1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Dream World CCAT (Signups for laddering!)

Discussion in 'Dream World' started by Harsha, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Harsha

Harsha Rest In Beats
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    RMT Co-Leader

Extending the voting time for one more week. Please vote!
  2. Cherub Agent

Cherub Agent how lonely is the night without the howl of the wolf
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Double Dance Terrakion
    That Mushroom Thingy
    CB Mamoswine
  3. -Tsunami-

-Tsunami- ¡YA HA!
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

Dry Skin Jynx
    SubCM Jirachi
    Curse Quagsire
  4. Tomahawk

Tomahawk M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

Dry Skin Jynx
    Choice Specs Latios
    Choice Band Mamoswine
  5. Harsha

Harsha Rest In Beats
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    RMT Co-Leader

Welcome aboard, Double Dance Terrakion! We now have three team members, so I am going to throw out the rest of the nominations considering they are outdated. With that, we have this as our current team:

Meloetta @ Expert Belt
    Ability: Serene Grace
    EVs: 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
    Hasty Nature (+Spe, -Def)
    - Relic Song
    - Close Combat
    - Thunder
    - Hidden Power Ice

+

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Hidden Power Grass
    - Perish Song

+

Terrakion @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
    - Swords Dance
    - Rock Polish
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge

What does our team miss? I want to see more nominations and reasoning behind them! I'm sure we can make a successful team with Meloetta, and right now we seem to have sand and sun covered. Also, we have one less threat to deal with considering the banning of Blaziken. However, something we lack is a surefire way of dealing with Choice Scarf Chandelure. While Terrakion should do decently, we may end up losing Politoed in the process. We also lack a surefire counter to Garchomp and other sand sweepers, so I propose the same set as last time:

[​IMG]
    Bronzong @ Macho Brace / Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD | 0 Spe
    Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spe)
    - Trick Room
    - Gyro Ball
    - Earthquake
    - Hidden Power Ice

People, go wild! I want to see some more discussion!
  6. Jukain

Jukain .leaf
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor

Unnerve Tyranitar?
  7. bluemon

bluemon

no. unnerve means tyranitar has shitty sp.defense.

i suggest none other than our sweeper.... keldeo!

[​IMG]

keldeo@leftovers
    4hp 252Sp.atk 252Spd
    nature: timid
    -calm mind
    -substitute/hp ghost
    -hydro pump/surf
    -secret sword

or... we can use a manaphy

[​IMG]

manaphy@leftovers
    4Hp 252Sp.atk 252Spd
    nature: timid
    -tail glow
    -surf
    -ice beam
    -rest

or waiittt..... sharpedo!

[​IMG]

sharpedo@life orb
    148atk 252sp.atk 108spd
    nature:rash
    -protect
    -crunch
    -ice beam
    -hydro pump

Theyre all good.. couldnt pick. they all SHIT on chandelure
  8. Birkal

Birkal We have the technology.
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnus
    CAP Head Mod

Right now, we're missing hazards, which is pretty crucial for the Dream World environment, in my opinion. Since we're running Rain, why not try Ferrothorn?

[​IMG]

Ferrothorn @ Shed Shell
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - Stealth Rock
    - Leech Seed
    - Protect
    - Gyro Ball

Yep, this is pretty much taken from the onsite analysis (kindly provided to us by NixHex). It's a standard and it works, in my opinion. SR is a fantastic addition to our team and supports the switching games that Meloetta is surely going to be playing. I chose Protect + Leech Seed so we can do something to the likes of Garchomp, as opposed to Thunder Wave + Spikes. With Blaziken now gone, I don't think it's as vital to use Thunder Wave; we still could consider it for Genesect, at least. I chose Gyro Ball because I hate the accuracy of Power Whip, but we could potentially consider the latter to hit up on Manaphy.
  9. Jimbon

Jimbon FAKE TRAIN
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

This team is lacking a defensive backbone, meaning it can't handle the offensive threats that Dream World has to offer. This is what I propose.

[​IMG]

Skarmory (M) @ Shed Shell
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Spikes
    - Brave Bird
    - Whirlwind
    - Roost

Here we have it, the bread and butter Skarmory set. Skarmory does a very good job at setting up much needed hazards, aswell as walling a large amount of the Dream World tier. Spikes help the other team members snatch the much needed OHKO's from Meloetta and friends. Brave Bird helps to break Balloons and Focus Sashes aswell as acting as a last ditch effort to help other team members KO. Whirlwind removes the annoying Excadrills, Garchomps and Gliscors who like to set up and can sweep teams otherwise. Roost completes the set allowing Skarmory to replenish health effectively, and outstall a lot of physically orientated teams.

[​IMG]

Amoonguss (F) @ Leftovers / Shed Shell
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 224 SDef / 32 Spd
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Spore
    - Giga Drain
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Stun Spore / Clear Smog

Amoonguss would also be a fantastic addition to this team, being Rain and all. Amoongus can sponge the hits of Raikou, Thundurus, Keldeo and more. In an invaluable addition when facing opposing Rain teams. With 5th Generation's sleep mechanics changing, Sleep is much more effective. With the only other common user of Spore in Dream World being Breloom, Amoonguss serves a very helpful role in this team. Two or three turns of sleep allow Meloetta and Terrakion free switches whether it be to setup, or tear holes in enemy teams.
  10. Mafeking

Mafeking channels his inner Wolverine
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Ran some calcs using this set and it doesn't seem like it actually counters CS Chandy very well? Fire Blast is a 2HKO even under Drizzle conditions (thanks to little SpD investment and Brave > Sassy), while even 252+ Earthquake fails to OHKO Chandelure without Stealth Rock (which we don't currently have anyone to set up at the moment). This Bronzong could get up Trick Room and do some major damage to Chandelure, but would ultimately be defeated by it and only pave the way for another Pokemon to finish it off.

I'm also confused as to why Trick Room would be run when we're using Double Dance Terrakion and Choice Scarf Politoed? This set seems entirely self-serving to me and, given that Earthquake wouldn't KO anyway, you'd be better off just striking with Earthquake on the first turn since it's likely that you wouldn't even want Trick Room up.

It is a pretty reliable Garchomp counter though, but I would postpone adding Bronzong to the team until we've got something that can get hazards up on the field, and I would also still question the use of Trick Room on the set. Supporting the Ferrothorn nom.

EDIT: On second thought, using Ferrothorn practically removes all want for Bronzong and doesn't give us a perfect Garchomp counter even with Leech Seed / Protect. In that vein, I want to nominate Forretress:

[​IMG]
    Forretress @ Shed Shell
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Sp
    IVs: 2 Spe
    -Stealth Rock
    -Hidden Power Ice
    -Rapid Spin
    -Gyro Ball

Just something interesting to consider. Hidden Power Ice lets Forretress actually do something to Garchomp and other assorted Dragons, Gyro Ball deals with some sand sweepers, while the Physically Bulky set was picked because the Specially Bulky set can't deal with Chandelure anyway (not that Ferrothorn can either) hence the use of Shed Shell. This also lets us get up Stealth Rock (which we were doing with Ferro) and gives us Spin support, though that may not be super necessary.

The main advantage of using Forretress over Ferrothorn would be Spin support, however, and Protect+Leech Seed will still deal with Garchomp, so Ferrothorn is still a valid teammate in its own right.

EDIT2: Using Forretress also removes all want for Bronzong. I don't see the merit of using a Trick Room standalone sweeper on a team that seems too impeded (as of what we have now) by Trick Room to be useful, especially when it doesn't beat the one thing you wanted it to beat. :\
  11. Harsha

Harsha Rest In Beats
    RMT Co-Leader

Alright! We're now through with nominations, and it's time to vote! We'll be choosing from:

Forretress
    Amoonguss
    Skarmory
    Ferrothorn
    Sharpedo
    Manaphy
    Keldeo
    Unnerve Tyranitar
    OTR Bronzong

Get your votes (3 Pokemon!) in over the course of the week, people!
  12. Danilo

Danilo im a danilo!!!
    is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a World Cup of Pokemon defending champion

Forretress: EQ>Gyro Ball though
  13. The QWAZ

The QWAZ

Keldeo
    sharpedo
    amoonguss
  14. Jimbon

Jimbon FAKE TRAIN
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

Amoonguss
    Skarmory
    Manaphy
  15. Birkal

Birkal We have the technology.
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnus
    CAP Head Mod

Ferrothorn
    Forretress
    Skarmory
  16. BTzz

BTzz spams overhand rights
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Forretress
    Ferrothorn
    Sharpedo
  17. typon77

typon77

Sharpedo
    Manaphy
    Keldeo
  18. The Reptile

The Reptile make it rain
    is a Pre-Contributor

Keldeo
    Ferrothorn
    Amoongus
  19. bluemon

bluemon

Sharpedo
    Manaphy
    Keldeo
  20. gonodactylus

gonodactylus

Sharpedo
    Manaphy
    Keldeo
  21. NatGeo

NatGeo kauai
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Before I put in my votes I would like to say that Bronzong is an incredibly underrated Pokemon in the Dream World environment. It is at once both bulky and fairly powerful, taking out many different Pokemon in two hits with Gyro Ball, especially stuff like Gengar, Landorus, Latios, etc. Earthquake lets you beat Chandelure 1v1 if you have Trick Room, since a) nobody runs Air Balloon in my experience and b) rain lets us absorb a Scarf Overheat. also Cherub Agent, to address your point: It is indeed meant to be a standalone Pokemon, in the same vein as TR Reuniclus in standard play; we may or may not have teammates who appreciate Trick Room along with Bronzong, but it's not that necessary at all.

Anyways,

Bronzong
    Amoonguss
    Keldeo
  22. LUST

LUST
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

Manaphy
    Amoonguss
    Keldeo
  23. shrang

shrang Go to your room
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderatoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Mmm, these options are getting really Electric weak, just saying

Ferrothorn
    Manaphy
    Keldeo
  24. Omicron

Omicron
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Also really Breloom-weak, just saying.

Amoongus
    Keldeo
    Skarmory
  25. toshimelonhead

toshimelonhead Raising Whitney's Miltank

Amoonguss
    Manaphy
    Keldeo

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)