• gets to 18 attack without an SD, gets to an outlandish 36 with one
  • EdgeQuake gets great coverage
  • Shadow Claw hits ghosts like missy and friends
  • Life Orb is to do as much damage as possible
  • Hidden Power Ice is to catch Gligar who is otherwise a major pain
  • Substitute can be very useful to block the ever-present sucker punch
Additional Comments:

• Hippopotas is a must
  • could take a few speed evs off since to invest in bulk, but then you tie with scarf 20 speeders
  • naive is the best nature to use for this set because the damage outputs from 18 and 19 attack are exactly the same
  • a slightly bulkier spread can be used with less speed and more in defenses, but you risk speed tying with scarf digglet, elekid, and voltorb, as well as gligars that have an agility under their belt
[SET]
name: Mole of Choice
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Rock Slide
move 3: Shadow Claw
move 4: X-Scissor
item: Chioce Scarf / Choice Band
ability: Sand Strength / Sand Throw
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 212 Spe

Set Comments:
  • great attack for a scarfer
  • relatively fast too
  • with cs, sand strength is the best option, with cb it's sand throw
  • always jolly with cs, still recommended with cb but not necessary
Additional Comments:
  • scarf doesn't need hippopotas, but it helps
  • band really likes hippopotas, just because without the speed boost, it will be very easy to outspeed and kill
  • Mantyke is a good partner because they can deal with eachother's counters decently
  • same with chinchou
Team Options:

• Hippopotas is hands-down the best partner
  • Gligar and Lileep both make good partners since they both benefit from SandStorm, however, they don't have very good defensive synergy
  • Waters like Mantyke and Staryu have do well with resisting weaknesses with Moguryuu
  • Wynaut and Magnemite make good partners to Moguryuu as they can lure and kill Bronzor
Optional Changes:

• Moguryuu gets Rapid Spin which can be used in the last slot on the first set
  • Gets access to Claw Sharpen but the only move that it commonly uses that has less than 100% accuracy is Rock Slide
  • Brick Break, they don't provide very much coverage
Counters:

• Bronzor can switch in really any move that Moguryuu carries, but will be hit hard by a +2 Shadow Claw/X-scissor
  • Hippopotas see bronzor, but it isn't as good of a counter since it's susceptible to Earthquake
  • Scarf Snover can switch in on an earthquake, or after a kill, and change the weather to outspeed moguryuu
  • Rain Teams will often be switching weather and most of the Pokemon on rain teams have a type advantage over Moguryuu
  • Gligar see bronzor, and Gligar also receives a 20% evasion boost with sand
  • Koffing see bronzor, but it is a bit more effective at taking physical hits and can hit back harder
  • Duskull (kinda) can switch in on earthquake but will be hit very hard by shadow claw
Dream world:
  • Mold breaker will be very useful on the choice set, but will be pointless on the sand storm sweeper

I completely disagree with the EVs for this set. It should have maximum offenses, at least until Tangela and Scyther are banned.

You claim that 32 Outpaces everything including Scarf mons, but Scarf Scyther is 33. You need Jolly, Max Attack, Max Speed.

I'd also include X-Scissor to hit Tangela. Earthquake KOes most of the Ghosts and Rock Slides KOes the ones it doesn't.

yeah, I changed the evs (I keep forgetting about scyther & friends)

I put in X-Scissor just because Tangela is such a massive threat, plus it can change the weather. But Shadow Claw has to stay for Missy and Duskull (who I'm almost certain aren't KO'd by rock slide ?_?)

Also, there should absolutely be a Dream World section. Mold Breaker on a Mono-Ground type....yes please.

[SET]
name: Sand Sweeper
move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Swords Dance
item: Life Orb
ability: Sand Throw
nature: Naughty / Naive
evs: 236 Atk / 36 SpA / 212 Spe

Hidden Power Ice is needed to bypass Gligar who is the biggest threat to this set besides Bronzor.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Subs should be listed as at least an option for the 4th move on the sand sweeper, to block sucker punch from the likes of murkrow, which has the power to ohko.

Additionally, a bulkier set should be the main option, with an impish nature, as surviving a a hit with 1 hp and dying is huge. The difference between 34 and 32 speed is minimal at this point, and will be none once scarf scyther is banned. As mentioned before, max+ attack is useless, so when neither of your offensive stats need the boost, why not boost something that can actualy use it? Alternatively, a spread with 1 short of max attack evs and adamant works, again with more evs to put into bulk. Imo, based on the metagame, you could get away with 30 speed, as the electric types are doing shit to a ground type, and diglett isn't doing much either. Hell, you could dump the leftovers in SpA to buff HP Ice's power, dealing more damage to bulkier gligars. Running max/max on mogu is SUCH a waste of evs, as 30 speed is nearly never different from 34. So I guess my spread I'm suggesting is something like:

36 HP/236 Atk/36 Def/132 Spe @ impish, it uses 440 evs but there's no use for the evs on an all physical set. 36 HP/156 Atk/36 Def/116 SpA/132 Spe @ Lonely or Naughty depending on preference (nature is fairly irrelevant on this one, you could shift the second point in SpA to attack and give a different nature a boost. Again, there's a lot that can be changed, it's just an example) gives the maximum speed you'll probably ever need, a far stronger HP Ice, the max attack you'll ever need, and still gives a lot more bulk because you simply don't need 34 speed.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Carvanha and Buizel need mentions in Counters section. If they are holding LO, after 1 turn ofMoguryuu LO recoil, they grab a guaranteed KO with Aqua Jet as far as I remember(if not, then it definitely is confirmed after a switch into SR)

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Remove the juice so give it Oran.

You should add wynaut or magnemite as a team mate since it can trap and kill Bronzor.

Alright, sorry I've been so inactive as of late, but I finally got around to making changes on this.

[SET]
name: Sand Sweeper
move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Swords Dance
item: Life Orb
ability: Sand Throw
nature: Naughty / Naive
evs: 236 Atk / 36 SpA / 212 Spe

Hidden Power Ice is needed to bypass Gligar who is the biggest threat to this set besides Bronzor.
Put this set in over the old one.

NailsOU said:
Subs should be listed as at least an option for the 4th move on the sand sweeper, to block sucker punch from the likes of murkrow, which has the power to ohko.
I agree, added

NailsOU said:
Additionally, a bulkier set should be the main option, with an impish nature, as surviving a a hit with 1 hp and dying is huge. The difference between 34 and 32 speed is minimal at this point, and will be none once scarf scyther is banned. As mentioned before, max+ attack is useless, so when neither of your offensive stats need the boost, why not boost something that can actualy use it? Alternatively, a spread with 1 short of max attack evs and adamant works, again with more evs to put into bulk. Imo, based on the metagame, you could get away with 30 speed, as the electric types are doing shit to a ground type, and diglett isn't doing much either. Hell, you could dump the leftovers in SpA to buff HP Ice's power, dealing more damage to bulkier gligars. Running max/max on mogu is SUCH a waste of evs, as 30 speed is nearly never different from 34. So I guess my spread I'm suggesting is something like:

36 HP/236 Atk/36 Def/132 Spe @ impish, it uses 440 evs but there's no use for the evs on an all physical set. 36 HP/156 Atk/36 Def/116 SpA/132 Spe @ Lonely or Naughty depending on preference (nature is fairly irrelevant on this one, you could shift the second point in SpA to attack and give a different nature a boost. Again, there's a lot that can be changed, it's just an example) gives the maximum speed you'll probably ever need, a far stronger HP Ice, the max attack you'll ever need, and still gives a lot more bulk because you simply don't need 34 speed.
Unless you can provide specific calculations of Moguryuu getting out of some OHKOs with the spread you gave, I'm just going to stick with the one I have there right now. Just because Electric moves don't do anything to Moguryuu, that doesn't mean Electric types can't. Moguryuu will not enjoy taking a HP ice from elekid or Voltorb at all. And digglet will be hitting Moguryuu very hard with earthquake as well. And while 30 speed scarfers aren't very common (and they should be getting more common with the addition of volt change), why take take the risk? Now if there are very real and specific examples of kos being averted with your spread, that's a different story, but until I see those, the spread stays as it is.

macle said:
You should add wynaut or magnemite as a team mate since it can trap and kill Bronzor.
Done

Tag said:
Gligar also screws you over so luring it out with Zuruggu is useful.
I don't think zuruggu does a very good job of bringing out gligar, because an informed player knows that almost all zuruggu carry ice punch.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
scarfed ice punches are really weak and easy to set up on. but even then, why run 34 over 32? it's STILL faster than everything, and more bulk is always a good thing.

that's basically the reasoning i used for the bulkier spreads, 30 speed still ties with anything unboosted and more bulk is never a bad thing, and you aren't losing any power. I think it should at least be listed as an alternative.

scarfed ice punches are really weak and easy to set up on. but even then, why run 34 over 32? it's STILL faster than everything, and more bulk is always a good thing.
Yeah, there's no point in having it be at 34 anymore so I had already changed it to 32.

that's basically the reasoning i used for the bulkier spreads, 30 speed still ties with anything unboosted and more bulk is never a bad thing, and you aren't losing any power. I think it should at least be listed as an alternative.
Added to AC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)