teammates and Counters:
  • Pokemon that appreciate Blissey and other Special Walls down will love being with Mixed Sazandora, like Empoleon, Heatran, and more.
[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Outrage
move 2: Extremespeed
move 3: Superpower / Earthquake
move 4: Fire Punch
item: Choice Band
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Set Description:
  • Like the Special Based Mix set, this Sazandora is very powerful and can easily sweep or tear big holes on the opponent's team.
Additional Comments:
  • EV spread lets you outspeed the same as the Special Based Mix, while the SpA EVs assure the OHKO on Skarmory, Forretress, Scizor, Nattorei, Genosect, and Aianto, while also letting you 2HKO Max/Max Bronzong all the time.
Teammates and Counters:
  • Again, Pokemon that like Blissey down will love to be paired with Sazandora, but this time you can also add things that hate Ghosts, as Crunch will dispatch them.
[Team Options]
  • Sazandora really loves Layers in order to gain some crucial KOs, so coupling it with things like Skarmory, Forretress, and Nattorei is always a good idea.
[Optional Changes]

• Cheer Up can be used on the mixed set, but it rarely will do anything as Sazandora's biggest problem is its speed.
[Counters]
  • Sazandora will more often than not get revenge killed, opposed to something switching in on an attack and instantly threatening to KO, due to its monstruous power but slow speed.
[Dream World]
  • Sazandora does not get a Dream World ability.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The sets are fine, but their comments everything else seems to be discussing your Sazandora placeholder thread, and not Dragonite.

Would it also be possible to create a Dragonite defensive set, or at least make comments about it in Optional changes? I'd imagine that with Multi Scale and it's wide variety of support moves including Dragon Tail, Thunder Wave, Heal Bell, Light Screen (and Roost), it'll be viable.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
i usually c/p my old analyses to use as the backbone of new ones and i go removing the stuff from the other mon adding the stuff from the new one, sorry if it caused confusion.
so yeah if you ever see my analysis like that please do not say it, i KNOW it, its a WIP after all

and im not so sure of defensive dragonite, even with multiscale it seems like the strong pokemon will overwhelm it easily, but ill test it.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to mention Dream World abilities that haven't been released outside of the Dream World section, so a few of the sets need to have Multi Scale removed.

I believe Multi-Scale is out now according to the Dream World thread.

Yeah though, gotta recommend cleaning out the Sazandora comments, pretty confusing even if it says placeholder.

I think you should slash Fire Punch along Earthquake and Heal Bell, or at least mention it on the Bulky Dance set. Not getting walled to death by Nattorei and Skarmory is really important for that set; not to mention that it allows Dragonite to hit Balloon Doryuuzu and OHKO Scizor after one Dragon Dance and Stealth Rock.

(I am really sorry if I should not be posting here.)

The coverage move on the DD set should have Fire Punch, Waterfall, and Earthquake all slashed on it, IMO... If you're running DD/DClaw/Exspeed as your first three moves, you'll always be walled by something, no matter what you use as your coverage move... Waterfall isn't mentioned on the set, but it pretty much hits everything but Nattorei alongside Dragon Claw, which is worth a mention, I think. So basically, Earthquake can't hit SkarmZong, Fire Punch can't hit Heatran, and Waterfall can't hit Nattorei. Really, it's just a matter of what your team is prepared to take out.

...of coruse, just running Magnezone can take care of two or more of those scoundrels, though. Magnezone definitely needs mentions in all of the Teammate sections.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Heal Bell is illegal with Multi Scale so you'll need to remove it from the Bulky set.

It's also illegal with Superpower, for reference sake. Those are the only major casualties.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Roost is also most likely illegal with Multi Scale as well. You can only find Marvel Scale Dratini and I highly doubt they come with Roost seeing as they can't learn it in 4th gen.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Dragonite learns Roost as a level-up move (although it needs to be Heart-Scaled or whatever the 5th Gen equivalent is).

I've been using a rain dragonite, specs, SpA maxed, and uses Thunder, Gale, Surf and Dragon Pulse. It is the only Pokemon to learn both variations of Thunder, and also has a good SpA and Surf. I guess Draco Meteor could work instead of Dragon Pulse. It is also legal with Multi Scale.

reyscarface

World Defender
Ive received countless of questions as to why there are Sazandora mentions in this analysis, at least 20, so im going to go ahead and ask you to PLEASE read the thread:

i usually c/p my old analyses to use as the backbone of new ones and i go removing the stuff from the other mon adding the stuff from the new one, sorry if it caused confusion.
so yeah if you ever see my analysis like that please do not say it, i KNOW it, its a WIP after all
I repeat: I KNOW THERE ARE SAZANDORA MENTIONS IN THIS ANALYSIS, THATS HOW I WORK ON THEM, PLEASE STOP ASKING ABOUT IT.

As for finishing this, I lost motivation due to some stuff that happened a few days ago, so i'm not sure if ill finish this soon. Thanks for all your feedback and comments, though. Very appreciated.

Rhys DeAnno

Slacking Off
For Rey or anyone who takes this over, Ive had a lot of success with Lum Berry on the Offensive DD Set with Multiscale (Adamant DD/DClaw/EQ/Fire Punch). When leading with it its pretty much impossible to stop it from getting its DD, and even Adamant +1 Max Speed ties Shaymin-S at 388. Also, the recoil of LO sort of hurts all the good bulk it has and doesn't work well with Multiscale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)