Dratini (Update)

[Overview]
<p>Here we have Dratini, a scarred veteran of LC. At first glance, Dratini seems outclassed by other Dragon-types, such as Axew and Bagon, as its Attack stat is lower and its Speed stat leaves something to be desired. This might make you wonder: why isn't Dratini largely neglected? The answer to that lies in its ability and the size of its movepool, both of which far surpass Axew's and Bagon's. In addition, Dratini is far and away the cutest Dragon Dance user in the history of Pokemon, which alone should warrant it some usage.</p>

[SET]
name: Bulky Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Outrage
move 3: Rest
move 4: Fire Blast / Sleep Talk
item: Eviolite
ability: Shed Skin
nature: Jolly
evs: 28 HP / 4 Atk / 236 Def / 196 SpD / 36 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set takes advantage of Dratini's respectable bulk to set up multiple Dragon Dances. Dragon Dance is the crux of the set, and is the "crème de la crème" of any physical sweeper's movepool. Outrage is Dratini's strongest physical move, and after a couple of boosts, it OHKOes almost anything that doesn't resist it. Rest is Dratini's only form of recovery, but when paired with Shed Skin, it gives Dratini the chance to accumulate even more boosts, as well as getting rid of troublesome status and completely restoring Dratini's HP. Fire Blast gives Dratini perfect coverage alongside Outrage, as it destroys the Steel-types such as Bronzor that would otherwise stand in Dratini's way. Sleep Talk is also an option if you want Dratini to set up or attack while it is asleep.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread grants Dratini solid 21/21/21 defenses after factoring in Eviolite, which means that dratini is surprisingly hard to 2HKO with a defensive pokemon, letting dratini continue to stack its boosts with rest. A Jolly nature lets Dratini reach the coveted 19 Speed tier after a boost, tying with Misdreavus, Taillow, and Murkrow. It also lets Dratini outspeed popular Choice Scarf users, such as Chinchou and Mienfoo, after two boosts. Eviolite is the preferred item on this bulky set as it boosts Dratini's defenses, thus, allowing it to take hits even better. This set doesn't rely heavily on team support to function, as with its bulk, Dratini can take hits when it needs to. Good teammates includes ones that resist Ice-type attacks and can retain offensive pressure, or lure in Pokemon, such as Chinchou and Ponyta, that Dratini can set up on. Larvesta is an excellent choice as it does both and can get Dratini in safely with U-turn. Pokemon that can deal with Koffing and Hippopotas are also useful, as they wall this set. Frillish is another good choice as it resists Dratini's Ice-type weakness and easily handles Dratini's common checks such as Hippopotas and Koffing, provided it doesn't get the receiving end of a Toxic. Entry hazard support isn't strictly necessary for this set to function as this set can often grab another boost if it needs to if you know you can't KO the opposing pokemon.</p>

[SET]
name: Offensive Dragon Dance
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: ExtremeSpeed
item: Life Orb
nature: Lonely / Hasty
evs: 244 Atk / 36 SpA / 196 Spe
ivs: 0 HP

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Once Dratini's flagship set, offensive Dragon Dance Dratini has fallen from favor. However, it can still be very dangerous, especially to offensive teams that lack a counter to Dragon-types. Dragon Dance is the crux of the set, boosting Dratini's Attack and Speed to very high levels. Outrage is the standard STAB attack of choice, and deals huge amounts of damage after a boost. Fire Blast is also standard fare, as it does heavy amounts of damage to Steel-types, such as Bronzor, that resist Dratini's STAB move. ExtremeSpeed is what makes this set so fearsome, as it makes Dratini extremely difficult to revenge kill. Although Eviolite gives Dratini usable bulk and sometimes the opportunity to grab a boost or two, the lack of power right off the bat is very noticeable when using Eviolite, making Life Orb the best option most of the time. However, Eviolite is still viable and can occasionally give Dratini an extra boost to its defenses when it really needs it.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Lonely nature lets Dratini hit 21 Speed after a boost, outspeeding all non-boosted Pokemon in LC. However, if you feel Pokemon that hit 14 Speed and commonly carry a Choice Scarf, such as Shellder, are an issue, Hasty is a viable alternative as it enables Dratini to outspeed Shellder and beat it with Outrage. It should be noted that Choice Scarf Snover is not a problem for this set as Dratini is guaranteed to OHKO it with a +1 ExtremeSpeed after Stealth Rock damage. This set requires a lot of team support to pull off a sweep. A safe switch-in is essential, so any slow Pokemon with U-turn or Volt Switch, such as Nosepass, are useful to get Dratini in safely. Dratini will also appreciate the support of Substitute-passers such as Mienfoo. This grants Dratini a safe switch-in and greatly helps it set up safely. Be sure that all members of the opponent's team that can take a hit from Dratini and and KO it in return are weakened to KO range or are taken out, as this Dratini setreally can't afford to take a hit due to its frailty. Entry hazard support, particularly Stealth Rock, is vital for this set to function as it lets a +1 extreme speed KO things that would otherwise threaten it, such as the aforementioned Choice Scarf Snover or Murkrow.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Dratini has a vast movepool, but due to its slightly mediocre stats, it struggles to use a lot of its moves effectively. A mixed attacking set using Draco Meteor, ExtremeSpeed, Fire Blast, and Ice Beam with some hefty investment in Special Attack is probably Dratini's most viable option that isn't listed, as it defeats many of Dratini's common counters, such as Hippopotas and Koffing. However, it is reliant on surprise and, once your opponent knows that Dratini is a special attacker, it becomes much easier to counter than the listed sets. Dratini gets Dragon Rush as another other physical STAB option, but its good secondary effect and the fact that it doesn't lock you into a move still don't make up for its poor accuracy. A support set consisting of Dragon Tail, Thunder Wave/ Toxic, Light Screen, and Rest is reasonably effective, but is often let down by Dratini's middling defenses. Aqua Tail and Surf are options on either of the sets if you feel paranoid about Aron, and also deals a good amount of damage to Hippopotas without the binding effect of Outrage, but Dratini usually won't have space for such a niche move.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Dratini is usually not too difficult to counter. Physically defensive behemoths that can tank a Fire Blast, such as Koffing and Hippopotas, make for great counters, only fearing the odd mixed set as they can easily take a boosted Outrage and retaliate. Physically bulky Pokemon such as Lickitung and Timburr also make quite good counters as they also have the bulk to take an Outrage or two rather comfortably and hit back with their strong STAB attacks (or in Lickitung's case, Dragon Tail). Physically bulky Mienfoo in particular deserves a special mention as it is very easy to keep healthy thanks to its ability, Regenerator, and so can discourage Dratini to set up for almost as long as you like. Due to ExtremeSpeed, Dratini is much harder to revenge kill with offensive Pokemon. Fast Choice Scarf users that are immune to ExtremeSpeed, such as Misdreavus and Gastly, can take Dratini out with relative ease, but will have to be wary of Outrage as they switch in. Croagunk can check Dratini quite nicely with Fake Out and Vacuum Wave. As for more specialized counters, the best you can get would be Aron and Heat Proof Bronzor. Aron takes a pittance from any of Dratini's attacks, bar Aqual Tail or Surf, and can hit back hard with Head Smash. Bronzor resists Outrage, has the Special Defense to take a Fire Blast, and can set up on Dratini with Calm Mind or hurt it with Hidden Power Ice. If you have no dedicated counter to Dratini, the best way to take it out is simply to force it to use Outrage, and revenge kill it with a faster Pokemon.</p>

Your EVs look wrong. Look at all the other threads posted and look @ how they format their sets. move 1, ability, etc, shouldn't be capitalized. i would add a specially defensive rest talk dragon dance outrage set. I've tested it a lot and it sweeps like nothing else late game. Shed Skin + Rest is cool too.

and it's not gp 0/2 it's qc 0/2 so change that shit ttoo

Ok, format is sorted. I've added sleep talk as an option on the first set over fire blast but I don't personally think it's different enough to warrant its own set. So I'm guessing GP is only for the finished stage then(?)

The tag is still wrong; it should be (Quality Control), not (Copyediting). The analysis can only move on to the Copyediting or grammar checking stage once it has received all QC checks and been written up. Please consult this announcement for more information about the analysis writing process and C&C in general, as well as this one if you have any doubts about analysis format.

[SET]

[SET]

[SET]
name: Mixed Attacker
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: ExtremeSpeed
move 4: Ice Beam / Surf
nature: Hasty / Mild
evs: 84 Atk / 196 SpA / 196 Spe

Copy/paste this.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
You're not getting it are you?

Just Copy Tomahawk9's Post for every set, as that is the correct format

Your EVs look wrong. Look at all the other threads posted and look @ how they format their sets. move 1, ability, etc, shouldn't be capitalized. i would add a specially defensive rest talk dragon dance outrage set. I've tested it a lot and it sweeps like nothing else late game. Shed Skin + Rest is cool too.
Add that stuff or atleast test it. Other Options and Checks and Counters are not capitalized!

You're not getting it are you?

Just Copy Tomahawk9's Post for every set, as that is the correct format
I'm sorry, but I swear I edited it like tomahawk's, but the editer messed up and I got empty lines where I was writing :S. Anyway, I'm confused about this capitals format because some people have put certain things in capitals and others haven't, but I'm just going to go with everything in capitals except Other Options and Checks and Counters.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In my experience, the mixed attacker set is frankly awful. Can you give some logs showing its effectiveness?

No I'm afraid I can't. It can work, but it's generally not as effective as the dragon dance sets, which is why it's at the bottom. But I don't particularly feel inspired to defend it, so I'm fine to take it off if others want to and put it in OO.

Switch the order of the slashes in the first set (Sleep Talk / Fire Blast)

For offensive DD, AC Eviolite / Protect / Aqua Tail

Move Mixed to OO.

Mention support options in OO (Dragon Tail / Light Screen / Haze / Rain Dance / Sunny Day / Thunder Wave / Toxic)

The Dragon Tail mention is huge, so you can probably discuss a bulky set with like Dragon Tail / Rest / etc / etc.

Do all of that and QC 1/2. I dunno too much about Dratini so I would love other's input.

edit: Oh, and expand a bunch on teammates and checks / counters.

I'm still not completely convinced about sleep talk. I'm going to keep fire blast in front until I've properly tested sleep talk.

Dratini really needs life orb on his offensive set in my experience to sweep a decently healthy team. His bulk isn't really worth preserving with no investment in my opinion.

Expanded on support options and dragon tail as well as putting in aqua tail in OO.

I've put in all I could think of for c and c already, but if you have specific counters in mind which I've missed, please mention them.

P.S: give me a break em, it's my first analysis :(

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I would like its cuteness emphasized in the overview, as that is its best advantage over Bagles.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
For starters, you can be more specific than just "Steel-types." Mention Bronzor (esp. with HP Ice, but also mention how it might struggle if it has Toxic), Aron, Ferroseed if you don't have a Fire-types move. Lickitung can also phaze it out with Dragon Tail, stuff like that.

Go ahead and add some revenge killers in there too; Misdreavus and Murkrow have Icy Wind and generally high attacking prowess, Snover walks all over it before a DD, the rare Smoochum will give you nightmares of its awesome power.

QC 2/2

Ok, I'll put in bronzor, but he's still completely helpless against bulky DD as HP Ice will only 3hko and fire blast will 3hko bronzor first. CM bronzor with heatproof would be the best counter in all of LC though probably.

Aron is actually a good choice and I meant to put that in but forgot, good call.

Edit: ok, thanks for number 2, will get to writing up the full version fairly soon but don't take my word for it as I have quite a few exams next week.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
You have a ~60% chance of hitting three Fire Blasts in a row. Yes, you might beat Dratini most of the time, but it's not like Bronzor has no chance.

Please include the Protect / Aqua Tail in the AC of offensive. Eviolite is your call, but I think it should at least be mentioned as "an option for aiding set up at the expense of necessary power."

Some people really like that.

spuds would you mind looking over your work a bit? Firstly, you need to capitalize the names of Pokemons and moves like Timburr and Light Screen. Secondly, you need ptags(<p>) at the beginning of every paragraph and </p> at the end of each one. this is just me glancing over your writing so there's probably more. also, you should read the spelling and grammar standards thread so you can familiarize yourself with pokegrammar

standards thread

Cereza

Tastes Like Candy
placeholder

•add
•omit
•comments

[Overview]
<space>
<p>Here we have Dratini. A scarred veteran of LC. Upon first inspection At first glance, Dratini seems out-(remove hyphen)classed by its other dDragon-(add hyphen)types such as Axew and Bagon; brethren. it has A a lower aAttack stat than both of them Axew and Bagon and a its Speed stat is less-than-stellar speed stat. This might make you wonder why Dratini isn't largely neglected. But wait, unlike its rivals, Dratini's magic The answer lies in its ability and wide movepool, both of which far surpass Axew's and Bagon's. And if all this wasn't enough In addition, Dratini is far and away the cutest dDragon dDancer user in the history of pPokemon, which alone should probably warrant some usage.</p>

[SET]
<space>

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is rather different to Dratini's signature set in generation 4, but with the introduction of eviolite, Dratini has had to adapt to survive. This set is focused on using Dratini's respectable bulk to set up multiple dDragon dDances. Obviously, dDragon dDance is the crux of the set, and is the creme de la creme of any sweeper's movepool. Outrage is Dratini's most potent strongest physical move weapon, and as even with very little Attack investment, — after just a couple of boosts—, it will still be flattensing near-upon almost everything it that comes in contact with it. Rest is Dratini's only form of recovery, but when paired with sShed sSkin, it forces the opponent to have to bring down our little blue dragon Dratini to KO range for a revenge killer a second time, often with boosts. Fire bBlast gives Dratini perfect coverage alongside oOutrage in LC, as it destroysing any sSteel-(add hyphen) types that would otherwise dare stand in its way. Sleep tTalk is also and option if you want Dratini to gain boosts and dish out damage or attack, even when Dratini is asleep.</p>

<space>
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set has an advantage over other Dratini's sets as it is far less reliant on team support to function so with Dratini's bulk you can let it take hits when you need it to. A jJolly nature lets you Dratini reach the coveted 19 sSpeed tier after a boost, tying with Misdreavus, Taillow, and more. It also lets you Dratini out-(remove hyphen)speed popular cChoice sScarfers users such as like Chinchou and Mienfoo after two boosts. As far as team-mates go, Dratini enjoys having something teammates that can take resist iIce-type attacks and can retain offensive pressure or lure in out dDratini's common set<space>up baits:, such as Chinchou and Ponyta. Larvesta makeis an excellent choice as it does both and can get Dratini in safely with uU-turn. Pokemonacking something that can deal with this sets counters,—Koffing and Hippopotas—, are also would be useful too. Frillish is another good choice and as it resists Dratini's iIce-type weakness too.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<space>
<p>This set used to be Dratini's most common and effective, but with the LC metagame taking a more balanced stance after the advent of eviolite, this set isn't quite as dangerous as it was. Still, don't underestimate it, as it's menace to offensive teams. <Eviolite is nothing new, just make another intro for the set>Dragon Dance is obviously the crux of the set and this set attempts to sweep as well as possible with just one boost. Outrage is the standard STAB attack of choice which will as it moves mountains with its power after a boost. Fire bBlast is also standard fare, as it doesing heavy damage to sSteel-(add hyphen)types and nabbing a life orb boost. Extreme<space>sSpeed, however, is what makes dDratini so fearsome as it makes Dratini extremely (pun not intended) difficult to revenge kill with frailer pokemon. While Although eEviolite gives Dratini usable bulk and sometimes an the opportunity to grab a boost or two boosts, the lack of right of the bat power provided by lLife oOrb is very noticeable, so this makes lLife oOrb is the besttter option most of the time in the vast majority of situations.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>When choosing a nature, be aware that lLonely nature will lets Dratini hit 21 sSpeed after a boost, outspeeding all non-scarfers. However, if you feel pokemon that hit 14 speed and commonly carry a cChoice sScarf, such as Shellder, are an issue, hHasty is a viable alternative<how come?>. Note, choice scarf Snover is not a problem to this set as dratini is guarenteed to OHKO with a +1 extreme speed after stealth rock damage. Be wary that, when using this set, it will require a lot of team support to pull off a sweep. A safe switch is virtually essential, so any slow pokemon with u-turn or volt switch, such as Nosepass, are useful to get Dratini in safely. Dratini will also appreciate the support of sub-passers like Mienfoo. Be sure that all members of the opponent's team that can take a hit from Dratini and strike back are weakened to KO range as this Dratini set really can't afford to take a hit due to its frailty.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Dratini, as was mentioned earlier, has a vast movepool, but due to its slightly mediocre stats, it struggles to use a lot of its moves effectively. A mixed attacking set using Draco Meteor, Extreme Speed, Fire Blast, and Ice Beam with some hefty special investment is probably Dratini's most viable option that isn't listed as it defeats many of Dratini's common counters such as Hippopotas and Koffing. However, it is reliant on surprise and so if it became common, it would be uneffective. As for moves, Dratini gets Dragon Rush as its other physical STAB option, but the poor accuracy in exchange for the loss of power and not being locked into a move will generally not pay off. A Rest-talk set abusing marvel scale looks viable, but unfortunately marvel scale is illegal with sleep talk. Dragon Tail is an interesting option, and a just-about-viable support set could be run with moves like Thunder Wave, toxic, light screen or other selections from dratini's hoard of a movepool. Aqua tail and Surf are options on either of the sets if you feel paranoid about Aron, while also dealing good damage to Hippopotas without the lock-in effect of Outrage, but Dratini often finds its move-slots full before it can utilize such specialized options.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Countering Dratini is usually not too difficult to counter a task. Physically defensive behemoths that can tank stomach a Fire Blast, such as Koffing and Hippopotas, generally make great counters, only fearing the odd mixed set. Pokemon like such as physically bulky Mienfoo, Lickitung, and Timburr also make quite good counters. Bulky Mienfoo in particular deserves a special mention as it is very easy to keep healthy and so can discourage Dratini to set up for almost as long as you like. Beating Dratini offensively, though, is a much taller order as Dratini is infamous for carrying the deadly Extreme<space>Speed. If you want to beat Dratini offensively, you'll need a fast scarfer that doesn't care about Extreme Speed, like Misdreavus or Gastly but neither of them like to switch in on an Outrage. Strong priority zans sucker punch can mark a full stop to dratini, again, so long as the user can take a boosted extreme speed. Croagunk can check Dratini quite nicely with Fake Out and Vacuum Wave. As for specialized counters, the best you can get would be Aron and Heat Proof Bronzor, both of which take a pitance from all of Dratini's attacks (bar surf and aqua tail in aron's case) and Aron can strike back very hard. Bronzor will need to carry some way to boost its stats, however, if it wants to beat the bulky Dragon Dance set: like Calm Mind. If you have no good counter, the best way would probably be to force it to use Outrage which is when it is most vulnerable to revenge killers.</p>

Cereza

Tastes Like Candy
c/p will go here as I'm getting a headache /).(\

am check finished

[Overview]

<p>Here we have Dratini, a scarred veteran of LC. At first glance, Dratini seems outclassed by other Dragon-types such as Axew and Bagon; it has a lower Attack stat than both of them and its Speed stat is less-than-stellar. Which might make you wonder: Why isn't Dratini largely neglected?. The answer to that lies in its ability and movepool, both of which far surpass Axew's and Bagon's. In addition, Dratini is far and away the cutest Dragon Dance user in the history of Pokemon, which alone should warrant it some usage.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is focused on Dratini's respectable bulk to set up multiple Dragon Dance. Obviously, Dragon Dance is the crux of the set, and is the creme de la creme of any sweeper's movepool. Outrage is Dratini's strongest physical move, as even with very little Attack investment —after just a couple of boosts— is able to flatten almost everything that comes in contact with it. Rest is Dratini's only form of recovery, but when paired with Shed Skin, it forces the opponent to bring down Dratini to KO range for a revenge killer a second time, often with boosts<I just can't make any sense out of this sentence u.u>. Fire Blast gives Dratini perfect coverage alongside Outrage, as it destroys the Steel-types that would otherwise stand in Dratini's way. Sleep Talk is also an option if you want Dratini to boost or attack, even when asleep.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set has an advantage over other Dratini's sets as it is far less reliant on team support to function, as with its bulk, Dratini can take hits when it needs to. A Jolly nature lets Dratini reach the coveted 19 Speed tier after a boost, tying with Misdreavus, Taillow, and more. It also lets Dratini outspeed popular Choice Scarf users such as Chinchou and Mienfoo after two boosts. Dratini enjoys teammates that resist Ice-type attacks and can retain offensive pressure or lure in Dratini's common setup baits: Chinchou and Ponyta. Larvesta is an excellent choice as it does both and can get Dratini in safely with U-turn. Pokemon that can deal with this set counters —Koffing and Hippopotas— are also useful. Frillish is another good choice as it resists Dratini's Ice-type weakness.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p><new intro here> As this set focuses on attempting a sweep after a boost, Dragon Dance is obviously the first option. Outrage is the standard STAB attack of choice as it moves mountains with its power after a boost. Fire Blast is also standard fare, as it does heavy amounts of damage to Steel-types after Life Orb's boost. ExtremeSpeed is, however, what makes this set so fearsome as it makes Dratini extremely difficult to revenge kill. Although Eviolite gives Dratini usable bulk and sometimes the opportunity to grab a boost or two, the lack of right of the bat power provided by Life Orb is very noticeable, making Life Orb the best option, most of the time.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Lonely nature, along with the EV spread provided, lets Dratini hit 21 Speed after a boost, outspeeding all unboosted Pokemon in LC. However, if you feel that Pokemon that hit 14 Speed and commonly carry a Choice Scarf, such as Shellder, are an issue, Hasty nature is a viable alternative<how come?>. Note, Choice Scarf Snover is not a problem to this set as Dratini is guarenteed to OHKO it with a +1 ExtremeSpeed after Stealth Rock damage. Be advised, this set requires a lot of team support to pull off a sweep. A safe switch is virtually essential, so any slow pokemon with U-turn or Volt Switch, such as Nosepass, are useful to get Dratini in safely. Dratini also appreciates SubPass support from Pokemon such as Mienfoo. Be sure that all members of the opponent's team that can counter Dratini are weakened to KO range as this set really can't afford to take a hit thanks to Dratini's frailty.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Dratini, as was mentioned earlier, has a vast movepool, but because of its slightly mediocre stats, it struggles to use a lot of its moves effectively. A mixed attacking set with Draco Meteor, ExtremeSpeed, Fire Blast, and Ice Beam with some hefty Special Attack investment is probably Dratini's most viable option that isn't listed, as it defeats many of Dratini's common counters such as Hippopotas and Koffing. However, it relies on the surprise factor and if it became common, it would be uneffective. Dratini gets Dragon Rush as another physical STAB move, but the poor accuracy and loss of power in exchange for not being locked into a move does not pay off. Dragon Tail is an interesting option for a just-about-average support set, and can be run with moves such as Thunder Wave, Toxic, Light Screen or other selections from Dratini's wide movepool. Aqua Tail and Surf are options on either of the sets if you feel paranoid about Aron, and they also deal a good amount of damage to Hippopotas without the locking effect of Outrage, but Dratini often finds its moveslot full before it can utilize such specialized options.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Dratini is usually not too difficult to counter. Physically defensive behemoths that can tank a Fire Blast, such as Koffing and Hippopotas, make great counters, only fearing the odd mixed set. Pokemon such as physically bulky Mienfoo, Lickitung, and Timburr also make quite good counters. Bulky Mienfoo in particular deserves a special mention as it is very easy to keep healthy which discourages Dratini from setting up. Beating Dratini offensively, though, is a much taller order as Dratini is infamous for carrying the deadly ExtremeSpeed. If you want to beat Dratini offensively, you'll need a fast Choice Scarf user that doesn't care about ExtremeSpeed, such as Misdreavus and Gastly, however, neither of them like to switch in on an Outrage. Strong priority moves such as Sucker Punch can mark a full stop to Dratini, again, as long as the user can take a boosted ExtremeSpeed. Croagunk checks Dratini quite nicely with Fake Out and Vacuum Wave. As for specialized counters, the best you can get is Aron and Heat Proof Bronzor, both of which take a pitance from all of Dratini's attacks, bar surf and Aqua Tail in Aron's case, and can strike back very hard. Bronzor needs to carry some way to boost its stats Calm Mindhowever, if it wants to beat the bulky Dragon Dance set. If you have no good counter, the best way would probably be to force Dratini to use Outrage which is when it is most vulnerable to revenge killers.</p>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)