ORAS UU Dreams Worth Dying For

Hey everyone, I've been playing UU for about a year now. While I consider OU my main tier, UU has been very enjoyable for me and the community is very friendly and welcoming. I wanted to share this team since it's been pretty successful and I feel it represents balance pretty well in the tier right now. As far as any co-creators, I have to give credit to Stallion since he offered the most input regarding sets, EVs, and even simple moveset tweaks to really flesh this team out. The team has been successful holding a 5-1 record in the UU Open with its only loss to a waterfall flinch. I used it to get a couple wins in Round 1 of UU Majors which led to my qualification for the elimination bracket and the team also peaked top 5 on the ladder.

Team Building Process

I started building this team when Salamence was still in the tier so it came a long way from that. The idea was just Life Orb 3 Attacks Salamence paired with something that appreciates its breaking power and supported by a defensive backbone. The first draft of the team was pretty awkward and a bit too passive for my taste so I left it alone only to revisit during round 2 of the UU Open. When brainstorming ideas on what to bring against my opponent, I knew I wanted to abuse Mence while it was still in the tier and revisited the team. I changed some slots up and was satisfied with the results in testing. After the Mence ban I revisited the team once more and adjusted it for the current meta.

This is what the first draft looked like:

The idea was basically to use Mence to lure physical walls like opposing Pert, Cress, Milotic, and so on and Rain Dance Pert could have a field day. Celebi recently dropped so I wanted to use that and it had a lot of promise since natural cure means it isn't bothered by scald burns. Sylveon is a catch all blanket check for fighting types and dragon types as well as being bulky enough to take on certain special attackers. Doublade was another abuser of Mence and Pert pressuring things and provided a Cress and Sylv check. Krook is there to set rocks and click knock off and pursuit things.

I liked these 4 a lot since they pulled their weight in matches while krookodile seemed a bit repetitive with swampert since it wasn't a banded set. Banded krook would've been nice to pressure bulky waters for RD pert but that meant using a different steel type to set rocks or putting rocks on celebi, neither of which I wanted to do. Eventually I just decided to drop Krook and Doublade in favor of mons that can pressure defensive teams a lot better while still providing similar defensive utility.

This is what the team looked like now:

I added Gross and Conk since they both had decent utility as well as tons of power and priority which made them a nightmare for defensive and offensive teams.

With the Mence ban, I didn't put much thought into just slapping Hydreigon on the team. Hydreigon is the best mon in the tier and Mence was being used as a scarfer so I figured scarf Hydreigon might work better since it has spammable stabs and access to U-turn.

This is what the team looks like now:

If Hydreigon was banned, I'd probably use Mienshao over it.

An In-Depth Look

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 24 Atk / 236 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch

When I first built the team the Conk set was banded with Hammer Arm, Knock Off, Mach Punch, and Poison Jab. It worked pretty nicely since Jab lured Sylveon for Hydreigon to more freely click dark pulse and hammer arm was just a nuke that 2hko'd some mons that resisted it. Banded Mach Punch actually hits harder than Entei's Extreme Speed. After the Mence ban, the team didn't really have a win-con and I've been wanting to try the Bulk Up set that's been gaining a lot of hype. I stole the EVs from one of Hogg's posts but in essence, the attack investment and adamant nature ensures you still maintain offensive presence without being at +1 while the HP and Spdef investment maximize bulk.

Bulk Up Conk is truly one of the most terrifying breakers in the tier due to its ability to 1v1 most of its "checks" after set up. The best way to handle it is either have a Sylveon on a team or just have tons of offensive pressure with mons that can hit it hard such as Attack invested Crobat. Regardless, Conk serves an important role being the team's primary balance and stall breaker while still putting in a fair amount of work vs offense by knocking off things and maybe forcing a couple sacs if the player is able to get a Bulk Up off.

Metagross @ Choice Band / Expert Belt
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe or 184 Atk / 144 SpA / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake / Hidden Power Fire
- Bullet Punch / Grass Knot
- Explosion / Thunder Punch

Metagross is one of my favorite and probably the most used pokemon in UU because of its ridiculous role compression and how good it is at performing its roles unlike say, Forretress. With Metagross on the team, I gain a Sylveon switch in, an Aerodactyl check, a Psychic switch in (think Cresselia and Celebi), and a huge movepool to choose from. The Speed EVs are just enough to outspeed Max Speed Modest Sylveon.

The moveset is pretty self explanatory. Meteor Mash is a powerful STAB move that hits everything that doesn't resist it for a decent amount of damage while Earthquake hits usual Steel resists decently hard. Bullet Punch is great priority that's pretty strong when backed by a Choice Band and Explosion lures bulky waters like suicune and even weakens bulky psychics like Cresselia. The mixed set is something I thought to use when thinking of ways to offset the team's susceptibility to spikes. Forretress is the most common spiker in the tier and Gross is one of the mons it sets spikes on so HP Fire denies that. I've also been using Thunder Punch over Explosion to pressure Gyarados way more since it can threaten the team if Swampert is weakened or if it's not in range of Hydreigon's STAB moves.

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Electric] / Rest

Mega Swampert is another one of my favorite mons to use in UU because of how much role compression it has. Just it one slot it covers things like Entei, Aerodactyl, and most physical attackers while setting rocks and fishing for burns with the third best move in the game, Scald. The set used to be Rain Dance Pert and then was changed to an offensive SR Pert but DeeJ pointed out a huge weakness to Bee so I figured a defensive Pert could circumvent that. It definitely has more staying ability.

The moveset is pretty straightforward since Pert is the bulky rock-setter. Scald fishes for burns and is just nice to have vs things like Aerodactyl and Gligar while EQ is the mandatory STAB that helps check things like Doublade, Cobalion, and Entei. The last slot is something I've never really settled on but HP Electric helps a ton in the Gyarados match up while Rest makes Pert less reliant on Sylveon for healing itself. Roar is the least useful option I've found since the mons Pert typically phases aren't really annoyances besides Gyara and I'd rather have HP Electric as an immediate solution. Other options I've experimented with Mirror Coat which was actually a lot of fun to use since it Ohko's +2 Suicune and Yawn which gave Conk more set-up opportunities but overall I found HP Electric and Rest the best choices.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball / Dazzling Gleam

The most broken mon in the tier right now. Celebi is really important for this team because of its ability to 1v1 every bulky water in the tier with the combination of Nasty Plot and Natural Cure so Scald burns don't really deter it. Beyond checking bulky waters, this thing is decently fast and ridiculously bulky without any investment. Celebi can actually live Scarf Hydreigon's Dark Pulse from full and Ohko back with Dazzling Gleam. It can even live an Aerial Ace from Aerodactyl and kill it back with +2 psychic.

The last slot goes to either Shadow Ball or Dazzling Gleam. I personally prefer Shadow Ball since the team can handle Hydreigon ok among Conk, Sylveon, and our own Scarf Hydreigon but the extra insurance is always nice. Shadow Ball hits two very important targets, Bronzong and Cresselia. Bronzong in particularly is annoying because even though Conk and Hydreigon force it out, it's still clicking Toxic and easily checks my steel type with Earthquake while taking little damage in return. Conk can try to set up on it but Bronzong is often paired with a fairy type so it's better to knock off the fairy's leftovers and make Celebi's sweep easier. Cresselia is always annoying and inherently hard to prep for in the teambuilder because of its natural bulk and access to Calm Mind. However, Shadow Ball makes the match up easier since you can force it to run out of Moonlight PP or fish for crits.

Sylveon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 240 HP / 228 Def / 16 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

I usually hate mons like Sylveon especially on teams like this because I feel they're usually way too passive and just sit there but Sylveon is necessary for this team since it checks Hydreigon, Conkeldurr, and passes wishes around. Pixilate Hyper Voice also hits pretty hard for a defensive mon without investment being able to 3hko something like Celebi. I got the EVs from Stallion and just changed the 20 Speed to 24 to speed creep the speed creeping Sylveon. But jokes aside, the spread gives a good mix of bulk to take both, physical and special hits thus easing the match up vs potential threats like NP Infernape and also being able to check Conkeldurr.

The only change I'd consider is running a fully defensive set with a Bold nature because there were some games where I wished I was able to take X physical hit comfortably but in those games, I could've played a bit better so yeah.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon / Flamethrower
- U-turn

Hydreigon acts as an offensive "glue" for the team bringing speed control and the ability to revenge kill almost every boosting sweeper in UU. Even though Salamence used to be in this slot, I feel Hydreigon does the job better because of its ability to immediately threaten celebi and access to U-turn to maintain momentum.

Dark Pulse and Draco Meteor are, of course, the mandatory STAB moves. The choice between Flash Cannon and Flamethrower comes down to whether you want to hit steel types harder to potentially weaken Sylveon's for Conkeldurr. I personally prefer Flash Cannon even though it's a terrible move to be locked into. U-turn is part of what makes Hydreigon such a great scarfer since it gives the player switch initiative and eases prediction. The main thing to keep in mind is that Scarf Hydreigon is actually pretty weak so it won't be Ohkoing things like the LO set. Chip damage is necessary before you start dropping Draco Meteors.

Threat List

- Slurpuff is pretty dangerous since I don't have a good check to it if Metagross dies and it can set up on locked Hydreigon. The key is just to prevent Slurpuff from setting up and keeping Metagross around to click Bullet Punch.

- NP Celebi is still a threat to the team since Colbur can very easily lure Hydreigon and Shadow Ball just blows metagross away. It doesn't 6-0 but it can do enough damage for a teammate to break through.

- Beedrill is probably annoying to every team but it's particularly annoying to this one since I don't have a good way to punish U-turn. The plan is to get rocks up and keep them up by pressuring their remover. At worst, you can trade Conk or Gross with it.

- Defensive Fire types are really annoying for the team since they can check the breakers and threaten them while not really caring about the other mons. Conk might be able to set up on Arcanine or at the very least, knock it off and Pert can Scald it to waste Morning Sun PP. Moltres is even more annoying since it directly threatens Conk but stalliing it out with Sylveon is a legit option but offensively it's easier to kill since it's in range of Hydreigon after rocks.

Hazards are also annoying for the team since I don't have a way to remove them and Sylveon is more pressured to heal its teammates but the team isn't passive to the point where it just crumbles after a couple of layers.

Replays

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uu-193692 - UU Open Finals
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uu-192024 - UU Open Semi-finals
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uu-188248 - UU Open Quarter-finals
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uu-181548 - UU Open Round 2
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uu-180888 - UU Open Round 2

Alternate Versions

I built some alternative versions with the same structure in mind but functions very differently. Here they are:

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

Celebi @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Baton Pass

Conkeldurr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Poison Jab
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Agility

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Volt Switch
- Rapid Spin

or

Metagross @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch

The Swampert is changed to Ampharos which can still deal with Entei and Gyarados but functions more offensively. It receives a +2 from Celebi and can set up agility to sweep teams. It has an incredibly easy time breaking through defensive teams at +2. LO Sheer Force Conk is used to lure Sylveon for Scarf Hydreigon.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Iron Tail
- Superpower

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Heavy Slam
- Volt Switch
- Rapid Spin

Sylveon (F) @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Celebi @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Heal Block

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Thunder Punch

AoA Hydrei is used here to break while Scarf Ape replaces Conk as the fighting type and serves as speed control. Forretress brings spikes and spin for Ape, Hydrei, and Celebi to have an easier time.

Conclusion

This has been one of my favorite teams to use because of how reliable it is. There isn't anything that just wins from team preview and despite certain threats, it's definitely possible to outplay every match up. It's nothing crazy innovative either, just a nice Sylveon + Celebi core backed by a bulky Ground Type and some powerful breakers. It's an extremely reliable team and represents the current state of UU well. Anyway, thanks for reading. Thanks so much daddy's kisses for the awesome banner on such short notice. The title comes from a song I've been listening to recently and can be found here

DeeJ wanted me to add this somewhere so here it is:

Shoutouts

I wanted to make this long but I'm tired so yeah

DeeJ - Dude you're one of my closest friends and one of the best players I know. If you cared to get into the tour scene, you'd definitely have a trophy by now. Expecting great things from you soon
Stallion - Damn I remember the first couple rounds of the UU Open we'd just talk about ideas and discuss teams. Then after you beat snowy, winning the whole thing looked realistic and you were still in the ubers open! It's a shame to see your slam run end the way it did but you definitely left your mark on this site in the old days. Hope you stick around as a spectator
Stathakis - Can't express my gratitude for how much you've done for me both mons related and non related. Your magical advice of "don't be a bitch" is something I keep in mind every single day lmao and helped me thru some tough times. You're a fantastic person and funny as hell and I really really really wish I met you earlier when you still played. Regardless, I hope check back every once in a while.
Whisudi - Dude you help me build, test, and always give me feedback. Can't express how grateful I am to have a friend like you <3

Snowy. - You were a fantastic mentor and I cemented my skills as a player during our time together. Much love for you man, you're an awesome person too.
Pearl - Really glad I asked you to teach me UU since you had a unique outlook on teambuilding which I feel diversified my building. You're an awesome person as well, looking forward to see you play UU in spl :)
Checkmater - I know I'm not that involved in the dubs community and kinda fell out of dubs after the round but you were great. I enjoyed building the most and feel I can build creative, effective teams on my own now. I'll definitely win a seasonal some day
JohnYiu - Was a long time ago but you helped me so much during the pts tour thing. CTing opponents and that team where the zardy check was pre-mega venusaur LOL. You're a fantastic player and great person, and did a great job leading team asia. Win this OLT bro

Shoutouts to my wcop team as well, a great group of people who were unlucky :(. We'll get em next year guys.

Big shoutouts to the UU community as well. Guys like hogg and dodmen do a brilliant job in making the community very welcoming. I don't think I've met a single person I don't like from there.

And ofc shoutouts to all the central peeps, you know who you are.

Importable

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 24 Atk / 236 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch

Metagross @ Choice Band
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch
- Explosion

Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Celebi @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball

Sylveon @ Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 240 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- U-turn

Last edited:

Killintime

Time not so well spent
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hows it going bro, Your team looks really solid so I didnt see much I could do to fix the match ups you mentioned but I tried anyways:

-From what I see entei+any partner is a huge pain in the ass since it becomes a game of constantly trying to wish pass to mega pert since not only does it lack lefties due to being mega, it has to constantly struggle with keeping itself unstatused to prevent coba from doing serious damage to your team at +1. So what I tried to do was:
-------->

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Toxic
- Haze

• This way you can focus less on keeping your entei answer healthy since it carries its own form of healing while at the same time still checking gyarados with haze. You can toxic to wear down opposing walls if scald decides to be balanced during your game.
-With that you lost a mega and rocks so I said why not give you a dedicated switch in to aero while I am at it by:
------------>

Steelix @ Steelixite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

• Mega lix offers you volt switch immunity, a dedicated sylveon/aero switch in, and its a nice overall physical wall that adds the stealth rocks I toke away from your team. Roar lets you phase if you seriously need it and hey! slurpuff also gets an answer since it cant ohko you with drain punch.
I think thats all I could really think of besides maybe you switching flash cannon-->fire blast to help you in your coba match up since we basically have sylveon and slurpuff taken care of this way. I dont know if these changes could help but you may as well give them a go eh? Nice team overall ill have to try it some time good luck and have fun n_n.

Last edited:
Hows it going bro, Your team looks really solid so I didnt see much I could do to fix the match ups you mentioned but I tried anyways:

-From what I see entei+any partner is a huge pain in the ass since it becomes a game of constantly trying to wish pass to mega pert since not only does it lack lefties due to being mega, it has to constantly struggle with keeping itself unstatused to prevent coba from doing serious damage to your team at +1. So what I tried to do was:
-------->

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Toxic
- Haze

• This way you can focus less on keeping your entei answer healthy since it carries its own form of healing while at the same time still checking gyarados with haze. You can toxic to wear down opposing walls this walls this way as well if scald decides to be balanced during your game.
-With that you lost a mega and rocks so I said why not give you a dedicated switch in to aero while I am at it by:
------------>

Steelix @ Steelixite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

• Mega lix offers you volt switch immunity, a dedicated sylveon/aero switch in, and its a nice overall physical wall that adds the stealth rocks I toke away from your team. Roar lets you phase if you seriously need it and hey! slurpuff also gets an answer since it cant ohko you with drain punch.
I think thats all I could really think of besides maybe you switching flash cannon-->fire blast to help you in your coba match up since we basically have sylveon and slurpuff taken care of this way. I dont know if these changes could help but you may as well give them a go eh? Nice team overall ill have to try it some time good luck and have fun n_n.
Hey man, thanks for taking the time to read my rmt and rate the team! I like that you offer changes that maintain the structure of the team and fortifies the backbone even further. However, while these changes may seem nice on paper, they make the team more passive which is something I think should be avoided for these kinds of teams.

Even though I call this team balance, it functions more offensively than most balance teams so I'm more inclined to call it offensive balance. In essence, while the team is reliant on Sylveon to remain healthy, it also functions offensively enough to where you can make trades. For example, if I'm facing an Entei+Coba pair then on paper the match up looks pretty scary since Entei can very easily burn Pert and then SD Coba has a lot of fun cleaning up. But consider this, Conk isn't going to do much in these offense match ups (since entei / coba are more likely to be on offensive teams) so you can definitely threaten the team with a Bulk Up and then trade Conk for Entei and thus relieving the pressure on Pert. While Milotic would give me a much sturdier switch in for Entei and also handle Gyarados, the lack of offensive presence it has is actually counter productive for my team. Consider a Cobalion gets an SD up on my locked Hydreigon. I have 2 choices: sack something and revenge it with Conk if its in range, or go to Pert and EQ if I know it's not Shuca (or if its been used up). It depends entirely on the game. But if I have milotic, my only option is to go into it, click haze as it CCs which puts me in range for another CC, or scald hoping for a burn which isn't reliable at all.

I appreciate the rate but I urge you to keep in mind that building is only half the battle, and on paper weaknesses are just that, on paper. The player using the team has the duty to play intelligently and ration their checks to opposing threats properly. That being said, I'll definitely try these changes and perhaps make a more semi-stallish version of the team. If it does well, I'll edit it into the post. Thanks for the rate and I hope you enjoy using the team if you do! Have a great day man.

Killintime

Time not so well spent
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, thanks for taking the time to read my rmt and rate the team! I like that you offer changes that maintain the structure of the team and fortifies the backbone even further. However, while these changes may seem nice on paper, they make the team more passive which is something I think should be avoided for these kinds of teams.

Even though I call this team balance, it functions more offensively than most balance teams so I'm more inclined to call it offensive balance. In essence, while the team is reliant on Sylveon to remain healthy, it also functions offensively enough to where you can make trades. For example, if I'm facing an Entei+Coba pair then on paper the match up looks pretty scary since Entei can very easily burn Pert and then SD Coba has a lot of fun cleaning up. But consider this, Conk isn't going to do much in these offense match ups (since entei / coba are more likely to be on offensive teams) so you can definitely threaten the team with a Bulk Up and then trade Conk for Entei and thus relieving the pressure on Pert. While Milotic would give me a much sturdier switch in for Entei and also handle Gyarados, the lack of offensive presence it has is actually counter productive for my team. Consider a Cobalion gets an SD up on my locked Hydreigon. I have 2 choices: sack something and revenge it with Conk if its in range, or go to Pert and EQ if I know it's not Shuca (or if its been used up). It depends entirely on the game. But if I have milotic, my only option is to go into it, click haze as it CCs which puts me in range for another CC, or scald hoping for a burn which isn't reliable at all.

I appreciate the rate but I urge you to keep in mind that building is only half the battle, and on paper weaknesses are just that, on paper. The player using the team has the duty to play intelligently and ration their checks to opposing threats properly. That being said, I'll definitely try these changes and perhaps make a more semi-stallish version of the team. If it does well, I'll edit it into the post. Thanks for the rate and I hope you enjoy using the team if you do! Have a great day man.
Ye like I said bro I honestly couldn't see very much I could do for you to try and patch up the weaknesses you had, but I felt like giving it a shot anyways since the team still looked like it could go in a different direction. I thought of the idea of maybe chande as well but didnt know if it was a good idea per se to put you at risk of pursuit trap with the team.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)