Drought Team Help - preppin' for Worlds!

I just found out that I'm going to have an opportunity to go to Worlds next month! So my drought team, which went 4/4 at the California regionals back in April, is going to get another shot at the crown! I like to think that I could've gone 6/2 at regionals had I not had got greedy for the KO on Match 1, and had not gotten haxed on Match 3... So, in general, I think that my team is okay, but could definitely use some help.

The Team:

Ninetales (M) @ Fire Gem Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Energy Ball
- Protect
- Heat Wave
- Extrasensory

As with any drought team, we lead with Ninetales. I try not to get attached to how pokemon look, but this guy is super cool looking and I'd like to keep him/my drought strategy intact. I think that a sun team is viable - mine just needs to be tweaked. The sun + gem + STAB heat wave does amazing damage when I can get it off. Energy ball is there to take care of weakened waters or switch-in waters. Extrasensory is there to take care of strong leads like hitmontop/gurdurr that tend to show up because they have fake out. It can usually take a fake out and then come back with an extrasensory for some damage.

Shiftry (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Protect
- Dark Pulse
- Fake Out
- Leaf Storm

To support Ninetales, I went with shiftry. Since the dark pulse shiftry requires a transfer from HG/SS, he's a bit rare competitively. I even had someone at regionals not know who he was/what type and attacked with a psychic attack! Of course, as a lead, the fake out is great. With chlorophyll, he can usually get the FO out before anyone else in the sun. Dark pulse for STAB - mostly against Lati@s/Cresselia/Chandelure/Jellicent. All of which can mess me up. I like leaf storm because it hits so darn hard. And, as fragile as shiftry is, he doesn't last long enough for the power decrease to really affect battles. NOTE: I am completely wedded to the focus sash on this guy - that has saved me countless times; I know I'm right with this item choice.

Zapdos @ Electric Gem
Trait: Pressure
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I've been hanging with Zapdos since 2010! He's my one RNG'd guy (I know, they should ALL be RNG'd. They're not.) and is pretty quick. Has a good HP, too. With protect on my other pokes, the discharge comes in handy. Add the electric gem, and its a complete surprise! The heat wave, with the sun up, is a great sweeper move after one of my leads goes down. I have thunderbolt to deal with rain team users... Should I switch to thunder? Typically, when my shiftry goes down, and my sun is still up, I bring in Zapdos to finish off with some extra heat waves. If the sun is down, I usually bring in...

Hitmontop (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Fake Out
- Protect
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Punch

A classic priority sweeper. Particularly for weakened pokemons, since I can FO (which comes as a bit of surprise late in a battle), or mach punch, or bullet punch and get someone off the board quickly. Why mach punch and bullet punch? Because I kept getting beaten by ghost types that would switch in late. Should I add sucker punch instead? I hate the idea of having to bet on an attack - but if people have a strong opinion, I'd like to hear it.

Amoonguss (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Protect
- Stun Spore

After getting completely killed at the 2011 LCQ, and seeing all the 2011 VGC teams, I realized that I NEEDED an Amoongus on my team. This is the standard smogon vgc moveset, I believe. I find that I don't use stun spore very much. Does anyone have a good suggestion in its place? Or suggestions on how/why to use it more? I'll usually lead with this guy if I see a rain team. I was able to stall out a competitor for the full 15 minutes at the 2012 regionals with spamming spore. A nascent strategy? Perhaps...

Darmanitan (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Rock Slide
- Fire Punch
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower

The pain-bringer. Sun+STAB+Sheer Force+Flare Blitz = lots of KOs. If I have my sun team going, and I don't see other weather in the team preview, this is my 4th guy with zapdos or hitmontop. The choice scarf makes him speedy, and the rock slides and/or flare blitzes make short work of weakened pokemon. I tend not to use fire punch as much as flare blitz, only because he usually comes in at the end and I rather go for the KO than worry about the defense drop.

Main things of note/points of criticism I'd like to get some input on:

1) Like all drought teams, I am weak to the ever-present rain dance team. Is there are starter combination that I should go with? Shiftry/Amoongus? Shiftry/Zapdos? Iron ball up my Ninetales and pray for the best?

2) I got owned by a sand team at regionals because I started with Ninetales and they brought in their Tyranitar after the second round. Should I not lead off with weather? If so, what should I lead with?

3) I'm seeing that Zapdos is a bit passe, with Thundurus getting more popular. Should I switch out my 'Dos?

4) Are my problems item-related? Too reliant on gems? Should I go with iron ball on my Ninetales?

5) I find that I totally stall whenever I hit a Jellicent or Cresselia. By the time these two switch in, my Shiftry and his Dark Pulse is gone.

6) I had some success spamming Spore with my Amoongus, which (I admit) was really annoying for my opponent, but it was successful. Is there any benefit to making this a primary strategy?

7) Is there a good replacement move for my amoongus' stun spore? Or my darmanitan's fire punch? Or should I just utilize them more in certain situations?

Thanks for all the help!

Nice Team! You rarely see sun teams these days. Well, Ill try my best to help you!

You should put rage powder on your Amoonguss rather then spore. This can give you partner pokemon a clear shot of attacking. Stun spore has horrible accuracy and if you paraylze a pokemon, you cant put it too sleep. Also, you should give it black sludge instead of leftovers just incase someone uses trick on amoonguss.

Darmanitan can be Adamant since it already has scarf unless you want to outspeed other scarf pokemon. I would replace either fire punch or flare blitz with U Turn just so if you come with a bad lead, you can always switch out while doing some damage. I dont know how much Fire Punch does but I know that Flare blitz does a lot without sun so that thing is gonna be doing a crap load of damage. The only problem is that the recoil can be huge at the same time. I guess it is just your personal opinion whether you want more power with recoil or less power.

I wouldn't put Bullet Punch on Hitmontop. You already have Mach Punch. Since this your getting ready for worlds, you need to put something that can spice up your team. You can always replace BP with Rockslide or Stone Edge to surprisingly kill their volcarona or do a decent chunk to their Zapdos.

To tell you the truth, I suck at team choosing so I cant give you any advice on that. But one lead that can be strong is your Shiftry and Amoonguss lead. Your opponent will expect you to fake out and spore so inresponse, they will double protect. However, you can change it up by adding Nasty Plot to you shiftry so after you Nasty Plot, you can sweep. That was just an idea that popped in my mind but its up to you to choose. Good Luck!

Thanks for the help!
Rage powder on my Amoonguss! Good idea! I've seen that used by others and I've always thought it strange to ask for an attack - but I realize that I need to get over that phobia. Perhaps this is a question better stated in AASQ, but how to spore and rage powder relate to one another? As in, I spore, they sleep, and next round I rage powder? So when they wake up, all they can do is attack? Or does it have no effect once they're asleep?
Black sludge! Another good idea!

Darmanitan: I think I have him set to outspeed other scarf users, but I'll check the math to see how adamant may help. U-turn - of course! Good idea! Yeah, like I said up top, I never use fire punch and I need something else. The recoil is definitely worth it for the highly probably OHKO. With u-turn, I can even lead with him if I see some psychic leads in the team preview...

I'll think about spicing up my hitmontop for worlds with a stone edge. O! but the accuracy! What is your opinion on sucker punch? I've had other people suggest that since I'm scared of ghosts.

I like the nasty plot idea in concept. The double protect 1st move is common at the high VGC level... Would you suggest I take off fake out from my shiftry?

Thanks again!!

Use Rock Slide over Bullet Punch on Hitmontop. It has better accuracy than Stone Edge, and hits both opponents in Double Battles. Anyway, great team!
Also, DO NOT replace Zapdos with Thundurus- Zapdos having Heat Wave makes it superior on a Sun team. Thundurus only really works on Rain teams.

P.S. could you add an importable version? I'd like to try this team out for myself

Thanks for the suggestion on rock slide! I was also thinking that something gimmickly like swagger might be useful...

After making some changes (suggested above), I can tell you that the U-turn is working great! Lati@s are running scared!

Also, I took of discharge from my Zapdos. It was a hard decision to make, but I found that I wasn't using it much because I needed a full KO with thunderbolt as opposed to 2 opponent pokemon just being merely damaged. And the para-hax just wasn't happening. I figured, since I send him out to lead when I see a rain team, why don't I give him thunder? Then it's 100%. And totally unexpected from a (fundamentally) sun team. OMG! I've had numerous rain team disconnects playing online after a first move thunder OHKOs their politoed/kingdra. Together with a fake out from my shiftry, it's a good combo. Those two leads are still weak to ice (common with rain team leads...) but adding thunder at least evens the odds a bit. And my zapdos is speedy/bulky enough to get it off at least once.

HTML:
Ninetales (M) @ Fire Gem Trait: Drought
 EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
 Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
 - Energy Ball
 - Protect
 - Heat Wave
 - Extrasensory
  Shiftry (M) @ Focus Sash
 Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
 - Protect
 - Dark Pulse
 - Fake Out
 - Leaf Storm
  Zapdos @ Electric Gem
 Trait: Pressure
 Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
 - Thunderbolt
 - Discharge
 - Heat Wave
 - Hidden Power [Ice]
  Hitmontop (M) @ Life Orb
 Trait: Technician
 EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
 Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
 - Fake Out
 - Protect
 - Mach Punch
 - Close Combat
  Amoonguss (M) @ Leftovers
 Trait: Effect Spore
 EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
 Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
 - Giga Drain
 - Spore
 - Protect
 - Stun Spore
  Darmanitan (M) @ Choice Scarf
 Trait: Sheer Force
 EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
 Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
 - Rock Slide
 - Fire Punch
 - Flare Blitz
 - Superpower

Hey there! This is a very nice team and I'm glad someone is using sun! You don't see them too often. Anyway, just a few things:

I like how you are being original by using Shiftry. However, he is generally outclassed by other Chlorophyll sweepers. I would suggest replacing him with Venusaur. Like Shiftry, Venusaur can abuse the sunlight and also provides you with another Water resist. Here's the set I would recommend:

Venusaur @Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
-Sunny Day
-Energy Ball
-Hidden Power (Fire)
-Sludge Bomb

Sunny Day is the crux of this set, allowing you to, once again, have your weather up if you find yourself facing another weather team. Hidden Power Fire is great for catching Steels, as they wall Venusaur without it. It is further boosted by the sun, which will do a number on most things coming in. Energy Ball and Sludge Bomb are the general STAB moves of choice.

However, making the switch will further increase your weakness to Psychic, most notably Latios. Practically everyone and their mom use that thing! You also seem weak to dragons in general, which is why I would suggest a Choice Scarfed Hydreigon. Hydreigon's typing helps against Psychic-types and has very nice bulk overall. It is also useful against Ghosts, which you said gave you trouble in an earlier post. I would suggest this set:

Hydreigon @Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
-Draco Meteor
-Earth Power
-Fire Blast
-U-turn

The set is standard, but instead uses Earth Power to act as a nasty surprise for Heatran, who can cause problems for the team if Darmanitan goes down early. Earth Power is also great for Rocks and opposing Fire-Types. Draco Meteor is for STAB and is great for catching other Dragons on the switch. Fire Blast is for Grass-Types, and takes advantage of the sunlight. U-turn is mainly for scouting.

You can also replace Discharge on Zapdos for Tailwind. This will provide your team with an extra "speed boost" to outspeed Choiced mons. You already have Thunderbolt for an Electric STAB move. Because you're running a more offensive Zapdos set, Discharge is not necessary to have on him, as it is mainly used on more defensive sets.

Anyway, hope I helped and good luck at Worlds! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)