Drapion (Analysis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

[Overview]

<p>While Drapion hasn't gotten anything noteworthy from Gen 5, it already has everything it needs to succeed in its OU niche. It's one of only three phazing Toxic Spikers (the others being Nidoqueen and Nidoking), the fastest of the three with 95 base Speed, and the only one that can effectively wall Reuniclus. Its 110 base Defense provides good bulk and while it has less-than-stellar Sp. Defense, its Poison/Dark typing gives it an immunity to Psychic and a resistance to Ghost, two largely special attacking types. It can also put a dent in several Pokemon with its 90 base Attack. All in all, Drapion is an excellent niche Pokemon that shouldn't be underestimated.</p>

[SET]

name: Toxic Spikes
move 1: Toxic Spikes
move 2: Taunt / Whirlwind
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Earthquake
item: Leftovers
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p> This set is Drapion's main draw in the OU enviroment. Due to its bulk and speed, it can easily get two layers of TS in. Taunt can prevent other Pokemon, such as Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Skarmory, from setting up and prevents Reuniclus from beating you, while Whirlwind is there for phazing. Crunch gives it a reliable STAB for beating Ghosts and Psychics. Earthquake is the best option for the fourth moveslot, as it hits Steels and Poisons, two common enemies of Toxic Spikers, super effectively.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Balloon can be used instead of Leftovers to negate Drapion's one weakness, but could be risky since in is lost after one hit.</p>

<p>Knock Off can be used instead of Taunt/Whirlwind, or instead of Crunch if you're going for a more pure stall.</p>

<p>Wish support is recommended, as Drapion has no real form of reliable recovery.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>A Pursuit and/or Choice Band set could be used, but Drapion is going to have trouble sweeping in the Gen V Ou enviroment. A gimmick set with Sniper, Scope Lens, and high-crit-ratio attacks could also be used for laughs. </p>

[Checks & Counters]

</p>Mischevious Heart Taunters, like Whimsicott or Thunderus, can prevent Drapion from using TS and Whirlwind, thus negating the whole point of the set. Nidoking can absorb Toxic Spikes as well as hit Drapion for STAB Encourage-boosted ground-type moves, although Drapion is faster and could EQ Nidoking before this happens. Skarmory is not only immune to Toxic Spikes even when grounded, but to Earthquake also, plus it can phaze Drapion as well. Breloom is also problematic not only because of Poison Heal, but also due to Spore, although it will have a bit of a tough time KOing Drapion. </p>

[Dream World]
<p>Drapoin gets Keen Eye in the Dream World... which is pretty much useless compared to the other abilities.</P>

I don't see the point in Claw Sharpen/Hone Claws being slashed in, since it only increases Aqua Tail's accuracy. A Toxic Spiker set should be on here somewhere, maybe Choice Band, and Specially Defensive trapper with Pursuit.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
No mention of Toxic Spikes + Whirlwind? IMO, Drapion makes a great utility Pokemon, and with a complimentary phazing move, I think it could stand a chance in OU. It's also very defensive, so it's actually practical.

Poor Drapion got nothing. Before the stats came out for gen 4 I thought this thing would be like the Salamence of DP ...

In OU his only utility is Toxic Spiking, and even then he's mostly outclassed with his horrible defensive typing.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
his typing is not THAT bad. I used him in OU (in Gen 4 mind you) instead of Tentacruel and Roserade and Forretress thaks to his speed and decent bulk. I ran Toxic Spikes/taunt/Crunch/EQ with basically max HP and Speed and it did exceptionally well with that lovely 95 base speed. Could take a fair bit of punishment as well (even STAB'ed Earthquakes). Agreeing that a Toxic Spike set needs to be on there as that's pretty much what he is best at.

Toxic Spikes is pretty much Drapion's best set, since he can abuse his excellent defensive stats and typing to get down 3 layers easily. Add that, and a Pursuit set-maybe a CB one, and expand all your sections. You also need to be more detailed, since most of your current comments are vague, one lined sentences.

Just a nitpick, but Drapion is far from a fearsome sweeper with merely passable offensive stats of 90 / 95, and the same was true last gen.

As others have noted, Toxic Spikes is its main draw.

He gets Whirlwind, as well, making him the only phazing Toxic Spiker, near as I can tell.

-edit- Nevermind, the Nidos get Dragon Tail. My mistake.

What are the benefits of using Aqua Tail over Ice Fang? I understand that it has higher base power, but you already have Earthquake to hit Steel, Rock, and Fire types, while Ice Fang will give you coverage over the Dragons and Fliers of the tier. I think that it pairs better with Earthquake and Crunch than Aqua Tail does as far as coverage goes, and that really matters on a Swords Dance set.

Toxic Spikes is pretty much Drapion's best set, since he can abuse his excellent defensive stats and typing to get down 3 layers easily. Add that, and a Pursuit set-maybe a CB one, and expand all your sections. You also need to be more detailed, since most of your current comments are vague, one lined sentences.
I think you forgot that TSpikes only stack twice. Which is even better.

I'm sure that TSpiker is Drapion's niche set. Dark/Poison doesn't offer the best coverage. I guess you could go with a gimmick Focus Lens + Night Slash/Cross Poison set or something though for mega crits.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
minor nitpick but why are you running LO on a (lets face it), utility set. Leftovers imo is a much better option especially since you are running bulk over attack power. personally i would rather Battle Armour over Sniper but whatever floats your boat I guess.

Why isn't Balloon an option? No (immediate) weakness while setting up Toxic Spikes/to "sweep" is a great plus for Drapion, this generation.

-Zane

Acupressure works behind a sub now, you might want to make a bulky set that abuses it, its going to need support (somebody to kill phazers) to work but would make an amazing late game Poke...

P.S. with the right ev's and battle armor garchomp fails to 3hko and Drap can just rest off damage if i remember correctly, Jumpman made an awsome set that abused acupressure for battle tower

How would Weezing absorb Toxic Spikes? I thought levitating poisons didn't absorb those. Though immunity to Earthquake does keep him from doing anything Utility-wise.

Acupressure works behind a sub now, you might want to make a bulky set that abuses it, its going to need support (somebody to kill phazers) to work but would make an amazing late game Poke...

P.S. with the right ev's and battle armor garchomp fails to 3hko and Drap can just rest off damage if i remember correctly, Jumpman made an awsome set that abused acupressure for battle tower

Wouldn't you consider Acupressure to be too unpredictable and unreliable to use effectively in the competitive environment, especially since Drapion has no reliable recovery outside or Rest?

Wouldn't you consider Acupressure to be too unpredictable and unreliable to use effectively in the competitive environment, especially since Drapion has no reliable recovery outside or Rest?
I agree, however i think it would end up working like Inconsistant but without the drop in a stat and no evaision boost. Ill do some testing tonight, but with the right support i think it could be great.

I agree, however i think it would end up working like Inconsistant but without the drop in a stat and no evaision boost. Ill do some testing tonight, but with the right support i think it could be great.
It wasn't usable last generation, though. What makes it different this generation?

And, as I said, without instant recovery, Drapion is going to have problems with this anyways.

It works behind a Sub this generation thats a big difference (protection from status, additional time to boost) Drapion has decent typing, the right ability and just the right amount of bulk. With Acupressure boosting its defenses it becomes even bulkier. I have seen acupressure sets in the previous generation that worked well i think the ability to have a sub up while you are boosting will push it over the edge. I know its unreliable but its worth testing if not a mention in AC.

It works behind a Sub this generation thats a big difference (protection from status, additional time to boost) Drapion has decent typing, the right ability and just the right amount of bulk. With Acupressure boosting its defenses it becomes even bulkier. I have seen acupressure sets in the previous generation that worked well i think the ability to have a sub up while you are boosting will push it over the edge. I know its unreliable but its worth testing if not a mention in AC.
Seriously? He could use Substitute last generation, as well. That didn't change with the generation shift.

As far as boosting goes, it's too random to rely on. By the time you Substitute and Acupressure, your opponent could well have easily broken your Sub, and you'll have to start over. You might not secure the right boost you need, and you have no way to recover that lost damage outside of Rest or Leftovers/Black Sludge. Wish-passing isn't really an option, seeing that you'll want to stay in as long as possible to build up the boosts, and switching out ruins the strategy.

Drapion isn't as bulky as you're making it out to be. There are plenty of Earthquakes that exist in the OU tier that can OHKO him before or after one Substitute, even with really defensive spreads. Throw entry hazards and lack of recovery into the mix, and Drapion looks more and more frail. Waiting for luck to give you defense boosts isn't a strategy that many would play, and using Acupressure for any purpose outside of that is silly, seeing that he already has access to Swords Dance, Hone Claws, and decent speed.

The strategy COULD work in theory, and on paper it looks decent, but I really don't think any logical competitive battler will be willing to leave so much up to chance and luck, and would rather rely on a Pokemon who can boost more successfully. Acupressure does not belong on any competitively-viable set, and probably shouldn't be mentioned in the analysis at all.

Yes he got sub last gen i mentioned the difference between last gen and this one (acupressure works behind a sub now it didn't before) i didnt even try it behind a sub....

But anyways i played around with a mono attack set last night with Acupressure/sleep talk/rest/crunch, and it worked well but not good enough for its own set it was unreliable but with the right boost (evasion, Sdef, Atk) it was pretty fun to use and hard to stop, it just wasn't good enough. It's slightly frustrating getting a SpA and accuracy boost, but the real problem was making sure all the opponents phazers and bulky Earthquakers were eliminated it was like using a mono attack Gyrados with worse typing and the need for alot more support (with all the Donphans, Hipowdon, and Dory's running around).

P.S. My grammar is horrible i know :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)