1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Drought Team

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Naito Raizu, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Naito Raizu

Naito Raizu

This is my first RMT Thread. This is one for my Drought Team, and I'm really just looking for small tidbits of advice to make this better than it already is.

Ninetales

[​IMG]

Item: Leftovers

Ability: Drought

Moves: Protect, Substitute, Toxic, Fire Blast

Nature: Timid

EV Spread: 4 to SpA, 252 to SpD, 252 to Spe

Aside from being the weather inducer of the team, Ninetales is a wall for the team, capable of forcing out Special Sweepers and stalling out most popular walls. Ninetales carries a set that can be used on almost any wall. The added Fire Blast allows Ninetales to fend off a few opponent Pokemon, though not many. It's more used to finish off a weakened Tyranitar or Politoed that switch in to get Sunlight off of the field. Toxic can be used to subdue powerful sweepers such as Dragonite which pose a threat at full health. Finally, Protect and Substitute remain simply to barricade Ninetales' health from damage.

Venusaur

[​IMG][​IMG]

Item: Black Sludge

Ability: Chlorophyll

Moves: Growth, Giga Drain, Sleep Powder, Hidden Power Fire

Nature: Modest

EV Spread: 4 to HP, 252 to SpA, 252 to Spe

As predicted for most weather teams, Venusaur is the premier Special Sweeper of the team, carrying Growth purely to boost it's Special Attack stat. Giga Drain is just for pure STAB factor on Grass while Hidden Power Fire is to beat down Skarmory and other troublesome Steel types that gets in the way of Venusaur. Sleep Powder puts to sleep pesky sweepers such as Salamence so that he can be switched out for a Pokemon better equip to fight it. Black Sludge is also held by Venusaur for small health recovery and to damage common Trick users such as Rotom

Considered Modifications: Replacing Sleep Powder with Sludge Bomb in order to hit Dragon types for neutral damage.

Aerodactyl

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Item: Focus Sash

Ability: Pressure

Moves: Stone Edge, Earthquake, Taunt, Stealth Rock

Nature: Jolly

EV Spread: 4 to HP, 252 to ATK, 252 to Spe

A former OU lead champion in the DPP Generation, Aerodactyl is a holds an essential role on the team. Since Aerodactyl is no longer predicted, as it was disbanded very early in the Black/White Generation due to Team Preview. Aerodactyl is used to deal with Jellicent, Chansey, Blissey, and defensive forms of weather inducers using Taunt. Carrying the special DPP Edgequake combo, Aerodactyl can hit anything for at the very least, neutral damage. Lastly, Stealth Rock can be used at anytime, no matter if it's to reset it after a Rapid Spin, or to set up it's first layer to disrupt the opponent's forces. Aerodactyl also carries Focus Sash to ensure it's survival against foes such as Politoed and Tyranitar, which would normally OTK Aerodactyl

Forretress

[​IMG](image unavailable as no sprite will show up)

Ability: Sturdy

Moves: Earthquake, Rapid Spin, Stealth Rock, Spikes

Nature: Impish

EV Spread: 252 to HP, 4 to ATK, 252 to DEF

Forretress looks like exactly what it's designed for. This bagworm is specifically for Rapid Spinning away entry hazards, setting up it's own, then being switched out to tick off the opponent. Forretress carries Stealth Rocks for it's initial set up, but carries Spikes in order to set up a secondary entry hazard layer in situations where Aerodactyl has already setup Stealth Rock, or where Forretress is able to stay on the field long enough to throw up more entry hazards than just Stealth Rocks. Earthquake is carried to simply inflict damage to physical sweepers that decide to stay in on Forretress.

Considered Modifications: Replacing Earthquake with Volt Switch in order to ensure damage and a switch out, which allows for neutral damage on nearly every physical threat in the OU metagame, and the added advantage of breaking the Multiscale threat from Dream World Dragonite.
    Replacing Spikes with Toxic Spikes in order to give another Toxic advantage to the team in case Venusaur's Sleep Powder is replaced. Disadvantage is the lack of usefulness Toxic on both Ninetales and Blissey would have.

Blissey
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Ability: Natural Cure

Moves: Ice Beam, Wish, Protect, Toxic

Nature: Calm

EV Spread: 4 to HP, 252 to DEF, 252 to SpD

Blissey is obviously the wall of the team. She carries Wish to heal the HP of every other member, Protect to try and stall out sweepers such as Tornadus-T and Latios, while Toxic is used to badly poison every dangerous, non Steel type and non Poison type threat. Ice Beam is carried to add additional support to Blissey against Dragon type adversaries, since Ferrothorn is no longer a threat because of Ninetales and Infernape, and Seismic Toss cannot touch Subdisable Gengar, which poses a major threat to Blissey. Leftovers is carried as the item in order to nullify Sandstorm and Hail damage, allowing Blissey to maintain constant health in the two damaging weather conditions.

Considered Modifications: Replacing Ice Beam with another damaging move (yet to be determined) since Blissey can really only wall four of the Dragon type threats in the OU tier, and Skarmory outpaces Blissey in stall matches with the small amounts of damage that Blissey can actually deal with the attack.
    Replacing Ice Beam with Heal Bell. Toxic and Spore pose a major threat to the team, and since Toxic cannot heal over time in battle, it causes a major problem in the case where Infernape or Aerodactyl need to stay on the field longer than usual.

Infernape

[​IMG]

Item: Life Orb

Ability: Iron Fist

Moves: Flare Blitz, Thunder Punch, Mach Punch, Stone Edge

Nature: Jolly

EV Spread: 252 to ATK, 4 to SpD, 252 to Spe

Infernape is the physical sweeper of the team, capable of felling a Multiscale Dragonite after it has been subject to entry hazard damage. Infernape carries powerful Fighting type STAB for Mach Punch which is enhanced by Iron Fist and Life Orb. Thunder Punch is used to rid Infernape of threats such as Jellicent and Politoed, while the carried Stone Edge is used to fell Dragon types like Salamence. Lastly, Flare Blitz under sun overpowers most enemies that take neutral damage from it. Life Orb is carried for the power boost and the added benefit of being able to change moves in the heat of battle, an advantage not carried by Choice items.

Considered Modifications: Replacing Stone Edge or Flare Blitz with Fire Punch, in order to obtain the extra Iron Fist STAB, for a more powerful attack.
    Replacing Mach Punch for Drain Punch, in order to have a Giga Drain like move on Infernape, and to have more power than Mach Punch.

Weaknesses: The team falls prey to Gengar often, and finds itself with Blissey as it's last line of defense against the ghost. Blissey is able to overpower the Pokemon, but only if it's SubDisable Moveset is not being used. Otherwise the match becomes a stall match which Blissey loses after a long time. Blissey also comes across Skarmory and other Steel types which beat it down easily.

Venusaur falls prey only to Dragon type opponents when Sleep Powder does not work, which happens more often than he'd like.

Any advice is appreciated, though specifically, considered modifications would be helpful to have sorted out. Thank you for all who take this seriously and help me improve my team.

Also, a little rating down at the bottom, which rates my team from 1 to 10 would be helpful, with 10 being superb and 1 being complete garbage.

Last note, please tell me if anything other information is required for aid. I will be happy to post it.
  2. Dr Ciel

Dr Ciel

Hello.

Sun teams seem to be getting more popular, despite it getting barely any toys to use, it's still a classic weather style. This team seems to be very well put together, so hopefully with this rate, it can be even better, so let's get right in to it. First off, I would suggest that you use a Sunny Day Set over your current one. Due to the surge of Rain teams lately, Ninetales basically needs Sunny Day to win the weather war, otherwise, this team is made useless. Moving right along, on your Venusaur, I would definitely go with Sludge Bomb. Like you said, you need Sludge Bomb to hit Dragons for neutral damage. Also, I would like to suggest using Life Orb over your current item of Black Sludge. Life Orb gives Venusaur that extra power that turns 2HKOs into OHKOs on various threats. Up next, Aerodactyl is a shaky user of SR, so I suggest that you use a Focus Sash Mamoswine in place of it. Mamoswines immunity to both Hail and Sand make it a very solid user of Stealth Rock, and it can even fire off a powerful STAB Earthquake to kill off a Pokemon or two. Next up on Forretress, you should change its EV spread to one of 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD over your current one. The aftermentioned EV spread allows Forry to wall a significant portion of the metagame. While staying on the topic of Forretress, you should use Toxic Spikes over Stealth Rock. Toxic Spikes obviously, help Venusaur sweep easier. Well, that's all i have to say for this team, I hope my advice helped just a bit. Have fun and good luck with your team!

Sets (open)
    [​IMG]
    Ninetales @ Leftovers Lv. 100 -- Drought

Nature: Timid - EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 Spd

- Roar
    - Flamethrower
    - Sunny Day
    - Will-O-Wisp

[​IMG]
    Mamoswine @ Focus Sash Lv. 100 -- Thick Fat

Nature: Adamant - EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd

- Earthquake
    - Endeavor
    - Ice Shard
    - Stealth Rock

~Dr Ciel~ (The doctor is OUT)
  3. Naito Raizu

Naito Raizu

Thank you for the advice. I'll do some test runs with the suggested sets to see how they work out.
  4. Katzali

Katzali

I can't see a lot of problems with this team other than what Dr Ciel has already mentioned, so I would just like to suggest changing Blissey's EV spread. I't SpD is already immense, and I personally think it could benefit more from a 96 HP 156 SpD spread.
  5. Mr. Green

Mr. Green

Hi, nice Sun Team.

I suggest you change the set of Ninetales version ChestoRester. This, of course, to play more quietly Weather War and to last longer Ninetales so you have the sun as possible.
    I also note that both Aerodactyl that Forretress have Stealth Rock. Aerodactyl in BW2 is not exactly the best I'd change a Pokémon more useful, for example Dugtrio to kill opponents Weather, perhaps giving him Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes> Stealth Rock Forretress.
    I suggest Sludge Bomb> Sleep Powder and Life Orb> Black Sludge (to do more damage) to Venusaur to be able to kill Latios and Latias.
    Good Luck, with your team!

Set:
    Show Hide
    Dugtrio (F) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Arena Trap
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Reversal
    - Stone Edge / Sucker Punch / Substitute

Ninetales (M) @ Chesto Berry
    Trait: Drought
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Flamethrower
    - Rest
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Sunny Day

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)