Dreamtime Ridge (OU Weatherless)

Before we get into the team, I'm going to come clean and say that the title has nothing to do with the team. It's just the name of a wine I've been drinking. I hate uncreative/meaningless names so it probably bothers me more than anyone else, but anyway...onto the team.

Team Preview:

Terrakion@Choice Scarf
Justified
Jolly
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

Terrakion is one of the hardest hitting pokemon in OU, and its scarfed speed is just ridiculous. I know it’s advised not to use Earthquake on Terrakion but it’s great for catching Tentacruel unaware and hits incredibly hard. The rest is standard. Terrakion's role is to come in as a revenge killer once the opponent is in a position where repeated Close Combat/Stone Edge hits are going to tear through the remainder of their team; its secondary role is to remind my opponent that I have it in reserve so they make more conservative plays throughout the match.

Thundurus-T@Life Orb
Volt Absorb
Modest
252 SAtk / 188 Spe / 68 HP
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Focus Blast

Thundurus-T is my lategame sweeper/early pressure putter-onner. I either lead with this against the majority of rain teams (scoring KO's against careless Politoeds or Ferrothorns) or keep it in reserve with Terrakion until my opponent is sufficiently weakened. The EVs give maximum attacking power; I've yet to be outsped at a crucial moment (I have Terrakion for ridiculous speed) but the power has definitely come in handy.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Natural Cure
Timid
252 Satk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Thunderbolt

Trialing a new, more offensive Starmie over my previous Max HP Max Speed. Boltbeam provides amazing coverage and Surf is a reliable rain-nuke over the weaker scald and less accurate hydro pump. I kept rapid spin because I needed the utility but found myself never using recover. Starmie works really well with Terrakion and Thudurus, taking mach and bullet punches fairly well even with the sacrificed bulk.

Mamoswine@Life Orb
Thick Fat
Jolly
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Superpower

Mamoswine is my answer to Dragons, pesky Ground/Flying types and opposing Therians. It also hits like a truck, though it does annoy me that ice shard cannot OHKO Breloom. There isn't really a huge amount to say about Mamoswine, everybody knows it's the hardest hitting ice shard in OU and that's that.

Deoxys-D@Mental Herb
Pressure
Timid
252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Def
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

New hazard setter-upper replacing Ferrothorn. Don't have much to say as I haven't used it much yet.
**Apparently the thread will be locked if I don't have long enough descriptions for pokemon I haven't used enough to have a proper opinion on, so this will have to be theorymons on my part: Deoxy's role is to fire off hazards whilst blocking my opponent from setting up. Its speed helps me get the hazards up whilst retaining offensive momentum; I used to have Ferrothorn but I needed more reliable hazards than it could offer. Thunder Wave helps me against fast wallbreakers that think they can put Deoxys in the ground without setting up; they may well accomplish it but they'll be crippled for the rest of the match, leaving them as fodder for pretty much everything else on my team.

Chandelure@leftovers
Flash Fire
Modest
252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spe
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

A force to be reckoned with in UU, Chandelure helps make my team less wrist-slittingly generic. It also answers as a great Heatran alternative as well as a spinblocker. Come in on something that can't do a thing to it, sub up on their switch out and be guaranteed at least one ridiculously hard-hitting special attack. The best thing is, it's immune to Blissey's toxic (after the sub) and seismic toss so it can't be walled in quite the same way and Fire Blast OHKO's after 4 boosts. Breloom can do nothing to this (save for Spore, but without exception they fear speed investment on my part and switch away). I cannot stress how awesome this thing is enough.

So there you have it, another weatherless, hopefully original team for you to rate. Please let me know if there are any glaring weaknesses you can think of, anything that you'd recommend replacing, any advice at all. Thanks!​

Mosquiton

Tette
Hi there! Nice team here!

The first thing I suggest is to Insert Deoxys-D > Ferrothorn.
This is an Hyper Offence team and ferrothorn slow down your team losing momentum.
The hazards for the HO teams are very important because they allow your sweepersu to reach the opponent's KO range so you have to be sure to put on the field the most number of hazards just to facilitate the sweep of your Pokémon.
Ferrothorn can become easily a set-up fodder for opponent while setting the hazards and if the opponent boost himself too much could really hard to stop it running the risk that he make big damages in your team, but with deoxys, his speed and his support moves allows you to set the hazards on the ground at the same time prevent the opponent boost himself.
The set that i always recommend is: Four support moves @RedCard to be able to put on the field the greatest number of hazard than other deoxys also thanks to the combo RedCard-Taunt prevents that the opponent uses Deoxys as a set-up fodder 'cause with taunt blocks that opponent boosting himself and red card force his switch if use an offensive move, last slot is magic coat that prevents fastest taunter prevent you from placing the hazards.

The second thing I notice is that your team haven't a Wallbreaker so the stall team can give you some problems, to solve it I want to recommend a quick change of Thundurus: I want to make him double boost.
Making him double boost you'll get a huge versatility that will adapt well to any team that will find:
if you have to fight against a stall will be sufficient to use nastyplot to create huge holes in the opposing team with excellent coverage Electric-Ice which will hit all Pokémon present in the stall at the same time if you have to fight against an offensive team is enaugh will use agility to make your speed double so that no one can outspeed you and can cleanare the opposing team.
The cherry on the cake is the Yache berry.
With the Yache berry to halve the power of Mamoswine's iceshard taking a half damage in such a way that does not interrupt your sweep.
In essence doubleboost Thundurus is a really versatile monster.

The last thing I want to advise is a little quick change that will prove very useful.
I'm talking about to put Psyshock > Psychic on Starmie.
With Psyshock you can hit from the physical side and will come in handy especially against CalmMind Keldeo, Amoonguss and Terrakion in sand because it would have special defense boosted and would go to take a reduced damage from scald.
Psyshock have another important role: can make more damage on Tentacruel; is important to kill Cruel very quickly 'cause he can spin your hazards!

Sets:
>DeoD over Ferro
>DoubleBoost set @Thund
>Psyshock over Psychic @Starmie

Deoxys-D @ Red Card
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Magic Coat
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Spikes

Thundurus-T (M) @ Yache Berry
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 68 HP / 252 SAtk / 188 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Nasty Plot
- Agility
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Hey!

I think you have done a lot of good work with this team already. You've got some good synergy, as well as some good overall team structure and resistances. I definitely like Terrakion, Thundurus-t, Starmie, and Mamoswine. Ferrothorn seems like it's your dedicated Rain resist and Hazard setter; however, it really strikes me as dead weight. It slows down your offensive pace, and a lot of teams have Pokemon dedicated to punishing Ferrothorn. In addition, Chandelure is definitely out of place. The main reason to use Chandelure would be to Spin Block, but you don't have any Spikes to protect. I think you could get a lot more utility out of that slot. I'll focus on switching Ferrothorn and Chandelure to help improve your team synergy and overall goal.

First, as I mentioned earlier, Ferrothorn doesn't fit on your team. I'm going to recommend that you try Sub DD Gyarados in that slot. Gyarados is a hugely underrated threat, and it would fit perfectly on your team. Mamoswine and Terrakion lure Bullet Punches for you to set-up. Starmie support Gyarados with Rapid Spin support. Those perks aside, the big selling point is Thundurus-t + Gyarados. It's pretty difficult to revenge kill Gyarados without using an Electric move, and that's where Thundurus-t comes in. Get those free Volt Absorbs, and potentially a free Agility / Thunder. One of Thundurus-t's biggest problems, Hippowdon, is also free set up for Gyarados. In addition its great synergy, Gyarados will be a great weapon against opposing Rain Teams. In this metagame, you can never be too prepared for Rain teams. Between Gyarados, Thundurus-t, and Starmie, you'll have Rain teams struggling to keep up.

Next, I'm going to recommend Choice Band Scizor instead of Chandelure. Your team is pretty fast paced and offensive, and I think you could use a little defensive backbone. Scizor is the perfect Pokemon to fill that role. Steel is the premier defensive type, it hits incredibly hard, and it can trap some annoying threats for your team. For example, Lati@s looks close to unmanageable right now, but with Scizor, you can open holes for Thundurus-t to tear through the opposing team. Scizor will help you keep up your offensive momentum, and when the situation demands it, Scizor can revenge many threats. Mamoswine and Terrakion won't be able to do it all, and having more options makes it harder for your opponent to predict correctly.

Besides those two major changes, I have some small ones for you. You might want to try Offensive Life Orb Rapid Spin Starmie. If you rely on Starmie as your main pivot, I'd probably keep it Defensive though. If you stay with Defensive, use Psyshock. It has more general utility in the metagame even though Psychic is stronger.

Put Stealth Rock on Mamoswine. I removed Ferrothorn which was your Stealth Rock user, so you should fit Stealth Rock somewhere on your team. Superpower is pretty useless in my experience, only hitting Ferrothorn and maybe Rotom-w. You should be Revenge Killing with Ice Shard or hitting hard with Earthquake and Icicle Spear most of the time anyway.

Good luck!

The above comments are all very good and I'd pretty much support all of them. I think there are a couple ways you could go with this team in terms of all-out offense or more of a balance.

If you choose to go with offense, I like mosquiton's suggestion of deo-d > ferrothorn. This thing will get hazards up for you early, which helps out your whole team. While mosquiton's set is good, I personally like this set better:
Deoxys-D @ Mental Herb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

This set has the advantage over the other set of always beating other taunt leads through the use of mental herb + taunt, while with the other you have to predict with magic coat and can lose the speed tie vs other deo-d leads. The free moveslot is now given to Twave, which means that you can cripple anything that tries to set up on you, while buying free turns for yourself to stack more hazards! This is a really cool set that should serve your hazard-stacking needs well.

Now that you have hazards, a spinblocker is next. You do have chandelure, but it's both frail and slow, so it won't do a very good job of keeping your hazards on the field. I would suggest using spinblocker Gengar > chandy, as gengar is by far the best offensive spinblocker in OU. A good set would be:
Gengar @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast / HP [fire]

Substitute + dbond is a very cool combination that allows you to take down most spinners that try to KO gar. Take tentacruel for example: you switch in on the rapid spin, then sub. If it switches, all well and good, free sub, while leftovers mean you barely lose any HP in the process. If it stays in and scalds, just sub down until you're at low HP, then dbond. Scad KOs gar and take tenta with it, meaning your opponent now has no way to spin the hazards! Focus blast can be used in the last slot for coverage, while HP fire hits forretress, scizor, and ferrothorn especially hard.

I like your current thundurus set more than double dance since the extra coverage is nice, and setting up both agility and NP often isn't possible, so I'd stick with that imo.

Starmie is tricky--you somewhat need to choose between bulk and power. One set I've been experimenting with is leftovers starmie with max SpA and a moveset of rapid spin / surf / tbolt / ice beam. This is a bit of a compromise between the bulky set and the offensive one, since it has the moveset and EVs to hit hard but has lefties to recover damage while it doesn't take LO damage so it won't be worn down as quickly. This set has much greater utility than defensive mie so you should find it useful more of the time. If you feel you're getting worn down to quickly though, the bulky set is probably better (and in that case psyshock > psyshic for sure).

The rest of the team looks very solid, so no more comments here! Hope my comments helped, and GL with the team!

Thanks for the high level of input guys, it's really appreciated. I'll address your suggestions one at a time:

Mosquiton:

- I hadn't meant to make a hyper offense team, but it does actually look like that's what's happened. To that end I'll be switching Ferrothorn for Deoxys-D as you suggested, though I'll try both yours and Kidogo's sets before deciding on one.
- I rely on focus blast too much to change the set to a double booster and I find that opportunities to set up both boosts are few and far between anyway. I think with the addition of Deoxys-D's hazards the present power will be sufficient.

undisputed:

- First of all, I'm not swapping out Chandelure. It's the only thing keeping me from scrapping the team altogether for being another generic, standard, boring exercise in pointlessness. I really hate the current metagame and this dash of colour keeps me sane.
- As for Ferrothorn, I'm going to try replacing it with Deoxys-D first but if that doesn't work out I'll give Gyarados a try.
- Starmie I do think I'll change to a more offensive set; I do hardly ever find myself using recover. I'll probably try Kidogo's set first though.
- Superpower IS pretty much dead weight, I might switch it out for Rocks which would free up a move for Deoxys-D

Kidogo:

- Doexys-D > Ferrothorn, agreed.
- Again, I'm keeping Chandelure. I will try to address the Tentacruel problem though.
- I'll try your leftovers + 3 special attacks Starmie, it already looks like it'll be more useful than my current one.

Thanks everyone!

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hi

If you don't post adequate descriptions for Starmie and Deoxys-D, I'll be forced to lock this thread. You need to test your changes before updating your thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)