Dragonite (Rain Special Attacker) (QC 2/3)

jrp

Banned deucer.
Not a fan of the name, it's a bit wordy but it's what PK recommended i use but if anyone has a better name for it please give me one

tried this on a rain team on a whim and was really impressed with it. It lures in stuff like gliscor and skarm which get neutered by a Hurricane and can set up on most stuff in the meta

name: Agility Rain Sweeper
move 1: Agility
move 2: Hurricane
move 3: Thunder
move 4: Surf / Aqua Tail / Superpower
item: Life Orb
ability: Multiscale
nature: Timid / Naive
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Dragonite has always been known for its massive offensive movepool, being gifted with a cornucopia of options. Although Dragonite is primarily known for its role as a bulky physical attacker, it has the ability to catch its common checks off-guard by taking advantage of its fantastic special movepool. Things that commonly come in on Dragonite are taken out easily, with Ferro

name: Agility Rain Sweeper
move 1: Agility
move 2: Hurricane
move 3: Thunder
move 4: Aqua Tail / Surf / Superpower
item: Life Orb
ability: Multiscale
nature: Naive / Rash
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Allows Rain Dragonite to take a more sweeping oriented role instead of wallbreaking
  • Lets Dragonite abuse its wonderful special movepool in the rain to lure out things that would normally wall it
  • Blasts the common physical walls that would normally wall Dragonite
  • Hurricane is extremely strong, able to 2hko ferro after a layer of spikes
  • multiscale lets it tank a hit and set up an agility
  • outsped by Scarf Keldeo if it doesn't run a +speed nature
  • superpower ohkos tyranitar and 2hkos blissey
  • rash nature lets it ohko most of the meta but leaves it outsped by common scarf users

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • can run modest or timid with surf to ohko thundurus-t after sr
  • can use dragon pulse to hit dragons harder although most dragons don't like hurricane at all

Last edited:
I'd name the set "Agility" since its the same thing as the Mixed Rain set on-site wo/ Agility.If you have Superpower, DD should be slashed IMO, and Thunder provides good neutral coverage, and wo/ Superpower, only Ferrothorn and Lightningrod Zapdos walls the set to name the viable ones. Tyranitar and Jirachi are a huge nuiscance to the set wo/ Superpower and since it's rain based, why not use Surf. It gains pseudo-STAB in rain, defeats SDef Jirachi and T-Tar. Zapdos is screwed too. Also, AC Roost.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Dragonite already has so many sets on-site, and this is essentially the Rain Mixed set with Agility > ExtremeSpeed. I don't want to clutter Dragonite's analysis further with a redundant set.

Agility can stay in OO, imo.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Dragonite already has so many sets on-site, and this is essentially the Rain Mixed set with Agility > ExtremeSpeed. I don't want to clutter Dragonite's analysis further with a redundant set.

Agility can stay in OO, imo.
No, Pocket, this is an entirely different set. It is more of a sweeper, not a hole puncher.

That being said, if this set is indeed as good as jrp says, then it should be on-site. It doesn't matter how many sets are already there, really.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Some explanation behind Thunder would be good to see. Unless I'm really missing something you probably ought to slash Surf behind it (more powerful in rain and less reliant on it at the same time). What exactly is Thunder there for?

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
^Parafusion. lol

But seriously, I get that surf has more power, less rain reliance, and has very similar effective coverage when paired with flying--

Thunder is overall more dangerous to steel-types like Jirachi just because of that 30% chance of grabbing Paralysis.

Hmmm... that said, on the matter of Steel-types, all of the OU ones are hit neutral by hurricane except for Jirachi, Metagross, Skarmory, Magnezone, and Heatran. Skarmory would get destroyed by Surf in rain, and Heatran is obviously more afraid of Surf than Thunder. That leaves Jirachi, Metagross, and the odd Bronzong (and very very odd Empoleon) as the only Steel-types that really factor here.

Thunder works better for Rotom-W...

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
jukain, I am aware of the difference in roles between the on-site Rain Mixed vs this Agility set, but I don't think 3 obscure Rain sets are appropriate in our analysis - two is more than enough to get the point across ("Dragonite can take advantage of Rain"). The Dragonite analyses is already very cluttered atm, despite the recent clean up.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Tested the set myself a week or 2 ago, and can vouch for it being very effective. Therefore I 100% disagree with Pocket and suggest that he tests the set for himself. The set isn't "redundant" with any of Dragonite's other sets, nor should Dragonite having "so many sets" be the primary reason to deny an analysis.

I ran Hurricane / Thunder / Surf because I think I wanted to hit Jirachi harder, as well as hitting Hippowdon decently (I didn't like chancing 2 Hurricane in a row). No problems with Superpower getting a mention (or even main slash) tho.

Thunder as a move isn't essential - it was usually used to hit Skarmory / Politoed / Rotom-W / Jellicent which I guess are nice pokemon to hit. Paralysis again, was also fairly nice as well. I also ran Leftovers which, while the power drop sucking, wasn't utterly terrible since it kept my multiscale intact, making it tougher to be revenge killed. It meant something like Tyranitar / Hippowdon couldn't switch in, remove my MS and then attempt a revenge or something (I usually used Dragonite as a mid game wallbreaker, then would agility late game and clean).

Don't really care about the set order tbh.

Surf needs to be mentioned / slashed somewhere, and Thunder being mentioned is going to depend on how important it is to beat Jellicent (which hard walls you w/o Thunder iirc).

jukain, I am aware of the difference in roles between the on-site Rain Mixed vs this Agility set, but I don't think 2 obscure Rain sets are appropriate in our analysis
You know they do different things right?

Pocket

That's not the only reason. My main beef is that the Agility set isn't really specific to Rain. There can very well be a physical AgilityNite or a non-rain mixed AgilityNite.

But if we really want to pass this set, Aqua Tail > Superpower to hit Steels (not vulnerable to Thunder) the hardest, while still 2-shotting Blissey with SR and Tyranitar / Hippowdon.

EDIT: alrighty I'll shut up until I try it out then

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So?

Like no offence man, but I still don't see your argument. If you tested the set and it failed for you then fine, I fully understand a rejection or something, but what I don't quite get is the implication that you will reject the set (or that this shouldn't be a set) based on Dragonite having "lots of sets".

Worth noting that physical Agility Nite in this Gen is prolly worse due to suffering from severe competition to DD, as well as not getting past the standard checks / counters to Dragonite.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thunder should probably be slashed alone as it gives valuable coverage against Skarmory, Gyarados, Jellicent, Politoed, and Rotom-W. Also it is worth mentioning that if you want to eliminate Skarmory with this set, the best idea is probably to hit it with Thunder on the switch, 'cause the moment the opponent sees Agility he will suspect a special set and will hesitate to bring Skarmory in.

In the third slot i think that all of Superpower, Surf, and Aqua Tail should be slashed.

Superpower is a good choice to OHKO Tyranitar and Blissey, and most Kyurem-B after SR (Hurricane won't OHKO most of the time), but a Water move would be the superior move most of the time. Surf OHKOes Landorus-T and 2HKOes any Hippowdon, while still covering Steel-types such as Heatran and Jirachi (Ferrothorn is taken care of by Hurricane, as Superpower hits harder for just 5% damage overall). On the other hand, Aqua Tail 2HKOes Tyranitar and Blissey, has 50% chance to OHKO SpD Heatran which would otherwise Roar Dragonite out. Both Water-moves OHKO Thundurus-T after SR, and Aqua Tail has the added advantage of OHKOing Jolteon too after SR. For this reason i think that the 3rd slash should be like this:

Aqua Tail / Surf / Superpower

this set is great. a lot of more offensive teams rely on outrunning dnite with a scarfer and agility is a nice surprise. it likes sr + spikes backing it up to get kills easier. i'd call it "agility rain sweeper" btw because special attacker makes it sound more like a wallbreaker.

qc approved 1/3

jrp

Banned deucer.
just got back to my laptop. Going to add.

(note that when I initially brought this set up to PK it had Surf on it but i changed it to superpower)

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It all depends on how you want to use this set. If you want to use it as a lure to Ttar in order to win the weather war then Superpower is the best option, but if you want it to make a better late-game sweeper then a Water-type move is the best option to sweep better under rain (meaning you should first win the weather war) as after you hit Tyranitar with Superpower you can barely sweep with two moves that have 70% accuracy and another move that is unSTABed and has effectively 80 BP (Suerpower after one use).

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
heya, you're missing teammates.

they're kind of important.

In all seriousness, you have to mention some partners in AC. I assume Politoed would be a decent start, as would hazard setters. I'd probably mention something that can smack Latias. I have to missing some stuff. Just...elaborate on what you would run to support it.

jrp

Banned deucer.
I wrote this while on my ipod and haven't been online since i initially put it up. I'm going to address this in the writeup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)